Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 6th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #1
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Name: devmasa

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha R6, 2007 Ninja 250

Downgrading from a Yamaha R6....opinions wanted

Hello all,
I recently moved and now need to commute ~45 mile round trip.This is in Los Angeles and for those who are in Los Angeles know how horrible this commute can be from the west side to San Fernando valley during rush hour.I currently own a 2007 Yamaha R6 and don't find it suitable for commuting at all.
I used to have a 2007 ninja 250 (my first bike) and really liked it but found it very underpowered while looking for that quick acceleration needed to pass cars on the freeway
I would like an honest opinion of all 250 owners about getting a 250 as a daily commuter .I am also looking for other motorcycle options where I need enough power for the freeway as well as being nimble and light enough to lane split.
Your opinions are highly appreciated

Last futzed with by devmasa; October 6th, 2010 at 07:24 PM.
devmasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #2
TrueFader
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

honestly the bike is great all around, you can gear the top end a little higher for more comfortable freeway commuting rpms but i think in 6th at 9k i'm at like 80 mph and just entering the good powerband so it works for me, my commute is about half yours though so you might look into a little more power like an sv650 or so. they have a more standard riding position and bigger range of speed. work well for weekend fun riding or track use as well.
TrueFader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
You allready have previous experience on a Ninja 250 and since you are looking at this as a 'downgrade" than your mind is allreaady made up and nothing we can say will change your mind. Take a look back at your past experience with the bike and decide from there. Ask yourself: was it comfortable, did it have enough power for me?
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #4
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

A Ninja 650r or a fz-6r would be a good choice
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #5
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

99.9% of my riding is commuting approximately 20 miles (one way) on the freeway at speeds between 70-80 mph. i find my new-gen ninja does everything i need it to do. throw on an area p exhaust and a jet kit, and you're looking at a 15-20% increase in power and torque. should get the job done - all while providing 45-50mpg

want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #6
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFader View Post
honestly the bike is great all around, you can gear the top end a little higher for more comfortable freeway commuting rpms but i think in 6th at 9k i'm at like 80 mph and just entering the good powerband so it works for me, my commute is about half yours though so you might look into a little more power like an sv650 or so. they have a more standard riding position and bigger range of speed. work well for weekend fun riding or track use as well.
Speed is not too big of an issue.I ride pretty easy...never going above 75 mph.
Its the acceleration that I was not too comfortable with.I am looking at the sv650 too.I want a bike with more upright riding position and that gives good gas mileage.
I think the sv650 still has a leaning riding position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
You already have previous experience on a Ninja 250 and since you are looking at this as a 'downgrade" than your mind is already made up and nothing we can say will change your mind. Take a look back at your past experience with the bike and decide from there. Ask yourself: was it comfortable, did it have enough power for me?
I dont mean mean "downgrade" in a bad way.I was just referring to a downgrade on the engine ccs and motorcycle insurance
The thing I loved about the ninja is that I felt more comfortable as I could flatfoot the bike.The riding position was more upright ..so less stress on my wrists (I have a sensitive wrist from an old accident).
As for the power..yes it was a little lacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Definitely looking at the 650r.I am also looking at the Kawasaki Versys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by want1sobad View Post
99.9% of my riding is commuting approximately 20 miles (one way) on the freeway at speeds between 70-80 mph. i find my new-gen ninja does everything i need it to do. throw on an area p exhaust and a jet kit, and you're looking at a 15-20% increase in power and torque. should get the job done - all while providing 45-50mpg

Thanks for the info

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #7
devmasa
ninjette.org member

So here are a list of things I remember that I didn't like on my 2007 ninja 250:
1) Lacks quick power/acceleration needed to pass cars on the freeway.
2) On my previous ninja I felt a lot of "sway" from other cars passing me.(I don't feel this on my R6)
3) Bike vibrates a lot at high speeds.
4) Thinner tires pick up freeway surface imperfections (deeper than usual grooves,uneven roads,potholes etc) quickly.This was a big concern for me on Los Angeles freeways at high speeds.
5) This might sound silly...but car drivers usually don't notice/hear a ninja 250 in the freeway commotion. I have a pretty loud pipe on my R6 and cars notice me/make some room for me when I am lane splitting.

Please feel free to correct me on these since these are the things I remember on my 250 as a noob's first motorcycle experience.
Has Kawasaki made significant changes to the 2008+ 250s ( other than the cosmetic stuff) that is an improvement over the pre-2008 models?

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:20 PM   #8
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I think a 650r is what you are looking for tbh. It will have the power you need and the more upright position.

I commute on the 710 on my 250 and ride the 91 and 405 all the time and dont have issues but dont feel the need to pass to much.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:24 PM   #9
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

If you are worried about the 250 getting up to speed, I would recommend doing some work to the carb. Even shimming them will help with the bike to pick up speed. All that would cost would be around a $1 and an hour of your time.

If you dont like the vibration of the bike, upgrade the front sproket to a 15 tooth. That will lower the RPM's on the highway.

Dosnt matter what bike your on, other drivers wont see you.

Ive never had any problems with my thin tires..
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #10
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsketch View Post
What is funny about people complaining about ninja 250 acceleration, is it still accelerates much faster than probably most of the cars they drive and are on the road...
There you go, speaking the truth.

We don't need any input from "realist / a**holes" when we're imagining ourselves mixing it up on the nation's highways with squadrons of marauding Lamborghinis and Ferraris.

While we're indulging in "personal mythology" we might as well imagine a scene inside the OP's local Kawasaki dealership...... "Sorry, Sir. We can't sell you this little 250." "Why? Because your penis is simply too enormous. It's against the law. Let me show you some of our Liter-bikes instead."
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #11
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
What is funny about people complaining about ninja 250 acceleration, is it still accelerates much faster than probably most of the cars they drive and are on the road...
Almost 8 seconds 0-60, so... nope, pretty slow. About the same as my over 2.5-ton Grand Cherokee.

To the OP, coming from an R6 you will be disappointed with the power around town, but once you're in the powerband (i.e. doing 80 on the highway) it's pretty good.

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
naw I think you got that wrong, its about 5.5 seconds.
The road tests for the new version have placed it between 7 and 8 seconds, but you're right, the road tests for the pregens sometimes had it as under 6. I think that the older reports seem a little optimistic, and the newer ones are a little pessimistic, but it's hard to say. It depends greatly on the size of the individual strapped onto the bike anyway. If we do try and time it ourselves, it's key to remember that the speedo on many of our bikes probably has to read 65 mph before we're truly at 60 mph.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #13
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Easy guys...no need to defend the accelerating credibility of the 250.I am well aware of it.And I find it to be plenty enough on the freeways. I am just talking about the situations when you need that extra power to get away from that stupid cager when he is dangerously cutting into your lane.
As a new rider I found that power lacking. Or probably I didn't have enough riding experience then and relied on the extra power to makeup for it.

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #14
illrational
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Black '11 ZX-6R

i can get to sixty in six seconds easy

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #15
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
While we're indulging in "personal mythology" we might as well imagine a scene inside the OP's local Kawasaki dealership...... "Sorry, Sir. We can't sell you this little 250." "Why? Because your penis is simply too enormous. It's against the law. Let me show you some of our Liter-bikes instead."
"personal mythology" ..now thats a new one.
And BTW the salesperson did actually say that.....I still ended up buying the 250 as my first motorcycle

Realistic opinions are welcome,smartass comments from people who have no clue about reckless L.A. drivers are not

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #16
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Street Triple.

LOL and don't be surprised at people defending the 250....remember what site you're on. But if you're looking to maximize gas mileage and overrall costs then the 250 is your choice hands down. It may even allow you to keep the R6 as a weekend bike.

But if you can only have one bike to do it all...Street Triple.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #17
kkim

sounds like you are looking for more throttle response than a stock bike provides. There are ways to mod a 250 so the power below redline actually becomes usable. It will never be a 600 SS, but it will out accelerate the majority of cars on the road today, but will require more time for evasive moves than the R6 you are used to. If you can live with that difference, I think you will really love the 250 if you enjoy riding twisty roads on the weekends.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #18
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

I own a liter bike and have tons more fun on my 250! My

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:28 PM   #19
devmasa
ninjette.org member

"throttle response" ...thats it...exactly the term I was looking for.
Is not acceleration that I was referring to...its throttle response.

kkim..what kind of improvements can be done to the 250 to improve its throttle response?

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #20
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
I own a liter bike and have tons more fun on my 250! My
Exactly the reason I want a 250...just considering all options before I use the 250 as a daily commuter

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #21
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by devmasa View Post
"throttle response" ...thats it...exactly the term I was looking for.
Is not acceleration that I was referring to...its throttle response.

kkim..what kind of improvements can be done to the 250 to improve its throttle response?
lol... don't get me started. How deep are your pockets?

Honestly, add on power can be had for a few dollars or thousands.

The usual things one does with any emissions strangled vehicle. Open up the intake and exhaust and jet accordingly. All these are well documented here w/ DIYs and only ends when your wallet goes empty or the desire for more power/torque is satiated.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586

Old October 6th, 2010, 07:41 PM   #22
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I ride mine daily as a commuter, about 34 miles each way, 2 freeways with moving traffic and freeway that slows to a crawl. I have also rode it in socal while I was there last summer and didn't have problems on the freeways, found it real easy to lane split, and had no problems staying with traffic, although I did have to downshift a few times to gets some "kick".

nb

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #23
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
naw I think you got that wrong, its about 5.5 seconds.
Top 3 reviews/reports on Google agreed 7.7something. Even if it's 7.00, that's a far cry from 'accelerates faster than most cars on the road'.

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #24
scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Top 3 reviews/reports on Google agreed 7.7something. Even if it's 7.00, that's a far cry from 'accelerates faster than most cars on the road'.
7 Seconds.....Stock

Old October 6th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #25
kkim

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html

Old October 6th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #26
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

I think a more accurate statement is "accelerates faster than most DRIVERS on the road"

I live in the San Fernando Valley and I've been commuting throughout it's traffic on a 250 for the last year and a half. I've had many a stint on the 405, 101/134/210, 118 never had issues at freeway speeds in bumper to bumper, moderate, or wide open traffic. Off the line at a stop light it takes NO EFFORT AT ALL to out react and out accelerate 99.99999% of the craptastic, unattentive drivers- and it's easy to stay out of trouble riding ahead of traffic.

If you honestly think it'd be too slow for you're riding style though, then yeah, I'd sit on an SV650/Ninja 650/FZ6 and see what you like. But it's technically more than capable of commuting in the most questionable of traffic situations. For me, it's the perfect commuter (And a super fun track bike ) and I've never had difficulty getting myself out of trouble, but I'm used to/enjoy riding a slow bike so YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
There you go, speaking the truth.

We don't need any input from "realist / a**holes" when we're imagining ourselves mixing it up on the nation's highways with squadrons of marauding Lamborghinis and Ferraris.

You, sir, rock my world
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #27
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

The 250 is a great bike and it can move plenty fast to get you out of trouble and even into some. You can ride the bike for hours on end at over 80MPH. But if you believe that it did not have enough acceleration or speed for you, then you will never be happy with it.
If you decide to get the 250, be sure that your not just throwing you money into a bike that you will be bored with in a week.

Old October 6th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #28
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
The 250 is a great bike and it can move plenty fast to get you out of trouble and even into some. You can ride the bike for hours on end at over 80MPH. But if you believe that it did not have enough acceleration or speed for you, then you will never be happy with it.
If you decide to get the 250, be sure that your not just throwing you money into a bike that you will be bored with in a week.
Thanks for the info.
btw I read your thread about the long ride..really impressive!

Old October 6th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #29
50sGrl
Midlife Noob

Name: Ann

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r, 09 Yamaha FZ6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
+1 on the Yamaha FZ6R. I upgraded from the 250 and I love it. It has a comfortable slightly upright position and the seat is good. There is plenty of power if you need it but without the overpowering feeling of the R6.
50sGrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #30
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the pre-gens out accelerate the new-gens especially at highway speeds. I'm just sayin......

And with the pre-gen, you could slip on a 2-1 exhaust and rejet it for good overall power. That's what a previous owner did with mine and I never have issues out accelerating 99% of the highway idiots.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #31
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the pre-gens out accelerate the new-gens especially at highway speeds. I'm just sayin......

And with the pre-gen, you could slip on a 2-1 exhaust and rejet it for good overall power. That's what a previous owner did with mine and I never have issues out accelerating 99% of the highway idiots.
I'd love to take that challenge

Anyone use the pocket dyno for the iPhone? http://www.pocketdyno.com/

Old October 7th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #32
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

With a few bucks and a couple hours with hand tools. ANY new-gen can be made into a 15 second 1/4 mile screamer. (mid-upper 14's if your of the lighter variety.) That is faster than ALOT of cars.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #33
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

If you get the 250 black version it won't be as much of a downgrade from an R6 as opposed to the other colors available. Just sayin.

Old October 7th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #34
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

this thread makes me sad....why would going to a 250 be a downgrade? in your post you said the 250 has better mileage, and since its lighter it provides better control on manuvers...in my opinon, that it itself is an upgrade.

Old October 7th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #35
devmasa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
this thread makes me sad....why would going to a 250 be a downgrade? in your post you said the 250 has better mileage, and since its lighter it provides better control on manuvers...in my opinon, that it itself is an upgrade.
I really meant "Downsize" not downgrade.

Old October 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #36
devmasa
ninjette.org member

about the FZ6...doesn't it have the same engine as the R6?...If yes then it wont be great on gas mileage

Old October 7th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #37
scotty

Quote:
about the FZ6...doesn't it have the same engine as the R6?...If yes then it wont be great on gas mileage
Yes, thats correct. I compair that FZ6 to the ninja 650R. Its more of a sit up rite bike. Its a nice bike though!

Old October 7th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #38
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Detuned I believe...which usually means a different cam or fuel map or something.

For what it's worth I preferred commuting on my Ninja 250 as opposed to my current ride and never really noticed an acceleration issue on the freeway...especially in traffic seeing as how you're crawling most of the time.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #39
devmasa
ninjette.org member

I think the 650R still claims to give 55 mpg
nothing beats the 60-65 mpg of the ninja though
...on that note what is the real world mpg that your 250 is giving?

Old October 7th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #40
dubojr1

Quote:
...on that note what is the real world mpg that your 250 is giving?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ghlight=sipper