ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old June 19th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #1
97PSStang
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

It was gonna happen eventually- I went down...

And luckily the only thing hurt was my pride. That leather really does the trick

I was just practicing in a parking lot this evening, working on quick stops, etc. and got to doing some deep turns. I scraped my toe a couple times (no knee) and I just lost it and lowsided. Probably going 25-30 or so. My mirrors were pulled in, so they're fine. Lost the turn signal, bent the clutch lever, shift lever, and trashed the fairing.

One question for any tech guys here- the bike shut off after it slid away from me. I stood it up and smelled gas, and saw some fluid on the ground and the rear pegs on the low side. It was then pretty tough to get started again, but it happened eventually. Did I just flood it? Or are there any other problems I should look out for?

Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone whose posts here convinced me to always wear my gear.
97PSStang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #2
shavelieva
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Bodyless Ninja, 1986 Yamaha Towny, 1988 Honda Spree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97PSStang View Post
And luckily the only thing hurt was my pride. That leather really does the trick

I was just practicing in a parking lot this evening, working on quick stops, etc. and got to doing some deep turns. I scraped my toe a couple times (no knee) and I just lost it and lowsided. Probably going 25-30 or so. My mirrors were pulled in, so they're fine. Lost the turn signal, bent the clutch lever, shift lever, and trashed the fairing.

One question for any tech guys here- the bike shut off after it slid away from me. I stood it up and smelled gas, and saw some fluid on the ground and the rear pegs on the low side. It was then pretty tough to get started again, but it happened eventually. Did I just flood it? Or are there any other problems I should look out for?

Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone whose posts here convinced me to always wear my gear.
Depending on how bad your fairing is make sure it didn't knock anything loose.
gas line on tank
make sure no screws pierced your tank

btw how bad is the fairing?

Last futzed with by shavelieva; June 19th, 2010 at 07:14 PM. Reason: addition
shavelieva is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #3
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

Seems to me I remember reading somewhere about vapor lock unburnt gas in the cylinder makes it hard to start after a wreck or lowside.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #4
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Carbed bikes usually need a few minutes after being dumped. It's either vapor lock or just flooded. Glad your ok and your gear did its job. How was your body positioned while you were doing the turn?
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #5
kkim

when you dump a bike on it's side, you empty out the carb bowls as it lays on it's side. that's what you saw on the ground... gas from the carb bowls via the overflow tube and yes... it smells like gas, cause it is.

with the gas petcock the way it is, no more fuel will flow into the carbs until there is vacuum from the engine running/turning. essentially when you righted the bike, the carb bowls were empty. it takes some time to refill the carb bowls to get the gas to a level in the carbs that will start the bike.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #6
vietboiz12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 250r blue :D Cbr600rr Phoenix

sorry to hear u dropping ur bike while u were training. i hate it how ur intention was positive and u still end up laying it down. usually its from over pushing ur limits or hitting some thing slippery. i hit some dirt today in gmr too but it wasnt too bad and i was able to correct it and end up not falling. will insurance cover what u just did? i got comprehensive with my coverage so they would fix that problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
vietboiz12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietboiz12345 View Post
i got comprehensive with my coverage so they would fix that problem.
no, it wouldn't.

Old June 19th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #8
vietboiz12345
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
no, it wouldn't.
really? alstate told me it will as long as it isnt a collison with another bike or car
Posted via Mobile Device
vietboiz12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2010, 09:57 PM   #9
kkim

usually, any time the vehicle is moving and you have an accident, that is covered under collision, no matter if there is another vehicle involved.

comprehensive usually is when the vehicle is not moving and is damaged due to no fault of the owner.

that's how my insurance works/has worked, anyway, throughout the years no matter that I've changed companies multiple times.

you can double check w/ your insurance to clarify and if they'll cover you under comprehensive when you crash maneuvering in parking lot, you've got a great insurance company.

Old June 19th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #10
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

dude im sorry to hear this. i almost dropped my bike today. i've been getting cocky lately and tried to pull off an endo, and i did. Granted it wasnt incredible, the bike pulled a little to the left, and my girlish figure was able to manhandle it back up before slamming on the left side. But had I actually dropped the bike, i'd be very pissed right now thinking about clutch levers and fairings.

Old June 19th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #11
vietboiz12345
ninjette.org member

Quote:
usually, any time the vehicle is moving and you have an accident, that is covered under collision, no matter if there is another vehicle involved.

comprehensive usually is when the vehicle is not moving and is damaged due to no fault of the owner.

that's how my insurance works/has worked, anyway, throughout the years no matter that I've changed companies multiple times.

you can double check w/ your insurance to clarify and if they'll cover you under comprehensive when you crash maneuvering in parking lot, you've got a great insurance company.
i asked them if i hit a rabbit while riding and my bike falls. they will cover it
who are u insured with?
alstate is pretty good for motorcycle

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:00 PM   #12
kkim

Quote:
i asked them if i hit a rabbit while riding and my bike falls. they will cover it
who are u insured with?
alstate is pretty good for motorcycle
ask them the same conditions as the OP stated in his original post and see what they say.

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #13
vietboiz12345
ninjette.org member

Quote:
ask them the same conditions as the OP stated in his original post and see what they say.
obliviously your not gona tell ur insurance the total truth lol
add things to make it fall under your coverage.
duh.

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #14
03slime250
ninjette.org member

Name: dakota

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

i dropped my bike in the driveway a few weeks ago and it took awhile to get it started back up, and since then everytime i start it i have to use the throttle....just the other night it went back to being able to start with just choke
03slime250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #15
kkim

Quote:
really? alstate told me it will as long as it isnt a collison with another bike or car
that's not what you first stated. make up your mind.

um... insurance fraud... great plan.

Brian, sorry this went off topic. I'm done.

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #16
vietboiz12345
ninjette.org member

Quote:
that's not what you first stated. make up your mind.

um... insurance fraud... great plan.

Brian, sorry this went off topic. I'm done.
your taking this wayyy to seriously
im just trying to find a way for the insurance ppl to take care of the bike that brian drop.

Old June 19th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #17
03slime250
ninjette.org member

Name: dakota

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

heres the thread about mine....is yours starting fine now?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47179
03slime250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2010, 05:37 AM   #18
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

That defiantly sucks!

It's good to hear you where not hurt, wearing your gear and practising in a parking lot. Good on you! This is exactly how your supposed to go about practising.

It sounds like you need to work on the "hangin-off" part a bit.. your bike doesn't need to be ANYWHERE near it's max lean to be able to achieve a knee drag.

Brush yourself off, fix your bike... learn from the mistake and get back out there!
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #19
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

The gas can also come out of the gas cap area on the tank if its pretty full. Falls happen. I would never put that on my insurance though. Hopefully it won't happen again. I would just fix anything thats broken.

If your fairing can be salvageable you can always have it fixed by plastic welding and paint it yourself until you find a good deal on one someone is selling.

Old June 20th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #20
97PSStang
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks guys. Yeah, she's starting okayyyyy.... Still needs a little throttle to get going, but hasn't left me completely hanging., and I'm hoping that will go away like Dakota said.

As far as body position, I was trying to get myself hanging off-- head down by the mirror, right arm almost on the tank, butt completely off to the left and my right thigh basically holding me on, but for some reason, it just wasn't happening as far as the knee, and suddenly I was on my back watching sparks fly as my bike slid away from me.

As for insurance, I don't see any reason to tell them about a little lost paint, and some bent parts. I have to work on straightening out the handlebar today. The turn signal actually didn't break at all- it just came apart as if i disassembled it, so a little muscle on the bent levers and handlebars and I should be all set.

Old June 20th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #21
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Sounds like you got lucky as far as injuries and so on...let me know how you get your handle bar straight as mine is bent as well when I went down...
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:48 PM   #22
97PSStang
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
Sounds like you got lucky as far as injuries and so on...let me know how you get your handle bar straight as mine is bent as well when I went down...
Fixed it last night. Removed the bar ends, grips, clutch lever and controls. Then put a three-foot long pipe (with an inner diameter just big enough to fit over the handlebar) over the handlebar up to the bend. Used the leverage (with a friend holding the bike upright) and bent it back pretty close to straight. Found the pipe at a construction site down the road.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old June 24th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #23
TrueFader
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:

state farm payed out for my bike when i low sided alone and they counted it as a comprehensive claim on my record.
TrueFader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #24
TrueFader
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97PSStang View Post
Thanks guys. Yeah, she's starting okayyyyy.... Still needs a little throttle to get going, but hasn't left me completely hanging., and I'm hoping that will go away like Dakota said.

As far as body position, I was trying to get myself hanging off-- head down by the mirror, right arm almost on the tank, butt completely off to the left and my right thigh basically holding me on, but for some reason, it just wasn't happening as far as the knee, and suddenly I was on my back watching sparks fly as my bike slid away from me.

As for insurance, I don't see any reason to tell them about a little lost paint, and some bent parts. I have to work on straightening out the handlebar today. The turn signal actually didn't break at all- it just came apart as if i disassembled it, so a little muscle on the bent levers and handlebars and I should be all set.
be careful trying to bend back your handle bar, i was told it could just snap.

Old June 24th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #25
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFader View Post
state farm payed out for my bike when i low sided alone and they counted it as a comprehensive claim on my record.
you have a great insurance company.

Old June 24th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #26
TrueFader
ninjette.org member

well they dropped me shortly afterward so they "were" great. once my driving record gets a little cleaner i'm planning a reunion