Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:58 AM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Pocket Knives

I am a sucker for knives. I love them...swords too.

I am curious what does everyone carry?

For me, it depends on what I am doing. Typically I carry a Gerber Bear Grylls Scout.

I also got a Gerber Clutch in a BG survival kit of mine. I am debating on using this when I go to work. The multitool would be a nice thing to have.

Next I have a Kershaw Black Colt II. I love the blade on this, but it is a little bulky for the size. Due to this, I tend to stick with the Gerber Scout.

I also have a Gerber BG Compact Fixed Blade and a Gerber BG Ultimate Knife. Those are more utility knives/camping. I use the fixed blade for small jobs and the Ultimate for larger ones. The serrated blade comes in handy as well.

Then there is the SOG Micron that I keep on another key chain. It is really small and hard to get a good grip on. Due to this, I only use it for soft things. I normally kept it on me to cut up fruit I brought for lunch.

What is your preferred blade to keep on hand?

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:51 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Benchmade Nitrous Blitz. Always in my pocket. Very clever, simple assisted opening with no moving parts (one of the side plates is cleverly cut to form a leaf spring and it's got a standard lockback… no buttons, pins, tiny coil springs….). 154CM steel that holds a good edge. Superb knife, and about as flat and minimalist as it gets.

adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:56 AM   #3
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

too many to search up pictures... the one I carry the most is the small one... Just a cheap Gerber I bought back in college for $10 or something cheap like that.

I have lots of other larger ones, some CRKT, some Kershaw, a few no-name, two different leather-man's, etc. No assisted openings or any garbage like that, just plain old knives... i don't buy into that assisted opening crap.

the only thing I have a hankering for right now is a nice 8" or so fixed blade hunting type knife. I don't hunt, but just always wanted one. On the lookout for a good deal on a good quality one with a nice sheath.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:34 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I prefer ~ 2-3" blade, full tang fixed blade. They are a little heavy but solid as a rock.
@Apex I used to collect swords back in the day. I still have them all in storage. Mostly Japanese style swords, mainly katanas, some ninjatos and a few wakizashi. Don't have anything historic or high end. But some cool pieces non the less.

My buddy actually hand forges knives, he gave me a cool damascus blade deer antler handle. Been meaning to find the time to get him to help me forge my own full tang damascus blade katana as a show piece. Should be interesting if i get around to it.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:18 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
No assisted openings or any garbage like that, just plain old knives... i don't buy into that assisted opening crap.
You'd be amazed at how handy it actually is. To me, assisted opening is not about getting the blade out fast (i.e. for fighting, which I think really is "tacticool" BS for the vast majority... myself included). It's about not having two hands free to grab the blade and open the knife.

Other knives I've had include a folding Spyderco with the big thumb hole for one-hand opening. I've also got a Milwaukee box cutter with a release button that lets the blade swing free so you can flip it to the open-locked position.

The Benchmade beats both hands-down. Much less awkward than the thumb-hole knife and much safer (more positive) than the stud release mechanism.

The best thing about the Benchmade, though, isn't the mechanism... it's the blade. Vastly superior to any other knife I've ever owned.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:30 AM   #6
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

We have four knives we keep around at home...

My wife uses an old Gerber folding knife I got years ago. She keeps it in her purse for just in case scenarios.

I have a cheap little GreatNeck knife that I got with a multi-tool from Auto Zone clipped onto my backpack and I keep another Gerber folding knife at home by the front door. It's the one I take with me when I walk the dog around the block or go somewhere outside.

The last knife is my favorite, a Ka-Bar USMC Fighting Knife. I have two of them mounted on plaques that I received as awards and one in my drawer on its leather sheath. When I go on a hike or to the range I'll clip it to my backpack or rifle bag. When I'm on a long drive with the family I'll keep it tucked in on the right side of my seat with the handle unclipped from the sheath so I can grab it quickly if I need to.

On my list of things to buy are a couple of machetes and some survival knives to cut seat belts and stuff like that.

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I've a M7 bayonet which I keep razor sharp, used it for years when working with my unit, mostly taking down foliage to cover the forward observation posts. That on the end of my rifle was always a good deterrent.

Along with that a leatherman TTI which was the only tool I needed to take one of my field guns apart (the other needed a mallet too)

For situations where a knife may be considered "inappropriate" I have a spyderco bug, it's very discreet, smaller than a AA battery when folded down, and about the size of the ninja's key when open, but it's the sharpest blade I've ever used (I work in a hospital now, the bug puts scalpels to shame)

I ordered it knowing it was going to be small, but was shocked to see the long side of it's box was the size of the short side of a credit card...

Last futzed with by Whiskey; January 23rd, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:40 AM   #8
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
It's about not having two hands free to grab the blade and open the knife.
I can open every one of my knives (except for my multi-tools) with my thumb, no need for two hands. That includes the gerber I posted above that doesn't even have the thumb stud.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Ben M
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Smith and Wesson Oasis. Inexpensive and does everything I need it to. And I can open it very easily with just one hand.

Ben M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I just purchased this to keep with my motorcycle

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

It's a knife, a tiny LED flashlight and a fire starter. It also has a whistle which supposedly can travel for miles.

Link to original page on YouTube.

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:16 PM   #11
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Okay, no, seriously: I use the same Gerber Clutch one you use. I got it a few years back and it still works fine.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:44 PM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Man View Post

Okay, no, seriously: I use the same Gerber Clutch one you use. I got it a few years back and it still works fine.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:48 PM   #13
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Man View Post
i got a CCK at my desk thats razor sharp

Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:53 PM   #14
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
The Benchmade beats both hands-down. Much less awkward than the thumb-hole knife and much safer (more positive) than the stud release mechanism.

The best thing about the Benchmade, though, isn't the mechanism... it's the blade. Vastly superior to any other knife I've ever owned.
i agree completely,
the benchmade edge geometry and steel is really durable.

i carry a cheap gerber EAB as the utility knife, its compact and uses standard blades.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:16 PM   #15
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
I'm a sucker for knives too (especially if they are easy to conceal among the body), currently I have the following:

1. Fox Karambit w/Emerson Wave Feature

2. Talon Neck Knife

3. Mantis Knives Cyclops

4. Kershaw Knife

On my drool list aka wishlist:

1. Krudo Knives
a.) Snag 2.0 Folder Plain Edge

b.) Snag 2.0 Folder Controller

c.) Snagette Fixblade w/Sheath

d.) SNAGette 2.0 Black Aluminum Controller

2. Emerson Karambit + Karambit Trainer Knife

3. Spyderco Delica4 + the Spyderco Delica4 with the Emerson Wave feature (not pictured)

4. KA-BAR TDI Law Enforcement Last Ditch Knife

...and although not a knife, I'm also into self-defense/EDC dull blade things too, such as this (which I own as well):

1. Nuko Tools Punch Ring (made out of G10)

2. Also want a Leatherman Tool (Not sure which one yet, but that's on the drool list too).

3. I also want a pair of Nunchaku's, but I live in Cali and they are illegal. Someday, I will acquire some of those.

antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:48 PM   #16
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
2. Also want a Leatherman Tool (Not sure which one yet, but that's on the drool list too).

3. I also want a pair of Nunchaku's, but I live in Cali and they are illegal. Someday, I will acquire some of those.
some interesting hardware,

I have a leatherman blast, I like it a lot, it is mid price for leatherman but has great features and everything works great on it. This is actually my second one, I guess that doesn't sound good considering i broke the first, but i tend to be pretty hard on things and the fact that it lasted me 2 years was impressive. Like i said, i liked it so much a bought another after it broke. Check it out.

I have some nunchaku's, I have a hardwood set with some weight that you could actually use to do harm, and a "form" set that are super light you just use to show off your skills with I used to have a foam set somewhere, my buddy and i used to dual. Fun stuff.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2013, 07:55 PM   #17
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
some interesting hardware,

I have a leatherman blast, I like it a lot, it is mid price for leatherman but has great features and everything works great on it. This is actually my second one, I guess that doesn't sound good considering i broke the first, but i tend to be pretty hard on things and the fact that it lasted me 2 years was impressive. Like i said, i liked it so much a bought another after it broke. Check it out.

I have some nunchaku's, I have a hardwood set with some weight that you could actually use to do harm, and a "form" set that are super light you just use to show off your skills with I used to have a foam set somewhere, my buddy and i used to dual. Fun stuff.
Thanks on the Leatherman tip, I'll check it out. I use to have some foam nunchaku's too and practice with those (don't know what happen to them), but I really want some "real" ones, more so for the house/practice, etc. Ha, dueling sounds like fun.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:25 PM   #18
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
I'm a sucker for knives too (especially if they are easy to conceal among the body), currently I have the following:

1. Fox Karambit w/Emerson Wave Feature

2. Talon Neck Knife

3. Mantis Knives Cyclops

4. Kershaw Knife

On my drool list aka wishlist:

1. Krudo Knives
a.) Snag 2.0 Folder Plain Edge

b.) Snag 2.0 Folder Controller

c.) Snagette Fixblade w/Sheath

d.) SNAGette 2.0 Black Aluminum Controller

2. Emerson Karambit + Karambit Trainer Knife

3. Spyderco Delica4 + the Spyderco Delica4 with the Emerson Wave feature (not pictured)

4. KA-BAR TDI Law Enforcement Last Ditch Knife

...and although not a knife, I'm also into self-defense/EDC dull blade things too, such as this (which I own as well):

1. Nuko Tools Punch Ring (made out of G10)

This thread just got tacticool. The 11 year old me would have just popped a boner...

Old January 23rd, 2013, 08:45 PM   #19
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

LOL

Yeah, I have two leatherman's sitting around the house. One is geared a bit more towards outdoors, while the other is more urban. Outdoor one has a mini saw, indoor has a file. You know, that kind of thing.

I am really digging this Gerber Clutch. I may snag another, since they are so cheap, so this one can go back into my survival kit.
It is less bulky than the Gerber Scout. I, however, do love my scout. Maybe the Scout will stay in my car...

I have a mini survival kit in my car. No first aid stuff, but paracord, Swedish firesteel, my Oldtimer knife, water purification tablets, and some cotton balls for fire starting. I need to go through it again. It is just a mini kit, but the Scout may find its home there. I ground the back of the blade down, to get through the anodizing, so it can be used on a firesteel. That coating won't give a spark, so I ground down a section of it with a dremel. Just enough to get through the coating. Now it will make sparks all day long on that firesteel.

Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:03 PM   #20
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
This thread just got tacticool. The 11 year old me would have just popped a boner...
... o.0

Old January 24th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #21
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

This is my diving knife:
http://www.scubapro.com/en-GB/SWE/ac...ess-knife.aspx

Old January 24th, 2013, 07:15 AM   #22
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I too love knives, swords, guns and **** that goes boom...

My everyday carriers:

Old January 24th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
was passed a deer handled buck knife when i turned 6. now a days i carry two ckrt's with me, the m16 14sfg and the K.I.S.S. nothing fancy but they work well. i also keep a little ckrt 'peck' stored in my pack. technically i conceal but every cop and sheriff i've dealt with has been uncaring... never needed to be arrested though.

Old January 30th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #24
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Like 9 years back, my bro-inlaw got me the sog flash II as a gift. Ever since then I've been carrying it in my pocket. I recently replaced it with a newer one and have no want or reason for a different blade. Multi tool and led flashlight in the backpack.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #25
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Kershaw ken onion knife is what i carry. i have had them for years.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #26
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
Like 9 years back, my bro-inlaw got me the sog flash II as a gift. Ever since then I've been carrying it in my pocket. I recently replaced it with a newer one and have no want or reason for a different blade. Multi tool and led flashlight in the backpack.
they are great knives, the lock up is solid and it comes razor sharp out of the box.

i have had mine for about 5 yrs now, it still opens quick and the safety works well.

Old May 29th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #27
WillieAlexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I just purchased this to keep with my motorcycle

It's a knife, tiny LED
cheap flashlights and a fire starter. It also has a whistle which supposedly can travel for miles.

Thanks for sharing link and video. Looks like interesting knife. it could be very useful in travelling and camping

Last futzed with by WillieAlexander; May 30th, 2013 at 04:42 AM.

Old May 30th, 2013, 07:19 AM   #28
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Next on the list: Benchmade SOC P Dagger Knife

Old May 30th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #29
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

No one carries customs? I'm a hobbyist knifemaker, so what I carry can be anything from a slipjoint to a kirdashi to a sgian dubh.

I've carried each of these at some point in the last month. TN has a 4" blade limit, so I like to make them about 3.875".

As for an everyday beater, Kershaw Compound. can't get a pic of that one because it is loaned out to a friend while I clean up his karambit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130530_093736.jpg (113.1 KB, 6 views)

Old May 30th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #30
lgk

Cool

i started making blanks but haven't finalized anything yet.

Old May 30th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #31
Sinister
nub

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): '08 zx-14

Only time i don't have a knife of some sort on me is if im someplace security prevents it (ie a plane)

Most of the time i carry a berretta airlight 2 (3.5 inch blade)

Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #32
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

No custom blades here. The ones I've seen tend to be rather bulky. Those look pretty compact.

I am really liking a more fixed blade setup these days. They are just so much more durable (if they are full tang).

Old May 31st, 2013, 04:37 AM   #33
Alchemist
Crash Test Dummy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): none (at the moment)

Zero Tolerance 0350. It's a smaller version of the 0300 series, which is a Ken Onion/Mick Strider collaboration made out of S30v steel. While I'm not really a fan of the spring assist, the flipper makes it much more covenient, and the system locks up like Fort Knox.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2013, 06:53 AM   #34
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
No custom blades here. The ones I've seen tend to be rather bulky. Those look pretty compact.

I am really liking a more fixed blade setup these days. They are just so much more durable (if they are full tang).
The Blade Show is going on Today through Sunday in ATL. Not sure where you are, but is AWESOME! Every top maker on the planet (for the most part) is there. I went 2 years ago when I was first learning to grind, but poor scheduling kept me away this year.

As for bulky, it all depends on what you are looking for. I'd say most people who spend $500+ on a custom framelock are just going to show it off to their friends and never actually "use" it. So they want something "substantial" in hand. I actually prefer a thin handle on a folder because I'm not going to be using it very long.

Use a pocket knife long enough to make it uncomfortable in your hand... and you should have brought a fixed blade.

Dang, this is making me want to get back in the shop. Good Thread!

Old May 31st, 2013, 10:24 AM   #35
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

Quote:
Originally Posted by broilmebk View Post
This is my EDC as well.

Old May 31st, 2013, 01:22 PM   #36
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Side story... I accidentally left that knife in my laptop bag flying out of PHL. Didn't even know it was in my bag until I got to my destination.
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2013, 04:18 PM   #37
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

My carry knives:
Chris Reeves - Large Sebenza - best knives ever!
Spyderco - Endura 4
Spyderco - Delica 4
Swiss Army - tiny red Classic

I'm excited to be getting a Spyderco Ladybug in green and also one in ZDP-189 just for bragging rights.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2013, 05:17 PM   #38
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I still enjoy carrying my Scout. It was rather bulky at one point in time, but now I feel rather naked without it. My Clutch will most likely go back into my survival kit once my job ends. I only yanked it out and carry it everywhere because it is compact and the tools come in handy while at work.

I really like my Gerber BG Compact Fixed Blade knife. I just don't like how bulky the sheath is. They could have done so much more with it. Still, a good and compact knife to carry while camping.

Old May 31st, 2013, 05:19 PM   #39
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I love anything with a blade on it. I guess a big part of me is still a kid.

I'm still ticked that my elementary school confiscated my tiny Swiss Army knife. The blade was like what, 1" long? What am I going to do with that? Ugh. It was a nice green too. Have yet to find another like it. Bastards! lol

Old May 31st, 2013, 06:57 PM   #40
Alchemist
Crash Test Dummy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): none (at the moment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
My carry knives:
Chris Reeves - Large Sebenza - best knives ever!
Spyderco - Endura 4
Spyderco - Delica 4
Swiss Army - tiny red Classic

I'm excited to be getting a Spyderco Ladybug in green and also one in ZDP-189 just for bragging rights.
You have excellent taste. The Sebenza is a great knife, just a little too rich for my blood. Swiss army knives are also great tools with a well-earned rep. I have a few of them kicking around... To include one ofmthose tiny red classics.
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote