ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 13th, 2021, 03:31 AM   #1
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Name: Leo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Ninja 250r mechanical checklist

Hi everyone,

I am preparing to fab suspension components for the lift, but I thought while I do so I should make sure the Outback Ninja will be ready mechanically.

The only problem I can find so far with the bike's performance is that it bogs and can even cut out when giving gas from idle. Has anyone experienced this? I am not too sure whether to be worried about it or not. Otherwise, bike seems to run fine. Although I have never ridden one before!

Does anyone know any common things to look out for during the service?

I will be changing all the fluids excluding the front brake fluid, and oiling the chain + wheel bearings. Should I do anything extra??

I will post an update on the suspension fabbing.

Old October 13th, 2021, 05:55 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Your carbs are undoubtedly dirty if you can't give it hard throttle from idle. The idle and low speed circuits are easy to clog and difficult to get truly clean.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2021, 01:55 AM   #3
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Your carbs are undoubtedly dirty if you can't give it hard throttle from idle. The idle and low speed circuits are easy to clog and difficult to get truly clean.
Damn okay thats no good. I will try to clean them. Thanks for that!

Old October 14th, 2021, 07:27 AM   #4
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Carbs are the obvious thing to check, and that's part of your routine maintenance honestly. On any carb'd bike, 99% of the time the problem is the carbs
Is there any particular reason you are not flushing front brake fluid? That's one of the top fluids I flush on a bike: oil, coolant, front brake fluid, rear. There's not much to it and it improves performance immensely.
Checking wheel bearings is a good idea. Chain maintenance is key as well, so that's good.
If you have a voltmeter, it's good to make sure you have a healthy charging system. I run a cheap voltmeter gauge on both of my bikes just so I'm not surprised when the system does eventually fail. Getting stranded with a dead battery sucks. Look for 14-15 volts at the battery at idle and at 5k rpm.

Old October 14th, 2021, 08:03 AM   #5
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrewski86 View Post
Carbs are the obvious thing to check, and that's part of your routine maintenance honestly. On any carb'd bike, 99% of the time the problem is the carbs
Is there any particular reason you are not flushing front brake fluid? That's one of the top fluids I flush on a bike: oil, coolant, front brake fluid, rear. There's not much to it and it improves performance immensely.
Checking wheel bearings is a good idea. Chain maintenance is key as well, so that's good.
If you have a voltmeter, it's good to make sure you have a healthy charging system. I run a cheap voltmeter gauge on both of my bikes just so I'm not surprised when the system does eventually fail. Getting stranded with a dead battery sucks. Look for 14-15 volts at the battery at idle and at 5k rpm.
Ok that's great to know, thanks! I guess just because I am lazy and I won't be using the front brakes too much on the low friction terrain, plus the rear fluid seemed good.

Ok that might be a good idea. I could die within 8 hours from heat exhaustion out there so I really need to stay within a safe distance or have a very reliable bike. Is the system likely to fail???

Old October 14th, 2021, 08:33 AM   #6
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

From my personal experience, yes, charging systems will eventually fail. Your best bet is to check its performance now and monitor it moving forward. Here is the basic setup I have for a cheap volt gauge:

Run a simple two-wire cigarette lighter cable from the battery up to your dash

Stick a cheapo voltmeter ($5-10 on ebay) in there and you're good. Just pop it in when you go for a ride and you have peace of mind knowing that the system works. Of course, when you're not riding I would toss it in your bag. It doesn't draw much, but I never leave mine plugged in.

Old October 14th, 2021, 10:42 AM   #7
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Name: Honorio

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250

Sprockets

Make sure to look at your sprockets and look for any abnormalities

Old October 14th, 2021, 11:05 AM   #8
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
permanently mounted, small LED voltmeter on my 900SS. All I need to know....GREEN is GO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg voltages.jpg (65.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg sdvoltmonduc.jpg (104.4 KB, 3 views)
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2021, 11:12 AM   #9
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
That port also makes plugging in trickle-charger for maintenance easy!

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2021, 11:32 AM   #10
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
That port also makes plugging in trickle-charger for maintenance easy!
Yeah, or charging anything else like a phone. I don't ride with tech so that's useless to me, but it's nice when other people have to borrow my bike. They always wanna charge cell phones, cameras and whatnot.
Here is the one I installed on my SV. It's cleaner and not hardwired to the battery. Plus it has two USB jacks so you can charge stuff.

Old October 14th, 2021, 10:51 PM   #11
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

take twice the water you think you will need and you'll probably run low !
Hot places take their toll on man and machine....
1000 miles on gravel roads is not unheard of in the outback, and one snake can end it all.... be careful !
..... what tires do you have on the bike ? are they puncture proof ? (lots of green slime ?)
because you'll need'em ! there are 3" thorns out there ...hit a bush at 35~40 mph and you are looking like you tangled with a giant porcupine !
.... deserts are not nice on bikes, especially if their ridden hard,
take every tool you think you'll need and at least 3 days of food ...
and a gps Emergency button ... it just might save your life.
why you would want to take a Ninja into the outback is beyond me ,but Hay to each their own ! !.... (that ninja ain't going to like soft soil at ALL...)
....i would think ANY bike would be better than a ninja in the outback !
Bob.......

Old October 14th, 2021, 11:29 PM   #12
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
From my personal experience, yes, charging systems will eventually fail. Your best bet is to check its performance now and monitor it moving forward. Here is the basic setup I have for a cheap volt gauge:

Run a simple two-wire cigarette lighter cable from the battery up to your dash

Stick a cheapo voltmeter ($5-10 on ebay) in there and you're good. Just pop it in when you go for a ride and you have peace of mind knowing that the system works. Of course, when you're not riding I would toss it in your bag. It doesn't draw much, but I never leave mine plugged in.
Ok thanks will definitely do so. What is it exactly that fails? Is it a component of the alternator?

Old October 14th, 2021, 11:30 PM   #13
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVapes View Post
Make sure to look at your sprockets and look for any abnormalities
Yes agreed and I will need to keep an eye on them in the sand for sure, that is a great pointI hadn't considered thanks!

Old October 14th, 2021, 11:31 PM   #14
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
permanently mounted, small LED voltmeter on my 900SS. All I need to know....GREEN is GO.
Is this installed the same way as above??

Old October 14th, 2021, 11:38 PM   #15
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
take twice the water you think you will need and you'll probably run low !
Hot places take their toll on man and machine....
1000 miles on gravel roads is not unheard of in the outback, and one snake can end it all.... be careful !
..... what tires do you have on the bike ? are they puncture proof ? (lots of green slime ?)
because you'll need'em ! there are 3" thorns out there ...hit a bush at 35~40 mph and you are looking like you tangled with a giant porcupine !
.... deserts are not nice on bikes, especially if their ridden hard,
take every tool you think you'll need and at least 3 days of food ...
and a gps Emergency button ... it just might save your life.
why you would want to take a Ninja into the outback is beyond me ,but Hay to each their own ! !.... (that ninja ain't going to like soft soil at ALL...)
....i would think ANY bike would be better than a ninja in the outback !
Bob.......
100%. It is not the safest place but I have spent lots of time "out bush" as we like to say. So I am confident I will be fine for the distance from my van I will be traveling.

I am running these rear and these front. I think they should be helpful. Constering a DIY paddle rear for beach rips to surf spots.

Australian second hand bike prices are through the roof let alone for any off-road capable bike. Plus I like tinkering .

Old October 15th, 2021, 06:26 AM   #16
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

In my experience, when one component fails it taxes the others. A weak battery can wreak havoc on your regulator/rectifier and your stator. Regulators have a life of their own though, and when they start to go out they can have an impact on your stator as well. Most bikes I've had this problem with, I wind up doing stator, r/r and battery all at the same time. It had been a few years since I had to do this on any of my bikes, but I am wrapping it up on my recently acquired 250.

Old October 15th, 2021, 06:36 AM   #17
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Lupo View Post
Is this installed the same way as above??
no, more permanent and focused

Old October 15th, 2021, 09:59 AM   #18
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
In my experience, when one component fails it taxes the others. A weak battery can wreak havoc on your regulator/rectifier and your stator. Regulators have a life of their own though, and when they start to go out they can have an impact on your stator as well. Most bikes I've had this problem with, I wind up doing stator, r/r and battery all at the same time. It had been a few years since I had to do this on any of my bikes, but I am wrapping it up on my recently acquired 250.
Ok yes that makes a lot of sense thank you

Old October 15th, 2021, 10:00 AM   #19
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
no, more permanent and focused
Okay, will have to make a decision on which I go with!

Old October 18th, 2021, 09:31 AM   #20
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

in all My years of bikes I have had to replace only one stator but several rectifier/regulators.... back before most of you were even born the thing that burned out was the selenium rectifier.... it simply rectified the AC voltage coming from the alternator and made it into DC.... now days it's a combo of a selenium rectifier and a voltage regulator, which is good because getting 15 volts out of the old bikes was not unheard of.... (you just turned on the head light and kept going,... if you knew you were going to be running near top RPM's ! LOL
Component failure can and will take out the entire charging system not alwayse but it certanly can... My 700cc shadow did that to me because of a short which fried the regulator and altenator and the battery , I parked it and left it for almost a week and when I got back to it it was dead as a door nail ... the battery was still hot...but the damage was already done ! half the wireing harnis was burned up too ! .... it made me sick ! and much poorer too ! at a time when I had neither the money or the time to fix it....
it was over 300 bucks to fix it right at that time and that was half the bikes value at the time, but I fixed it anyway ! ....
it was a really nice reliable bike.... until one night riding home i am cooking along on a back road I knew by heart and the headlight goes out ! no high beam no low beam... no dash lights,no tail light but it's still running...
i was in the middle of a corner when it happened and I got on both brakes as hard as I daired and still wound up in the ditch..... which was good.. because the other side was a 150ft sheer drop to the creek below....
i turned it off and as I did so the lights flashed... so I played with the switch and they came back on ... I road home slower and it did it again...
this time I wiggled the key and the lights came back again.... I pulled the key switch and the bottom of the key switch fell off in my hand.... and it's spring... I cleaned the contacts lubed it and put it back together and never had a problem with it again, but I've often wondered if that earlier electrical problem had anything to do with the key switch falling apart or not HAHAHAHA

later !
Bob......

Old October 18th, 2021, 12:07 PM   #21
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
...now days it's a combo of a selenium rectifier and a voltage regulator...

Selenium rectifier diodes haven't been used for over 50 years! They were horribly inefficient, leaky, and prone to failure. I still have a few in a box just to show people what to avoid. They were replaced by silicon diodes.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2021, 12:55 PM   #22
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Strongly suggest a a permanent voltmeter which offers instant notification on presence/rate of charging, whether over, under or none

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 20th, 2021, 07:45 AM   #23
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
in all My years of bikes I have had to replace only one stator but several rectifier/regulators.... back before most of you were even born the thing that burned out was the selenium rectifier.... it simply rectified the AC voltage coming from the alternator and made it into DC.... now days it's a combo of a selenium rectifier and a voltage regulator, which is good because getting 15 volts out of the old bikes was not unheard of.... (you just turned on the head light and kept going,... if you knew you were going to be running near top RPM's ! LOL
Component failure can and will take out the entire charging system not alwayse but it certanly can... My 700cc shadow did that to me because of a short which fried the regulator and altenator and the battery , I parked it and left it for almost a week and when I got back to it it was dead as a door nail ... the battery was still hot...but the damage was already done ! half the wireing harnis was burned up too ! .... it made me sick ! and much poorer too ! at a time when I had neither the money or the time to fix it....
it was over 300 bucks to fix it right at that time and that was half the bikes value at the time, but I fixed it anyway ! ....
it was a really nice reliable bike.... until one night riding home i am cooking along on a back road I knew by heart and the headlight goes out ! no high beam no low beam... no dash lights,no tail light but it's still running...
i was in the middle of a corner when it happened and I got on both brakes as hard as I daired and still wound up in the ditch..... which was good.. because the other side was a 150ft sheer drop to the creek below....
i turned it off and as I did so the lights flashed... so I played with the switch and they came back on ... I road home slower and it did it again...
this time I wiggled the key and the lights came back again.... I pulled the key switch and the bottom of the key switch fell off in my hand.... and it's spring... I cleaned the contacts lubed it and put it back together and never had a problem with it again, but I've often wondered if that earlier electrical problem had anything to do with the key switch falling apart or not HAHAHAHA

later !
Bob......
Thats crazy! Hopefully I dont fry anything...

Old October 20th, 2021, 07:46 AM   #24
Leonardo Lupo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Strongly suggest a a permanent voltmeter which offers instant notification on presence/rate of charging, whether over, under or none
Will look into that. Gives even more warning...

Old October 20th, 2021, 10:45 AM   #25
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo Lupo View Post
Will look into that. Gives even more warning...
bingo