ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old March 31st, 2011, 10:51 PM   #41
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Hey Keven, shimming is a definite if you haven't done so. Since you have an 08, do you know when the last time your brake fluid or spark plugs were changed? Spark plugs are supposed to be at 7500 and 15k (and IIRC, you're close to 15k) and brake fluid is supposed to be changed every 2 years (might as well go stainless steel!). If you have the stock airbox, the air cleaner element is supposed to be replaced every 2 years. Coolant, radiator hose, and O-ring every 3 years.

I just changed my oil today as well (wasn't going to lug two quarts to your place). If we go to the Ticket to Ride event before hand, chances are we won't have time to do your valve check since your engine will be warm and weather is getting into the 80's. From what I gather from the posts, here are some of the mods we have planned:

-oil change and carb sync for anyone that needs it
-shimming your needles (and jetting for Dustin and Alex)
-I have a GSXR shock to install
-if Alex brings his old turn signals, I'm converting them back to flush mounts
-Dustin's clipons and hugger if he can hold out

Here are some things you can do:
-brake fluid and SS swap
-coolant change
-spark plugs and valves (it took me a few hours to do valves though so it might be too ambitious with everything else)
-brake pads
-chain adjustment/alignment

And Alex, I can bring my camera to take lots of pics
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:26 PM   #42
kkim

who's bringing the beer??

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 07:34 AM   #43
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

If I hold out on the hugger I'll need to drop it off the night prior as there is no way to bring it with me on the bike.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 08:43 AM   #44
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Name: Keven

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250 Green, 00 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Hey Keven, shimming is a definite if you haven't done so. Since you have an 08, do you know when the last time your brake fluid or spark plugs were changed? Spark plugs are supposed to be at 7500 and 15k (and IIRC, you're close to 15k) and brake fluid is supposed to be changed every 2 years (might as well go stainless steel!). If you have the stock airbox, the air cleaner element is supposed to be replaced every 2 years. Coolant, radiator hose, and O-ring every 3 years.

I just changed my oil today as well (wasn't going to lug two quarts to your place). If we go to the Ticket to Ride event before hand, chances are we won't have time to do your valve check since your engine will be warm and weather is getting into the 80's. From what I gather from the posts, here are some of the mods we have planned:

-oil change and carb sync for anyone that needs it
-shimming your needles (and jetting for Dustin and Alex)
-I have a GSXR shock to install
-if Alex brings his old turn signals, I'm converting them back to flush mounts
-Dustin's clipons and hugger if he can hold out

Here are some things you can do:
-brake fluid and SS swap
-coolant change
-spark plugs and valves (it took me a few hours to do valves though so it might be too ambitious with everything else)
-brake pads
-chain adjustment/alignment

And Alex, I can bring my camera to take lots of pics

Alright, good stuff there. Shimming sounds good. Anyone have extra washers? If not i'll grab some. I got zero service history for the bike so I guess I should do all I can. Since I don't think I have time to order stainless lines i'll probably wait on the brakes. I'll try to gather the parts for the coolant too. Any good place to get this stuff locally or just go to the dealer and bend over? Thanks Cuong.

IT'S OFFICIAL... I HAVE THE 10TH OFF NOW

Just wanted it to be clear..

Last futzed with by TeamGreen; April 1st, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
TeamGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:17 AM   #45
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGreen View Post
Alright, good stuff there. Shimming sounds good. Anyone have extra washers? If not i'll grab some. I got zero service history for the bike so I guess I should do all I can. Since I don't think I have time to order stainless lines i'll probably wait on the brakes. I'll try to gather the parts for the coolant too. Any good place to get this stuff locally or just go to the dealer and bend over? Thanks Cuong.

IT'S OFFICIAL... I HAVE THE 10TH OFF NOW

Just wanted it to be clear..
So we are doing this o the 10th after the ticket to ride event? I am only going to one of the sd ticket events as I am going to the LA one as well.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:48 PM   #46
Cazper
ninjaholic

I plan to go to the ticket to ride on Sat as well, just because I don't want to miss the opportunity to ride everything...lol. I signed up for the LA one too. It doesn't say what time the event starts... how long do we plan to stay there before leaving, seeing as how the tech day could turn into an all day affair? Just curious

Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:53 PM   #47
Cuongism

10th sounds good then. So far confirmed are myself, Dustin, Keven, Alex, and Jeff. I also got in the Area P group buy, but I'll probably install that beforehand unless you guys want to see the installation. If so, I probably have to drop if off at Keven's before hand.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:55 PM   #48
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

I would love to come down! I need to do a oil change pretty soon. Still reluctant to do it myself

What time is everyone thinking on the 10th? I'm about 1.5 to 2 hours away so I gotta plan my departure lol First ever long haul on my bike too, not sure if I want to man up and take the trip
Kevin2109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:51 PM   #49
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
I would love to come down! I need to do a oil change pretty soon. Still reluctant to do it myself

What time is everyone thinking on the 10th? I'm about 1.5 to 2 hours away so I gotta plan my departure lol First ever long haul on my bike too, not sure if I want to man up and take the trip
Come on down man, I'm not sure if I'm going to the ticket to ride or not yet. If I don't i'll be around all day.

Also, you guys want to grill some burgers or something?

Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:56 PM   #50
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Ok I'm 99% sure im going to go I need to get more used to a long ride anyway, and on a Sunday the 5 shouldn't be to bad

Anything I need to bring? Oh hate to ask, probably should search, but what oil should I buy?

Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM   #51
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Ok I'm 99% sure im going to go I need to get more used to a long ride anyway, and on a Sunday the 5 shouldn't be to bad

Anything I need to bring? Oh hate to ask, probably should search, but what oil should I buy?

Asking about oil gets complicated, just read around I guess. It would proabably be more convenient to buy it closer to here then riding with it for 2 hours

Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:15 PM   #52
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Asking about oil gets complicated, just read around I guess. It would proabably be more convenient to buy it closer to here then riding with it for 2 hours
Ok, thanks ill look around I'm still not 100% sure if im going to make it so I dont want to be counted yet as for sure going

Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:13 PM   #53
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
Come on down man, I'm not sure if I'm going to the ticket to ride or not yet. If I don't i'll be around all day.

Also, you guys want to grill some burgers or something?
That would be good on both counts... I'm planning to already go to the ticket to ride on Sat, that way I could spend more time at the tech day on Sun. If you are already considering just being home that would be awesome. I could just come down and start working on my stuff and be done with at least something by the time everyone got done with the ticket to ride.

Would it be okay for me to drop off my hugger the night before? If not, I guess I'll just put it on before next weekend... because I certainly can't ride down with it. Just getting a feeler.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:15 PM   #54
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:

Nothin' to it but to do it! I will tell you that it gets pretty boring after a while... I've ridden 2hrs at a time just on the 5/405 and it's a pretty boring ride. This event if it pans out to be what we intend it too, would definitely be worth a long ride

Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:40 PM   #55
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
That would be good on both counts... I'm planning to already go to the ticket to ride on Sat, that way I could spend more time at the tech day on Sun. If you are already considering just being home that would be awesome. I could just come down and start working on my stuff and be done with at least something by the time everyone got done with the ticket to ride.

Would it be okay for me to drop off my hugger the night before? If not, I guess I'll just put it on before next weekend... because I certainly can't ride down with it. Just getting a feeler.
Yeah man, bring it down if you want. It's looking more like I'm not going to the ticket to ride sunday so if you want to come early you're welcome.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:58 PM   #56
Cuongism

Hey Kevin, Jeff is coming from LA so maybe you guys can also meet up on the way down. There usually isn't much traffic on sundays either. I'm thinking of skipping the event now too (I've seen plenty of kawasakis).

Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:39 PM   #57
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
Hey Kevin, Jeff is coming from LA so maybe you guys can also meet up on the way down. There usually isn't much traffic on sundays either. I'm thinking of skipping the event now too (I've seen plenty of kawasakis).
Or you could go on Sat with me to the ticket to ride... I'm just sayin'

Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:08 PM   #58
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Well, I can't do Sunday, but I wish you guys luck and I hope to make the next tech day! If anyone needs to borrow my my bead breaker or rear stand and spools, you are welcome to stop by on the way (Mira Mesa area) but I've got to leave to work ~3:00PM. FWIW, a new Harbor Freight just opened on Miramar Rd if anyone needs to pick up cheap tools along the way, though I think Chula Vista already had one (weird that SD proper didn't).

Quote:
Nothin' to it but to do it! I will tell you that it gets pretty boring after a while... I've ridden 2hrs at a time just on the 5/405 and it's a pretty boring ride. This event if it pans out to be what we intend it too, would definitely be worth a long ride
Last time I rode up there from SD I took PCH most of the way home and it was MUCH more interesting. I was wearing a couple tires too!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:53 AM   #59
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
...Well, I can't do Sunday, but I wish you guys luck and I hope to make the next tech day!...
Sucks that you can't make it... always good to meet new ninjetters. As you said, maybe next time... or you can meet up with us for a ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Last time I rode up there from SD I took PCH most of the way home and it was MUCH more interesting. I was wearing a couple tires too!
I'll definitely have to try that next time... as I mentioned cruising down the 5 is extremely boring... at least PCH would have better scenery

Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:56 AM   #60
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Or you could go on Sat with me to the ticket to ride... I'm just sayin'
I'm going to make my self sound like a noob. Whats the ticket to ride?

Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:01 AM   #61
Cuongism

It's a Kawasaki event where you can demo their bikes.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ht=ticket+ride

They're in San Diego the 9th and 10th (address says San Mateo, but I'm sure they mean San Diego as in Mission Valley). They'll be in LA at the end of the month.

And Dustin, I have to work Saturday afternoon, so maybe we can do it in the AM? I just have to go after 1 pm.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM   #62
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
It's a Kawasaki event where you can demo their bikes.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ht=ticket+ride

They're in San Diego the 9th and 10th (address says San Mateo, but I'm sure they mean San Diego as in Mission Valley). They'll be in LA at the end of the month.

And Dustin, I have to work Saturday afternoon, so maybe we can do it in the AM? I just have to go after 1 pm.
Thanks for clearing it up I would like to go but darn work :/

I'm pretty sure I would crash a bike anyway lol JK but I dont even have a week under my belt yet

What all should I bring for an ail change?

Last futzed with by Kevin2109; April 3rd, 2011 at 11:16 AM.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:41 AM   #63
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks for clearing it up I would like to go but darn work :/

I'm pretty sure I would crash a bike anyway lol JK but I dont even have a week under my belt yet

What all should I bring for an ail change?

Bring oil, a filter, and a crush washer for the drain plug. If your bike doesn't have spools yet try to pick some up.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:04 PM   #64
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Bring oil, a filter, and a crush washer for the drain plug. If your bike doesn't have spools yet try to pick some up.
Ok, I have the filter, and spools. I'll pick up oil (I decided Royal Purple full synthetic) and a crush washer

Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:09 PM   #65
Cuongism

I have a ton of extra washers I can bring so don't worry about that. I'd also recommend buying the oil while you're down here so you don't have to backpack it a couple of hours.

Old April 4th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #66
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I was no if this weekend so I have not kept up. I will e at tech day on Sunday and will skip the SD ticket to ride on Saturday then as I have too much to do this weekend to ride both days.

Who all ammo meeting up with and what times? I'll meet Kevin fro
Tustin so he won't have to ride alone and I'll puck up anyone in between as we get to them just need to know who so I can plan a route. What time are we starting and I say HELL YES to cooking some stuff up, I'll chip in when I get there. Unless a local shop has some grips and bar ends I like I'll just be chilling and doing an oil and filter change and hit my chain up. Still will be fun though.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #67
Cuongism

I'll let Keven set up a time since it's his place. Not sure where in Chula he lives in, but there's 4 dealerships in Chula and even a motorcycle salvage yard if anyone needs odds and ends.

I have some progrip grips I havent installed yet if you want to check them out. Dustin and I have Sato racing bar ends (long and short versions), but most places carry generic bar ends. I'll bring my mini-torch to at least break off your bar ends to make it easier for you when you do decide to change them.

The goal is so everyone can see the different procedures in person. Looks like it's gonna be a fun event!

Old April 4th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #68
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

Quote:
Ok, I have the filter, and spools. I'll pick up oil (I decided Royal Purple full synthetic) and a crush washer
you already have a crush washer
i wedged it in one of the oil filter boxes

all you need is the oil

also if you want you can have someone hacksaw the oem sprocket cover if you want to put it on the bike
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #69
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Might as well post some details.

Meeting place will be my parent's place

3197 Kennelworth Ln
Bonita, 91902

The Google directions are correct, mapquest im not sure sometimes people get sent the wrong way.

Time? Not sure...10:00? Earlier? Basically i'll head over there in the morning and be there all day so it's an open invitation to come whenever.

Closest big place is South Bay Motorsports, smaller place is JP Motorsports. Those are the only two i've been to.

Old April 4th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #70
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr3ek View Post
you already have a crush washer
i wedged it in one of the oil filter boxes

all you need is the oil

also if you want you can have someone hacksaw the oem sprocket cover if you want to put it on the bike
thanks kevin!

oh thats what that thing is! lol

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #71
Cazper
ninjaholic

Looks like from my place it'll take about 1 hr 15 mins. So... if we are talking like 10 if you are coming by my area around 8:45 that would work out to ride together. I would be down for earlier too... just don't want to get there to early for Keven

I'm super excited for this weekend!!!

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #72
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Looks like from my place it'll take about 1 hr 15 mins. So... if we are talking like 10 if you are coming by my area around 8:45 that would work out to ride together. I would be down for earlier too... just don't want to get there to early for Keven

I'm super excited for this weekend!!!
You should meet up with Jeff and I! My rides about ~2 hours, Jeff's is like 4

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #73
Cuongism

So I have an Area P full exhaust and SS lines coming this week and I was planning on installing it Thursday. Did any of you guys want me to save it for Sunday to see the installation?

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #74
Cuongism

Also for those riding long distance, my best advice is to hydrate and start doing squats! Your quads will be soooorrreee or maybe I'm just insanely out of shape.

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #75
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
Step ahead of ya...lol. I didn't quote Jeff's post before but that was the intention... we had planned to meet up at the Denny's off the 5 at the Camp Pendleton exit and finish the commute together

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #76
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #77
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
So I have an Area P full exhaust and SS lines coming this week and I was planning on installing it Thursday. Did any of you guys want me to save it for Sunday to see the installation?
I would kinda like to see the brake lines installed as it will be something I intend to do down the road. Although I've never changed out my header I'm pretty sure thats a straight forward swap (and ohhh so pretty) so I wouldn't be hurt if you did that ahead of time

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #78
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Save the lines for the weekend if it's cool with you, wouldn't mind seeing that.

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #79
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

Quote:
Also for those riding long distance, my best advice is to hydrate and start doing squats! Your quads will be soooorrreee or maybe I'm just insanely out of shape.
ive ridden 110 miles straight on the 250
from fontana down to san diego, cycle sector store
it wasnt that bad

but with load on your back, it might just be a challenge

Quote:
those are car hours
with lane splitting you'll be there just over an hour and 20 min.
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #80
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr3ek View Post
ive ridden 110 miles straight on the 250
from fontana down to san diego, cycle sector store
it wasnt that bad...

I love that place... especially their Excitebike-inspired logo (sportbike version of the wheelie pixel art).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote