Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old March 24th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Video of my ride from the LBS

Local bicycle shop that is.

Slower than a motorcycle, but still fun in its own right.

The bike is my Specialized Langster SS/FG. It has a flip flop hub allowing full fixed or single speed with a freewheel. I have it set up for SS because it is easier to get it going from a stop light with being able to move the pedals to the power stroke without lifting the back end.

Just trying out the handlebar mount I have never used. I normally always use the helmet strap.

Link to original page on Vimeo.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #2
ericeng91
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): Soon to be Ninja 250r

Nice bike! I don't mean to offend you or anything, but can I ask a question? What is wrong with the sidewalk that most bicyclists don't use them? You seem to ride on the edge, which is fine by me, but people in my area seem to think that their bicycle is allowed to take up an entire lane of traffic.

This doesn't really apply to areas with no sidewalk btw.

And if I haven't said this already, nice bike! Those handlebars look comfy.
ericeng91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Technically sidewalks are illegal. The law defines a bicycle as a vehicle. Therefore cyclists have to stick to the same laws as motorists. On a two lane road like the one I was on, I am allowed to take up more of the lane than I did. I can use as much room as I require without impeding traffic. I normally take up the right 3rd of the lane. If I get really far right, cars want to share the lane. That not only is illegal, I am also in danger. So I stick away from the shoulder some. Each state has it's own laws, but for the most part, bicycles are as much as a vehicle as a car or motorcycle.

I willsay I really don't like people who ride a bicycle and think the laws don't apply to them. They run red lights, blow through stop signs thinking cars should yield to them, take up too much lane, ride 3-wide, etc. So I try to lead by example.

Though I catch myself rolling through stop signs on occasion, I do try my best to stop. Normally I slow to 2 or 3 mph, check both ways, then go. That way I don't have to unclip.

The bike I was on in the video is my specialized langster. The bike is noisy because I was using the freewheel, normally I keep it in fixie mode.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2011, 09:48 PM   #4
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

How much weight have you lost??? I bet you're in great shape...

Are people trying to kill you on the bike, like on a motorcycle???
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #5
ericeng91
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): Soon to be Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Technically sidewalks are illegal. The law defines a bicycle as a vehicle. Therefore cyclists have to stick to the same laws as motorists. On a two lane road like the one I was on, I am allowed to take up more of the lane than I did. I can use as much room as I require without impeding traffic. I normally take up the right 3rd of the lane. If I get really far right, cars want to share the lane. That not only is illegal, I am also in danger. So I stick away from the shoulder some. Each state has it's own laws, but for the most part, bicycles are as much as a vehicle as a car or motorcycle.

I willsay I really don't like people who ride a bicycle and think the laws don't apply to them. They run red lights, blow through stop signs thinking cars should yield to them, take up too much lane, ride 3-wide, etc. So I try to lead by example.

Though I catch myself rolling through stop signs on occasion, I do try my best to stop. Normally I slow to 2 or 3 mph, check both ways, then go. That way I don't have to unclip.

The bike I was on in the video is my specialized langster. The bike is noisy because I was using the freewheel, normally I keep it in fixie mode.

Ohhh ok, I didn't know a bike was considered a vehicle like a car/motorcycle. But alot of people in my area do act like they don't have to obey the laws. I'm glad you feel differently.
ericeng91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Indy250r
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 KTM 990 ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeng91 View Post
Nice bike! I don't mean to offend you or anything, but can I ask a question? What is wrong with the sidewalk that most bicyclists don't use them?
That's a fair question, and it is a hotly debated question in biking circles as to weather or not to "take the lane." The problem is, people in cars will often try to "share" the lane with you if don't take it. On the other hand, most cyclists realize that people in cars don't like being held up by a bike. A lot of cities are putting in bike lanes to help with this.

Part 2 of this, regarding the sidewalk. Even if the law allows riding in the sidewalk, people who ride a lot like Apex, can easily cruise around at >20MPH, which is entirely too fast for the baby strollers and dog walkers on the sidewalk.

Also, it is a good way to get killed by people in cars turning off the main road, they tend to not check for things crossing the intersection from the side walk, and or, they may see you on the way by but they might not expect you to be going as fast as you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
How much weight have you lost??? I bet you're in great shape...

Are people trying to kill you on the bike, like on a motorcycle???
Same #1 rule as motorcycling. People in cars are trying to kill you. A lot of bicycle riding translates to motorcycle riding, especially the situational awareness needed to ride in traffic.
Indy250r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #7
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Yep yep, I can second everything that has been said thus far. It doesn't matter if you're going 5 over the speed limit, the fact that you're on a bicycle will make people want to pass you. This is, however, largely due to the fact that people assume that cyclists are insane and are completely unpredictable. To an extent this is true, a lot of cyclists really are insane and unpredictable, but these people generally go between riding on the sidewalk and the road based on conditions of vehicular/pedestrian traffic.

One thing I have found amongst the road biking community is that road bikes are designed for the road, which is why we ride there. When I commute to and from school, if there is a lot of traffic, I will sit on the left 'thirds division line' (for those of you who split your lanes into 3rds). By law, we are treated as vehicles, which means that we can take the lane. However, it is usually suggested that in 2-lanes roads you sit on the right side of the lane, and in 1 lane roads you take the lane (so as to not encourage head-on collisions when people try to share your lane). It really seems rather backwards, as you would not be impeding traffic in a 2-lane road.

I do disagree with people being out to kill you. I more see it as 30% of drivers want to kill you, 60% don't know what to do, and only 10% understand our presence and respect it.

When people ask me why I don't ride on the sidewalk (in a more defensive tone than was asked here) I generally say that it's called a sidewalk and a road-bike for a reason. Not to mention, around here, there are way too many pedestrians for me to be riding down the creased pavement at 25 miles an hour (though I suppose I should be running a brake).
leed is offline   Reply With Quote