ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:24 AM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Washing my helmet

So.... after 2 years of using my helmet, 365 days a year. including the CA summer, I decided to wash the inside of my helmet (Arai). I got the covers off and they are currently drying.... but what would be really nice, is if I could clean up the foam cheak-pads... they are suffering from neglect. The manual says to wash the covers, but doesn't say you can't wash the foam specifically.... anyone know if this can be done safely?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:45 AM   #2
kkim

are the cheek pads removable? covers?? what covers? I don't own an Arai so I don't know how they are constructed.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:22 AM   #3
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
are the cheek pads removable? covers?? what covers? I don't own an Arai so I don't know how they are constructed.
Yes, sorry I wasn't more specific. The check pads pop out, and the covers come off.... the manual outlines cleaning those covers. I presume they don't want you to wash the pads, because they don't mention that..... but it isn't included in one of the warnings... I mean it is only foam.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:51 AM   #4
kkim

What I do with the helmet liners that come off my helmets (covers stay on the foam), is I throw them in the washing machine.

I put the helmet liner pieces in a mesh undergarment bag.... the kind that closes with a zipper, then throw it in the washer on delicate cycle with a normal amount of detergent. After the wash cycle is over, remove pieces from the bag and air dry before using. I usually park the pieces in front of a window that has a nice breeze blowing. After they are dry, pop them back in the helmet.

Nice clean helmet pieces through and through. Can you imagine how much sweat has soaked into those foam pieces over time?

Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:59 AM   #5
skiba
ninjette.org member

Name: Antonio

Motorcycle(s): Lime 250R

Quote:
I put the helmet liner pieces in a mesh undergarment bag.... the kind that closes with a zipper, then throw it in the washer on delicate cycle with a normal amount of detergent. After the wash cycle is over, remove pieces from the bag and air dry before using. I usually park the pieces in front of a window that has a nice breeze blowing. After they are dry, pop them back in the helmet.
+1

Old June 3rd, 2010, 02:17 AM   #6
headshrink

WilCo, thanks!

Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:05 AM   #7
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Metallic Island Blue)

Quote:
What I do with the helmet liners that come off my helmets (covers stay on the foam), is I throw them in the washing machine.

Nice clean helmet pieces through and through. Can you imagine how much sweat has soaked into those foam pieces over time?
+1, but I use a pillow case a tie off the open end. Works great.

Another thing I have used is the dish washer, throw the whole helmet in and let it do it's thing. (If your liner and cheek pads aren't removeable)

Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:28 AM   #8
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabogon View Post

Another thing I have used is the dish washer, throw the whole helmet in and let it do it's thing. (If your liner and cheek pads aren't removeable)
I wouldnt recommend doing that....the high temp drying session in a dishwasher is definitely not good for the styrofoam liner of a helmet.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:35 AM   #9
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

It's a good idea to wash out the pads in the helmet after a while, especially if they're a little grungy, as the sweat causes deterioration of the foam that's supposed to protect your head.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:55 AM   #10
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
I wouldnt recommend doing that....the high temp drying session in a dishwasher is definitely not good for the styrofoam liner of a helmet.
Sorry to not specify, you wash it in the dishwasher, not dry it. Just run it without the drying turned on. Never had an issue when I did it.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:52 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My GMAX helmet's pads all have a strange fuzzy layer after washing them that reminds me of the water-swept scum in a fast-flowing creek. *shrug* At least it's clean.

Quote:
Sorry to not specify, you wash it in the dishwasher, not dry it. Just run it without the drying turned on. Never had an issue when I did it.
A lot of dishwashers don't let you do that and a lot more still get the water almost boiling hot.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:02 AM   #12
tabogon
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
A lot of dishwashers don't let you do that and a lot more still get the water almost boiling hot.

I did not know that, mine has the ablility to wash in cold water if I choose to. Good info to know when I get a new one.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:07 AM   #13
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:

Kelly - I assume you bought the mesh undergarment bag specifically for washing your helmet parts. Also I assume the bag is mesh, not the undergarments.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:46 AM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
I did not know that, mine has the ablility to wash in cold water if I choose to. Good info to know when I get a new one.
Admittedly, I do have a VERY cheap dish washer!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:03 AM   #15
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Kelly - I assume you bought the mesh undergarment bag specifically for washing your helmet parts. Also I assume the bag is mesh, not the undergarments.
hmmm, Kelly's undergarments. Back to helmets.

Be careful when you dry your helmet in the dryer, that hard shell really creates a hell of a racket when it is in the dryer and puts some massive dents in the drum. Don't ask how I know.

I also just take out the liner, (I have a Scorpion EXO 400) throw them in the washer and then air dry them.

nb

Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:16 AM   #16
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
shhhh.... um, a little of both, I guess.

if I need to wash a helmet with a non removable liner, I've filled a 5 gallon bucket with washing detergent and dumped the entire helmet into the soapy solution. I squeezed the solution into the fabric until I felt the liner was clean. Remove soap solution and fill bucket with clean water and rinse helmet in it until very little soapy solution remains in the liner. Repeat the rinse cycle if needed as detergent left in the foam may not be the best thing for the life of the foam.

Press out as much water as you can from the liner with a dry towel, then set the helmet near a fan of some sort to keep air circulating through the helmet. I was fortunate to have an industrial sized air conditioning condenser unit/heat exchanger for our building at work which was perfect to blow air onto the helmet. 8 hours later, the helmet was clean and dry.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:33 PM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I've read online (never tried myself) that some people take the helmet into the shower, shampoo their hair, and then put the helmet on over the shampoo. Move it around as much is possible with the helmet on, then take it off, wash it out lightly with water, and let it airdry. My helmets have had removable liners so I didn't have to resort to this as of yet.

I've also found it makes a big difference if the helmet is left with the visor completely open once you set it back down in the garage (or wherever). If you want it to get gross quickly, keep it closed up and somewhat sealed after a long hot ride. Things tend to get unpleasant much sooner.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:18 PM   #18
headshrink

I always leave the visor open.... and in spite of all the nastiness, it has probably been the think that keeps it not actually smelling nasty.

I ended up washing the liners in a bowl by hand with luke-warm H2O and baby shampoo... first time yielded a nasty blackish water, then more blue (probably mostly die at that point). I gently pressed out as much water as I could and let it air dry. I then decided to go all the way by throwing the cheek pads in themselves, using the same technique. I am very glad I did because it really helped to renew the foam. Had I done it last year, it would likely been practically in new condition, but it is still pretty good now.

Now getting the covers back on the cheek pads were another issue.... those are complicated shapes. I had to go to the Arai www, d/l the manual, and look up how to put them back on..... but it is all good now.

Oh yeah, I also used the silicone lube they include with the helmets to refresh the gasket behind the visor.... I hadn't noticed how dry it was getting until I did this.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:20 PM   #19
kkim

lol... how's it feel to have a clean, fresh smelling helmet again?

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:22 PM   #20
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

You all are a bunch of wussies. I just go to the car wash and shove the spray nozzle into my helmet and pull the trigger. I'm so pro I don't even take the helmet off.

That is the way you clean a helmet!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:26 PM   #21
headshrink

kkim - Feels great It was still a little wet inside the cheek pads on my way to work today, but it was a heck of a lot nicer knowing it was only clean water.

Apex - I am a little apprehensive, OK really afraid, of jet nozzles after the pressure washer incident.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:27 PM   #22
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
You all are a bunch of wussies. I just go to the car wash and shove the spray nozzle into my helmet and pull the trigger. I'm so pro I don't even take the helmet off.

That is the way you clean a helmet!
whoa... whoa, there big fella!! put down that zx-10 cocktail you've been swilling lately and step away from the bar, please.

Old June 4th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #23
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
whoa... whoa, there big fella!! put down that zx-10 cocktail you've been swilling lately and step away from the bar, please.

LOL

Sometimes a co-worker of mine and I will talk about being "pro", or doing it "man style". It is us just goofing around to make each other laugh. When I was training for my BP MS150 ride, he told me that my training was useless. He said, "If you really wanted to train, you'd put that front tire against a wall and try to push the wall. That would be man-style".

Just stupid stuff, but it can get pretty funny.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2010, 10:24 AM   #24
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
So.... after 2 years of using my helmet, 365 days a year. including the CA summer, I decided to wash the inside of my helmet
Two years?

I found that all the liner padding unsnaps or unclips from the inside of my helmet, and I just throw the pieces in with my regular laundry, then dry on low heat. No problems at all.

Old June 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #25
headshrink

It actually wasn't bad at all.... I was very surprised.

Old June 4th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #26
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
Be careful when you dry your helmet in the dryer, that hard shell really creates a hell of a racket when it is in the dryer and puts some massive dents in the drum.
Besides, the cat doesn't like it and she makes even more noise than usual.

What, you're telling me you don't dry your cat in the clothes dryer?
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM   #27
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Besides, the cat doesn't like it and she makes even more noise than usual.

What, you're telling me you don't dry your cat in the clothes dryer?

Old June 5th, 2010, 03:19 PM   #28
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

2 years!!!

I washed my helmet after one month! LOL! But I do sweat very easily anyway and I want to make sure the helmet stays in good condition. Plus, it was already starting to get funky, despite me leaving the shield up and letting it air out.

So I cleaned it by filling it up like a fish bowl and scrubbing the non-removable inner liner until I was satisfied it was clean. I also cleaned the cheek pads. I used a mild shampoo and water only. I put a towel in the helmet to soak some water up and then I let it sit in front of a fan for about a day. Smelled much better and dare I say it even felt better.

I figure I'll wash it whenever it gets funky. I did purchase an A*s beanie cap yesterday to hopefully help reduce the amount of sweat transferred directly to the liner. I haven't used it yet, but I'll let you know how it goes.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #29
vietboiz12345
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 250r blue :D Cbr600rr Phoenix

i just cleaned a used helmet that i bought with the same spray that you use to clean the neck part of dress shirts.
i sprayed it into the inner lining after removing the inside of the helmet.
scrub it down with at tooth brush, then i let it sun dry.
its awesome, now it smells super fresh
it was an icon helmet.