ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 15th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #1
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ninja ex250

problem with carburetor maybe?

hey guys i have been having some problems with my 2001 ninja ex250 and i hope you can help.. so it started with me filling up the gas and i then brought it home and did not turn off the peacock and i come out the next morning and about half the tank had leaked on to the ground so i took the carburetors off and cleaned them then put them back on and i started it and it came out the overflow on them so i talked to a buddy and he said it could be the float valves so i changed them and put a new gasket in them. then i started it and it ran fine so i drove it all day and at the end of the day it started acting really funny and now its bad my high range is good and my low is ok and my mid range is really bad it almost sounds like its being flooded and there is vary little power but when i give it more its like its catching up. so i have no idea i hope someone can help.

thanks guys.
alex.bowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
check petcock valving?

Old March 15th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #3
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
check petcock valving?
yes i did and thats all good

Old March 15th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.bowles View Post
hey guys i have been having some problems with my 2001 ninja ex250 and i hope you can help.. so it started with me filling up the gas and i then brought it home and did not turn off the peacock and i come out the next morning and about half the tank had leaked on to the ground so i took the carburetors off and cleaned them then put them back on and i started it and it came out the overflow on them so i talked to a buddy and he said it could be the float valves so i changed them and put a new gasket in them. then i started it and it ran fine so i drove it all day and at the end of the day it started acting really funny and now its bad my high range is good and my low is ok and my mid range is really bad it almost sounds like its being flooded and there is vary little power but when i give it more its like its catching up. so i have no idea i hope someone can help.

thanks guys.
Quote:
check petcock valving?
these two type exactly like eachother and have such similar names yet claim to be different people?

"A" already tried this trick, can't you come up with something better alex?

and cmon, .bowles? obvious reference.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Different people, no conspiracy here. We've got some pretty neat behind-the-scenes tools to pick up, well, tools.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I think alex.s is smart enough to fake his IP, afterall, he posts a lot of videos about robots
AFM #676

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

**way** past simple IP comparisons, you'll just have to trust me.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
AFM #676

Old March 16th, 2013, 12:05 AM   #9
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Your petcock could be leaking. you shouldn't have to turn it off at the end of the day because it only flows gas when a vacuum is applied. Well, when it works properly that is.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #10
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

so i know its not that i have 3 of them. it has to do with the carb. oh and i fixed the leaking it just running bad as i said

Old March 16th, 2013, 03:57 AM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to the site, Alex !!!

Quote:
............now its bad my high range is good and my low is ok and my mid range is really bad it almost sounds like its being flooded and there is vary little power but when i give it more its like its catching up...........
When you replace the valves that the floats push up, you should verify the proper level of fuel inside the bowls.

Also, one or both of the diaphragms and/or needles may not be working properly for some reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel height.jpg (33.1 KB, 119 views)
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #12
conrya5
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Metalic Island Blue Ninja 250r

Quote:
When you replace the valves that the floats push up, you should verify the proper level of fuel inside the bowls.

Also, one or both of the diaphragms and/or needles may not be working properly for some reason.
Correct me if I am wrong, to measure the fuel levels you can simply use 1/4" OD clear tube.
conrya5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 07:22 AM   #13
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
....the next morning and about half the tank had leaked on to the ground
With that much gas on the ground, it is possible for some to leak past the piston rings.

Did you check your oil level/condition?
How is your air filter?
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #14
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
With that much gas on the ground, it is possible for some to leak past the piston rings.

Did you check your oil level/condition?
How is your air filter?
yes i did gas did get in to the air box and so from there it went down in to the crank case. so i just had to change the oil

Old March 16th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #15
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome to the site, Alex !!!

ok so i just stick a tube on there and see how far it go's?

oh and thanks

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #16
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

why would it run so well at the beginning and now bad could i have gotten something in the carb like maybe dirt?

Old March 16th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #17
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

Okay just checked it today there's no leaking at all but the throttle response is horrible and then it goes normal when I get high rpm

Old March 16th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
yes i did and thats all good
you said it leaked a puddle on the ground. i dont know if the pregen petcock is also vacuum opened but on the newgen, you need vacuum (ie- running engine) for the the petcock to let extra fuel out. so if it leaked a bunch of fuel out wouldn't that mean that the petcock isn't all good? if the petcock is just an open drain line now, and the floats aren't 100%, it would make sense that the carbs would get flooded and it would be all rich and boggy and leak gas everywhere.

Old March 16th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I think alex.s is smart enough to fake his IP, afterall, he posts a lot of videos about robots
you dont need to fake anything when you can just use the real thing. trying to fake things is a mistake a lot of noobs make.

Old March 16th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #20
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

Quote:
you said it leaked a puddle on the ground. i dont know if the pregen petcock is also vacuum opened but on the newgen, you need vacuum (ie- running engine) for the the petcock to let extra fuel out. so if it leaked a bunch of fuel out wouldn't that mean that the petcock isn't all good? if the petcock is just an open drain line now, and the floats aren't 100%, it would make sense that the carbs would get flooded and it would be all rich and boggy and leak gas everywhere.
so how would i test that?

Old March 16th, 2013, 10:53 PM   #21
zedzedR
ninjette.org member

Name: Ibrahim

Motorcycle(s): '01 ZZR 250

Make sure the carb butterfly is properly adjusted
zedzedR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #22
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
so how would i test that?
disconnect the tank from the carb... does it leak a bunch of gas out the tube? it shouldn't.

Old March 17th, 2013, 06:33 AM   #23
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Just like Alex.s said, your petcock is bad.

If you ever get gas coming through it when the bike is off, then its bad. The fact that you have a puddle of gas on the floor proves that its bad.

Also, you should never turn your petcock OFF after riding. If it doesn't cut off automatically, then its bad. OFF is there so that people can drain the carbs for the winter by riding it out. People with newgens don't have an OFF and must drain their carbs manually when winterizing.

To test, turn off bike and remove both hoses. Make sure petcock is ON or RES. No gas should come out.

Then put a small length of fish tank or other tubing onto the small port and suck on it. Gas should come out of the big port but not the little one. If you get gas from the little one, or no gas comes out, then the petcock is bad.

Also, you will need to change the oil because it now has gas in it. It you run it like that, you will burn out your bearings and need a new engine.

Old March 17th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #24
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Just like Alex.s said, your petcock is bad.

If you ever get gas coming through it when the bike is off, then its bad. The fact that you have a puddle of gas on the floor proves that its bad.

Also, you should never turn your petcock OFF after riding. If it doesn't cut off automatically, then its bad. OFF is there so that people can drain the carbs for the winter by riding it out. People with newgens don't have an OFF and must drain their carbs manually when winterizing.

To test, turn off bike and remove both hoses. Make sure petcock is ON or RES. No gas should come out.

Then put a small length of fish tank or other tubing onto the small port and suck on it. Gas should come out of the big port but not the little one. If you get gas from the little one, or no gas comes out, then the petcock is bad.

Ok man I will check that. Could that also make it feel like its not getting gas

Also, you will need to change the oil because it now has gas in it. It you run it like that, you will burn out your bearings and need a new engine.

Old March 17th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #25
n4mwd

If there is gas coming through the little hose, it will flood the engine and cause it to run badly. It might feel like its not getting enough gas.

When you disconnect the little hose, you should see NO gas, not even a drop in the little hose.

More than likely, your diaphragm is bad. Make sure you order the 88-07 kit or diaphragm. The 86-87 kits and the 08+ kits will not fit.

Old March 17th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #26
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If there is gas coming through the little hose, it will flood the engine and cause it to run badly. It might feel like its not getting enough gas.

When you disconnect the little hose, you should see NO gas, not even a drop in the little hose.

More than likely, your diaphragm is bad. Make sure you order the 88-07 kit or diaphragm. The 86-87 kits and the 08+ kits will not fit.
How can you tell if the diaphragm is bad

Old March 17th, 2013, 01:01 PM   #27
n4mwd

Quote:
How can you tell if the diaphragm is bad
If gas comes out when its ON or RES and there is no vacuum applied to the small port. Or ANY gas comes out of the small port at all. If any of those is true, then the diaphragm is bad. Its about $20 at the dealer. If that doesn't fix it then the whole petcock could be messed up somehow.

The petcock knob and the diaphragm are two separate subsystems. The knob controls the flow to the diaphragm, and the diaphragm controls the flow to the carbs. Its very common to have a knob that works fine and a diaphragm that leaks.

So you could have the situation where OFF stops the fuel flow. But the ON still leaks.

Old March 18th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #28
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If gas comes out when its ON or RES and there is no vacuum applied to the small port. Or ANY gas comes out of the small port at all. If any of those is true, then the diaphragm is bad. Its about $20 at the dealer. If that doesn't fix it then the whole petcock could be messed up somehow.

The petcock knob and the diaphragm are two separate subsystems. The knob controls the flow to the diaphragm, and the diaphragm controls the flow to the carbs. Its very common to have a knob that works fine and a diaphragm that leaks.

So you could have the situation where OFF stops the fuel flow. But the ON still leaks.
Ok so I got a tube on the and sucked and nothing came out on the on and off and RES. What should I do?

Old March 18th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #29
n4mwd

Quote:
Ok so I got a tube on the and sucked and nothing came out on the on and off and RES. What should I do?

Are you sure your tank isn't empty?

If there is fuel in there, you should be able to get gas out when sucking on the small port. At least out when on RES.

Old March 18th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #30
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '07

As a side note, I had an issue where I would leak a quarter of my gas on the floor through the "overflow" hose after fill up. The problem was that the little metal tube connecting to the inside of the fuel cap where fuel overspill goes was cracked/damaged resulting in the fuel to leak down to the level of the crack in this metal hose.

The metal hose is thin , runs right through the fuel to the beginning of the overflow hose and is liable to break if rusty or jarred hard enough like drops. The only way to fix it reliably was to replace the entire tank. This may be unrelated to your problem but figured this is good information.
quicklooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #31
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i think you connected the hoses wrong.

Old March 18th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #32
zedzedR
ninjette.org member

Name: Ibrahim

Motorcycle(s): '01 ZZR 250

Is the bike still leaking puddles on the ground? If it is only running rich and dribbling a few drops, make sure that your carbs are synchronized properly. You can either make a manometer to test it, or for a less accurate quick test, take your carbs out and ensure that both butterfly valves are at the same position.

Another simple fix could be that the drain bolt on your float bowl is not tightened enough.

Both of these things have happened to my bike before causing it to not run well at low rpm and to leak out some gas.
zedzedR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #33
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedzedR View Post
Is the bike still leaking puddles on the ground? If it is only running rich and dribbling a few drops, make sure that your carbs are synchronized properly. You can either make a manometer to test it, or for a less accurate quick test, take your carbs out and ensure that both butterfly valves are at the same position.

Another simple fix could be that the drain bolt on your float bowl is not tightened enough.

Both of these things have happened to my bike before causing it to not run well at low rpm and to leak out some gas.
There is no leaking gas anymore

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #34
n4mwd

Quote:
Then you really need to make it a priority to find out why it was leaking before. Could be the tank itself is punctured.

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #35
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Is there any gas left in the tank?

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #36
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Then you really need to make it a priority to find out why it was leaking before. Could be the tank itself is punctured.
I know why it was the gas valve

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #37
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklooker View Post
Is there any gas left in the tank?
Yes half tank

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #38
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yes half tank
Fill it up just a little bit. I suspect it's the same problem I had; a busted overflow tube inside the tank. If it immediately starts to leak after you fill it up a little bit I'll bet that's at least part of the issue if not the entire issue. Only put a little more in like maybe half a gallon (to minimize leaking hazardous fuel everywhere).

You shoulda seen my bike dumping a gallon of fuel everywhere I went after a fill up. It was embarrassing.

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #39
alex.bowles
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklooker View Post
Fill it up just a little bit. I suspect it's the same problem I had; a busted overflow tube inside the tank. If it immediately starts to leak after you fill it up a little bit I'll bet that's at least part of the issue if not the entire issue. Only put a little more in like maybe half a gallon (to minimize leaking hazardous fuel everywhere).

You shoulda seen my bike dumping a gallon of fuel everywhere I went after a fill up. It was embarrassing.
Just did it im seeing nothing

Old March 18th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #40
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Just did it im seeing nothing
*shrug*

So, in great detail , what did you do to fix it? It might be hard to figure out why it was leaking before if it's fixed now.