ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old March 30th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #41
diablo250
Crafty Salesman....

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r, 06 sv650sf

Should I bringg my service manual?
Posted via Mobile Device
diablo250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #42
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
CC is right. There are far too many people blasting through corners on their Ninjas lately who aren't prepared for what they may unexpectedly encounter in that turn. More people seem fixated in getting their knee down in a corner than getting through the corner safely. Why are you even trying to drag a knee on the street? Gravel and sand are everywhere this time of year. If you want to practice hanging off, do it at a track.
I don't drag my knee...never said I did....that's KCs thing...he pops wheelies and knee drags.......

I don't blast threw corners either.....

I don't practice hanging off either......

Get the facts straight....I crashed- made a mistake...that's a fact.
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #43
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo250 View Post
Should I bringg my service manual?
Posted via Mobile Device
It wouldn't hurt....

Old March 30th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #44
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgirl View Post
So sorry to hear. Glad your not hurt. At least you get to buy a new helmet.

How much would your premiums go up by if you claimed it? If possible to fix your bike for not too much, that might be the better route. I'm not sure about down there, but up here it takes 6 years for your premiums to back down after an At-Fault accident. Good luck man.

Oh, and try not to feel too personally attacked. It's important for all of us to learn from each others and our own mistakes. People are going to pick apart your crash, it's gonna suck. But hopefully we can keep this from happening again to someone else. Try to think of us noobs, every piece of critique helps us. So thanks for having the guts to post this anyways.

Guts is right! People are on their soap boxes around here....if my crash helps you then I feel better already! I've been riding that mountian where I crashed for 2 years now---I've probably done that same turn 100 times...and the turn wasn't a tough one at all....gravel+dirt+debris+plus a lean equals a lay down....I wasn't trying to be Evil Kineval or a moron as some as made me out to be (where's my dunce cap when i need it)---it just happened...**** happens sometimes and so lesson learned....

Old March 30th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #45
adri99an

If nothing else, I appreciate all the threads like this because they help me remember to be careful and to watch out for these things. We're all human here, and we all make mistakes. I don't see why we can't support people and help them learn. There are always going to be people crashing on this forum, especially considering the amount of growth we've had since I started. Let's try to keep up the "friendliest forum" reputation we have. I take pride in that, and it is the #1 thing that worries me about getting a bigger bike. I want to have friendly people to confide in, to be scrutinized and corrected, but not made to feel bad about my mistakes.

I'm finally getting the chance to go back to some earlier posts.....Now here's an intelligent rider.....

Old March 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #46
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
I've been riding for 10+ years and over the past few days I've really been reading and listening to all the POSITIVE comments on this thread.....the biggest thing I've learned is when you lay your bike down it does make you think about the power between our legs (the ninjette of course ladies)

I made a mistake and now am learning about what I did wrong....and I did A LOT WRONG!! What I hate is when a-holes (not directed at CC of course) post like their god's gift to riding......I guess belittling others is their way of making them feel like BIG perfect riders...I don't mind the criticism...but before you shoot your mouth off know all the facts....and one fact for sure is that you don't know me or my experiences as a rider....people make mistakes and sometimes there are times when we cannot avoid what is going to happen...

I didn't come to this forum to argue with a-holes (not directed at CC of course) I came here to learn, listen, meet some people and have a good time. Already- I can say that I have met good people (not directed at CC) who are positive and love to ride as I do.
I feel the love!

Old March 30th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #47
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hi Adrian - you're exactly right, we're all human and we all make mistakes. Glad you're OK, and hope the bike is in great shape right quick. The concern of some is that riders who crash don't truly admit to those mistakes. Doesn't matter a whit whether they admit it to their friends, this site, or anyone else, actually. Matters if they don't admit it to themselves, as then they may be less likely to figure out what changes to make in their riding so it doesn't happen again. You crashed. You made a mistake. If you had done things differently (identified the hazards, avoided the debris, put less lean angle/other inputs to the bike while on the debris), it's entirely possible that you wouldn't have crashed. That's the whole point of why people react the way they do (each and every time) to threads like this. It's not to antagonize you, it's not to make the site seem unfriendly, and it's truly to get all folks here on the same page in terms of the basic tenet: Crashing is not OK. Something went terribly wrong for it to have happened, and what can you (we) do differently so it's highly unlikely to happen again. Right?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #48
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Hi Adrian - you're exactly right, we're all human and we all make mistakes. Glad you're OK, and hope the bike is in great shape right quick. The concern of some is that riders who crash don't truly admit to those mistakes. Doesn't matter a whit whether they admit it to their friends, this site, or anyone else, actually. Matters if they don't admit it to themselves, as then they may be less likely to figure out what changes to make in their riding so it doesn't happen again. You crashed. You made a mistake. If you had done things differently (identified the hazards, avoided the debris, put less lean angle/other inputs to the bike while on the debris), it's entirely possible that you wouldn't have crashed. That's the whole point of why people react the way they do (each and every time) to threads like this. It's not to antagonize you, it's not to make the site seem unfriendly, and it's truly to get all folks here on the same page in terms of the basic tenet: Crashing is not OK. Something went terribly wrong for it to have happened, and what can you (we) do differently so it's highly unlikely to happen again. Right?
Alex- as the founder and CEO of this forum your opinion is truly valued....I guess as a grown educated man that loves to ride as we all do....I don't appreciate being talked down to...ridiculed....or called names....so when someone comes out talking nonsense- I take offense as any other person would. I have to remember there's all kinds of morons in the world and so be it--they have opinions too.

I admitted I made a mistake Alex and was hesitant to start this thread- seeing that KCs videotaped crashed also had jerk offs mouthing off. Just because someone is considered a jokester and uses sarcasm....doesn't mean it's okay to treat others with little respect---isn't that one of the rules of this forum? A "friendly" forum....not so friendly when people are talking trash....calling people names....(dammit where's my dunce cap?) Alex- honestly....maybe people should adhere to being respectful and friendly? To me- it makes me laugh but doesn't make me want to share....

So back to what went terribly wrong Alex --because it is why I started this thread....I remember going into the turn...it was a left handed u shaped turn...I chose my line....leaned the bike....and maybe about 3/4 of the way through the bike went from right under me.....thinking back...I don't know what I could've done....when I picked my bike up...I noticed there was a small amound of grvel and dirt.....I thought to myself that must be why the bike slid out from under me.....I didn't have enough time to recognize the debris and avoid it as I was in a lean and had some decent speed.....my mistake if I had to go back....of course slow down.....before the turn and avoid the debris....the turn was a u-shaped turn...I think I was looking farther ahead than normal and not so much what was on the road....it wasn't a lot of debris just just enough ....

Old March 30th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #49
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Makes sense. Nobody here but you knows exactly what the conditions were, exactly what the bike was doing at the time, and exactly how you reacted when the bike started doing something unexpected underneath you. Unseen debris is a pain in the ass, and can certainly be surprising. I have a hunch that you're never going to be surprised at that particular corner again. If we ride enough miles, we're all going to come across a whole bunch of unexpected things in the road, and even if we avoid most, we're going to run over a portion of it. The trick to keeping the shiny parts of the bike shiny is that after the first event happens (bike runs over debris), the second event is using the time/traction/space in reserve to keep the bike from hitting the ground. Maxes out the event to possible underwear change, rather than a plastics/fairings change. I guess IMO, and only IMO, if I hit unseen debris in the road, and that causes the bike to get so out of control that it's on the ground before I can react, I was either going to quickly in the corner with not enough margin (lean angle / space), or I wasn't being observant enough to see something so large & significant that it didn't allow me that time/space to recover. At least that's the hope. It has kept my bikes off their side for most of their lives, most of them make it through our entire ownership without ever hitting the deck, and I'll do what I can to keep on keeping on. Folks like Sailariel and others on this site (and other sites) with decades and decades without an accident show that it's possble...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #50
adri99an

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I guess IMO, and only IMO, if I hit unseen debris in the road, and that causes the bike to get so out of control that it's on the ground before I can react, I was either going to quickly in the corner with not enough margin (lean angle / space), or I wasn't being observant enough to see something so large & significant that it didn't allow me that time/space to recover.
That makes a lot of sense Alex....up until the crash I had been riding in the canyon with plenty of success....maybe 1 1/2 hours....lots of good turns and leans..decent to great lines.....I don't push it much up there...being away from civilization...no cell phone service.....idiots in their Acuras....I'm no dare devil or racer...just a regular guy with a wife and two small kids loving what I do....maybe I had a little too much pepper at the end of the turn....since I didn't have time to react I think that may be it....I HAVE been in that situation before and have avoided debris or a boulder or even a rider in my lane around a blind corner and have recovered....the law of averages are against us.....I know when we ride something is and will happen to all of us one day....this forum is excellent to let others that have experience help those who don't. I ride that canyon once to twice to sometimes three times a week and can say it's not like street riding....it's dangerous, it's exciting, it's why I ride.

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #51
kkim

ever consider taking it to the track?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #52
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Quote:
I think I was looking farther ahead than normal and not so much what was on the road...
On this note, I was taught in the MSF course to look where I want to go when I'm turning. How do you balance that technique with looking at the road for obstacles? Is slowing down the only method, because that's all I've managed to figure out, and in some situations it makes for cagers that are far too close for comfort behind me.

Old March 30th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #53
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Adrian, sorry to hear bro. Is it possible that the tires might have added to the accident. If I recall correctly, you are currently running BT003RS' in 150 size, yes? Some say that tire in that specific size is too big for the rims and is way too pinched (compared to say the BT016). Because it is pinched, you have less traction at certain lean angles. Regardless, I think everyone here is glad you are safe. I hope to come ride when you guys some day but I know I am nowhere near the level of rider to be riding in those canyons.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #54
tapdiggy
Humble Observer

Name: Truong

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha XT250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
On this note, I was taught in the MSF course to look where I want to go when I'm turning. How do you balance that technique with looking at the road for obstacles? Is slowing down the only method, because that's all I've managed to figure out, and in some situations it makes for cagers that are far too close for comfort behind me.
Think multi-tasking. If you are looking where you want to go at all times, then really see what is in your desired line, and adjust as needed.

If you have trouble preparing in the time it takes to reach an observed trouble spot, slow up a bit and work up to being "good" at your desired speed.

O, I almost forgot *insert flame comment here*

Old March 31st, 2010, 12:52 AM   #55
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
Read Twist of the Wrist 2, it explains it all...

They have a drill where you sit on a chair and look at a wall in your house. You fix your gaze in one spot and try name off all the things you can see without moving your eyes. Surprisingly you will find you're aware of everything that's on that wall. Then you repeat the drill only this time you move your eyes to look at everything directly and surprisingly it takes much longer to spot everything. Your putting more effort into looking around and if anything its making the job harder and slower.

So the trick is to train yourself to be aware of things your not looking directly at. If you looking directly at something usually your missing something else. So look down the road, but train yourself to be aware of more.

Thats just one page of the book, the others are just as helpful....

It's easy to practice too, as I look at my screen typing this, I can see a bunch of stuff in my peripheral without actually looking directly at it. Like both my phones. I'd be able to tell if someone rang me on either of them, of course I'd have to look directly to see who is calling, but the point is if your looking down the road and you see an rough surface, or a circular pattern in your peripheral you know its going to be sand/gravel or a manhole/pothole without actually needed to look directly at it, instead of putting effort into looking then reacting, you should have already reacted to your peripheral vision.

At least you can practice this when your not on the bike

Old March 31st, 2010, 08:45 AM   #56
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedaltothemetal View Post
Rule number whatever!
Don't follow too close. You have to see the whole turn so you
can prepare to ride the safest line. CC shifed his body weight to cut
to the area of least gravel. If you kept your distance, you most like would
have made it thru too!
I had plenty of distance behind him. He was already through the turn and trying to point out the hazard when I came into the intersection. Even at the relatively slow speed I was travelling, I still came in too hot to adjust in time to both the turn and the lack of traction. I could have done one or the other, but ended up doing neither. I was lucky to reduce my speed enough in the second before I hit the gravel that the accident wasn't worse. I simply wasn't paying enough attention or looking far enough ahead (or close enough at the road) to see the gravel in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talldrink View Post
I think the inexperience level (influx of new riders) is what you're seeing in this forum. New riders make mistakes. Rarely have I (please correct me if I'm wrong) seen/heard of riders on THIS forum who've had accidents from being squids. Most of the accidents seem to be rider inexperience. I think we, on this forum, are a pretty safe and level-headed bunch and a lot of the accidents are from gravel at this time of the year. After a long winter, everyone is anxious to get out and ride.

I think the older, more experienced riders on this forum could be a little more forgiving in their responses to crash victims.

(this is not directed to CC as I realize he is a premier jokester and most of his posts are laced with sarcasm (all in good fun)).
I think gravel brings down more new riders than anything else they're going to face. If you're riding at the upper limit of your skills any unexpected or overlooked road hazard is going to up the ante dramatically. With all the budget cuts in public works departments, the condition of the roads is the worst it's ever been. Sand and gravel are everywhere and removing it for the convienience and safety of motorcyclists is a low priority. I see many more crashes caused by sand & gravel than anything else posted on forums. New riders still don't seem to get the message though and continue to push the limits on crappy public roads and then act surprised when there's gravel all over the turn they dragged their knee on the day before.

Quote:
I don't drag my knee...never said I did....that's KCs thing...he pops wheelies and knee drags.......

I don't blast threw corners either.....

I don't practice hanging off either......

Get the facts straight....I crashed- made a mistake...that's a fact.
Sorry, just reacting to all these recent crashing threads so early in the season. I'm not directing this at anyone. I appreciate these threads getting the word out about being safer on the street. There are probably 4 or 5 other crashes to every one posted that you never hear about. I got a lot of negative crap when I posted about my accident too, but I also got some priceless advice and insight I wouldn't have otherwise.
2-wheel vehicles do not perform well on gravel and it's not always easy to spot at a distance. Most of these crashes can be avoided by riding slower and paying attention to the road more, mine included. It's not rocket science why these crashes happen. Slow down and pay more attention and you'll crash a whole lot less. Mistakes are no big whoop as long as there's no lasting damage and you learn from them, right?
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2010, 09:40 AM   #57
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Alex- as the founder and CEO of this forum your opinion is truly valued....I guess as a grown educated man that loves to ride as we all do....I don't appreciate being talked down to...ridiculed....or called names....so when someone comes out talking nonsense- I take offense as any other person would. I have to remember there's all kinds of morons in the world and so be it--they have opinions too.
I admitted I made a mistake Alex and was hesitant to start this thread- seeing that KCs videotaped crashed also had jerk offs mouthing off. Just because someone is considered a jokester and uses sarcasm....doesn't mean it's okay to treat others with little respect---isn't that one of the rules of this forum? A "friendly" forum....not so friendly when people are talking trash....calling people names....(dammit where's my dunce cap?) Alex- honestly....maybe people should adhere to being respectful and friendly? To me- it makes me laugh but doesn't make me want to share....

Dearest Adrian, I truly apologize for hurting your precious pride. Let me just say that everytime any of us go out for a ride we are putting our life on the line. It is a dangerous sport that we participate in (and want to enjoy for a long time). As a grown educated man I'm sure you know that it is up to ourselves to come back from every ride alive. Mistakes on a motorcycle not only end up being costly to the motorcycle but more important costly to your life and the lives of the people who love you.

I grew up in a military family, if any of you have been in the military you know that boot camp training not only gets you in shape but can also save your life in many of life's experiences. During this training there is little hand holding and much hardcore advice given out in a direct and forceful manner. Maybe motorcycists should be put through the same type of training before they are allowed to hit the streets. If skills are drilled in to the rider then avoiding dangerous situations might be second nature.

I'm sorry if you felt you were talked down to or ridiculed but I don't think the responses from me, or others, were nonsense. I respect you for not calling people names like "moron" or "jerk off" and adherring to the "friendly forum". It was a mistake for me to say you need to wear a dunce hat (I hate to see a grown man cry).

Everyone on this forum is looking out for the rest of the members. Crashing is no joke. There have been some members seriously hurt. It takes balls to admit, to the forum, you crashed. It takes bigger balls to listen to people telling you you shouldn't have crashed and why. Sometimes you need to swallow your pride and listen to what people are saying. They are only trying to help, no matter how they say it. It is meant to prevent you from crashing again. Crashing once is one time too many.

Old March 31st, 2010, 10:01 AM   #58
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Dearest Adrian, I truly apologize for hurting your precious pride. Let me just say that everytime any of us go out for a ride we are putting our life on the line. It is a dangerous sport that we participate in (and want to enjoy for a long time). As a grown educated man I'm sure you know that it is up to ourselves to come back from every ride alive. Mistakes on a motorcycle not only end up being costly to the motorcycle but more important costly to your life and the lives of the people who love you.

I grew up in a military family, if any of you have been in the military you know that boot camp training not only gets you in shape but can also save your life in many of life's experiences. During this training there is little hand holding and much hardcore advice given out in a direct and forceful manner. Maybe motorcycists should be put through the same type of training before they are allowed to hit the streets. If skills are drilled in to the rider then avoiding dangerous situations might be second nature.

I'm sorry if you felt you were talked down to or ridiculed but I don't think the responses from me, or others, were nonsense. I respect you for not calling people names like "moron" or "jerk off" and adherring to the "friendly forum". It was a mistake for me to say you need to wear a dunce hat (I hate to see a grown man cry).

Everyone on this forum is looking out for the rest of the members. Crashing is no joke. There have been some members seriously hurt. It takes balls to admit, to the forum, you crashed. It takes bigger balls to listen to people telling you you shouldn't have crashed and why. Sometimes you need to swallow your pride and listen to what people are saying. They are only trying to help, no matter how they say it. It is meant to prevent you from crashing again. Crashing once is one time too many.
*sigh* When CC becomes the voice of reason around here you know something's off kilter....bring back the whimsical posts!!

And to the OP...I'm glad you're not hurt. Mistakes and what not aside, we're pushing our luck out there on these machines as it is. Please, please be more careful than normal.

I get streaks of stupid too, I'll be the first to admit that, but crashing out on the streets shouldn't be acceptable to anybody. I'm not directing my comments to anyone, but more so putting this here so that it's said directly and can be read by everyone. There's this attitude out there that crashing is a normal part of riding a motorcycle, but it seriously shouldn't be. I consider crashing my car to be highly unnacceptable and will do everything in my power to avoid it. Why should falling/crashing on my bike be any different, if not even less acceptable given what's at stake?
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2010, 10:09 AM   #59
currentsea
ninjette.org member

Name: J.R.

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Really glad you're okay Adriann, Man I got the chills reading it.
Hope you heal up okay.
Alex and I did the repairs on my bike after my spill at GMR
currentsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2010, 10:39 AM   #60
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdajackal View Post
Read Twist of the Wrist 2, it explains it all...
Good stuff, I just finished "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch and am about half through Twist of the wrist 2. Both books are great. I definitely have a LOT better understanding of what is going on with the bike now and have a hell of a lot more respect for the racing aspect as well.

adri99an good luck getting your bike back together...
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2010, 12:26 PM   #61
adri99an

CC I am so touched you'd write me such a long love letter. Thank you so much. (Hearts in my eyes).
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 31st, 2010, 12:32 PM   #62
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Feel the love, it's a rarity!

Old March 31st, 2010, 12:37 PM   #63
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
ever consider taking it to the track?
yeeaaaahh!!!!
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2010, 01:12 PM   #64
adri99an

CC....do you have a man crush on me?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old March 31st, 2010, 01:14 PM   #65
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jenn

Motorcycle(s): Bot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Feel the love, it's a rarity!
GROUP HUG???

jcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2010, 02:51 PM   #66
Kurosaki
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星

Name: Joseph

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kurosaki 250, 09 Honda 600RawrRawr

Quote:
CC....do you have a man crush on me?
Posted via Mobile Device
He's going to propose a mangagement to you.
Kurosaki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2010, 02:53 PM   #67
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

While we're all group hugging, anyone know a book that can tell me how to avoid carnivorous man hole covers?

Old March 31st, 2010, 05:33 PM   #68
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
While we're all group hugging, anyone know a book that can tell me how to avoid carnivorous man hole covers?
That sounds TERRIBLE.
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2010, 05:56 PM   #69
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
....I don't appreciate being talked down to...ridiculed....or called names....there's all kinds of morons in the world

...also had jerk offs mouthing off....doesn't mean it's okay to treat others with little respect---
Wow. That trick deserves its own name. See what happened there. It wasn't okay for someone to call you names, but you didn't notice that you did the same thing, and in the same paragraph no less. Then you contradicted yourself again. That's called hypocrisy.

This is not directly related to the crash, but I'm 30 years old and by far, the best lesson I've learned is this: try to see things from other people's perspective. Put yourself in other people's shoes, or whatever variation you want. One subset of this advice is the so-called "golden rule".

In this particular case, if you had been practicing this ethic, you would have noticed this epic hypocrisy as you were typing. But I'd bet money that you didn't notice it until CC brought it up. He's much more comical and eloquent than I am, so pardon my poor writing skills. I'm an engineer

Peace out.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2010, 06:18 PM   #70
adri99an

Oh Samer- I knew what I was doing...you're 30 and I'm much older than you...I don't need a lesson in jargon or English or word usage....

We're just ripping each other some new ones around here....but thanks for the definiton of hypocrisy....

Old March 31st, 2010, 06:36 PM   #71
empyrean
pwned noob

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
You don't need a book, you need to...

Stop looking at:
1. your ipod/iphone
2. the hot soccer mom in her suburban next to you.
3. the bike you so want 10 car lengths a head of you.
4. your GPS because you probably already know where you're going.
5. the opposing traffic because you saw some hot chick in a convertible.
6. your hot new gloves.
7. trying to find the Off Button for your turn signals.
8. the bumper stickers on the hippie mobile in front of you.
9. the guy who's digging gold out of his nose.
10. the girl who just so PWNED you on her 250 because you were checking out her gear. Among other possible assets.

Old March 31st, 2010, 06:37 PM   #72
empyrean
pwned noob

God, I just love this forum! Y'all rock!

Old March 31st, 2010, 06:59 PM   #73
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Oh Samer- I knew what I was doing...you're 30 and I'm much older than you...I don't need a lesson in jargon or English or word usage....

We're just ripping each other some new ones around here....but thanks for the definiton of hypocrisy....
So it's okay to be a hypocrite if you're doing it on purpose? I'm just trying to understand your perspective. The common theme here is that you refuse to admit your mistakes. Are you okay with contradicting yourself in the same sentence? Everyone reading this thread knows you made a mistake, but the only person who needs to know it is you. Oh the irony.

If you're much older than 30 then it is taking you longer and you still haven't figured it out.

Old March 31st, 2010, 07:15 PM   #74
empyrean
pwned noob

@Banzai

I just read your post about the tire eating, rim biting, bike munching post about your accident. I rescind the smarta$$ comments.... but at least they can be used for others that are NOT paying attention to the roads ahead of them.

<batting eyes>I hope you forgive me.</batting eyes>

Old March 31st, 2010, 07:52 PM   #75
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

Many, perhaps most, of us are new riders. After all, we are reading and posting on the ninjette forums, the premier forums for the ninja 250. Which is sort of the defining example of "beginner motorcycle".

I am a beginner, I never owned a motorcycle until last November. I thought I would enjoy it. I do, more than I imagined. I have ridden 6k miles in 4 months through a very cold winter.

I would really like to retire this bike due to excessive miles, rather than have it see the fate of nearly all of its kind. I surely don't want to get hurt.

We all make mistakes. I made one today. There was a deer to my left, I did not see. It was running along the road. I got my hand on the brake lever just as it decided to run back into the forest, rather than run into the road. Deers are massively stupid about roads and traffic.

I am really glad that I am not posting about my wreck, that didn't happen today.

A long time ago, similar situation, I was in my old white chevy truck. That time the deer tried to cross, and rammed the side of my truck. Ruined the door panel on an already beat up truck. Im glad I was in a truck.

What was my mistake today?

I did not observe the deer until it was too late. Better observation skills, I can practice, and hopefully learn. Until then? Slow down! I was going 50 on a 45 county road. Sometimes, slow is better than fast. I am not an expert at observing road hazards, I am not an expert at motorcycle handling. Slower means more time to observe hazards, more time to evade them.

Today, the deer reminded me to take it slow.

Deer, gravel, crushed pop bottles, CARS THAT VIOLATE YOUR RIGHT OF WAY, whatever. It should not be in the road, in your path, but it is. Will 1 extra second allow you to avoid the danger? How about 1/2 second? What about 1/10 of a second?

That 1, 1/2 , 1/10 of a second, is a better chance of saying "Whew Im glad I avoided that.

Better than posting a message about your messed up bike and how your gear saved you.

Better than not posting for a while and then a story of how you got hurt.

Better than a post from your next of kin.

If you were in basic training in the Army preparing to go into dangerous combat, and something happens that is obviously not great, and a sharp tongued drill sergeant tells you that you should sit in the corner wearing a dunce cap...

It is fine to cuss him under your breath.

And yes he is an asshole, just like all of us are from time to time.

But he is a survivor. If you want to be a survivor too, find the helpful advice among the insults.

I THOUGHT I had found that advice. The retard deer reminded me today. I am not the great at observing dangers on the road, I am not great at motorcycle handling.

I still want to ride. Given my options, I'd rather slow down a bit today, than be laid up, or worse, tomorrow.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2010, 06:52 AM   #76
adri99an

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer View Post
So it's okay to be a hypocrite if you're doing it on purpose? I'm just trying to understand your perspective. The common theme here is that you refuse to admit your mistakes. Are you okay with contradicting yourself in the same sentence? Everyone reading this thread knows you made a mistake, but the only person who needs to know it is you. Oh the irony.

If you're much older than 30 then it is taking you longer and you still haven't figured it out.
Dr. Samer what brand of high horse do you ride....ok here it goes....my right hand is up..."I Adri99an....owner of a ninjette...made a mistake while riding.". Wow Doc...I feel free and liberated. Do you accept Blue Cross?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old April 1st, 2010, 07:01 AM   #77
adri99an

Ladies and Gents....I am in awe of all the wonderful advice...stories....jokes....and knowledge that is being presented in this thread. Thank you all so much and please keep them coming...especially the laughs because my ribs are so sore when I laugh I'm in pain...which reminds me of my mistake (samer) I made in the canyon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old April 1st, 2010, 09:27 AM   #78
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Dr. Samer what brand of high horse do you ride....ok here it goes....my right hand is up..."I Adri99an....owner of a ninjette...made a mistake while riding.". Wow Doc...I feel free and liberated. Do you accept Blue Cross?
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm proud of you. Seriously. I mean, you're being a little sarcastic, but there's some truth there, I believe. I'm not perfect, and I'm the first to admit it.

There were two mistakes I was referring to. The main one I was referring to is that you contradicted yourself, then pretended that you did it on purpose instead of just admitting that you goofed by complaining about other peoples insults while dishing out insults of your own in the same post.

Cheers,
Dr. Samer (Actually I only have an M.S., no PhD yet)

Old April 1st, 2010, 01:03 PM   #79
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Quote:
(this is not directed to CC as I realize he is a premier jokester and most of his posts are laced with sarcasm (all in good fun)).
This may qualify as the understatement of the century!

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote