ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM   #41
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Around here, we give the vehicle a path. If they have an open lane, especially on a 4 lane road, then we just move over and slow, we don't stop (not all the time). The only time I stop is if I am at an intersection, or near a driveway. I let the vehicle know they have the right of way over me.

It's the same story here in toronto... mind you 70% of our population can't drive, and blatantly ignores the sirens, the other 30% move out of the way as best they can
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:09 PM   #42
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

My experience has been that ANY confrontation with another motorist, be it a gesture (like half a Peace Sign), or knocking off a rear view mirror, or yelling and cursing, ultimately has a bad result for the motorcyclist. A better result can be achieved by noting the person's license number---getting a picture--most of us carry cell phones with cameras, and calling the local law enforcement officer. Motorcyclists are, for better or worse, stereotyped as hot heads who take the law into their own hands. When a motorcyclist calls a LEO, that call is taken seriously and dealt with in a serious fashion. Try it. You will be pleased with the result. Ask me how I know?
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:27 PM   #43
RedNinja09
RedNinja09

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

You know what, next time I WILL note the plate #. It was dark and confusing but next time the next a-hole is going DOWN.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:00 PM   #44
Sailariel

Chris, We had a guy mess with us (5 riders on sports bikes) and we noted the plate# and description of the car and called the law on a cell phone. The LEO stopped the car and took statements from all five of us. The guy went down---$575.00 fine, license suspended for 90 days. His insurance will invariably go up considerably for the next three years. None of us were terribly upset. We let the sheriff do his job---that's what we pay taxes for, and left the outcome to the discretion of the judge. Justice was served. That's what life should be like in a civilized society. Take the law in your own hands and you might feel better initially, but the offender will not get what he has coming to him, and you put yourself at his level.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:51 PM   #45
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

After a problem, try to get as much distance between you and the problem as possible.

Either slow down, change roads or speed up.

I once had a guy get mad, break check me (unusual because I wasn't tailgating), Swirve from side to side in his lane, break check me again (this time I just went around him). At the next stop sign the Jerk began to open his car door, so I gunned it and left him with one foot out of his car and unable to chase me. I later called the local police and gave then the license plate number and a discription of the driver.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 03:14 PM   #46
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Chris, We had a guy mess with us (5 riders on sports bikes) and we noted the plate# and description of the car and called the law on a cell phone...
Around here when you call the police to report something like this they just refer you to an automated road rage hot line which only generates a form letter to be mailed to the license plate owner. There are no citations issued, no LEO is sent to interview the driver, no legal repercussions at all. No record is kept to generate a history against the driver, no notations in any database anywhere. It's just a panacea to make the reporting person feel like something got done even though nothing actually does.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:16 PM   #47
Sailariel

Frugal, All we reported was that we had witnessed a driver who was driving in a dangerous fashion---along with plate # and vehicle description. Once the guy was pulled over and the LEO was doing his thing, we pulled over and gave OUR side of the incident. We know all about the Road Rage Hotline.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:43 PM   #48
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
After a problem, try to get as much distance between you and the problem as possible.

Either slow down, change roads or speed up.

I once had a guy get mad, break check me (unusual because I wasn't tailgating), Swirve from side to side in his lane, break check me again (this time I just went around him). At the next stop sign the Jerk began to open his car door, so I gunned it and left him with one foot out of his car and unable to chase me. I later called the local police and gave then the license plate number and a discription of the driver.
I had a similar incident, and the guy kept making finger guns at me and acting like he was shooting, but I got lucky that there was a State Trooper stopped by the side of the road before the next exit from the highway (taking it was my first plan).

I pulled in hell bent for leather to the side of the road by the trooper's car as the other guy was pulling in behind me. I threw up my visor and yelled to the trooper something to the effect that the guy was trying to run me off the road and may have a gun.

The trooper exited his car like a shot, called for backup, and pretty soon we were surrounded by a half dozen state police cars and a dozen angry troopers performing a full on felony stop. They took my statement, ran his information, and found numerous outstanding citations for traffic violations and failures to appear for domestic abuse. He got arrested, and I got the troopers to call my command and explain why I was several hours late for work!