ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old January 26th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #1
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Accident......?

I have had one of those "too hard to open up eye lid" days.

Especially fallen asleep on a bike while taking a corner. What happened next, went straight down a highway drain. It was 4 in the morning. Can't walk properly.

Climbed up. Try to stop other road users for assistance. None stop. Well, given the time the accident was, I would not stop too. I guess i looked like either a Sasquatch or something weird at the side of the road.

Went back down to the drain to get some shut eyes... (yes, I was VERY SLEEPY). Heard a car pulling over (it's actually a truck). The guy helped me out. pulled my bike up. Brought me to the nearest Rest and Recover station.

Sat on the staircase. Dozed off for a couple of hours.

Got home the first thing I was looking for was my pillow and my bed.

Oh, how I was really sleepy that day.
Abu_Mishary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2016, 03:51 AM   #2
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
any damage to the bike or you?
sounds like you're ok, never ride when tired (guess you learned that).

I won't drive if I am that tired.

Old January 27th, 2016, 05:58 AM   #3
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Driving tired is just as bad as driving drunk.

Not trying to kick you when you are down, and glad you are ok.

Before any ride you need to do a risk assessment are the bike, the conditions, and you up to the ride.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2016, 08:37 AM   #4
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
any damage to the bike or you?
I second that question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
never ride when tired (guess you learned that).
I second that advise.

Heal-up.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 27th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #5
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Name: andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250

how could you go back to sleep after something like that? Unless you passed out from pain or something! My adrenalin would be through the roof and Id be calling someone with my cell phone for help!

Glad you're ok tho! Hopefully no serious injuries?
walty87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #6
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Yikes. That would be scary. Are you ok?

I agree that driving/riding tired is as bad as being drunk. It's been suggested that tired is worse than drunk, since people who won't drink and drive will get going when they're too tired to do it. I've done it, too, and it's a scary thing to realize that you don't remember driving the last couple of miles. Especially on Pacific Coast Highway, which is all cliffs and curves. With that drop on the one side down to ocean.

Won't be doing that again.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2016, 01:33 PM   #7
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Very sorry to hear about your crash. I hope you weren't hurt too badly and that your moto is abled to be quickly repaired and on the road again.

If you can provide more details about your incident please do , it is helpful for our members so that they can learn from our mistakes without having to duplicate them.

Old January 27th, 2016, 06:01 PM   #8
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
This happened a few years back.

No serious injuries, except that i am not able to walk properly for a few weeks. Most probably due to the impact.

Bike had to visit the workshop.. No major damage, except had to replace the tank and left side fairing... Dealer only sells in pairs, so replaced the left fairing and put the right one for sale via online. lol.

Old January 27th, 2016, 06:26 PM   #9
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
Very sorry to hear about your crash. I hope you weren't hurt too badly and that your moto is abled to be quickly repaired and on the road again.

If you can provide more details about your incident please do , it is helpful for our members so that they can learn from our mistakes without having to duplicate them.
I was on a holiday with a couple of friends. We were heading to Cherating Beach in Pahang. We stayed there a couple of days. However, I was not fully rested. When I was at the beach, I was having a blast with enjoying live band, Karaoke-ing and having seafood, even when both my travel buddies were asleep.

On the third day, one of us had to departed earlier as he has an emergency appointment with a patient. So left only the two of us.

As we were heading home, we stopped for a while for a rest and I told my friend that i wanted to stop by at the nearest town for sight seeing. He can't continue as he has to head back by earliest since he is working the next day. So we separated and I was alone.

Bear in mind that I was still exhausted from the ride heading to the beach and still exhausted as only slept about 2-3 hours the night before. As I arrived at the nearest town, I was not heading for a hotel, but was still looking for karaoke session (yes, i am a sucker for microphones) and live band gigs nearby. As time passed, it was around 2 am and I was really tired. With summoning all the strength I had left I was looking around for a room to crash.

It seems all rooms were either occupied or booked. The only ones left were the premium rooms which cost pretty damn expensive. Thinking that I am still up for it and it was only around 25 miles to reach home I gambled riding my bike.

Man, how I lost that bet. As if the dealer hit "blackjack" when you have put all you have on the table.The road from the town I was at and to my home was really just twists and turns. You may google it up : "Karak Highway".

With the night cold breeze hitting my face, I could not have felt the most difficult thing to do in my entire life which was to stay awake. I struggled. Struggled as my life depended on it. But i lost.

The only thing I could remember was taking a hi-speed corner (but I was slow) and woke up in the ditch.

I learnt it the hard way.

Old January 27th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #10
BernawanFR
ninjette.org member

Name: Bernawan

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2011

Never ride when tired, been in that situation before (didn't crash though) but it was really dangerous and could be fatal.

Glad I found a coffee shop to boost my energy up.
And of course I'm glad that you are ok
BernawanFR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2016, 08:15 PM   #11
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernawanFR View Post
Glad I found a coffee shop to boost my energy up.
I seriously envy you. I am the kind of guy which drinks coffee everyday and before going to bed but still able to get some shut eyes. The only problem if I drink coffee is that I pee a lot!

Old January 27th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #12
MBZuki
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the month

It's pretty wild how much sleep deprivation can affect you.
MBZuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #13
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBZuki View Post
It's pretty wild how much sleep deprivation can affect you.
Yes, and it is pretty wild to think I could withstand the sleepiness. Thank God I did not lose my life! In other bends at the Karak highway, there are no ditches, only metal barrier to stop you falling from a ravine or a cliff.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 27th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #14
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
I'm not a doctor and don't pretend to be one. But I do remember clearly that you shouldn't sleep if you get into an accident. An accident may cause a concussion and sleeping while being concussed is a really bad thing (I'm told). I remember knocking my head (helmet) on the ground snowboarding one time and when I got back to the hotel, I just wanted to sleep. None of my friends would allow it.

Old February 27th, 2016, 11:26 PM   #15
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
I'm not a doctor and don't pretend to be one. But I do remember clearly that you shouldn't sleep if you get into an accident. An accident may cause a concussion and sleeping while being concussed is a really bad thing (I'm told). I remember knocking my head (helmet) on the ground snowboarding one time and when I got back to the hotel, I just wanted to sleep. None of my friends would allow it.
This is an old wives tale. Sleeping is fine and will probably set the injured person better off.

Edit: To clarify, the reason that people are advised to stay awake in the first 24h after a suspected traumatic brain injury is to check for any changes in the person's mental status in the short period after the injury. There is nothing inherently harmful or dangerous in sleeping. The goal is to keep a close eye on the person's responsiveness and breathing.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 28th, 2016, 06:32 PM   #16
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
This is an old wives tale. Sleeping is fine and will probably set the injured person better off.

Edit: To clarify, the reason that people are advised to stay awake in the first 24h after a suspected traumatic brain injury is to check for any changes in the person's mental status in the short period after the injury. There is nothing inherently harmful or dangerous in sleeping. The goal is to keep a close eye on the person's responsiveness and breathing.
Good to know!!!

Old February 28th, 2016, 09:46 PM   #17
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
The ditch was so tempting for me to sleep in it (at that time)..................

Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:53 AM   #18
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
When my brother got a concussion, the protocol was to check on him every two hours, though he was allowed to sleep between-times.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote