ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 30th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #1
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
your opinion on current 2012 250 msrp

As topic states

what do you think 2012 ninja 250 should be going for at the dealership OTD?

My friend is looking into getting a 250 and used ones sell for, or at least are listed in the 2k - 3k range, I have seen new ones at dealers listed as low as $3600, figure they will come down a little.
Figure the ninja 300 OTD would be tough to get under $4500 right now around here. If wait till Nov. then maybe but not right now.

This all being said a few more questions, yes his first bike, little to no riding experience (he will most likely drop it at low speed at least once in first few weeks)
Which is a better option, used bike with unknowns or spend an extra 1K for a new left over if price is right?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 09:27 AM   #2
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Used bike, 100%.

If you do your due diligence before purchasing a used bike, that will eliminate most of the "unknowns". Looking up the VIN number, doing a thorough inspection of the bike, and giving it a solid test ride should all help you determine if a bike is in as good of shape as a seller claims. I would never suggest someone (with no prior riding experience) go new for their first bike. Around these parts, there are always pre-gen 250s on Craigslist between $1800-$2500 and new-gens for $3000-3500. All with relatively low mileage. I'm sure you can find them cheaper in PA
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #3
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

I say used, and buy whatever is available that fits in his budget. Old gen, new gen, whatever. A 2012 bike will not offer him any better learning-experience than an 08 or 06 or 01. Just my $0.02

However, I still don't understand the mentality of "he will most likely drop it at low speed at least once in first few weeks".

Old August 30th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
As topic states

what do you think 2012 ninja 250 should be going for at the dealership OTD?

My friend is looking into getting a 250 and used ones sell for, or at least are listed in the 2k - 3k range, I have seen new ones at dealers listed as low as $3600, figure they will come down a little.
Figure the ninja 300 OTD would be tough to get under $4500 right now around here. If wait till Nov. then maybe but not right now.

This all being said a few more questions, yes his first bike, little to no riding experience (he will most likely drop it at low speed at least once in first few weeks)
Which is a better option, used bike with unknowns or spend an extra 1K for a new left over if price is right?
I will sell him mine!.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
I say used, and buy whatever is available that fits in his budget. Old gen, new gen, whatever. A 2012 bike will not offer him any better learning-experience than an 08 or 06 or 01. Just my $0.02

However, I still don't understand the mentality of "he will most likely drop it at low speed at least once in first few weeks".
.... guess you need to know the guy

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old August 30th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #6
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

That's a hard one. The newgens are over priced for what they are. I'm not going to predict that the 300 will make the bottom fall out on prices for the 250. But as you saw they still command quite a bit of money.

I'd be concerned what this person wants to get out of riding. Is the 250 going to be a moderate term stepping stone? By a cheaper used new gen. Especially if you think the guy is gonna drop it. But I'll be the first person to admit. Buying a nice one was a mistake. The love hate relationship I have with my 250 is ridiculous. If someone offers me 3k it'd be gone the same day.

At the same time having a nice bike is nice. I get compliments on simply how clean mine is from experienced riders all the time. Going into the garage to got on some pos is dis heartening. No one wants to ride, "that thing again..."
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Yeah I am thinking used is definitely the way to go right now on the 250's. Some can be had for a good price with little to no real miles on them.

I see lots of 09-12's with less than 7k on them. I got my 12 last Oct. and have over 7k on it, but I still think it is a new bike.