ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 9th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #1
RedNinja09
RedNinja09

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Have a 09 Ninja 250. Thinking of upgrading to Yamaha FZ6R. Thoughts ?

Hey all,

Althought I have always said, I will NEVER get rid of my 1st bike, my 2009 red Ninja. The need for speed is creeping into my soul. I want to go faster, I want to be able to keep up with traffic better and ride on the highway without fear of blowing off the road and jamming the throttle to keep up with the flow of traffic. Any thoughts ? Anyone have this bike ? What do you think ? I know I can sell my Ninja in about 3 seconds, for a down payment that isn't an issue.

Appreciated fellow Ninja riders.

Red

Old May 9th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Hop on one and see how you like it. Nothing we can say will be as definitive as your own personal experience.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 04:07 AM   #3
kawboyCAFE
im a NinFo!....

Name: 00000000000

Motorcycle(s): 00000000000000000

the FZ6R is a real good bike. but it gets about 20 mpg less than your 250. at $4 a gallon and rising, its your call.
kawboyCAFE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #4
RedNinja09
RedNinja09

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Gas

Man, that is a LOT less MPG. That is something I didnt even think about. I dont know I am on the fence. I guess I need to do a little test drive....

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #5
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

It's like a 4 cylinder 650r and I honestly think it looks better, minus the mirrors. As for the fuel economy, it is a bit worse but so is just about anything compared to the ninjette. It's a good upgrade choice.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Look at the older fz6 bikes not the 6r. The 6r gets around 70 hp and the fz6 gets around 97. On my 07 fz6 I get around 50mpg my ninjette gets between 45 and 55 depending on how I am riding it.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #7
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNinja09 View Post
Hey all,

Althought I have always said, I will NEVER get rid of my 1st bike, my 2009 red Ninja. The need for speed is creeping into my soul. I want to go faster, I want to be able to keep up with traffic better and ride on the highway without fear of blowing off the road and jamming the throttle to keep up with the flow of traffic. Any thoughts ? Anyone have this bike ? What do you think ? I know I can sell my Ninja in about 3 seconds, for a down payment that isn't an issue.

Red
Remember, the 6R is also at least a 100lbs heavier than your 250. Ive never ridden a 6R, but sat on one and it feels good. But that extra weight is going to make a difference in your day to day riding.

Honestly, you dont start to appreciate your 250 until you ride a bigger bike for a bit. There are many things about the 250 that you will miss when you get rid of it. I guess if you can only have one bike, get the one that works best for you - but the 250 has a lot more potential than you are giving credit for.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #8
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

After demo riding a 2011 FZ6R at Daytona I have to say I was seriously impressed by it. The weight factor isn't quite as noticeable as you might think (and I have a pregen which is even lighter then your newgen ). It's supposed to get in the mid-40's for mpg, but I have read reviews of people easily getting into the 50's with it. It is very comfortable to ride, smooth in both the suspension and engine vibration. The power delivery was good at low rpm's then grows quickly after about 7k rpm. The seat height isn't much different but the shape and cushion of the seat is better (especially compared to the newgen).

The bike was designed as a do-it-all style of mid-range bike and it does it quite well. I was reading Beginner Motorcycle Reviews and one of the writers who has been a major fan of the SV650 for several years (always compares anything else he rides to that as it is his favorite) was won over by the FZ6R as his new favorite overall motorcycle above it's competition. So Yamaha must be doing something right with it. I plan on getting one in the future as well for more distant cruising. I plan to keep my pregen however and use it more as a local daily rider like I do now.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #9
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

Id go with the r6
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #10
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

CBR 600rr

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #11
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

R6 and fz6r is like comparing apples to oranges....both nice bikes though

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHooligan View Post
Id go with the r6
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #12
setasai

What is considered a crappy bike? I always here recommendations about different bikes and from what I understand it's all about preference. What are some bikes to definitely stay away from?

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #13
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
What is considered a crappy bike? I always here recommendations about different bikes and from what I understand it's all about preference. What are some bikes to definitely stay away from?
Green ones.

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #14
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Green ones.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #15
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I saw that one coming, lol.

Old May 10th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #16
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Honda rebels
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #17
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Green ones.
Oh ouch. That's cold!

Old May 11th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
well i just picked up a 93 fzr600 a few weeks ago. it is more stable then the ninja on the highway with the massive wheels and tires. getting up to speed is less of an issue, but really the ninja 250 gets up to speed more than fast enough. going slow on the fzr takes much more attention both on the power control and on the steering.. that thing seems much harder to balance (i'm talking like <1mph). when you're already going fast, going faster for a quick pass or to get in the next lane or whatever is much easier obviously. having all that power can sometimes be a slight burdon... obviously i'm just not used to it yet but having to actively try to keep from putting down too much power to prevent wheelies or having your rear get squigly out is new to me and a little intimidating

that being said the newer fz6rs are more street bike than the fizzer and don't have as much twitchy throttle it seems... iirc like 15-20 hp less, but smoother and more torque for easier use on the street.

but anyway, buy what makes you fancy in the pants. almost any bike made by a reputable manufacturer is going to be a kick in the fun spot to ride. if you get bored with one, find one you aren't bored with. but honestly its not the bike you ride, its how you ride the bike. the ninja is an amazing bike and you can really have a ton of fun with it. maybe not the best bike for speeding on the highway though.

Old May 11th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #19
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

the class of 1998 was the year (is the year) when yamaha, kawasaki and aprilia blew the lid off of half litre performance, looks, blah blah. would love a 98 yama or kawa.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #20
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Look at the older fz6 bikes not the 6r. The 6r gets around 70 hp and the fz6 gets around 97. On my 07 fz6 I get around 50mpg my ninjette gets between 45 and 55 depending on how I am riding it.
ZX-6R is aloooot of bike. Unlike the 650R
blink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #21
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I rode to a local dealer for fun today and saw the new fz6r, cbr600rr, r6, cbr250, and some others. I sat on all the models I listed and found that the fz6r is 1,000,000 times more comfortable than any of the rest. Me being a larger guy, 6'2", the bike was a perfect fit for a commuter / leisurely ride. It has a very upright riding position. The r6 had a great seat height for me (very high), enough for me to flat foot it and it felt comfortable until you bend down to grab the handle bars which seem to sit lower than the seat; putting a lot of weight on your wrists. The r6 looks bad a$$ (see below) but if I were to buy it my first mod would be handlebar risers. The cbr600rr was honestly a perfect fit for me, exactly what I look for in a bike; it has a medium seat height, the handlebars are low enough but not too low like the r6 (a great medium between our ninjettes handlebar height and the r6's), the windscreen was placed in a great position for me to tuck in behind it and the dash looks awesome. If I could get the feel of the 600rr in the r6 body I would be in love, but that might happen from simply installing the handlebar risers.

Old May 13th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #22
MrBrownTX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brown

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja EX250

I expect an FZ6 or an SV650 will be my next bike. Something with some more guts but not something I have to lay down and strecth out across to ride.
MrBrownTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #23
rc_cola
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja CT Blue 250r

Another one I'd consider is a Ducati Monster 696. I think it would be a great commuter bike, looks aggressive but still has a comfortable stance...
rc_cola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #24
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

if you go used monster, go monster s2r, won't regret it. check 'em out.

Old May 20th, 2011, 06:58 AM   #25
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

I also wanted to move up from Ninja to an FZ6R... I was ready to dump my underpowered beast, and had a whole thread about it couple of months back. But I was able to go smart and talk my buddy into getting an FZ6R for himself... so I have now both bikes sitting in my garage

I rode the Yamaha yesterday. Being on public streets, I did not take it over 50 mph, so take what I say with that in mind. FZ6R is a nice, docile bike... nothing dramatic will be happening under 6K rpm or so. Powerful, but very manageable. Good looking. The only problem, it's not as much fun as Ninja. Honest. It's heavier and not as flickable in turns. The power comes easy, you don't have to work for it, and, frankly, it's less rewarding. Just twist the throttle, in any gear, and go. No flogging, no shifting, no clutch dumping. Like driving a car with an automatic. Perhaps the fun starts on the right side of the tach, above 50mph. I haven't taken it there, so I don't know. But, after a couple of miles on the street, I was looking forward to going back to Ninja. I am so glad I have not "traded up".

Figure out a way to ride one, and see for yourself.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #26
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

All the cool riders are on a 600/650/1000cc bikes.

With that in mind, you should get one.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #27
shanesalty
ninjette.org member

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
I also wanted to move up from Ninja to an FZ6R... I was ready to dump my underpowered beast, and had a whole thread about it couple of months back. But I was able to go smart and talk my buddy into getting an FZ6R for himself... so I have now both bikes sitting in my garage

I rode the Yamaha yesterday. Being on public streets, I did not take it over 50 mph, so take what I say with that in mind. FZ6R is a nice, docile bike... nothing dramatic will be happening under 6K rpm or so. Powerful, but very manageable. Good looking. The only problem, it's not as much fun as Ninja. Honest. It's heavier and not as flickable in turns. The power comes easy, you don't have to work for it, and, frankly, it's less rewarding. Just twist the throttle, in any gear, and go. No flogging, no shifting, no clutch dumping. Like driving a car with an automatic. Perhaps the fun starts on the right side of the tach, above 50mph. I haven't taken it there, so I don't know. But, after a couple of miles on the street, I was looking forward to going back to Ninja. I am so glad I have not "traded up".

Figure out a way to ride one, and see for yourself.
Everytime I read reviews on the R6 they always bring up the fact that there is no low or mid range on the bike. Basically stating it is great on the track but no so much for street riding. Do you agree with that? I love the style and feel of the R6 but I will probably never do any track days so I want something for the streets.
shanesalty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #28
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanesalty View Post
Everytime I read reviews on the R6 they always bring up the fact that there is no low or mid range on the bike. Basically stating it is great on the track but no so much for street riding. Do you agree with that? I love the style and feel of the R6 but I will probably never do any track days so I want something for the streets.
My comment was about FZ6R, not R6. I can't say about R6 (yet ). The FZ6R is easy to ride on the street, and feels more like sport touring bike rather than pure sports bike.

Old May 20th, 2011, 08:20 AM   #29
shanesalty
ninjette.org member

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Blue

I feel like a dummy. lol
shanesalty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #30
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Lol... I hope the review on R6 will be quite different

Old May 20th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #31
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the low-end power on the fz6r is the reason it's a street bike. they stole some top end power to shove it down low. they used to have their fancy "exup" system which was a butterfly valve in the exhaust which basically choked it out when you were in the low rev range, which gave you great low-end grunt without sacrificing the top end much. but since the fzr split into the yzfs (r6) and the fzs (fz6r) they ditched the exup on the fz for cost and rejetted it for lower grunt... i believe they only use exup on the r1 now... maybe r6 too.

Old May 20th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #32
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNinja09 View Post
Hey all,

Red
The Fazer has been a top worldwide performer for years and the bike was just re-done for 2010 @ $7k msrp. Great step up bike from the ninja, even tuned the same, ie; low and mid-range torque over top end (still does 120 like that).

Old May 20th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #33
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord View Post
It's like a 4 cylinder 650r and I honestly think it looks better, minus the mirrors. As for the fuel economy, it is a bit worse but so is just about anything compared to the ninjette. It's a good upgrade choice.
Brainiac scores relentlessly.

Old May 20th, 2011, 03:26 PM   #34
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
All the cool riders are on a 600/650/1000cc bikes.

With that in mind, you should get one.
Logic, why didn't any one of you others think of that. You better stick around dude, muey importante!

Old May 20th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #35
Havok
Internet Slut

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

The fz6 has a stronger engine then the 6r. the 6r has plastic though. I love my fz6 mild easy going plenty of roll on power perfect for the street. take that baby up to 7k and its an entirely different bike
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2011, 08:07 AM   #36
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I noticed my dealer still had an FZ6 from the last year of production on the floor the other day, so some dealers still have them. Not sure why Yamaha dumped the 600cc FZ for an 800cc model, but I've always thought the FZ6 was a great bike to move up to from the Ninja250. Much less twitchy and more comfortable than the R6.
I think I'd prefer the FZ6 to the FZ6R. I've always liked the naked look of the FZ6 and wasn't completely thrilled with the plastic they added to the FZ6R, nor the lower seat height. Both are good looking machines though. I still remember the first time I saw a Fazer on the street and wondering what planet it landed from. I miss that radical Yamaha styling that started in the 80s.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:21 AM   #37
Toly
ninjette.org guru

I was able to spend some quality time with the FZ6R today, and explore other facets of the beast. The bike pulls effortlessly, never straining, in any gear, at any rpm. The engine and power delivery are silky smooth, yet there is a noticeable inrush of power at 7K rpm all the way to the redline. It feels a bit disconcerting at first, but not overwhelming. You can get used to it quite quickly, and get addicted to it. But, if one were to truly ride it in anger (or make newbie mistakes), that would bring accelerations and speeds that would be outright scary to inexperienced riders.

So, while the left half of tachometer is quite civilized, getting into the higher rpm range brings a silly grin to the face. Whereas Ninja accelerates nicely between 9K and 13K, but runs out of steam before long, going fast on an FZ6R is no sweat... If you like wringing it out, the Ninja will be done accelerating before you're satisfied, while wringing out the Yamaha will overwhelm the unexperienced rider. You can use the power judiciously, and still have fun. However, the bike is noticeably heavier and not as nimble as Ninja. And if you really want to eventually wring it out, there are better sportbikes, like CBR or R6 with far better handling.

The bike is awesome as commuter - speeds of 50, 60 or 75 on the highway are non-events, the bike feels much more stable than Ninja, and is happy to roll, with plenty of power on tap.

In sum, FZ6R is a great highway bike and all-round bike. But unlike Ninja, it's not a hooligan bike. If you like hooning at sane speeds, stick with the Ninja. If you want a true all-out, high-performance bike, consider a CBR or equivalent. And if you want comfy commute with sufficient power and sportbike looks, get the FZ6R.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:21 AM   #38
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Ample supply of FZ6 up here. Also FZ6R.
Posted via Mobile Device
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2011, 06:49 PM   #39
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Just not sure about the cloud looking things on that R6, but the candy red color is sweet, but better than the R1 with those cloud/skull face things.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 10:42 AM   #40
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Just not sure about the cloud looking things on that R6, but the candy red color is sweet, but better than the R1 with those cloud/skull face things.
The R6 has skulls on it too, but other than that the color is amazing, looks 10x better in person. I checked one out at the local dealer the other day
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote