Notices

Old August 7th, 2019, 05:20 AM   #1
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Track School

I've been thinking about riding motorcycles for over 60 years. Before I know it I'll be 86. I hear riding on the street is so dangerous I thought about going to the track to ride. There is a track close to my house that has a school once a year in October. It's the Team Hammer school. The track is pretty big so I'm wondering if riding a 750 in big enough or should a ride a 1000. Maybe I should just do both and see which I like better. Anyway, the school is only one day. I hope I learn a lot and have fun. I wanna go fast!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old August 7th, 2019, 07:23 PM   #2
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Personally, I would start with 250 on track.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2019, 04:11 PM   #3
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

H2R, or you might not have enough power.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 8th, 2019, 11:50 PM   #4
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

S1000RR GSXR 1000 and give it the beans

Steve

Old August 9th, 2019, 05:32 PM   #5
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
S1000RR GSXR 1000 and give it the beans

Steve
One son has a GSXR750 and the other has a GSXR1000. So you think the 1000 would be better! I not sure where you put the beans. Is there a filler cap or something for them?

Old August 9th, 2019, 11:40 PM   #6
SteveL
old git

Giving it the bean means to put extra effort into an activity or job, and achieve something faster than before by putting in extra elbow grease. For example, moving faster, or playing harder than you were before.

Steve

Old August 10th, 2019, 11:27 AM   #7
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Giving it the bean means to put extra effort into an activity or job, and achieve something faster than before by putting in extra elbow grease. For example, moving faster, or playing harder than you were before.

Steve
So there is no farting involved?

Old August 10th, 2019, 12:38 PM   #8
SteveL
old git

If you give it too meany beans you might have a brown out.

Steve

Old August 10th, 2019, 02:07 PM   #9
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
One son has a GSXR750 and the other has a GSXR1000. So you think the 1000 would be better! I not sure where you put the beans. Is there a filler cap or something for them?
Take the older one
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2019, 01:56 PM   #10
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
I've been thinking about riding motorcycles for over 60 years. Before I know it I'll be 86. I hear riding on the street is so dangerous I thought about going to the track to ride. There is a track close to my house that has a school once a year in October. It's the Team Hammer school. The track is pretty big so I'm wondering if riding a 750 in big enough or should a ride a 1000. Maybe I should just do both and see which I like better. Anyway, the school is only one day. I hope I learn a lot and have fun. I wanna go fast!
Not sure what your question is, whether or not to do the school or to ride a 750 or the 1000. I'm a coach with the California Superbike School so my suggestion would be to take a riding school (you were mentioning Team Hammer) and ride whatever you are most comfortable on. Then, the purpose shouldn't be to just RIDE fast but to ride well and improve. Speed will come with good technique not the other way round. I often have people ask me how to go fast and I say, do the drills, be a good student, work on improving your riding in a steady controlled manner and your speed will ramp up as well.

Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2019, 03:45 PM   #11
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
Not sure what your question is, whether or not to do the school or to ride a 750 or the 1000. I'm a coach with the California Superbike School so my suggestion would be to take a riding school (you were mentioning Team Hammer) and ride whatever you are most comfortable on. Then, the purpose shouldn't be to just RIDE fast but to ride well and improve. Speed will come with good technique not the other way round. I often have people ask me how to go fast and I say, do the drills, be a good student, work on improving your riding in a steady controlled manner and your speed will ramp up as well.

Team Hammer has a school at Daytona. I was thinking would the 1000 be too fast on tires since they run the regular course. I love going fast. The faster the better. In fact if I can remember how to ride well I might be super duper fast. What is the sound barrier again?

Old September 13th, 2019, 03:55 PM   #12
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2019, 01:24 PM   #13
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Team Hammer has a school at Daytona. I was thinking would the 1000 be too fast on tires since they run the regular course. I love going fast. The faster the better. In fact if I can remember how to ride well I might be super duper fast. What is the sound barrier again?
Is there such thing as too fast?!

Old December 4th, 2019, 02:10 PM   #14
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:

I'll echo this; but if you don't have a bike preference here's a comment I made recently:

For years I've encouraged people trying to get better at the track to do two things: 1. invest in training and 2. move down in bike -- you can cover up a lot of errors and weaknesses, including from yourself, with a superbike that you couldn't on a 250.

I'm actually thinking of taking my 250 or 300 along with my 1000s for my pre-CodeRACE Superbike schools for this very reason.

Old December 4th, 2019, 07:01 PM   #15
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

That would be interesting! Last time I was at Streets of Willow was over decade ago back when WSMC was still around. Did it on my VF500 and was thinking it would be nice to be on something with 100-lbs less mass to shove around! I’ll be using my 250 for CodeRACE!

Old December 4th, 2019, 08:17 PM   #16
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
That would be interesting! Last time I was at Streets of Willow was over decade ago back when WSMC was still around. Did it on my VF500 and was thinking it would be nice to be on something with 100-lbs less mass to shove around! I’ll be using my 250 for CodeRACE!
For CodeRACE itself I'm debating between my 250, S1000, and HP4

Old December 9th, 2019, 11:19 AM   #17
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
For CodeRACE itself I'm debating between my 250, S1000, and HP4
Try em all! I'd actually LOVE to rip around Streets on a little 250! (so fun to rail past people on a little bike!)

Old December 9th, 2019, 11:40 AM   #18
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Try em all! I'd actually LOVE to rip around Streets on a little 250! (so fun to rail past people on a little bike!)
My toy hauler only reasonably accomodates 2 bikes -- I could try to load one in the bed of the truck I suppose...

Old December 16th, 2019, 10:56 AM   #19
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
My toy hauler only reasonably accomodates 2 bikes -- I could try to load one in the bed of the truck I suppose...
Tough problems to have.

Old January 8th, 2020, 02:32 PM   #20
snapshot
Fogwalker

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 "Matilda"

Quote:
Streets is my favorite track. It's where I first set a knee down on an XR100.

I used to race YSRs and NSR-50s there. I'd even do track days. They made me ride in C group, but it was hella fun practicing passing people on 600s and 1000s. People would accuse me of having more than a 50 and I'd get some hate in the pits, lol.

To the OP. I'd advise getting something smaller to learn on. You'll spend too much time being afraid on a liter bike to learn much. Good luck and post pictures!

Ride on,

J~

Old January 17th, 2020, 02:02 PM   #21
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot View Post
Streets is my favorite track. It's where I first set a knee down on an XR100.

I used to race YSRs and NSR-50s there. I'd even do track days. They made me ride in C group, but it was hella fun practicing passing people on 600s and 1000s. People would accuse me of having more than a 50 and I'd get some hate in the pits, lol.

To the OP. I'd advise getting something smaller to learn on. You'll spend too much time being afraid on a liter bike to learn much. Good luck and post pictures!

Ride on,

J~
Streets is such a FUN track and such a great learning track. I love coaching there with CSS because we get so much time to watch the students, it's a smaller track with such a variety of corners to practice the riding skills. A little bit of everything there!

And love how you were ripping around everyone on the smaller bike. I love doing that too, hahahahah. So much fun to play on the small bikes!

Old January 17th, 2020, 02:18 PM   #22
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Streets is such a FUN track and such a great learning track. I love coaching there with CSS because we get so much time to watch the students, it's a smaller track with such a variety of corners to practice the riding skills. A little bit of everything there!

And love how you were ripping around everyone on the smaller bike. I love doing that too, hahahahah. So much fun to play on the small bikes!
There are 2 great things about Streets on top of being technical for school - 1. the short length has more advantages than you think; if you need to focus on a corner you see it more often, your coach spends less time 'waiting for you to come around', and your coach can usually follow and lead the same corner more than once so you can catch things you might miss. 2. There are a few pull offs -- while it hasn't happened much for me, every so often a coach pulls you in to talk and that can be hyper valuable when appropriate.

Old January 20th, 2020, 01:19 PM   #23
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
There are 2 great things about Streets on top of being technical for school - 1. the short length has more advantages than you think; if you need to focus on a corner you see it more often, your coach spends less time 'waiting for you to come around', and your coach can usually follow and lead the same corner more than once so you can catch things you might miss. 2. There are a few pull offs -- while it hasn't happened much for me, every so often a coach pulls you in to talk and that can be hyper valuable when appropriate.
Good added points, yes!

Old February 3rd, 2020, 10:08 PM   #24
justanotherone1
ninjette.org member

Name: Cyril

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 EX x2, 07" CBR600RR, 09"SFV 650 Gladius

I was a late bloomer too and got my license at 30 last year. I agree with DannoXYZ on the 250 starter bike thing. I rode on and off since 26, but never got my CM1 license due to my constraint circumstances. Yes, I was one of those guys that just kept getting a permit to ride legally lol... TBH I never learned how to truly turn until I went to the California Motorcycle School where you get your endorsement and get your license without taking that lame DMV riding test. Before I got my license, I didn't know how to turn and I was riding like a jackass flying at 100+ mph like a maniac. I used to road/drag race cars so I understand the driving lines of where to brake and where to dive in. However, takes a lot more skill on a motorcycle because you're literally one with the bike and the consequences are way more severe when you mess up a turn at high speed and you can't brake in a turn (well you can... but I'd highly advise against it unless you're a pro). I'm glad I started really riding later in life lol... Yes, because I was that idiot that will test the limits of the machine... Nowadays I'm a little wiser and give the machine respect lol... I wouldn't consider commuting on the road that dangerous as long as your a good driver. You definitely need to have a good situation awareness (like unconsciously counting cars around you or paying attention to see if other drivers are distracted and staying out of drivers blind spot), but I've always done that when I drive cars anyways.

Last futzed with by justanotherone1; February 3rd, 2020 at 10:12 PM. Reason: grammar
justanotherone1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2020, 02:14 AM   #25
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Can’t find a Harley?

Old February 9th, 2020, 09:04 AM   #26
DannoXYZ

Quote:
So did you take this track school? What bike did you use? How'd it go?

Old February 15th, 2020, 05:42 PM   #27
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
So did you take this track school? What bike did you use? How'd it go?
Daytona is a great track, a lot better than back in the 80's. It is smoother now and the layout is a bit different (turn 1 and also the International Horseshoe). Bikes are so fast now I know why they used to use a completely different course for the 1000's. The only thing I have to say is I had to ride the 750 first then the 1000 because getting off the 1000 and getting on the 750 just isn't as thrilling as the other way around.

Did I say it was fun? If not, it was fun!

Old February 25th, 2020, 11:39 AM   #28
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Daytona is a great track, a lot better than back in the 80's. It is smoother now and the layout is a bit different (turn 1 and also the International Horseshoe). Bikes are so fast now I know why they used to use a completely different course for the 1000's. The only thing I have to say is I had to ride the 750 first then the 1000 because getting off the 1000 and getting on the 750 just isn't as thrilling as the other way around.

Did I say it was fun? If not, it was fun!
Nice!! Been ages since I raced at Daytona! Glad you had fun and enjoyed the bike. Was it through Team Hammer then? What did you take away from the school in terms of riding skill? What was one thing you worked on the most and how were you able to improve?

Old February 25th, 2020, 01:23 PM   #29
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Nice!! Been ages since I raced at Daytona! Glad you had fun and enjoyed the bike. Was it through Team Hammer then? What did you take away from the school in terms of riding skill? What was one thing you worked on the most and how were you able to improve?
Team Hammer rocks! Riding skill learned; keep your eyes open and breath. One thing worked on; I'm not as fast as I once was, but bikes are a lot faster now then they were when I raced there. Improvement was to have fun and it wasn't a race which resulted in faster times. Besides I looked great!

Old February 26th, 2020, 12:24 PM   #30
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Team Hammer rocks! Riding skill learned; keep your eyes open and breath. One thing worked on; I'm not as fast as I once was, but bikes are a lot faster now then they were when I raced there. Improvement was to have fun and it wasn't a race which resulted in faster times. Besides I looked great!
Hahahah all of that is awesome!!!! Well done