ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 9th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #1
esi7esi7

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 09 ZX6R

Question Penske Rear Shock - Where to mount?

Where did y'all mount your reservoir? On the tray under the subframe? On the side? These bikes are so tiny there aren't many options.

Please post pics if you've got one installed!

Old August 1st, 2011, 07:38 PM   #2
krakatak
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

I just bought a penske shock with remote reservoir and having the same problem. I would attach to the passenger peg bracket, but I took those off when I got the Area P hi-mount exhaust

I see two options: drill holes in the undertail and zip tie (not near moving parts, but exposed...is that a problem?), or use the metal bands around the tail subframe where the left passenger peg bracket used to be (my left heel will hit it when I'm up on the balls of my feet). A third option could be to remove the airbox and put it in there, but I'm not ready to remove the airbox quite yet.

Since this thread is a year old, I'm hoping you figured out some slick solution and want to share!
krakatak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 08:26 PM   #3
esi7esi7

Name: Lisa

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 09 ZX6R

My bike is in the shop...this is the best pic I could find of the shock.

Old August 1st, 2011, 08:49 PM   #4
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

i made a bracket attached to the top bolts of the exhaust hanger running back towards the rear brake reservoir -make it cradle the remote reservoir and attach with zip ties-the back of the remote should line up in the middle of the rear brake reservoir-i have a ohlins shock but should work the same-i will take picture manana- garage light burned out-
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2011, 09:01 PM   #5
krakatak
ninjette.org member

Wow. That's was a way faster response than I expected!

esi7esi7: Have you had any problems with it mounted there? Looks like a drill and some zip ties (or a dremel to cut slots and the metal bands that came with it) would do the trick, or did you do something more substantial?

ratlab: I'd love to see pictures of that. I'd prefer to have it up out of the way like that, but I went out and looked where I thought you were talking about, and it look pretty cramped with the brake reservoir there.

Old August 1st, 2011, 11:54 PM   #6
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

it looks cramped,but it's not-i took some aluminum and bent it to conform with the round side of the reservoir and followed the angle of the subframe with the braided line and the reservoir-the end of the reservoir is almost touching the bodywork ending about the middle of the rear brake reservoir-i will post pics
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #7
krakatak
ninjette.org member

Finally got the shock mounted up

I finally got a few minutes and figured out what I wanted to to mount up the remote reservoir. I decided that I liked it mounted up along the side frame instead of directly in front of the tire, so I got a couple angle brackets from Ace, chopped them down a little bit, painted them black (with a really crappy paint...I'll have to redo it), bolted them on where the passenger pegs used to be bolted on, and zip tied the reservoir on. I probably don't need the third, super long zip tie, but I figured better safe than sorry.

2011-08-05_19-00-19_951.jpg

I initially had the ri-diculously long hydraulic cable running between the shock and the tire, but that seemed like a really bad idea, so I unbolted and rotated the shock around 360 deg to get it between the shock and the engine. Doesn't seem like it will rub against anything and it's not anywhere too near the engine, so I'm thinking that's how it'll stay.

2011-08-07_23-37-58_404.jpg

I'm new to this, so I apologize if the pictures don't get attached to this post correctly. I'll figure it out later when I have more time :\

And ignore the overzealous preload in the first picture...I was...uh...um...no excuses for it, I was working out some confusion... .