ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 21st, 2017, 07:59 AM   #1
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

Is this chain done?

Gimme your .02. In VA, under a cover, but tons of rain and humidity. Surface rust around about the chain. Pic is aftrr about 10 minutes of grunge brush and kerosene.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0470.jpg (106.7 KB, 22 views)
Speedy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2017, 09:04 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
How to tell if its time to change the chain 101.

1. Does it have any frozen links?
2. Does it make a patterned grinding noise that seems to come and go as speed changes?
3. Once adjusted to spec slack, will hit hold that slack for many, many miles?
4. Is the chain visibly damaged in any way?
5. Is there any abnormal wear patterns that cause concern?
6. Will the clip/rivet stay secure on the master link?
7. Does the chain slack measure "fairly close" if take in 4 different spots on the chain?

8. Do you not like the color of your chain?
9. Is your chain too dirty even after cleaning it very well?
10. Are you jelly that your track buddy has a race chain and you still have the 520?

hahahahahahah
Take a stiff bristled brush and give it a good cleaning, it looks fine to me.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 21st, 2017, 10:36 AM   #3
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Speed Triple (Blazing Orange); 2010 Nina 250r (Race Project)

I appreciate the insight!

I broke down and bought a new one. This will be my lady's track bike, and if anything did happen on that chain, I'd hang up my helmet.

Nothing wrong with starting fresh!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 21st, 2017, 11:13 AM   #4
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Good man!
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2017, 06:35 PM   #5
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy3 View Post
I appreciate the insight!

I broke down and bought a new one. This will be my lady's track bike, and if anything did happen on that chain, I'd hang up my helmet.

Nothing wrong with starting fresh!
I would consider renewing the sprockets also. A new chain run on worn sprockets usually = early chain damage. Gives you a chance to play with your overall drive ratio also.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 06:37 PM   #6
Speedy3
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I would consider renewing the sprockets also. A new chain run on worn sprockets usually = early chain damage. Gives you a chance to play with your overall drive ratio also.

Bill
Agreed! I got the Vortex kit. Kept it stock just so I can learn a bit more before I meddle!

Old May 22nd, 2017, 10:20 PM   #7
Ram Jet

New Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy3 View Post
Agreed! I got the Vortex kit. Kept it stock just so I can learn a bit more before I meddle!
Great, I never install a new chain on worn sprockets. I remember once on my Kaw 500 triple I got 18K miles out of a set of sprockets and chain (non "O" ring). The sprocket teeth were actually worn to sharp points.

Bill

Old August 2nd, 2017, 09:35 AM   #8
rjizzle36

I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd piggyback on this one.

My chain is very loose and not in great shape.
I am looking to just tighten up the chain to get a little more use out of the bike, I probably won't replace the chain as I do not want to put any more money into the bike.

I watched a video on chain adjustment and they said to not adjust the chain past the horizontal slash on the wheel alignment markers. Is this true, can I tighten up my chain past this point? I added some pics below.
Thanks

Old August 2nd, 2017, 10:10 AM   #9
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I don't know what slash they're talking about, but you probably have enough adjustment range to tighten that (super loose) chain. That said, it looks like it's in pretty bad shape and probably not safe. Breaking a chain underway can be VERY bad.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2017, 10:22 AM   #10
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjizzle36 View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd piggyback on this one.

My chain is very loose and not in great shape.
I am looking to just tighten up the chain to get a little more use out of the bike, I probably won't replace the chain as I do not want to put any more money into the bike.

I watched a video on chain adjustment and they said to not adjust the chain past the horizontal slash on the wheel alignment markers. Is this true, can I tighten up my chain past this point? I added some pics below.
Thanks
You are at the beginning of the horizontal-slash. Go ahead and tighten the chain to proper tension and note where it is on the slash. As you get close to the end of slash, time to get a new chain.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2017, 01:41 PM   #11
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

why can you not take it past the horizontal slash? maybe a new chain, so you still have adj room, but other than that I dont see why not. school me.
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2017, 02:06 PM   #12
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

I guess if you want to not have to replace chain AND both sprockets, you can replace just chain at end of slash mark. After that, things are too worn and you should replace all three.

Old August 2nd, 2017, 02:34 PM   #13
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
I guess if you want to not have to replace chain AND both sprockets, you can replace just chain at end of slash mark. After that, things are too worn and you should replace all three.
I replace everything when the rear sprocket teeth are worn to points. I'm so cheap I squeak. Cheaper than a third squirt of cat pee.

Bill

Old August 2nd, 2017, 02:47 PM   #14
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
so it has nothing to do with location, for example when i drop some teeth in the rear, for gearing, on my smallest sprocket i am past the hash mark, and your saying thats no good? i dont want to drop a link just for the smaller sprocket.

Old August 2nd, 2017, 03:07 PM   #15
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
so it has nothing to do with location, for example when i drop some teeth in the rear, for gearing, on my smallest sprocket i am past the hash mark, and your saying thats no good? i dont want to drop a link just for the smaller sprocket.
I don't know what all the fuss is about the "hash" mark. I never had a motorcycle, including my present Ninja, with a "hash" mark. Maybe it's just a friendly reminder that your chain is wearing, All the chain and sprockets care about is the amount of free play in your chain. Do your sprocket thing, properly adjust your chain and ride. If you run out of adjustment then worry about removing a link.

Bill

Old August 2nd, 2017, 03:26 PM   #16
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I don't know what all the fuss is about the "hash" mark. I never had a motorcycle, including my present Ninja, with a "hash" mark. Maybe it's just a friendly reminder that your chain is wearing, All the chain and sprockets care about is the amount of free play in your chain. Do your sprocket thing, properly adjust your chain and ride. If you run out of adjustment then worry about removing a link.

Bill
Idid not understand the hoopla on the hash mark either,
i did watch a motogp vid where they kept the axel in the same location when changing out the sprockets, to not change the geometry of the bike, was not sure if thats where they were going with there post.

Old August 2nd, 2017, 05:04 PM   #17
DannoXYZ

Yeah, I never bother with marks on swingarm because they're really not that accurate.

I prefer to measure wear in %-stretch or pull-chain-off-sprocket test. I'm running a 18/59t 428 conversion anyway, so those marks don't apply.

Old August 2nd, 2017, 05:08 PM   #18
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Right, it's just a fool-proof test to know when the chain is worn to the point of needing replacement, but it relies on your having the stock sprockets installed. Measuring the chain is really the most straightforward and accurate way to know when it needs replacement.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2017, 07:00 PM   #19
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrshooter View Post
Yeah, not location relevant for anything but stock chain & sprockets. I usually mill the slot forwards and remove two links from chain to shorten wheelbase anyway.

You didn't hear that from me and you can't use it to go faster than me!