Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old January 5th, 2015, 11:17 PM   #1
BAZININJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Lori

Motorcycle(s): 2018 NINJA 650 ABS KRT

Talking The joys of Ninjette ownership!

I took a little time to reflect on the memorable moments of Ninjette ownership last year: FINALLY getting my green NINJA; owning a bike that actually fits me again; learning how NOT to change the low beam bulb; finding out just how important the owner's manual, which is still somewhere in Oregon with the previous owner, is when the internet is down for three days (I've since bought a replacement one); adding a very special item to my T-CLOCS: BOLTS; getting a very special item in my Christmas stocking: blue Loctite; exploring NINJA farkle nirvana on eBay; figuring out how to adjust the rear brake light spring/mechanism and replacing the left blinker ALL BY MYSELF, without the aid of YouTube; being thankful for all those guys who take the time to post videos on YouTube of how to change the oil, clean the chain--and change the low beam bulb; finding out I had to have something called "spools" in order to use the stand I bought; waves from all the sportbike guys; feeling what it's like to ride a NINJA 250 in 28 degree temps; constantly hearing the question, "Is that a 650?"; and just plain having a BALL throwing my favorite 250 around on the motorcycle training range and beyond!!!
BAZININJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2015, 12:12 PM   #3
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

28 degrees? Wow, you are more dedicated than me. Where about in Central Iowa? I'm in the Des Moines area.

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
My 2¢,

The small Kawasaki twins Ninja 250 & EX/Ninja 500 are advantageous in the twisties, if rider and bike are set up properly, and walk all over it's bigger brothers, and cousins.

I've had bike bore bikes, and in the twisties, the smaller bores had the advantage, my only advantage on a big bore was not shifting as much, and the straightaway.

It always comes down psychics, you can't argue with that, and win said argument.

I own both the 250 & 500 now at the same time, is just plain awesome. Their inexpensive to insure, maintain, and simple enough to work on, plus inexpensive DIY projects.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2015, 01:34 PM   #5
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
It always comes down psychics, you can't argue with that, and win said argument.

Yeah, I never win, They always know what I am going to say next!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 6th, 2015, 01:47 PM   #6
BAZININJA
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
28 degrees? Wow, you are more dedicated than me. Where about in Central Iowa? I'm in the Des Moines area.
Me, too! I'm an instructor at DMACC, and I wanted to take the NINJA to the last class of the year, which was Oct 31-11/2. Remember how cold it got?? That's the coldest class I've ever taught and I had absolutely NO desire to strip off any layers all day Saturday. The only real problem I had is that the wind hits me right in the chest, and even through all those layers, I could still feel it. Oh, and the helmet I bought to go with it doesn't have the extra anti-fog piece that my Nolan has so it kept steaming up pretty bad. Since then I've stuck with my Honda with its full windshield when it's that cold. For me, the lowest threshold for the NINJA is about 45, sunny, no wind.

Old January 6th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #7
BAZININJA
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
My 2¢,

The small Kawasaki twins Ninja 250 & EX/Ninja 500 are advantageous in the twisties, if rider and bike are set up properly, and walk all over it's bigger brothers, and cousins.

I've had bike bore bikes, and in the twisties, the smaller bores had the advantage, my only advantage on a big bore was not shifting as much, and the straightaway.
I joined a group in the twisties in Missouri and Arkansas on my Honda (700cc). My basics are solid from teaching classes, but the only other real twisties I had done was the Dragon/Skyway on my Shadow Aero 750. Everybody had sportbikes except a guy on an old naked 'Wing and I kept up with them. Like me, they like to run about 5mph over the speed limit, so the group was a great fit for me. I know one gal had a CBR 600, but I don't know for sure what everybody else had. Chances are I had the heaviest bike except for maybe the 'Wing. I've wondered how I might fare on the NINJA in a group with bigger bore bikes. I certainly don't need to be first, but I really don't want to be last either. I'll get a chance to find out when I move down there in a couple years. And with single-digit temps today that are going to stay below zero tomorrow, it can't happen soon enough!!!

Old January 6th, 2015, 03:30 PM   #8
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-Lori View Post
Me, too! I'm an instructor at DMACC, and I wanted to take the NINJA to the last class of the year, which was Oct 31-11/2. Remember how cold it got?? That's the coldest class I've ever taught and I had absolutely NO desire to strip off any layers all day Saturday. The only real problem I had is that the wind hits me right in the chest, and even through all those layers, I could still feel it. Oh, and the helmet I bought to go with it doesn't have the extra anti-fog piece that my Nolan has so it kept steaming up pretty bad. Since then I've stuck with my Honda with its full windshield when it's that cold. For me, the lowest threshold for the NINJA is about 45, sunny, no wind.
Another female sportbike rider in DSM!!! I'll maybe, finally have another girl to ride with!

Yes, I remember that cold snap. It was brutal. I'm with you, 45 and sunny is about my threshold. I went riding on one of those 45 degree drizzling days in November and just about froze my backside off. I have found that switching out the stock windscreen for a double bubble helped a bunch. Now it's just my hands that get really cold. One of my winter projects is installing heated grips.

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2015, 03:46 PM   #9
BAZININJA
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Another female sportbike rider in DSM!!! I'll maybe, finally have another girl to ride with!

Yes, I remember that cold snap. It was brutal. I'm with you, 45 and sunny is about my threshold. I went riding on one of those 45 degree drizzling days in November and just about froze my backside off. I have found that switching out the stock windscreen for a double bubble helped a bunch. Now it's just my hands that get really cold. One of my winter projects is installing heated grips.
I'm in! Let's ride!!!!! The challenge I run into is that I work most weekends from April-October. But I'm super flexible during the week! I'll PM you with my email so we can keep in touch!

Not too many female students make a beeline to the CBRs during classes, so it's nice to have found a kindred spirit!

Old January 7th, 2015, 11:09 AM   #10
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

I'm interested in how you like your NT700V. I used to own a PC800, and I'm really looking into getting another one, or something similar as a practical commuter, and the NT700V is on the short list. (I may have to start another thread if you don't want to derail your own Ninja thread...).
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #11
BAZININJA
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldtraveller View Post
I'm interested in how you like your NT700V. I used to own a PC800, and I'm really looking into getting another one, or something similar as a practical commuter, and the NT700V is on the short list. (I may have to start another thread if you don't want to derail your own Ninja thread...).
Love it, love it, LOVE IT!!! I just wish it had come in NINJA green. I've put 25,000+ miles on it, added larger pannier lids and a lower fairing (it had come with the topbox), MCCruise electronic cruise control, J&M CB/intercom/weather radio, Shark audio system, Denali front lights, Ad-More lights on the topbox, Garmin Zumo (I'm drooling over the 590lm now), and various other farkles. To learn more check out www.nt-owners.org