ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 15th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #1
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Dropped her on the garage floor...

So I did the stupidest thing possible today. I had the bike up on the rear stand and come time to put it down (I do this alone, it's really quite simple) I forgot I hadn't put the kickstand down...
Needless to say, as I was letting the bike lean over I kept thinking I should have hit solid ground by now, and then I just hit the crucial point where the bike started to fall, no matter how hard I tried to keep it up. At that instant I had realized what was happening. Well, the rear of bike fell on me and I picked it up with no issues after I slid out from under it. I'm fine, just a few red marks on my left foot. The bike is fine as well, I can definitely say I was lucky. The turn signal lens came off and some of the plastic in that housing snapped off, but I took the screw out, put it back on, and absolutely no issues, looks like nothing happened and the fairing isn't even scratched. I bent the shifter ever so slightly, but I actually like it more like this. I have pretty big feet and now it's easier to fit my boot under there
So no big issue, just thought I'd share my story involving a little bit of stupidity. Moral: check to make sure your kickstand is down! I can truthfully say that'll never happen to me again.
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #2
kkim

lol... I had the exact thing happen to me early on. Thankfully, I was able to catch the bike before it fell over.

Now I always make it a habit of checking that the side stand is down before lowering the bike back down. I also turn the handlebars full to the left before lowering, so the bike drops to the left onto the side stand once the bike has been lowered.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I bought an 11000 dollar 2006 VFR 800 ABS Honda Interceptor . second day i had it I was taking it off the center stand I still had the kick stand down . I let it land to much to the right and it started to go .I tried to catch it but it leveraged my feet off the ground .I flipped over the top and landed next to it between the bike and the wall . I was pissed .no real damage but my new baby was scratched.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #4
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Wow glad your okay! Lesson learned though!

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #5
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Andy that just plan sucks on so many levels. Glad you are OK though.

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #6
kazam58

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I also turn the handlebars full to the left before lowering, so the bike drops to the left onto the side stand once the bike has been lowered.
Yep, I've done that since the beginning, which is why it fell towards (and on) me
It's no big deal. Nothing got hurt except my pride. I was originally worried I busted the turn signal bulb, which was almost a good excuse to buy protons, but not even that.
This may have convinced me to grab a set of frame sliders. After all, this is my first bike and I do a lot of around town riding, I figure they really can't hurt because I know they'll protect pretty much everything in slow fall. We'll see...I'm waiting for a few spare hours so I can throw a jet kit in there, sync the carbs, and maybe drill the slides.

Old May 15th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #7
kazam58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I bought an 11000 dollar 2006 VFR 800 ABS Honda Interceptor . second day i had it I was taking it off the center stand I still had the kick stand down . I let it land to much to the right and it started to go .I tried to catch it but it leveraged my feet off the ground .I flipped over the top and landed next to it between the bike and the wall . I was pissed .no real damage but my new baby was scratched.
Man, that really does suck, I'm sorry to hear that. That was really learning the hard way...

Old May 15th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #8
Bsmith
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250 R.I.P.

Quote:
I'm just envisioning a garage high side.
Bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #9
thsadmin
1986 GPZ Ninjette

Name: Jase

Motorcycle(s): 1986 GPZ Ninja

Been there also, close on several occasions, I always need to wheel my bike backwards and over several bumps to get it out of the garage - I always get closer to dropping it in the shed than what I do on the road.

Isn't it stupid how the majority of damage is done while walking and handling the bike - than actually riding it.
thsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #10
kazam58

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsadmin View Post
Isn't it stupid how the majority of damage is done while walking and handling the bike - than actually riding it.
Yeah, it does seem like it. But I'm sure that when a bike gets crashed while moving then it gets a whole lot uglier...

Old May 15th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #11
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Glad to hear that you and the bike are ok.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #12
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

When my Ninja fell over for the first time, it fell on its right side, on a sidewalk, so that it didn't land on the handlebars, but only on the body. Since that's only made of plastic, it ended up with quite a big crack.

I'm still waiting for it to get fixed. Damn insurance took 1.5 weeks to approve the damage, last week my Kawa dealer ordered the parts, and hopefully he'll have it repaired early coming week. So yeah, my first bike drop will probably end up costing me 3 weeks without a bike.
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #13
komohana

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
....I tried to catch it but it leveraged my feet off the ground .I flipped over the top and landed next to it between the bike and the wall ....
damm eric i got the full visual of yer incident!

do you folks put the bike in gear or in neutral on its side or center stand?
i have these small, light weight plastic chocks that i put in front of the front tire when i have it on the center stand. the unit i rent has my neighbor and i splitting a covered area between the homes for garage space. he has 3 kids and am paranoid they'll knock over the bike off its center stand and end up under that sucker.

when ever i put the bike on its side stand i have it in first gear and roll it as forward as it'll go, then lean her over and not unstraddle the bike till its on its side stand...( or try to anyway..)

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #14
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

I got caught last night. I have no garage and keep the bike under wraps on the kickstand in the driveway next to the house. While we were away last night the wind picked up and actually blew the Ninja over onto its right side. It was on the ground when we got home. In the dark I picked it up and inspected with a light. Nothing seriously damaged but I need to check for scratchs this morning. My guess it that the new cover I put on yesterday dramatically increased the bike's lateral wind resistance and over she went. I guess I'll need some tie downs or a bigger anchor
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #15
Elfling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Becca

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ninja 250, 02 CBR600 f4i

D'oh! I'm dreading the first time I drop a bike, especially considering there are 3 bikes in my garage and 2 of them are a) new and b) not mine.
Elfling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #16
Ramen
Frak It

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
I got caught last night. I have no garage and keep the bike under wraps on the kickstand in the driveway next to the house. While we were away last night the wind picked up and actually blew the Ninja over onto its right side. It was on the ground when we got home. In the dark I picked it up and inspected with a light. Nothing seriously damaged but I need to check for scratchs this morning. My guess it that the new cover I put on yesterday dramatically increased the bike's lateral wind resistance and over she went. I guess I'll need some tie downs or a bigger anchor
Yikes! Do you turn the handlebars all the way to the left when you leave the bike parked? That's the best way to ensure the bike doesn't take a tumble.
Ramen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #17
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfling View Post
D'oh! I'm dreading the first time I drop a bike, especially considering there are 3 bikes in my garage and 2 of them are a) new and b) not mine.
Everyone drops sooner or later ... it's a fact of life.
I remember when I dropped mine, about 2 weeks after I bought it. I used to park it in the living room (yeah, I know...) and had to roll out the front door and down a short ramp. Well, I hit the ramp wrong and DOWN we went. dented up the throttle side exhaust and scuffed the paint on the rear fairing a tiny bit. Damn near made me cry ...
The main thing being, don't let it stop you or slow you down ... keep on riding regardless of dropsees
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #18
ARF07
ninjette.org member

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6

Glad to hear you and the bike are ok Andy! I'll make a mental note to be careful next time mine is up on the rear stand
ARF07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #19
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Don't worry. Everyone does it. It's how you learn. But, the secret is this: when you drop your bike, don't tell anyone.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #20
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I dropped my son's 1000 the second day he had it. I was checking the tire pressure and as I moved the bike forward I didn't check to make sure the kickstand was still all the way down (it wasn't). All I can say is that it was good I did it instead of him.

Old May 16th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #21
kazam58

Ah, and all the stories come out, lol. Dropping a bike does seem like an eventuality. The eventuality we all try to avoid is crashing the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodE-E View Post
When my Ninja fell over for the first time, it fell on its right side, on a sidewalk, so that it didn't land on the handlebars, but only on the body. Since that's only made of plastic, it ended up with quite a big crack.

I'm still waiting for it to get fixed. Damn insurance took 1.5 weeks to approve the damage, last week my Kawa dealer ordered the parts, and hopefully he'll have it repaired early coming week. So yeah, my first bike drop will probably end up costing me 3 weeks without a bike.
Damn, I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully you'll get her fixed up and running soon enough, it'll be worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Everyone drops sooner or later ... it's a fact of life.
I remember when I dropped mine, about 2 weeks after I bought it. I used to park it in the living room (yeah, I know...) and had to roll out the front door and down a short ramp. Well, I hit the ramp wrong and DOWN we went. dented up the throttle side exhaust and scuffed the paint on the rear fairing a tiny bit. Damn near made me cry ...
lol, I know how that feels. Since the bike actually fell on me I had a bit more of a panic/racing heartbeat reaction because what I think was the swingarm trapped my foot pretty good at first. After I slid out I wanted to cry...till I saw there was no damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purspeed View Post
Don't worry. Everyone does it. It's how you learn. But, the secret is this: when you drop your bike, don't tell anyone.
I figure I can trust you guys...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I dropped my son's 1000 the second day he had it. I was checking the tire pressure and as I moved the bike forward I didn't check to make sure the kickstand was still all the way down (it wasn't). All I can say is that it was good I did it instead of him.
Why's that? Did you buy it for him? If my dad dropped my bike I'd be fuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
That's an interesting point which I'm glad you brought up. I'm planning on bringing my bike to school in the fall and it'll be parked outside all the time, and I wanted to cover it up. I'll have to figure out something extra secure now...

Old May 16th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #22
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

I laid my brand new baby down twice at the MSF class, once on a slow sharp right turn and once making a tight U-turn to the right. How I managed to finish at the top of my class I'll never know.

I also broke and cracked my rear fairing while installing my fender eliminator and the bike only had 4 miles on the ODO. GRR!!

Old May 17th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #23
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I was fooling around in the garage last night . I was fixing a lawn mower . I had to straighten the deck on the mower with a hammer.My big hammer was in the house so I was trying to bend steel with a little hammer .It slipped and skipped across the floor and hit my bike . Put a small ding in my Yoshi muffler. I am so pissed . That is more damage than my VFR took falling over.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #24
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazam58 View Post
Why's that? Did you buy it for him? If my dad dropped my bike I'd be fuming.

Yes I bought it for him, he's only 16. When I drop it, I fix it, if he drops it I scream at him ( I have NEVER screamed at myself, even if I deserved it).

Old May 19th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #25
djindia23
Ride or Die Ninja

Name: Kichu

Motorcycle(s): Blue Ninja 250R (the fastest color)

oscar thats hilarious.... if my dad dropped my bike i think id be pissed but i wouldnt be able to yell at him either since he is my father but he hasnt rode a bike since he was young soo he stays away from it... but i have dropped my bike in my drive way... i have a downward slanting hill driveway soo as i was coming out the garage and turning the bike around, i ended up a little off balance... tried to get my footing down right but just lost it... but dropped the bike really slowly... just a few minor scratches nothing major... just hopin not to crash the bike ya know??? everyone be safe out there...
djindia23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #26
kazam58

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Yes I bought it for him, he's only 16. When I drop it, I fix it, if he drops it I scream at him ( I have NEVER screamed at myself, even if I deserved it).
Dads...they're all the same.
I'm impressed, 16 and he's on a liter bike. That's a lotta faith you've got in him I wish my dad was actually into motorcycles and got me into the hobby at an early age. The only thing I've never forgiven my parents for is living in a state without any damn racetracks nearby, not even for go-karts, while much of our lives revolve around cars and going fast. I'm looking forward to getting out of here and getting in some track days with all sorts of machines. The few times I've been on go-karts it seemed promising...hopefully it's not too late to learn how to race something well.

Old May 19th, 2009, 08:43 PM   #27
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Quote:
I'm impressed, 16 and he's on a liter bike. That's a lotta faith you've got in him I wish my dad was actually into motorcycles and got me into the hobby at an early age. The only thing I've never forgiven my parents for is living in a state without any damn racetracks nearby, not even for go-karts, while much of our lives revolve around cars and going fast. I'm looking forward to getting out of here and getting in some track days with all sorts of machines. The few times I've been on go-karts it seemed promising...hopefully it's not too late to learn how to race something well.
Andy - you will have to excuse the OldGuy for responding but last October my Mom died and that left me the elder of the family. There are a lot of things we did/didn't do as a family and I thought my world had ended.

But I remember my dad telling me many years ago that he may not leave us a lot of money put he would leave us his good name, the ability to tell right from wrong, and to value the friendships and relations you make with people. Never ever miss the chance to tell your parents that you love them - all too soon you wont be able to do it other than in a prayer.

Old May 20th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #28
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
I'm impressed, 16 and he's on a liter bike. That's a lotta faith you've got in him
The kid has been riding for 13 years. He is pretty good in a go-cart too.

Old May 20th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #29
kazam58

^Lucky kid

Oldguy, I think you read too far into what I was saying. I meant what I said in a much more humorous fashion than I think you interpreted it. However, thanks for the lesson, and I'm sorry for your loss. I actually get along with my parents really well and I do let them know they're appreciated from time to time. My parents have been through a lot and sacrificed a lot to let me and my brother be where we are now. They escaped as political refugees about 20 years ago from the Czech Republic and moved to the US with absolutely nothing and knowing only a little bit of English. I have great respect for them.
Even if I had grown up by a track, I'm sure it wouldn't have gotten me anywhere, as very few people race cars/bikes for a living, and chances are, I wouldn't have the talent, lol. This fall I'll actually be relatively close to Watkins Glen, I plan on getting a few track days in then to see how I'll do.