Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 17th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #161
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
If you think riding gear is expensive, just imagine how expensive getting seriously hurt will be in medical costs and lost wages. If you can afford a nice 250, you can afford a used bike with riding gear.
I am of extremely modest means. I do not have a lot of money at all. I wish I did.

If you are creative, then you will find a way to get good gear at a very, very low cost. I only write what I write because I don't want to see people hurt needlessly. Do what you wish and let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #162
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
This info was reasonably accurate as of 2 or 3 years ago, but has since become a bit out of date. The older Snell standard (2005 and earlier) did force helmet manufacturers to work with a stiffer shell and cushioning as it was tested at higher G's than the DOT standard, but the new M-2010 Snell standard is much closer to the current DOT regs as well as the European ECE standards. There's no benefit to shying away from a Snell rated helmet nowadays, and it's hard to find a high-end helmet that isn't Snell & DOT rated anyway.
Although the testing wasn't perfect and parameters limited, that article certainly help shed light on the world of helmets.

Thansk Alex.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #163
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Name: Jase

Motorcycle(s): 1986 GPZ Ninja

Quote:
If you think riding gear is expensive, just imagine how expensive getting seriously hurt will be in medical costs and lost wages. If you can afford a nice 250, you can afford a used bike with riding gear.
Luckily the Poor folks in Aus' (like me) are covered for injuries and related expenses ... I received the armor today - and yes it is light material wise, some of the armor is solid with soft padding (within the hard armor) and there is also places where soft padding is stand alone. So the leather jacket is my next purchase and leather pants.

To make it clear though, I am using my bike sparingly - until (fingers crossed) my job starts early next month.

But when i say it's cost me a fortune to start riding I mean :

$2500 for bike.
$200 for stamp duty and collection of bike.
$300 For license and lessons.
$300 for Boots, bag/pack, gloves, armor and socks.
$100 for mods.

So yeah ... for a tight wad like me that's a fair bit of cash to lay down.
thsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote