ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 6th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #121
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavid2002 View Post
do any of you wear these clothes with the "armor" stitched into them at the joints.
Absolutely, I have for many years. You can find both leather and textile riding gear with insertable or sewn-in armour. Currently I have a riding jacket that is heavy nylon with armour padding in the elbows, shoulders, and spine.

I've usually owned textile gear. With most of these you can pull the plastic foam armour pieces out of their pockets, and then drop your jacket or overpants in a washing machine! Very convenient.

When looking for armour, keep an eye out for 'CE' certification: this type of armour has been certified by a safety agency in Europe and is usually good stuff.

Old May 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #122
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Looking at that HJC, I have to say I'd be a bit torn too - it looks like a brand new helmet!

I've read these claims that the various components tend to fail with age. Hmmm, maybe - but it also sounds like the helmet company is just trying to get you to fork out money for a new lid!

If it was me, and I was on a severe budget, I'd probably hang onto the helmet and use it while I acquired other good gear: jacket, gloves, boots, pants, raingear, etc. Only when I had all the other riding gear would I then scrap the helmet - it looks like it still has a lot of life left in it... IMHO.

Old May 6th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #123
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

Quote:
I dunno. I never knew you retired helmets. Just like im sure I know allot more about the shooting sports than you do. You know allot more about cycling than I do. Thats why im here askin you guys.

So the ultimate reason why I should throw this thing out is because the glue has aged and become useless?
i have a closet full of helmets that i could probably still use, but don't because i'm unsure. some just have a few little skid marks, some have solid impacts that resulted in a concussion, and others even got worn long enough to wear out the liner.

either way, it wasn't worth the risk and i retired it. thats why i shop around and i buy the helmet i can find the best deal on that is still of good quality... like the HJC AC-12... its a track/race worthy helmet, but i can find it in various solid colors (and even in kawasaki trim) for about $100.

in my opinion, theres no need to spend 4-600 bucks on a helmet. if you're on the street, and you want a cool helmet you can pick up a cool shoei or something on closeout for 2-300, or you can buy the ugly one thats the exact same model for 1-200. i buy the ugly, high quality helmet cuase i know i'm going to trash it sooner than later.

the bottom line is that your helmet is too old. it's impossible to know how much its deteriorated, but a 10 year old helmet can't be the safest option. i'd recommend you get a new lid as soon as you can gather up 1-200 bucks. AC-12 is my suggestion for the best value.

Old May 8th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #124
Buffalony
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Get a new helmet yet Dave?

Old May 8th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #125
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Joe, nice avatar. They just opened a Santora's Buffalo Pizza & Wing joint here. I hear they are big up there. Pretty good grub.

If I get the "armor" protection can I still wear shorts and flip-flops or is that still taboo?

Old May 8th, 2009, 07:37 AM   #126
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I use these and love them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scorpion_exowear-deuce-blk.jpg (61.4 KB, 3 views)
tjkamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #127
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom View Post
i have a closet full of helmets that i could probably still use, but don't because i'm unsure. some just have a few little skid marks, some have solid impacts that resulted in a concussion, and others even got worn long enough to wear out the liner.

either way, it wasn't worth the risk and i retired it. thats why i shop around and i buy the helmet i can find the best deal on that is still of good quality... like the HJC AC-12... its a track/race worthy helmet, but i can find it in various solid colors (and even in kawasaki trim) for about $100.

in my opinion, theres no need to spend 4-600 bucks on a helmet. if you're on the street, and you want a cool helmet you can pick up a cool shoei or something on closeout for 2-300, or you can buy the ugly one thats the exact same model for 1-200. i buy the ugly, high quality helmet cuase i know i'm going to trash it sooner than later.

the bottom line is that your helmet is too old. it's impossible to know how much its deteriorated, but a 10 year old helmet can't be the safest option. i'd recommend you get a new lid as soon as you can gather up 1-200 bucks. AC-12 is my suggestion for the best value.
Helmets should be changed every three years at the least. You should also not use a helmet if it has any visible blemishes or damage to the outer plastic shell. Even small chips can compromise the structure and cause the helmet to crack on impact instead of evenly distributing the blow.
tjkamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #128
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Joe, nice avatar. They just opened a Santora's Buffalo Pizza & Wing joint here. I hear they are big up there. Pretty good grub.
Santoras is okay. The Buffalo wing supposedly originated from the Anchor Bar. I dont like their wings, though not many other people I talk to care for them much either. La Novas is more well known from the area. I should add that there are alot of other places here that have even better wings than La Novas. I think Bush had La Novas ordered and delivered to airforce one when he was in term. Butt screw Bush lol.

However, If any of you are ever in Buffalo I recommend you do find a La Novas and try their Pizza. Thats really their specialty. Buffalo Pizza has evolved into something between a chicago deep dish and the NYC thin crust. It just doesnt taste the same when I go outta town. But that just might be the water

While I'm on the subject We also have good pasta houses here but theyre becoming few and far in between these days. La Bella's and Santasiero's being two of the older ones.
BTW. You also should try Mighty Taco if your ever in town.

Flip flops and shorts is your game. I might have shot out in shorts really quick but I'd never do the flops

Old May 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #129
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
Santoras is okay. The Buffalo wing supposedly originated from the Anchor Bar. I dont like their wings, though not many other people I talk to care for them much either. La Novas is more well known from the area. I should add that there are alot of other places here that have even better wings than La Novas. I think Bush had La Novas ordered and delivered to airforce one when he was in term. Butt screw Bush lol.
However, If any of you are ever in Buffalo I recommend you do find a La Novas and try their Pizza. Thats really their specialty. Buffalo Pizza has evolved into something between a chicago deep dish and the NYC thin crust. It just doesnt taste the same when I go outta town. But that just might be the water

While I'm on the subject We also have good pasta houses here but theyre becoming few and far in between these days. La Bella's and Santasiero's being two of the older ones.
BTW. You also should try Mighty Taco if your ever in town.

Flip flops and shorts is your game. I might have shot out in shorts really quick but I'd never do the flops
As far as the Bush thing, I don't swing that way. As far as the water, I agree. You can't even get good bread down here like you do in the north. It's got to be the water. All I can remember about Buffalo is the great bars, great girls, and great hangovers.

Old May 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #130
Buffalony

U caught that huh. I deleted it then put it back when I thought about it.
He got most of us up the arse. imo

Old May 8th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #131
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

anyone use DAINESE "Knee V" Armor ? Is it comfortable?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #132
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
When riding on the roads...do any of you wear these clothes with the "armor" stitched into them at the joints. Like at the knee and elbow? If so how do you like em? What kind do you have. Anyone have a story where these have saved your hide? Seems like a plate sewn into the fabric would be ultimately more effective than leather.
Thanks

When the hard armor is no longer part of the equation...
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #133
Techno250
bikeless n00b

Name: Woody

Motorcycle(s): None yet. My dream machine is a BLUE 250R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalony View Post
Yeah It still really was my fault. Cold Rubber just didnt come to mind. But hey thats why were here. To share these experiences with other riders. I wonder how many lives have been saved because of these gathering grounds? I'm sure a lot of dollars.
I have no doubt that what I'm learning on this FREAKIN' AWESOME forum will literally save my hide someday. I want to use the bike for commuting sometimes, so the Tourmaster Flex 2 Jacket and Overpants look perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
shark - I also rock the ICON field leg armor on occasion... i feel like robocop when i'm rocking it
Talk about rockin some gear! (In case some people haven't yet seen it. ) I think I'm developing a gear fetish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiu Jitsu Player View Post
My cousin just got in a serious accident- collapsed lung, surgically removed glass shards from his back, shattered rib cage, etc. but for whatever reason I'm still stupid.
Take it from experience, a collapsed lung SUX! I had a spontaneous collapse -- not due to injury -- and I was in the hospital for 28 days. The surgery to fix the collapse was hideous. Not to be too graphic, but they could not fix it laproscopically, so they basically filleted me. Awesome scar, though! And all the chest tube scars look like gunshot wounds, great for fake street cred. I can make fun of it, but you do not want to go through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom View Post
Was thinking of the HJC IS-16, because it looks a lot like my brother's flight crew helmet, and under $200.

Old May 10th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #134
Buffalony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno250 View Post
Was thinking of the HJC IS-16, because it looks a lot like my brother's flight crew helmet, and under $200.
I think I just found my next helmet.

Old May 10th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #135
lavid2002
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:
Get a new helmet yet Dave?
Nah not yet, I finally got my motorcycle license. All I need is 800 bucks more then I can get my bike, then im getting a whole bunch of new gear, textile jacket, helmet, pants, the works : D

Old May 12th, 2009, 04:06 AM   #136
Buffalony

Quote:
Nah not yet, I finally got my motorcycle license. All I need is 800 bucks more then I can get my bike, then im getting a whole bunch of new gear, textile jacket, helmet, pants, the works : D
Congrats on the pass
+1 on getting a whole get up. Your life is what matters and all that new gear could end up saving it. Keep us posted bud.

Old May 12th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #137
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Name: Jase

Motorcycle(s): 1986 GPZ Ninja

I am getting armor and that will go over the leather, armor is below :

The full body armor ... with jacket underneath, it's more Moto X than road though.

And leg armor ... need pants to go under or over though and to match the body armor.

I think the mix of both leather and armor should be sufficient and cover the Robocop look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg armor.jpg (15.2 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg leg_armor_sm.jpg (13.1 KB, 115 views)
thsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #138
Buffalony

Or you could start a Mortal Ninjette tournment.

"ROUND ONE" ... "FIGHT"

"GET OVER HERE" POW

Old May 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #139
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Not all armor is meant to withstand direct contact with the road. The Fox set show above for instance, the armor pieces will be fine, however, the material that holds the pieces together is not rated for that kind of use, it was designed to be worn UNDER the leathers. Trust me, I HAVE seen that armor come apart and recently on the street because someone thought it was the only thing they needed to wear.

Just something to think about. (The leg armor is excluded from the above.)

Old May 13th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #140
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsadmin View Post
I am getting armor and that will go over the leather, armor is below :

I think the mix of both leather and armor should be sufficient and cover the Robocop look.
that is a nice jacket! i really like the look. it wouldn't match me though. it really reminds me of the new kamen rider.

Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #141
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Quote:
Not all armor is meant to withstand direct contact with the road. The Fox set show above for instance, the armor pieces will be fine, however, the material that holds the pieces together is not rated for that kind of use, it was designed to be worn UNDER the leathers.
Yeah that's what I though or knew - really, I am hoping that the actual armor will detach from the jacket and then I could use a leather jacket with armor over the top - I like the Robocop look ... if that fails - then I will just wear the jacket over the top. I just like the look of the armor.

Quote:
that is a nice jacket! i really like the look.
Thanks !! Hence why I want to show it off ... should match my Lemon Yellow Ninja.

Old May 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #142
Buffalony

I just snagged a set of the icon leg armor. Pretty cool gear to throw some jeans over.

Old May 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM   #143
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Yeah that's what I though or knew - really, I am hoping that the actual armor will detach from the jacket and then I could use a leather jacket with armor over the top - I like the Robocop look ... if that fails - then I will just wear the jacket over the top. I just like the look of the armor.

Thanks !! Hence why I want to show it off ... should match my Lemon Yellow Ninja.

That jacket is there just for show, if you look close you can see the seperate straps for the set. The kid I saw the other day had it on over a wife beater...and he made one hell of a mess when I caught back up to where he went down at.

Something else to think about, when the ambient air temp is 103F...what kind of burns do you think that pavement is going to leave on bare flesh

Old May 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #144
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Quote:
That jacket is there just for show, if you look close you can see the seperate straps for the set.
Yeah you are right, should go nicely over a well fitted leather jacket then, with leather pants to match.

Old May 16th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #145
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Again, you want to stick with T-Pro armor and Helimot makes a great backprotector and chest protector, too.

Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of companies that make good armor. Many companies either private label out TPro or create TPro clone armor. You want soft armor, not hard armor.

Don't be stupid. Don't cheap out on this.

When it comes to helmets, the reason to upgrade is due to changing technology. Helmet technology almost coincides with Moore's Law, so a two year old helmet is almost ancient in a technological sense.

Sweat, lotion, hairspray, sunblock (should never be worn while riding) all serve to break down the foam that slows impact forces to the brain. So, wash your liner (if you can) frequently and keep the helmet from extreme heat and UV light. This will keep a helmet lasting nice and long (if you are someone who wants to).

Make sure that the helmet fits properly first, is comfortable (especially at high speed). The higher price helmets are generally better (think about the wind deflection when turning your head at 85 mph to check your blindspot...many cheapie helmets will show their price points at one point or another), though I would steer clear from Snell rated helmets.

As posted above, you can get a high end helmet for peanuts if you are not too picky on color.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #146
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Quote:
Don't be stupid. Don't cheap out on this.
But some of us are strapped for cash, so a cheaper alternative is the only option or the next option is no protection at all. Sure we can upgrade as we go along ... but like me ... buying the bike, rego and keeping the bike roadworthy is expensive enough and that's especially true when starting out.

Old May 16th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #147
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
The last time I tested my armor. I had a jacket with hard elbow pads . I landed on my side . Not a big deal really just a low side but I landed flat on my elbow pad. I broke the ribs on my side . You could see the circular pattern in the x ray.

I now ware a Joe Rocket jacket with soft elbow pads.and know about center stands and ground clearance when braking hard for a corner. LOL.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 04:33 AM   #148
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

This is my hot weather getup. I tried black pants but they just soaked up the sunlight. I have non-mesh, waterproof, jacket and pants for cooler temps. When I rode back in my 20s I often wore shorts and a t-shirt, ugh. At least helmet and gloves were always used.

Tim

Joe Rocket Phoenix 5 jacket and Fieldsheer Four Season Mesh pants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joe-Rocket-Phoenix-5_0-Jacket-2T.jpg (17.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Fieldsheer_Four_Season_Pants_Silver_zoom.jpg (20.1 KB, 0 views)
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #149
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Quote:
The last time I tested my armor. I had a jacket with hard elbow pads . I landed on my side . Not a big deal really just a low side but I landed flat on my elbow pad. I broke the ribs on my side . You could see the circular pattern in the x ray.
Ouch ... nice heads up and good point that you raise ... mmmm. But if you landed on your elbow would the soft or hard break the fall more ? Is there an advantage to the hard armor - in any cases ?

Old May 16th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #150
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
Ouch ... nice heads up and good point that you raise ... mmmm. But if you landed on your elbow would the soft or hard break the fall more ? Is there an advantage to the hard armor - in any cases ?
I like hard armor for knee pads A hard spine prote tor is a must. to keep from bening backward. I kinda think my injury was a reek thing.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #151
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
But some of us are strapped for cash, so a cheaper alternative is the only option or the next option is no protection at all. Sure we can upgrade as we go along ... but like me ... buying the bike, rego and keeping the bike roadworthy is expensive enough and that's especially true when starting out.
I am only putting the information out there. What readers wish to do with the information is up to them.

I would suggest working a few extra hours or even (I really shouldn't be recommending this) putting it on a credit card. Good protection is that important.

But, don't take my word for it. Just go through all of the sportbike forums and read the crash stories. Let me know what you discover.

To answer a question about soft armor, it slows down impact forces thereby reducing the blow to your bones. With hard armor, it transmits the energy almost directly to your body. Hard armor is excellent for sharp objects and objects that pierce; however, for preventing broken bones, you want soft armor.

Some companies combine the two, but I have not yet found a TPro level soft armor that is combined with kevlar/carbon based hard armor. If anyone finds anything like this, let me know.

Good leather is the best for abrasion (road rash and worse).

Incidentally, you should note that the "softer" helmets (i.e. DOT or non-Snell) tend to protect your brain from G's far better than the harder Snell-rated helmets. Again, soft is the way to go.

Hard armor is interesting from a standpoint on how clever it is. It feels like it should be able to protect you very well when in fact the protection is rather poor.

Again, I do suggest that you question my findings and do the research yourself.

http://www.johnsonleather.com/armor_main.htm

(this backprotector can be customized to fit you exactly and has both hard armor protecting the spine and soft armor...it's incredibly lightweight, very comfortable and high quality)
http://shop.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=140

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)

Old May 16th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #152
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Quote:
I am only putting the information out there. What readers wish to do with the information is up to them.
Want to talk to my missus for me ? Here's her number "1800 Grumpy Tight Ass" ... OK given she has the flu. I'm not going into my financial details ... but yeah these times are tough and tight ... and I am still paying off CC after other bike expenses.

I completely understand the valid points above and as soon as I can afford the best protection I will be buying it ... and I appreciate your effort and rounding up the links - you have gone out of your way to provide the in depth "For Soft" argument.

Old May 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #153
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purspeed View Post
Incidentally, you should note that the "softer" helmets (i.e. DOT or non-Snell) tend to protect your brain from G's far better than the harder Snell-rated helmets. Again, soft is the way to go.
This info was reasonably accurate as of 2 or 3 years ago, but has since become a bit out of date. The older Snell standard (2005 and earlier) did force helmet manufacturers to work with a stiffer shell and cushioning as it was tested at higher G's than the DOT standard, but the new M-2010 Snell standard is much closer to the current DOT regs as well as the European ECE standards. There's no benefit to shying away from a Snell rated helmet nowadays, and it's hard to find a high-end helmet that isn't Snell & DOT rated anyway.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #154
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

The gear should come before the bike. Surely if you can come up with a few thousand for even a used bike with insurance, you can afford a few hundred for good riding gear.

Old May 17th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #155
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
This info was reasonably accurate as of 2 or 3 years ago, but has since become a bit out of date. The older Snell standard (2005 and earlier) did force helmet manufacturers to work with a stiffer shell and cushioning as it was tested at higher G's than the DOT standard, but the new M-2010 Snell standard is much closer to the current DOT regs as well as the European ECE standards. There's no benefit to shying away from a Snell rated helmet nowadays, and it's hard to find a high-end helmet that isn't Snell & DOT rated anyway.
Thanks, I am aware of this information. But, until I can actually read the data, I prefer to recommend the ECE and DOT.

Old May 17th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #156
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

All of the Snell standards, including the M2010, can be seen in their entirety at this site. The DOT standard can be seen right here, with the results of some DOT testing right here.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old May 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #157
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Have they initiated any testing like this:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html

Old May 17th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #158
Alex
ninjette.org dude

They all test like that every year, and any helmet that receives the Snell rating needs to go through the external testing for each new model. Motorcyclist magazine hasn't done a followup to that story in the past few years, but they have mentioned that they felt the modifications to the Snell standard were instituted in part because of the magazine's work. I tend to agree with them, as it was quite a big deal in the industry when that was released.

Old May 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #159
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Quote:
The gear should come before the bike.
I disagree ... what if the bike sale falls through ? You are then left with the gear and no bike to ride. I needed a bike to get to work, not gear to ride to work.

Quote:
Surely if you can come up with a few thousand for even a used bike with insurance, you can afford a few hundred for good riding gear.
That's the thing - I couldn't afford a few thousand for a bike and put my self in some debt to get the bike, sure I scraped up the majority of the cash - but not all of it and insurance ... meh maybe when I am better off ... for now the bike's a necessity.

~~~~~

This isn't aimed at anyone - just a observation - I notice that to some people here it's hard to fathom being broke and struggling with cash, but we shouldn't be judged or condemned for or by our financial situations, some of us don't have a lot of money and weren't born with fat wallets or wealthy families.

Old May 17th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #160
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Plenty of us have been poor; I know I have been, and yet somehow I managed to realize it was important to ride with good gear - or not ride at all.

My first motorcycle was a perfectly decent used 400cc that cost me a measly $600, yet I bought a good helmet, jacket, boots, and gloves to go with it that cost me more than the bike!

If you think riding gear is expensive, just imagine how expensive getting seriously hurt will be in medical costs and lost wages. If you can afford a nice 250, you can afford a used bike with riding gear.