ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 31st, 2016, 09:37 AM   #1
PrometheanLiver
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2016 HD Roadster, 2014 Custom RE Continental GT, 1987 Ninja 250R and several more

'87 250R Track Bike Build by PrometheanLiver

Hi all,

Several weeks ago a nice lady who walked into my bar, we got to talking about her 1987 Ninja 250R. She had owned the bike since it was new, rode it around Queens and Manhattan, then had kids and parked the bike in her garage sometime in the mid 90's. In 2013, with only 4200 miles on the clock, she had the bike serviced to be put on the road, had a minor spill at about 5mph and never got back on the bike. Long story short - I bought her bike for $300.

I've built several bikes in various styles and applications, but the stoke for this build might surpass any of my other builds. Here is the brief, so far:

-Super lightweight track bike (Not racing ninja class, just want to go fast :P at track days). Every stock item that is not essential for the bike to run will be removed.
- Vintage Kawasaki enduro tank with carbon fiber fairing, seat, and nose fairing
- Tiny headlight, taillight, signals and horn will keep this bike "street legal"
- EX500 front suspension, wheels and ZX600 rear shock
- JE 13.5:1 high compression pistons, pod filters and semi-custom exhaust with rejetting

I will be posting a full build timeline here in this thread. As this unfolds, I welcome any help, comments, critiques.

Let the pictures roll! (Yes, I have a lot of mint parts for sale. The following post(s) will go into deatil about that.

Cheers,

Chris

PrometheanLiver is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old October 31st, 2016, 10:13 AM   #2
PrometheanLiver
ninjette.org newbie

Motorcycle(s): 2016 HD Roadster, 2014 Custom RE Continental GT, 1987 Ninja 250R and several more

PARTS FOR SALE!

Yes, I will be parting with everything I don't need for this bike to run.

I would like to offer all of these parts to the community before they go on eBay in a week or so. I would like to keep certain parts in "pairs" or together. For example, I would like to sell all the plastics together or in a group - mufflers, main fairing plastics, tail fairing plastics, wheels, all seat pieces, etc.

I'm not trying to squeeze every dime I can out of these parts, but I do know the general market value. With the exception of a couple nicks and very minor scratches, all parts are in the BEST shape that could be expected for a 30 year old motorcycle. All parts come with all hardware and bolt caps which are all in stellar condition (didn't squirt one drop of PB Blaster!). Message me with offers for what you would like.

Here is (most of) the list:

All plastics (main fairing, tail fairing, gas cap cover, windscreen, chin fairing, front fender)
Seat (four pieces - main seat, passenger seat/compartment cover, knee pieces)
Rear inner fender/compartment
Compartment release/lock mechanism
Mufflers
Center stand
Tail assembly (with signals, license plate mount and light, luggage hooks, etc)
Tail light (slightly broken plastic on removal, but will be barely noticable)
Gauge cluster (4,215.6 on clock)
Headlight
Headlight, cluster, windscreen frame
Right and Left complete foot controls with passenger pegs
Front and rear wheel with brand new rubber (from 2013)

Old October 31st, 2016, 10:20 AM   #3
PrometheanLiver
ninjette.org newbie

After the teardown....

Take this photo with a grain of salt. The EX500 front end, wheels and ZX600 rear shock is not on the bike yet so the stance is not yet there. The tank is just set on top of the backbone, but it will be modified and tucked into to look like it was factory! Also, the entire "sub-frame" will be chopped off and new geometry built to suit.

Old October 31st, 2016, 10:35 AM   #4
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Those are the best looking little ninjas, if I had one, I would probably be keeping it instead of selling my 2000

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2016, 12:24 PM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I was going to suggest leaving it completely stock and finding a beater to strip for track riding.

That's one of the best ones I've seen. I'd probably just put some tires on it and ride it.

Unless you don't have a Title that is.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2016, 01:28 PM   #6
Nextbesthing
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 95 ninja 250, 08 KLR 650

Looks super minty.
Nextbesthing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2016, 08:20 PM   #7
pop0tart
ninjette.org member

Name: Dash

Motorcycle(s): stolen :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I was going to suggest leaving it completely stock and finding a beater to strip for track riding.

That's one of the best ones I've seen. I'd probably just put some tires on it and ride it.

Unless you don't have a Title that is.
I gotta echo the sentiments that that bike is gorgeous as is. There are plenty of other ninjettes out there to make into track bikes. Bikes like yours are very hard to find.
pop0tart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2016, 01:01 PM   #8
PrometheanLiver
ninjette.org newbie

I knew there were going to be some people upset with me for using this bike for a build, but it's the bike that I have and a gently used bike makes for a better platform to build a track bike.

I've decided that I'm going to call this build "the transplant." It's my first build since moving to Chicago from New York, it being the donor for a project, and I figure that there is someone out there somewhere that will be thrilled with the mint parts and plastics that I don't need.

I promise you all will be stoked with how this bike turns out. Promise. :P

Old November 2nd, 2016, 03:01 PM   #9
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'll trade you. I even have a second set of factory plastics with track rash on them. That's too pretty to be tracked. It literally might be the single best condition original 250 in existence, outside of Kawasaki Corporate storage...

I'm half serious.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2016, 11:46 PM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Man you got a sweet deal!!!

You would have won the best old bike category at the ninjette Christmas party even

Old November 3rd, 2016, 07:03 AM   #11
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheanLiver View Post
I knew there were going to be some people upset with me for using this bike for a build, but it's the bike that I have and a gently used bike makes for a better platform to build a track bike.
:P
Well, it's just that you don't see ANY of those in THAT GOOD of condition - ever. That gen was only produced a couple of years, and they are usually junk by now.

Considering that you are planning to pull the engine down, a sweet runner isn't necessary. Another member here found 2 Ninjas without Titles for $500, which would give you a spare engine, wheels, and frame in case you needed it. Beaters are out there. We bought a beater in IL from a member here for $150 that ran and had a Title. You could say they are almost a dime-a-dozen.

You may be able to trade or even sell that one to completely finance your track build.

Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:26 PM   #12
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Same here, I'd give you at least two pregens plus lots of spares in trade to get that bike in original condition. There's probably not two dozen of the first bikes left in decent condition in this country and none of them are for sale.

I knew a guy that cut up a pristine 70-1/2 RS/SS survivor Camaro to make a dirt track car a few years ago, it was truly sad. He made up his mind to trash that car and trash it he did.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2016, 08:27 AM   #13
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Think about the offers before you continue.

Right now you have options. After you cut the frame it's junk.

Old November 9th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #14
Bk834
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250 Cafe Racer

That's a nice bike, and a pretty rare find. I couldn't have brought myself to tear that one down. I would have kept that stock, collected it, and found a rashed up beater to build. Plenty of cheap 2000+ to cut up and build into bobbers.

Old November 9th, 2016, 09:52 PM   #15
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Nice classic
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #16
PrometheanLiver
ninjette.org newbie

I appreciate all of your positions on this subject, but after consideration I'm going forward with the build as planned and scheduled. I promise this will be the most painful part of the thread. The rest of the build process will be very exciting and a bit of a different bike than has been done here before.

Furthermore, these parts, as valued as they seem to be, are available to go to new homes and deserving projects.

Here are the links to the auctions on eBay:

Rear wheel - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347030844
Front wheel - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347031668
Right foot control/pegs with brake pedal - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347033458
Left foot control/pegs with shift linkage - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347034622
Front fender - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347035809
Fairing subframe - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347036216
Exhaust - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347036549
Gauge cluster - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347036908
Windscreen - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347037353
Headlight - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347039448
Seat - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347040120
Tail fairing plastics - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347041241
Chin fairing - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347040717
Main fairing plastics - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347041760
Tail section - https://www.ebay.com/itm/182347033168

Old November 9th, 2016, 10:39 PM   #17
PrometheanLiver
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk834 View Post
That's a nice bike, and a pretty rare find. I couldn't have brought myself to tear that one down. I would have kept that stock, collected it, and found a rashed up beater to build. Plenty of cheap 2000+ to cut up and build into bobbers.
Not building a bobber

Old November 10th, 2016, 01:22 AM   #18
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

As others have said, don't chop that. It's in really good original condition & those First gen 250's are pretty rare. Sell it to someone who will keep it stock, then by a second gen as you are getting rid of all the body work, it makes no difference which you use as the base !

A real shame to junk that bike. Sort yourself out man
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #19
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I tend to agree with the others. It seems you're not using most of the bike's parts anyway, so it feels like needlessly chopping up a low mileage, great condition classic. But it's your stuff, so you can do what you want with it. Maybe someone else can buy all of your takeoffs as a package and restore a neglected one at least.

As a logical argument, you may have better luck finding track goodies for a newer 250, rather than the 30 year old one-off model. A NewGen would save you the suspension/wheel swap work too. You could flip the '87 for a ton of profit to fund the track toy.

Do you already happen to have an EX500 front end? There's nothing special about them - they're pretty much the same as the NewGen front end, and quite possibly one of the worst parts of the 500 (though that's due to the incredibly soft springs, not really the fork hardware itself).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #20
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
A newgen or 300 front end also has many more options for aftermarket larger and/or floating brake rotors and/or aftermarket high end calipers because they're new and modern. Not so much for the 500.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2016, 08:49 AM   #21
Bk834
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250 Cafe Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheanLiver View Post
Not building a bobber
Cafe Racer, whatever. Either way, it's a shame to cut up such a nice and rare bike, when the exact same starting point that you have now could have been had with a cheap and common 98-07 250. The smart thing to do would have been to flip that bike for about 4-5k and then buy a pregen to build into a bobber, and a newgen to enjoy stock. Good luck with your project though.

Old November 13th, 2016, 09:59 PM   #22
PrometheanLiver
ninjette.org newbie

Guys,

I understand your positions on the matter. I had thought about it thoroughly, I promise. However, there are a few points that I'd like to iterate.

1) Somewhere, sometime there might be someone who would be willing to pay $4-5k for this bike. I would have taken it, but these kind of buyers are not queued up on a line somewhere. I was hoping to find that here, but my DM box is empty. Even weeks before I stripped the bike down, I got several super low offers elsewhere – $900 low. At that price, sure, I would have profited $600, had to look for a beat up bike and source parts for the build in far worse condition.
2) I think there is a major disparity in perception of what this bike will turn into. I'm building a track bike – you know, to be ridden on a racetrack. Not a cafe racer, not a bobber, not some godawful bondo from autozone creation. The bike is going to have to perform. Having an unabused engine and a frame that hasn't been dropped 20 times holds major appeal.
3) There is one more point about what I'm building. This bike due to be in the "Handbuilt Show" in Austin, TX in April. It boasts some of America's best bike builders at the moment. Starting with a clean canvas such as this bike also holds major appeal. No dents in the frame, no rusted hardware, clean and functioning electrical elements, etc – major appeal.
4) Furthermore, in using "so little" of the original bike, all of the body that is so "sought after" is available to anyone who may want it. Currently, all the pieces are on eBay with no watchers and no bids. Seems that the demand for these rare parts, as I found with the bike as a whole, isn't really there. I certainly understand the perceived value, but where the rubber hits the road, the dollars didn't show and I'm not a motorcycle museum curator. Fret not, the pieces are safe and will be available when the right owner comes along, offers a reasonable price and the prospect of a happy home.

I joined this forum to find help and resources when I will need it, to contribute a look into the process and journey that is building a nice motorcycle from the platform that you are all here for, and to offer what parts I can so that someone else from this community might also benefit from this project.

So without intending to sound like a dick, honestly, nobody put their money where their mouth was. Now it's time for me to put my money where mine is and build great bike. Let's keep this thread dedicated to that process. I promise it will be a treat. Thanks for your understanding in advance. Lots of photos on the way.

Chris

Old November 14th, 2016, 08:39 AM   #23
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Realistically, it's not going to be worth 4 to 5K. 2k to 2.5 would be a realistic number. Might take a little while to sell it at that price, but that would certainly be a nice profit for you.

Track bike or serious show bike? Pretty hard to be both.

As others have noted, this gen doesn't have many spares or track parts available.

This bike was more than just a sum of its parts.

Not to be a dick, but lots of us here are disappointed to see that bike in that condition get disassembled and sold off in pieces for whatever reason.

Carry on...

Old November 14th, 2016, 10:59 AM   #24
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
It's your bike... Have at it... Some of these folks gonna keep crying till the world explodes anyway.

Notice I said no names so it wasn't a personal attack

Old November 14th, 2016, 12:23 PM   #25
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Ya, I guess I'm done crying, whining, swearing, stomping my feet, and holding my breath...

Maybe not what you expected when you said - "I welcome any help, comments, critiques. "

It's just hard to see it go, but it's yours, so have at it.

Old November 14th, 2016, 04:45 PM   #26
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Chris, I understand where your coming from. I've got a 73 Challenger that I tried to sell a few years ago...same thing, if they couldn't get it for a song they just moved on. So I've been driving it as a everyday driver this summer after sitting since 2001, and what a blast, everyone is amazed to see it being driven to work daily, even grade school kids give me thumbs up. Today I went to get the grand daughter after school and a 5th or 6th grader jumped out of his mom's car to ask me if I'd give him a ride in it. Gave him a ride around the block and made his day...and mine! It's your bike do with it what you will and have a blast! It's only a machine after all, let it bring you and those around you pleasure.

Old November 20th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #27
Petrolh34d
ninjette.org member

Name: Kamil

Motorcycle(s): 2004 ninja ex250, 1996 Honda cbr900rr

Man, 8 really like that white/red combo
Petrolh34d is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2017, 07:39 PM   #28
Kerker
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): Many

I would have given 2K for this bike.
Kerker is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 20th, 2021, 12:53 AM   #29
Thatone87
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jordon

Motorcycle(s): 87 ex250, half of a 02 ex250, Aprilia tuono 1000r roller, cbr600rr, Fazer, Maxim

I know it's been a few years since this thread was updated how'd the bike come out?
Thatone87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2022, 01:49 PM   #30
Dusty_Bottoms
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): klr650, tw200, gl1500, ex250

progress?

I'm curious too. Also curious if all that plastic is still for sale.
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote