ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Notices

Old April 10th, 2018, 08:44 AM   #1
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Road Rage

Graphic evidence of why you should never confront a driver when on a cycle -

http://6abc.com/car-rams-motorcyclis...ident/3320656/

I wonder how the rider is. Didn't look good.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2018, 10:05 AM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
WOOWWW!!! Holy crap that's some perspective.

Notice how the driver not only swerved, but braked noticeably AFTER making hard contact? And then notice how far the rider got dragged along after coming off the bike? Driver was going for the kill to inflict damage, not just a bump.

I hope the rider is okay.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2018, 10:31 AM   #3
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

the end of the very short accompanying write-up said that the police were sharing this video hoping it will help them identify the suspect.

does that mean the car shooting this video didn't bother to identify the Mazda after seeing this happen? they just allowed the Mazda to drive away without getting a shot of the license plate? that's some bad luck.

But, yeah, I would never "confront while riding." Today in American there are way too many people absolutely on the very edge of exploding (hate the traffic, hate their job, hate their spouse, hate the country, hate you).
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 10th, 2018, 10:40 AM   #4
Burphel
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Bonneville, Ninja 300

Am I the only one who was expecting video replays of Marquez from this weekend?

Old April 10th, 2018, 11:30 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
the end of the very short accompanying write-up said that the police were sharing this video hoping it will help them identify the suspect.

does that mean the car shooting this video didn't bother to identify the Mazda after seeing this happen? they just allowed the Mazda to drive away without getting a shot of the license plate? that's some bad luck.

But, yeah, I would never "confront while riding." Today in American there are way too many people absolutely on the very edge of exploding (hate the traffic, hate their job, hate their spouse, hate the country, hate you).
I thought of that too, but I think you are better off stopping to help the injured rider than trying to catch the car.

You'd think that Mazda might have passed the video car at some point that would allow the plate to be read.

Looks like Attempted Murder, or something like that, to me.

Old April 10th, 2018, 01:01 PM   #6
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

attempted vehicular homicide

Any thoughts I have ever had about confronting a cager on my motorcycle quickly went away when I went "back" to riding a 250. You can barely outrun a Geo metro!

....and its stupid.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2018, 06:22 PM   #7
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post

These days you could be driving a Humvee and be dodging 9mm bullets. Easy on the middle finger everybody.

Bill

Last futzed with by Ram Jet; April 10th, 2018 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2018, 05:34 PM   #8
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

Wow, that happened in Florida. I usually don't bother with stupid drivers. I usually am wearing a sidearm. Many folks carry in Florida especially the retired. I guess if you are going to risk confrontation you might as well go all the way.
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2018, 06:11 PM   #9
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
In that scenario I'm not sure pack'n heat would have helped. Everyone seems quick to judge, could be the biker was threatening the car driver before the video started, maybe an ex or someone with a restraining order or any number of reasons to fear the biker.

Old April 11th, 2018, 06:51 PM   #10
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): Harley Fatboy, Honda CX500, Harley XL1200C Sportster, 305 Honda Dream, Ninja 250

Carrying a gun brings a higher level of restraint. Like I said I don't get involved with stupid drivers. When in doubt power out has more uses then getting around a turn.

Old April 11th, 2018, 07:48 PM   #11
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Racer View Post
Wow, that happened in Florida. I usually don't bother with stupid drivers. I usually am wearing a sidearm. Many folks carry in Florida especially the retired. I guess if you are going to risk confrontation you might as well go all the way.
I would strongly recommend that you read a book titled "In The Gravest Extreme" if you decide to conceal carry.

Bill

Old April 11th, 2018, 10:14 PM   #12
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I'm not confronting a cager, either. Too many crazy people out there. Not worth it. I'll curse at them in my head, but my own safety is more important than messing with them.

Here? I'd have taken note of the offending car's plate and given that to the cops.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2018, 06:36 AM   #13
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Ramjet thanks, but I know the gun laws in the states I travel through. I have answered the guestion, "would you use a gun to defend yourself or your friends", in the affirmative, without unnecessary delay.
I will not be a victim, nor be intimidated by lawlessness.

Remember when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Old April 12th, 2018, 09:12 AM   #14
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Racer View Post
Ramjet thanks, but I know the gun laws in the states I travel through. I have answered the guestion, "would you use a gun to defend yourself or your friends", in the affirmative, without unnecessary delay.
I will not be a victim, nor be intimidated by lawlessness.

Remember when seconds count the police are only minutes away.
Just make sure you have $10-20,000 cash on hand to fight a frivolous lawsuit. You may lay the jerk to rest but the family will want a piece of you.

In the end you're right. Better judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Bill

Old April 12th, 2018, 11:52 AM   #15
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Update - http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-...-rage-arrested

No license, didn't own the car, in the U.S. Illegally...

Sounds like the rider is OK, surprisingly.

Old April 12th, 2018, 12:20 PM   #16
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
"48 hour hold so ICE can decide if he will be deported" !!

glad the rider is OK!

Old April 15th, 2018, 05:06 AM   #17
Cafe Racer
ninjette.org member

Thanks rkv, good to know they got the guy.
Interesting the motorcycle driver got ticketed for no registration and reckless driving.
Deport the illegal and fine the dumbass motorcycle driver. If he did not have his motorcycle registered maybe he did not have insurance. I can only hope his bike got destroyed with no insurance money coming his way.

Old April 15th, 2018, 06:16 AM   #18
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Very glad to hear the rider is ok!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 15th, 2018, 07:39 AM   #19
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
This sounds like it might be a case where the cycle rider provoked the incident by riding aggressively, and got more than he bargained for when he confronted a driver with not much to lose.

Riding aggressively and not being courteous will catch up with you when you eventually cross paths with the wrong person.

Old April 15th, 2018, 07:53 AM   #20
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Lesson: A motorcycle is no match for a cager.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2018, 07:38 PM   #21
jcgss77
Its not a 250,its a Ninja

Name: Shaun

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja Kaw, '22 CFMOTO 300NK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Update - http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-...-rage-arrested

No license, didn't own the car, in the U.S. Illegally...

Sounds like the rider is OK, surprisingly.
The icing on the cake is the Sheriff said that the country needs immigration reform so we don't need to worry about illegals breaking the law.

The funny thing is he is a part of law enforcement, and doesn't even know that we do indeed have laws about this-illegals are supposed to be deported, for being here with no legal backing constitutes the status of an illegal immigrant. Or should I say the sad thing is?

Quote:
This sounds like it might be a case where the cycle rider provoked the incident by riding aggressively, and got more than he bargained for when he confronted a driver with not much to lose.

Riding aggressively and not being courteous will catch up with you when you eventually cross paths with the wrong person.
This.

We really don't need more people riding like idiots to give us who are respectful, obey traffic laws, etc. targets on our backs. And don't think for a second that people aren't thinking about the last jerk on a bike that almost wrecked them when they see us on our bikes.
jcgss77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2018, 06:05 AM   #22
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Drivers can be easily provoked by very little.

A couple days ago I was riding the SV home from work (4 lanes, 35 mph) when a lady comes from a side street into my lane for no reason. Her lane (inside) was clear, but she chose to go wide into the lane I was in as I was approaching.

I saw it unfolding, and slowed, so no drama, but I decided to beep the horn to possibly wake her up. She immediately shows me "the finger" out the window and starts gesturing wildly. I backed off more to make sure I stayed behind until she eventually turned off.

She was clearly at fault, yet reacted obnoxiously (possibly aggressively) when called on it.

I just shook my head...

Old May 2nd, 2018, 06:33 AM   #23
Ram Jet

Quote:
Drivers can be easily provoked by very little.

A couple days ago I was riding the SV home from work (4 lanes, 35 mph) when a lady comes from a side street into my lane for no reason. Her lane (inside) was clear, but she chose to go wide into the lane I was in as I was approaching.

I saw it unfolding, and slowed, so no drama, but I decided to beep the horn to possibly wake her up. She immediately shows me "the finger" out the window and starts gesturing wildly. I backed off more to make sure I stayed behind until she eventually turned off.

She was clearly at fault, yet reacted obnoxiously (possibly aggressively) when called on it.

I just shook my head...
A friend of mine's mother flipped-off a truck driver once and the truck driver followed her home. I don't recall the outcome. Be very, very careful with the middle finger. Some drivers carry a .357 revolver or whatever. A pistol was used in a road rage incident in California not too long ago.

Bill

Old May 2nd, 2018, 06:43 AM   #24
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
A friend of mine's mother flipped-off a truck driver once and the truck driver followed her home. I don't recall the outcome. Be very, very careful with the middle finger. Some drivers carry a .357 revolver or whatever. A pistol was used in a road rage incident in California not too long ago.

Bill
Some riders do too.

Hopefully it never gets to that point. You need to show you have done everything possible to avoid a lethal confrontation before deciding to draw or use your weapon.

I never use "the finger", and didn't return the insult when given to me by the driver.

A local cycle shop has a T-shirt hanging that says "Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving motorcycle". Cracks me up every time...

Old May 2nd, 2018, 07:34 AM   #25
Ram Jet

Quote:
Some riders do too.

Hopefully it never gets to that point. You need to show you have done everything possible to avoid a lethal confrontation before deciding to draw or use your weapon.

I never use "the finger", and didn't return the insult when given to me by the driver.

A local cycle shop has a T-shirt hanging that says "Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving motorcycle". Cracks me up every time...
Self defense is the ONLY justifiable reason to draw a weapon.

Good idea - forget the middle finger - you have nothing to prove to someone you've never seen before and will probably never see again.

That T-shirt is kinda funny - kinda.

Bill

Old May 2nd, 2018, 07:49 AM   #26
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Self defense is the ONLY justifiable reason to draw a weapon.
Technically, by the law in some states, there are other reasons that can warrant the use of deadly force besides actual "self defense".

In reality, and in a court of law, the law may not be enough to be acquitted of any charges.

Old May 2nd, 2018, 08:25 AM   #27
Ram Jet

Quote:
Technically, by the law in some states, there are other reasons that can warrant the use of deadly force besides actual "self defense".

In reality, and in a court of law, the law may not be enough to be acquitted of any charges.
Well, this is a motorcycle website but since we hit upon this topic you'll learn everything you need to know about firearms and self defense in a book titled "In The Gravest Extreme".

About the court thing jkv - agreed.

Bill

Old May 2nd, 2018, 09:52 AM   #28
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Well, this is a motorcycle website but since we hit upon this topic you'll learn everything you need to know about firearms and self defense in a book titled "In The Gravest Extreme".

About the court thing jkv - agreed.

Bill
Yup. Read it.

I do apologize for getting a bit off topic, but when dealing with Road Rage the need to defend yourself could easily arise.

It's amazing how quickly a minor altercation can escalate when just driving around.

Old May 2nd, 2018, 10:10 AM   #29
mgentz
Board Member

Quote:
Yup. Read it.

I do apologize for getting a bit off topic, but when dealing with Road Rage the need to defend yourself could easily arise.

It's amazing how quickly a minor altercation can escalate when just driving around.
OK...I have read enough of the "gun debate" threads to simply put this thought out there:

Since when did everyone become so entitled? This must be my piece of road because I am driving on it - F* you. You must give me ______ because I deserve it. Everyone should have the same. Everyone should be able to do what they want. Even if you dont do sh**, you think the government owes you for being alive?

This kind of entitlement and stupidity helps to increase the amount of road rage these days. Even if your driving along, texting, smoking, chewing and getting a hummer, its that other driver that was to blame wasnt it? Now I'm pissed because that jerk didnt watch out for me!

Old May 2nd, 2018, 10:53 AM   #30
CaliGrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentz View Post
Since when did everyone become so entitled?
I'm with you. There is something weird about getting behind the wheel of a car. I noticed it when I was doing a *lot* of bicycling, then got back in the car. I felt a literal wave of aggression at some other idiot on the road who did something stupid and tried to crash me. The voice in my head was saying "Oh, no, you don't!!!!"

And I'm *not* an aggressive driver, on the whole. Like anybody I have my moments, but probably 95% of the time, I'm the one who backs off to avoid confrontation and collision.

Old May 2nd, 2018, 11:15 AM   #31
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
It is funny how riding a bicycle makes you become aware of your own inner road rage. Even if you don’t express it outwardly. You suddenly notice how angry people get when driving.
Automobiles seem to make people become separated from reality.

When I began cycling in traffic many years ago. I remember someone saying you would not shove an old woman out of your way in the grocery store . Why do you want to run her off the road because she is not driving fast enough for you?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 11:41 AM   #32
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
OK...I have read enough of the "gun debate" threads to simply put this thought out there:

Since when did everyone become so entitled? This must be my piece of road because I am driving on it - F* you. You must give me ______ because I deserve it. Everyone should have the same. Everyone should be able to do what they want. Even if you dont do sh**, you think the government owes you for being alive?

This kind of entitlement and stupidity helps to increase the amount of road rage these days. Even if your driving along, texting, smoking, chewing and getting a hummer, its that other driver that was to blame wasnt it? Now I'm pissed because that jerk didnt watch out for me!
What debate?

Old May 2nd, 2018, 12:06 PM   #33
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
I'm with you. There is something weird about getting behind the wheel of a car. I noticed it when I was doing a *lot* of bicycling, then got back in the car. I felt a literal wave of aggression at some other idiot on the road who did something stupid and tried to crash me. The voice in my head was saying "Oh, no, you don't!!!!"

And I'm *not* an aggressive driver, on the whole. Like anybody I have my moments, but probably 95% of the time, I'm the one who backs off to avoid confrontation and collision.
And for that you will live a long and happy life. Proud of you!

Bill

Old May 2nd, 2018, 12:12 PM   #34
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
It is funny how riding a bicycle makes you become aware of your own inner road rage. Even if you don’t express it outwardly. You suddenly notice how angry people get when driving.

When I began cycling in traffic many years ago. I remember someone saying you would not shove an old woman out of your way in the grocery store . Why do you want to run her off the road because she is not driving fast enough for you?
Reminds me of that Nilsson song "Driving Along".

https://genius.com/Harry-nilsson-driving-along-lyrics

Bill

Old May 2nd, 2018, 12:41 PM   #35
mgentz
Board Member

Quote:
What debate?
Quote:
Yup. Read it.

This is not the first thread that that book, the costs, the emotions or other thoughts have come up in.

Overall, I agree with CaliGirl. There is something about driving/cars that just upset people.

Old May 2nd, 2018, 03:19 PM   #36
Ram Jet

Quote:
This is not the first thread that that book, the costs, the emotions or other thoughts have come up in.

Overall, I agree with CaliGirl. There is something about driving/cars that just upset people.
I suggest you get an Alfa Romeo Duetto Spyder, an MGA/B, Triumph Spitfire and you'll have a permanent smile frozen on your face on the road. And you'll be very respectful of the guy in the SUV or pick-up who could suck you into his air filter.

Bill

Old May 2nd, 2018, 03:23 PM   #37
mgentz
Board Member

Quote:
I suggest you get an Alfa Romeo Duetto Spyder, an MGA/B, Triumph Spitfire and you'll have a permanent smile frozen on your face on the road. And you'll be very respectful of the guy in the SUV or pick-up who could suck you into his air filter.

Bill
There is that.

Old May 2nd, 2018, 03:52 PM   #38
CaliGrrl

Quote:

Yep. I think it has to do with being in a little bubble inside your car. Other people are kind of ... not really real. Waving at your neighbor from inside your bubble is not the same as being out in the air on a motorcycle or a bicycle and seeing your neighbor. Heck, on a bicycle, half the time you can actually exchange greetings.

Old May 2nd, 2018, 04:47 PM   #39
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I think there was a book called “Why do pretty girls pick there noses in the car?”
I have talked to many people that grew to hate driving after they began to bicycle commute. I was car free for eight years. Only renting a van when I needed to haul stuff. I used to love driving. Now I avoid it when I can. It’s funny when you let someone go or purposely give someone a break or the right of way. They are quick to thank you and wave. That tells me that when you cut someone off or push past someone. That get angry but most just don’t bother to show it. But if people are quick to smile and wave there is emotion there. So just let em go. That’s is my
Philosophy.

Old May 2nd, 2018, 05:04 PM   #40
Ram Jet

Quote:
I think there was a book called “Why do pretty girls pick there noses in the car?”
I have talked to many people that grew to hate driving after they began to bicycle commute. I was car free for eight years. Only renting a van when I needed to haul stuff. I used to love driving. Now I avoid it when I can. It’s funny when you let someone go or purposely give someone a break or the right of way. They are quick to thank you and wave. That tells me that when you cut someone off or push past someone. That get angry but most just don’t bother to show it. But if people are quick to smile and wave there is emotion there. So just let em go. That’s is my
Philosophy.
That's one thing positive I have to say about living in Michigan. Old fashioned 1950/60s values - on the road or in a shopping mall. We even exchange"good mornings" on the street and they don't think you're gonna stick-them-up. Given time that's probably gonna change. (apologies to Alex.)

Bill

Last futzed with by Ram Jet; May 2nd, 2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote