ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 17th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #1
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Only 2 weeks left...

Should I buy the extended warranty? My instinct is no, as anything major to go wrong still won't be that expensive.... I've seen replacement engines going for around $400 which is close to the cost of buying the warranty...
talk me into/out of it!

Old July 17th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

i say no.... especially if you can work on your bikes yourself. even if you can't, i still say no

Old July 17th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #3
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

I think the maintenance cost of the bike is low enough to not have to get extended like you stated.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #4
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I bought the extended warranty because the dealer gave me 4 years for the price of 3 and although I do take great care of my bikes as far as maintenance and repairs, I do intend to hammer the everlovin' bajeezuz outta this engine.

I have terrible luck and if I passed on the warranty, the bike would crap out on me shortly after the warranty expired. How lucky do you consider yourself?
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #5
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I bought 2 extra years so I can keep replacing my CDI for free. On top of that if I sell my lil 250 its transferable.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #6
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

when I originally purchased the bike I got a 3rd party to warranty the bike for 5 years at a low cost. Also the 3rd party a slighty better coverage than Kawi warranty.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods

Old July 17th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #7
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Ryam - what 3rd party is that?

Rock - I'm with you on the terrible luck front....

Old July 17th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #8
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

That extended warranty costs, what, $500 US?
You have to ask yourself, how likely is it that I will need to do more than $500 worth of non-maintenance that wouldn't be covered in the first year by the regular warranty.

Kawasaki (well, actually, whatever insurance company) already know the answer: not very likely. They know that if they sell you the extended warranty at $500 or whatever, they will make a profit from thousands of policies sold.

Old July 17th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #9
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

I believe I have mine through Western General, but not sure off the top of my head. I can dig up the paperwork and give you some figures if you want.

Old July 17th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #10
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Extended warantees are one of the biggest shams on earth. I don't know the details of the Kawi warantee, but most require not only the premium, but also some type of a deductable. Extended Warantees are just another form of insurance and we all know that insurance companies are not in the business of loosing money. The likely hood of you actually needing a warantee covered repair is minimal compared to the actual cost of making the fix. Insurance payouts are financed by the premiums of all policy holders, while still leaving room to pay the wages of customer services, adjusters, agents, and management, while growing the company.

If you are any bit mechanically inclined I strongly suggest avoiding any type of extended warantee. However, if you have no mechanical skills and are afraid of tearing into your bike to learn, then It might be a good idea just for the peace of mind and convenience.

The decision is up to you. But if it was me, I would not purchase the warantee.

Old July 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #11
kkim

read the fine print... all of it and carefully.

I bet you are prohibited from doing at least half of things you've already done to your bike.

you also need to comply with having regular inspections done to keep it force.

I transferred an existing warranty on a car I bought thinking it would save me major repair bills, but in the end, I never used it on an Acura. Never again will I buy an extended warranty.

You own one of the most reliable bikes out there... what major thing could go wrong that you couldn't fix for less than the cost of the policy?

save the money, buy your Quiet Core instead and don't look back. If you need to repair something in the future, you can wrench it and we can help if you get stuck. What better warranty can you get than that?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #12
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Forget about the quiet core...Go for the standard!!!!!
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #13
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Dealer GM friend of mine said skip it. Its japanese.
Posted via Mobile Device
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote