Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Notices

Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:29 AM   #1
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

CA peeps, Hows this route???

My wonderful girlfriend and I are going to CA in a month and i have rented a BMW 1200RT for 4 days. Now, i know theres a ton of awesome roads and things to do etc etc but i only have 4 days, so this is what i have planned. Time wise i think its pretty tight, so unless there is something that you locals think is a MUST, how does this look?

http://mapq.st/2-HJonFlir

First night when we fly in we will just take it easy and head up to visalia for the night. Its a couple hour ride, so i didnt really plan to go off and explore. I figured we would go to dinner in the LA area with my friend, then off to the hotel to get some good rest from our flight and prepare for the road trip.

The second day it says 8- hours, and by my experience, that shapes up to a 12 hour or so riding day. But thats us going through the sierra mountains, stop in fresno for lunch, then to mariposa and yosemite. I dont plan on doing much stopping and hiking, aside from maybe once in mariposa to check out the general or whatever that tree is called. I know theres so many things to do, but time is against me, and who knows the next time ill be out that way. (Im 29 and its our first time to CA, this is our first real vacation in over 3 years) We have done numerous 8 hour bike days back to back when we went up to Maine and such on my ninja 1000. Hoping the RT is the same or more comfortable, but we can do the saddle time for sure. I know these are seaonsal roads, but looking back through the years they seem to be open until mid or late novemeber. Perfect for us, we will be there the first week. We have overpants and all that jazz to ride around when its 40 or so. Wont be the first time.

Does this seem doable? Should i scrap the sirrea mountains, this give a 5 hour trip, more time for hiking and what not. I figured it may be worth the extra time, not sure. Were in modesto area for the night here. The hotels are already booked fyi, so cant really change things up too much.

The 3rd day i made a bit more relaxing, i was going to go to sacrmento for brunch, walk around for an hour or so, then ride through napa valley. Go to a wine tasting or 2, then do across the golden gate bridge and into San Fran for dinner, and walk around for a couple hours. Were staying around Carmel for the night, so only a quick ride south after san fran.

4th day i wanted to just ride Rt 1 all the way to LA again. We have a house rental for 8 nights in anaheim heights, so thats our destination. I know theres a TON of nice roads off Rt 1, but this looks to be a fairly long day, so a bunch of side stops would prob put us overtime. But again, if theres something you guys know, spill it because i have no clue. This is more a trip to remember for years to come, not really a canyon carving type trip. I want her to enjoy it as much as me, and Rt 1 is always in the top roads to travel. It will be during a weekday, so hopefully traffic wont be too bad for the majority of the day.

What do you guys think? I know theres a ton of CA people and Nevada Wolf has been all over the place. I wanted to hit death valley on the first day but i dont think the time is there.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:45 AM   #2
Ausoi
ninjette.org member

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2008 (Black) Kawasaki Ninja 250R

If you are gonna be in Sacramento you should try Foresthill Road, all the local guys ride it and it has the third largest bridge in the USA? Also ride mosquito ridge? I've never taken it but I hear it's awesome.

Here's a link: http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/11...idge-Road.html
Ausoi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:54 AM   #3
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Best road I've been on in dirty Cali is Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd. If you take that up to Coast Ridge Trail then to Plaskett Ridge Rd. you'll have the most beautiful ride in all of dirty Cali. It's a loop off of RT 1 (Pacific Coast Highway). Believe me you never forget the ride.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:08 AM   #4
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Best road I've been on in dirty Cali is Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd. If you take that up to Coast Ridge Trail then to Plaskett Ridge Rd. you'll have the most beautiful ride in all of dirty Cali. It's a loop off of RT 1 (Pacific Coast Highway). Believe me you never forget the ride.
any detail on where along rt 1 this is? I tried to search plaskett ridge rd in mapquest and nothing came up. same with fergusson rd.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:48 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

It's in Big Sur, right across from Kirk Creek campground.

search google maps for: Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd, Big Sur, CA 93920

Staying on 1 all the way up is certainly doable, but it's a slow ride for much of it depending on time of day/week and one's comfort in passing the endless stream of RV's.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It's in Big Sur, right across from Kirk Creek campground.

search google maps for: Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd, Big Sur, CA 93920

Staying on 1 all the way up is certainly doable, but it's a slow ride for much of it depending on time of day/week and one's comfort in passing the endless stream of RV's.
It will be on a tuesday, early november. Wasnt sure how busy it would be. My gf is not opposed to passing...ill look it up now.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 12:43 PM   #7
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Re: heading north out of Sac to Auburn and Foresthill Road/Mosquito Ridge Road, that is more than likely a bit far out of the way to add on. Definitely a goal to ride it, but not much of a quick side trip in the middle of a busy day.

Definitely keep an eye on the road conditions in Yosemite Park. Tioga Pass closed last weekend due to snow and we got dumped on with rain coming up out of the Valley down towards Groveland. The Ranger warned me that their roads get very slick when wet (though not sure if its normal slick, or their roads have something unique that makes them uber slick - either way, we rode slow and careful).

I'd help more, but not too familiar with that area so... I'll just be waiting for the report.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #8
APEmike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300

You are passing right by one of the best and most famous roads in SoCal! Check out highway 2, Angeles Crest Highway. It cuts through the mountains above LA. Its a longer way around however you get to go around the grapevine and end up going through Tehachapi. We have a HUGE windmill farm, and the world famous Tehachapi loop. Both are VERY scenic. To minimize time, and maximize fun take highway 2 all the way up into the mountains, pick up Angeles Forest Highway to Palmdale, take the 14 freeway to Rosamond, Rosamond Blvd West untill Tehachapi-Willow Springs road, and take that aaaaaaaallllllll the way to Tehachapi. From there there is another road that takes you to a scenic overlook of the Tehachapi Loop. I took your map and added the changes. Also, if you go through Rosamond in the daytime you will pass by Willow Springs Raceway, a historic race track and they almost allways have something going on.

http://www.mapquest.com/?le=t&hk=2-H...5385f69367c168

P.S. Mapquest can get you lost in a hurry. I recommend Google.
APEmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #9
Bigballsofpaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEmike View Post
You are passing right by one of the best and most famous roads in SoCal! Check out highway 2, Angeles Crest Highway. It cuts through the mountains above LA. Its a longer way around however you get to go around the grapevine and end up going through Tehachapi. We have a HUGE windmill farm, and the world famous Tehachapi loop. Both are VERY scenic. To minimize time, and maximize fun take highway 2 all the way up into the mountains, pick up Angeles Forest Highway to Palmdale, take the 14 freeway to Rosamond, Rosamond Blvd West untill Tehachapi-Willow Springs road, and take that aaaaaaaallllllll the way to Tehachapi. From there there is another road that takes you to a scenic overlook of the Tehachapi Loop. I took your map and added the changes. Also, if you go through Rosamond in the daytime you will pass by Willow Springs Raceway, a historic race track and they almost allways have something going on.

http://www.mapquest.com/?le=t&hk=2-H...5385f69367c168

P.S. Mapquest can get you lost in a hurry. I recommend Google.
I found Rt 2, depending on when we land and get squared away that may be an option. But the map you posted is the same one i had, no changes made.

Old November 18th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #10
Bigballsofpaint

Figure i would update this. I will make a full post with pictures at some point but we did the route basically the same as what i posted orgininally. I didnt visit kings canyon though, nor did we hit angel crest. But we went to yosemite, across napa valley and down the PCH in 3.5 days and 1250 miles. Averaged 10 hours a day on the bike, usually leaving ay 7-8 am, and at the hotel for 9-10. Had a blast, not a big fan on the RT but i will more then likely end up with one for 2-up riding only. My ninja 1000 is boat loads more fun but after 4 or 5 hours on it together she wants off.

But ill save that stuff for an in depth review. She went from crying and having "the worst vacation ever" to it being the best part of the trip and now were engaged. Didnt drop the bike and even did some LA lane splitting to beat that redonkulous traffic.

Old November 30th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #12
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
Figure i would update this. I will make a full post with pictures at some point but we did the route basically the same as what i posted orgininally. I didnt visit kings canyon though, nor did we hit angel crest. But we went to yosemite, across napa valley and down the PCH in 3.5 days and 1250 miles. Averaged 10 hours a day on the bike, usually leaving ay 7-8 am, and at the hotel for 9-10. Had a blast, not a big fan on the RT but i will more then likely end up with one for 2-up riding only. My ninja 1000 is boat loads more fun but after 4 or 5 hours on it together she wants off.

But ill save that stuff for an in depth review. She went from crying and having "the worst vacation ever" to it being the best part of the trip and now were engaged. Didnt drop the bike and even did some LA lane splitting to beat that redonkulous traffic.
Let's hear about the crying and worst vacation stuff!

Old November 30th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #13
Bigballsofpaint

HA!

OK then, we landed and all that jazz in LA and my friends took us to pick the bike up. They snuck the engagement ring over so my g/f wouldnt find it. We got there and the BMW is not what i imagined. Specs show it as the same weight as my Ninja 1000, but it was surely bigger. It felt it too. Specs show it having the same power, but it def felt slower too. Whatever, i had saddle bags and a top case. So she went to change and put her moto gear on, i packed the bike and did the swap to hide the ring with our stuff. Drove the bike around the parking lot, it was going to take some getting use to for sure. I felt i needed to give it way more gas than i should to get it moving, this never got better. I got use to it, but i just didnt like it. The motor feels, wierd i guess. But i never rode a beamer. It did what it was made to do though, it was super comfy for the 2 of us. We spent 10 hours on average a day on it and did 1300 miles in the 3.5 days. Not bad for maybe 4 hours of freeway total i guess. The windshield, heated seat, heated grips, and active suspension are the reasons i would buy this bike. I would never use it as a commuter, only for 2 up stuff where we planned on riding for 4+ hours. But when the time comes i may try a few other bikes as well, i just didnt fall in love with it. Also, as glad as i am that we can rent bikes all over, for almost 200 a day, plus you NEED to buy the insurance (or put 3,000 down "just in case") was rediculous. I ended up getting the insurance and had to put 1,000 on hold. My insurance would cover me for the rental, but i didnt have 3,000 to spare on my credit card. Oh well, we didnt drop it (almost did once), and didnt get hit during lane splitting in LA traffic so it worked out.

Now for the actual ride, after we left LA this was my route (remember my plan was to avoid highway) http://mapq.st/1FI1uTk
So after waking up at 5am for our plane, then flying 6 hours, now being 3 hours behind off we go. We stopped and ate mexican around the filmore area and it was pretty good. But by the time we were finished it was dark. No worried, i still know my route. But at this point she got mad, the day was already long and she wanted to just get to the hotel and sleep. Oh well, were already this far, why turn around. The los padres moutains were pretty awesome, but no cell reception, it being night and me not knowing the area made it a bit challenging. Oh ya, it got pretty cold out there at night, and it was a little rainy at time. It was at this point that CC's favorite part happened. She started crying and saying how miserable she was. We had 3 hours left to go! We pulled over to put our overpants and extra jackets on and a nice couple stopped to see if we were alright. My gf decided i was a moron and that she wanted to find the closest hotel, i wasnt going to argue with her. There was no cell service out there in the mountains, so we said goodbye and headed off in the same direction i was going anyway. We got to a gas station and had service so she started looking at hotels. Closest one we found was in bakersfield, so about an hour less than i had planned before, not too bad. My main worry was how much is would us up for the following day.

So shes still cold (im OK) and we head off from the gas station, it was still alittle wet out but no big deal. Apparently the police officer thought differently....a few miles after getting gas he got me going 75 in a 55 ( i really had no idea what the speed limit was, its not posted very often out there). He was coming the other way, turned around, and then caught up to me at a light. Megaphoned me to pull into the gas station next to us. I pulled over, told my gf were getting stopped and her wonderful night just got even better (we have SENA's). I stay on the bike but shut it off (this is now my second time getting pulled over ever, so i know the routine haha) License and registration, heres my license but sorry officer, its a rental so i dont have the reg. He tells me he puled me for 75 in a 55 and at that point my gf blurts out, "where are the speed limits, we never see them). At that point he tells me where 3 are, one which was ahead of me, one going the other way (really, so neither one helps) but one must have been 3 miles back. I think this was on 119, because it was just a straight road for miles. He goes back to the car and does his thing and came back. Now shes crying (again) and just saying she just wants to get the hotel. He must have felt bad for me, he told me that its wet out and i should slow down because motorcycles arent as good in the wet. I told him thanks i know, and he gave us directions to the hotel. We had maybe another 30 min to an hour to go, the rest was uneventful. Got to the room and said she wants to go home, whoopy. This is going to be a good few days, and im supposed to ask her to marry me? PSH! I told her calm the hell down, we will wake up at 7 and it will get better from here.

These are really the only pics i have for this day when we picked the bike up. Since it was night i didnt take pictures.

Old February 9th, 2021, 12:10 AM   #14
Rapidroach1
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 & 300

If you have time try Highway 49...start in Oakhurst and head north, you'll pass through lots of small towns....it's a great ride
Rapidroach1 is offline   Reply With Quote