ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 13th, 2019, 06:17 AM   #1
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Starter Motor Brushes Hanging By A Thread

Past couple of days I've been having an harder time starting my bike, to the point where I'd carry a long 1/4 inch ratchet with a 10mm so I could either wiggle the nut on my starter motor that holds down the + battery wire (I have no idea how I figured this out)

Then it just stopped working. Click but no crank. Multimeter shows battery wire no resistance, from the battery to the end of the positive battery wire I'm getting 12.5ish volts. No corrosion, but I cleaned the terminals and anything where metal touched metal. No dice.

So I took the starter motor off (which is kind of a pain in the ass to get to) and disassembled it, and found one of the brushes were barely hanging on to the bolt, which is why it wasn't cranking.

Anyway I soldered it back together, reassembled everything, and now I've got crankage again.

Is soldering this back together good enough to keep my starter motor, or should I be looking to buy another starter motor? Do they sell the brushes aftermarket, specifically the brush with the bolt attachment?
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2019, 06:36 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Soldering may not be a long term solution, depending on how hot it gets in use. I'd buy new brushes. A Google search turns up inexpensive repair parts like this, but I haven't verified correct fit, etc..

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Repai.../dp/B076ZS672F
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2019, 06:47 AM   #3
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Soldering may not be a long term solution, depending on how hot it gets in use. I'd buy new brushes. A Google search turns up inexpensive repair parts like this, but I haven't verified correct fit, etc..

https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Repai.../dp/B076ZS672F
The link looks promising. Seems like the whole brush housing parts are plentiful. Looking up part numbers the pre gens and new gens have the same starter motor part number, so in theory this part should work.
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote