Notices

Old February 19th, 2018, 04:50 AM   #1
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
el cheapo gp pro superbike riding gloves

another bargain coming at ya. have you seen the price of top name brand gloves? yup, it's a eye opener. i picked these up and i'm amazed at the quality. as always free shipping too! matches the exploited ninja also,nice! the seller is iMotorcycle Store(ali express). they have a cool demo vid too.

Old February 19th, 2018, 05:48 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
"Adjustable velcro."

Handy. Hate that non-adjustable stuff.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2018, 06:14 AM   #3
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
they say goatskin leather. i do not know if that's true. they are not stiff and feel great. i usually were a med but got large and the fit was good. so they run a tad on small side.

Old February 19th, 2018, 06:57 AM   #4
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
nice🤘🏻

Old February 19th, 2018, 07:16 AM   #5
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Ive seen that symbol somewhere before.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2018, 07:18 AM   #6
cbinker
Track Clown

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
RS Tachi knockoffs.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2018, 08:36 AM   #7
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
whoa

Old February 19th, 2018, 08:41 AM   #8
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
i think el cheapo wins this comparison.

Old February 19th, 2018, 09:02 AM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
They look like they have good protection of the tops of the fingers. I look for that carefully after my last little crash on the kart track. I didn't get my hand out of the way in time, and the handlebar squashed my right index finger onto the track. It wore through the glove almost instantly, and took off all the skin between my first and second knuckles. It was a mess for a couple weeks.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2018, 09:06 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

I think that when it comes to protective gear, protection is the only thing that matters.

Turn those suckers inside out and examine the stitching and materials carefully.

Doesn't matter one tiny bit if it looks just like a Taichi glove on superficial inspection. If it shreds on impact, you've just saved $150 so you can spend thousands on medical bills.

Back in the day I worked for a regional sporting goods chain called Herman's World of Sporting Goods (think Sports Authority/Dick's). They had this skeezy practice where they'd contract with a name brand manufacturer (Rossignol skis, for example) to build exclusive products just for the store.

They'd do graphics packages and model names that were very similar to the top-of-the-line model from the genuine name brand, but the private-label products were invariably crap. They'd sell for far more than they were worth but far less than the real deal.

Worked like a charm. They sold piles of this junk to people who thought that because it looked like the premium product, it was as good as the premium product. Lots of returns and unhappy customers, but it was still more profitable in the end.

That chain sank like the Titanic BTW.

Lessons:
1) There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
2) Do not be deceived by appearances. "Looks just like" does not mean "built just like" or "performs just like."
3) Most importantly: Do not skimp on quality for stuff that matters. Anything that I buy to protect my body matters.

I should note there that a mere name brand does not automatically mean quality. Those skis were still Rossignols.... Compare the bottom-of-the-line A* to a budget brand and they're pretty darned close... maybe even made in the same Chinese factory. Quality costs. No way around that.

Old February 19th, 2018, 10:01 AM   #11
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
good advice

Old February 20th, 2018, 12:16 AM   #12
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
As someone who've done contract manufacturing having my own auto electronics made in New Zealand, then China, the difference in profit is huge! It's like Nike who tracks their cost of production down to the 1/10000th of a penny and sells it for 9900% mark-up. There's a large range of retail-pricing for products of similar productions costs and quality.

Some of my friends produce and install home-theatre equipment. It's not uncommon for them to clear $1-mil on a single installation. I can tell you with 100% certainty that you can buy the exact equipment for 1% of that cost without their laser-etch logos.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2018, 05:41 AM   #13
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

Yea I sold scientific equipment to folks who packaged petroleum products like motor oil and hydraulic fluids.

They used the equipment to determine if the product they were buying had the right additive packages.

The motor oil went into a big tank and then into 5 gallons, one gallon, and quart bottles with just about every oil company you could think of logo on the bottle. From Exxon to Walmarts.

Honda or Kawaski or Harley Davidson don't have oil refineries to produce the product they are selling you.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2018, 05:54 AM   #14
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
freaky. i hope my el cheapo threads help peeps on a budget. good info guys, keep it coming!

Old March 1st, 2018, 08:45 AM   #15
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

My favorite elcheepo glove is the red and black harbor freight glove. It has the name Hardy on it. I have used the same pair for over two years riding my motorcycles. In hot weather in cold weather and they have not ripped or worn out yet. They go on sale for $9.99.
They might not save you in a wreck, but they have served very well for daily riding. They have gotten dripping wet from sweat in Florida and have withstood many hose baths.

I have been looking for about a year for a nice pair of riding gloves to no avail. Just can't bring myself to drop $30-40 bucks on a pair of gloves that seem no better then the $10 dollar Harbor Freight.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2018, 09:11 AM   #16
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Racer View Post
They might not save you in a wreck....
Um.....

Isn't that kind of the point of wearing gloves in the first place?

Priorities, I guess.

Good luck out there.

$0.02: I'm a function-over-form guy, and the bias is always toward safety. That's why I wear full leathers all the time... because they work to protect me better than the alternative. Cost is entirely secondary (for more on this including real numbers, read this short blog entry: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?b=8384).

I'd buy the Harbor Freight glove argument IF the gloves offered protection and utility equal to or better than a quality pair of moto-specific gauntlet gloves (not shorties, not mesh... real-deal serious gloves that won't shred or explode the moment they hit the pavement). Fact is, they don't. My hands are too important to save a measly few bucks.

FWIW my street boots are a pair of cheap Bilt Trackstars (track boots are proper race boots, impractical on the street). I economized there because on close inspection, they weren't noticeably different from much more expensive equivalent name-brand boots.

Saving $$ is cool, but for me... save where it makes sense.

Ya pays yer money, ya makes yer choice.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 1st, 2018, 09:33 AM   #17
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
On gloves, I look at the thickness of leather in contact points and stitching. Some gloves have folded over hidden stitching which is nice. The material of thread used is important and I don't like the nylon thread used in gloves. I'll re-inforce it myself with kevlar thread.

The palms I think are most important as all my crashes have chewed up palms on gloves. I lament the neglect and movement away from palm protection. I used to buy gloves with metal studs on palms to lengthen slide time before penetration. Can't find those any more.

Note that all the above design elements doesn't change production costs very much. Kevlar thread's higher cost over nylon is minimal compared to total materials or cost in machinery and labour. Placing armour on palms cost no different than putting it on sides of fingers or over fingernails. You want to buy based upon construction variables and not use retail-pricing as measurement of protection.

It's similar to the Pentium-4. Consumers just didn't understand how CPUs work so the only metric they really understood was clock-speed (Mhz), higher is better right? Intel just stripped out the CPU to increase clock-speed as much as possible and sold a lot of P4s because it was higher-speed than P-III and therefore that must be better right? Unfortunately, in terms of real throughput, a P4 needs to be twice the clock-speed of P-III to do same work, especially in floating-point operations. But hey, higher-numbers mean better.

The Core architecture to replace P4 was based on older P-III. Able to do twice as much work at 1/2 the mhz (a 1.8ghz Core-Solo was faster than 3ghz P4). By this time, consumers were more sophisticated and was able to understand that there's more than just mhz involved.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2018, 11:29 AM   #18
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

Lessons:
1) There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
2) Do not be deceived by appearances. "Looks just like" does not mean "built just like" or "performs just like."
3) Most importantly: Do not skimp on quality for stuff that matters. Anything that I buy to protect my body matters.

Quality costs. No way around that.
Well I can’t disagree with any of your statements other than that last one, which is bogus. Quality costs some but rarely what we are charged for it. Some of those quality items with a nice brand name on them have 1000% profit built in at point of sale !!!! Which is just pure rip off. Many of the Chinese knockoffs at a fraction of the price come from the same factories ! Thieving gits the lot of them☹️
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote