ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 26th, 2021, 11:23 PM   #1
TuesdayKolt
ninjette.org newbie

Name: none

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja ex250

Turn signal problem

Helloe guys i have a 09 ninja 250.which .The turn signals dont work? I tried with the stock bjlbs and led,tried changing the flasher relay and put in a new fuse.but for some reason they dont come on niether does the indicater on the dash.any help?
TuesdayKolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2021, 05:16 AM   #2
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

So the indicator bulb doesn't light up at left or right on have check the bulb ?.
1: Check the relay wire it should be getting power
2: Check the handlebar switch cluster the solid orange wire should have power
Here the EX250 Wiring Schematic
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2021, 09:53 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Do you have multimeter and know how to use it to measure voltage?
This is 5-minute repair with multmeter.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2021, 07:22 PM   #4
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

in most cases I've found that the turn signal switch in the handle bars is at fault
or a bulb is bad or turn signal relay is bad to check the bulb replace with a known good one, to check the relay unfortionately the same is done ( replace with a known good one)
some times when a bulb burns out they also blow the fuze so it should be the first thing you check....
after following the above suggestions by the guys, if you still have no luck but have power to everything.... I can almost guarantee you that it is the turn signal switch in the handle bars that is corroded, and it needs to be taken apart and cleaned.
on several older bikes I have had, the switch itself was so corroded that the bare metal contacts would slide across each other without making electrical contact
so cleaning the once shinnie copper contacts that are now dark brown with emery cloth/sand paper to make them shine again is in order !
those switches are exposed to the weather and using WD-40 on all the switches on the handle bars really helps ! it lubricates and drives out the moisture ! a good thing in this case !
some times even just flipping the switch many times will make the thing start working ... but this isn't a real good idea because there is obvious resistance in the switch now...and to prevent blowing fuzes , over heating wires and the like , the switch needs to be cleaned or replaced !
my 2 coppers !
Bob.........

Old September 29th, 2021, 11:55 AM   #5
TuesdayKolt
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the info i will try what everybody mentioned,could using a third party ignition key switch have something to do with it also? Sorry im kind of a noob

Old September 29th, 2021, 04:05 PM   #6
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuesdayKolt View Post
Thanks for the info i will try what everybody mentioned,could using a third party ignition key switch have something to do with it also? Sorry im kind of a noob
Not likely, aftermarket ignition will cause no-start condition. But turn-signals will still work.
What's background on this bike?
Did turn-signals and dash-indicator work at some point in past?
If so, put it back to that condition by undoing whatever you did.

For those finding this with searches, here's basic troubleshooting process.

I. TEST EASY STUFF 1ST, FUSE !!!

ONLY way to confirm fuse is good is to measure it!!! Don't just eyeball it, or replace with new. So many parts from auto-parts stores are crap nowadays, they are bad right out of box and must be tested to confirm they are good before using. Know of many, many people who buy brand-new electronics from auto-parts store and they turn out to be bad, many times in row. Then they go to junkyard and pull used OEM part out of junked car and it works!!! So many times I've heard, "fuse looks good" and turned out not to conduct electricty. This is ONLY way 100% for sure to know fuse is good.

II. TRACE FLOW OF ELECTRICITY IN CIRCUIT !

Electricity is just like water, it flows downhill to ground. So just trace path of electricity and test for flow at various junctions and where electricity/water stops, is your problem. A clog, break in circuit.

So, start from source of water/electricity.

1. Battery +positive terminal, voltage = ???
2. WHT wire leaving starter-solenoid, voltage = ???
3. WHT wire entering ignition-switch, voltage = ???
4. key ON, ORG/GRN leaving ignition-switch, voltage = ???
5. WHT/GRN after ignition-switch, voltage = ???
6. WHT/GRN entering fuse-box, voltage = ???
7. ORG/GRN leaving fuse-box, voltage = ???
8. ORG/GRN entering turn-signal relay/flasher, voltage = ???
9. ORG leaving turn-signal relay/flasher, voltage = ???
10. ORG entering turn-signal switch, voltage = ???
11. turn-signal switch to LEFT, GRN wire leaving turn-signal switch, voltage = ???
12. GRN wire entering left turn-signal light-bulb socket, voltage = ???
13. GRN wire entering dash going towards turn-signal indicator, voltage = ???

If you can measure battery-voltage, you can track down where break is in turn-signal circuit that causes your turn-signals to not work. If you can't measure battery-voltage, here's how (will save you tonnes of money & time): https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials...multimeter/all

III. BRING IT OVER AND I FIX IT !!!

I'm better than 99.9% of shoppes out there because I know how to use voltmeter! Find and fix electrical problems in 1/10th time it takes most muppets in shoppes who desperately swap parts. Heck, I'll build an entire harness from scratch faster than what it takes them to track down most basic of problems. Heck, I only charge $100/hr too. One time, I dropped off bike at shoppe to have carbs cleaned because bike wasn't running right. Got call back 3-days later asking where to plug in diagnostic scanner!!! EEEeeediots!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; September 29th, 2021 at 11:44 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2021, 12:04 PM   #7
TuesdayKolt
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks so much for the help guys,strangely turns out my problem was bad wiring using a aftermarket ignition,but ill take the advice into consideration incase i have any future.turn signal problems

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.