ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 16th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #1
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

transmision clunking on wheel locking ?

For as long as I can remember, whenever I'm in any gear, and my rear wheel locks, I heard a loud un-healthy clunk coming from my transmission, its very similar to the shifting sound. Under hard-braking when the rear wheel quickly locks and unlocks it sound like "clunk clunk clunk !!!!" I'll mention that the clutch is obviously disengaged when I'm braking..

The opposite is also true, if I'm in a 1st gear, and try to do a quick launch (or the wheel spins) it's going to clunk (not all the time though)...its more prone to do it with a heavy load on the drivetrain when I feather the clutch and give it a good amount of gas.

It doesn't do it in neutral.. It's really wierd as it except from that...my transmission works fine...my bike works flawless..it is how it's supposed to sound? I really sounds like a drive-train lash between the clutch and tire but the chain is always under tension so..I dunno..anybody'd 250 does the same?

Old July 16th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Could it just be the play in the cush drive? What is causing the rear wheel to lock/unlock/lock again?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Could it just be the play in the cush drive? What is causing the rear wheel to lock/unlock/lock again?
if it was the culprit it would still do it even in neutral I suppose. but it definitly comes from the transmission. I does that sound under heavy breaking from rear wheel, or locking it on purpose.

Old July 16th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Even with the clutch pulled in, there is still drag on the clutch plates that can cause the gears to bang against eachother if the rear wheel is stopping/starting abruptly. If you put the bike up on a rear stand and get the engine running, the rear wheel often spins even with the clutch pulled all the way in.

When it's in neutral the clutch drag doesn't matter as the gears aren't engaged.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 16th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #5
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

this makes sense..but do other ninja's do that?

Old July 16th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I don't lock my rear wheel and I wear earplugs, never noticed any clunking.

Old July 16th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #7
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Yep other ninjas do it too. I lock my rear wheel every once in awhile for the fun of it, coming to a stop infront of my garage mostly. (I hate my stock tires so working on a reason to get rid of them)

But yeah, there is a clunk when it happens.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2009, 04:38 AM   #8
NJD022588
============

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I've never heard it, but I've only locked the rear once or twice under hard braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Even with the clutch pulled in, there is still drag on the clutch plates that can cause the gears to bang against eachother if the rear wheel is stopping/starting abruptly. If you put the bike up on a rear stand and get the engine running, the rear wheel often spins even with the clutch pulled all the way in.

When it's in neutral the clutch drag doesn't matter as the gears aren't engaged.
Wondered this for a while but never asked...

When my bike is on its rear stand, the transmission is in neutral, and I'm not touching the clutch (its engaged), if I rev the bike hard enough the rear wheel spins slightly. Since the gears are obviously not engaged (neutral), how does this happen?
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2009, 06:02 AM   #9
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickds7 View Post
Yep other ninjas do it too. I lock my rear wheel every once in awhile for the fun of it, coming to a stop infront of my garage mostly. (I hate my stock tires so working on a reason to get rid of them)

But yeah, there is a clunk when it happens.
ahha me too. I Got a sports demon in my shed and in the meanwhile I'm trying to...accelerate the wear with random rear locks and such Thank you to confirm that clunk..!

Old July 17th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #10
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD022588 View Post
I've never heard it, but I've only locked the rear once or twice under hard braking.

Wondered this for a while but never asked...

When my bike is on its rear stand, the transmission is in neutral, and I'm not touching the clutch (its engaged), if I rev the bike hard enough the rear wheel spins slightly. Since the gears are obviously not engaged (neutral), how does this happen?
I would say it's the small friction of the transmission and the fluids going around it. Even if the gears aren't engage you still have shaft turning into other shaft being lubricated with oil..which transfer a bit of movement.. I'm pretty sure that's what's happening

Old July 17th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #11
NJD022588
============

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
I would say it's the small friction of the transmission and the fluids going around it. Even if the gears aren't engage you still have shaft turning into other shaft being lubricated with oil..which transfer a bit of movement.. I'm pretty sure that's what's happening
As far as I know, this is the only way it could happen, but it still just doesnt seem possible... unless there is almost no friction in the sprocket/chain/rear axle combo.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #12
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

My 09 with 4800 miles doesn't lock the rear on smooth road when coming to hard stop. Maybe while I am pulling hard on the front lever I am moving my weight back therefore not letting the rear tire get to light??
Posted via Mobile Device
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote