kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:51 PM   #82
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darling Ninja View Post
That just happened to me two days ago, No joke. I really don't intend on racing anyone on my 250, but for some reason cagers seem to think that I do.
Not sure what it is about turkeys with their rusted out Civics and crappy after market mufflers always wanting to race me either. Then you have the guys in the beemers or Acuras who will go 40 km/h above the posted speed limit so they can pass you for no reason other than to look like the bigger bad ass on the street. Way to go cool guy... you da man
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:45 PM   #83
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Not sure what it is about turkeys with their rusted out Civics and crappy after market mufflers always wanting to race me either. Then you have the guys in the beemers or Acuras who will go 40 km/h above the posted speed limit so they can pass you for no reason other than to look like the bigger bad ass on the street. Way to go cool guy... you da man
I try to give the jackasses in beamers a wide birth. No problem with them passing me as long as they use a different lane to do it in. I had one that didn't.

Civics with the noisers, those guys make me laugh. They can be fun to play with sometimes as long as you don't forget that they are bigger than you are. Stay even with them a little ways so they aren't too intimidated so they don't try to run you over. Then zip past them when its clear. Alternatively, just leave them at the starting gate and send them a post card later.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:58 AM   #84
iamramekin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ramekin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

I didn't search through this whole thread because it was a few pages long, but I didn't see anyone mention this so I'll post my thoughts.

I think that the 2012 ninja is going to be the most drastic changed design we've seen in a while. Why? Competition. For the longest time the Ninja has been the top dog for the 250. So much so, people just backed out and stopped trying. Until now. Honda's new CBR250 is the same price as the Ninja, and has digital gauges, etc. Even though it's not as pretty as the ninja is It's also fuel injected. Eventually Kawi is going to have a hard time trying to convince people not to get the more featured bike, for the same price. "Looking prettier" might not convince everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I would like to see a 2012 with EFI and a digital gauges that includes a CLOCK. Oh, how I hate reaching for my cell phone at stops to see what time it is.
Kawasaki, are you listening?
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion007 View Post
A clock would make me jizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
A clock would be SO NICE. C'mon Kawasaki!

In the mean time, a 400 with an I4 or triple would be a killer replacement for the ninja 500R
If you guys are looking for a clock for your bike, check out my sig. They make awesome clocks. Or, join my channel. They are letting me give one out for free each month on my youtube channel

Here's a review of it if you're interested: http://youtu.be/iIWyxrgTV6o

Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:43 AM   #85
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

yup most people will consider the fact of a 250cbr just cause its a better commuter thats what most people pick in a 250r cuz we all know squids need more power, regular motorcyclists need practicality and very few will pick 250r vs 250cbr based on the differences in performance and looks.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:35 AM   #86
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamramekin View Post
I didn't search through this whole thread because it was a few pages long, but I didn't see anyone mention this so I'll post my thoughts.

I think that the 2012 ninja is going to be the most drastic changed design we've seen in a while. Why? Competition. For the longest time the Ninja has been the top dog for the 250. So much so, people just backed out and stopped trying. Until now. Honda's new CBR250 is the same price as the Ninja, and has digital gauges, etc. Even though it's not as pretty as the ninja is It's also fuel injected. Eventually Kawi is going to have a hard time trying to convince people not to get the more featured bike, for the same price. "Looking prettier" might not convince everyone.
Actually much of what you say has already been said. Many feel that the CBR will cause Kawi to rethink their plans with the ninjette. As for it being the most drastic change design we've seen in a while. Well that's a bit far fetched unless they decide to redesign the bike again like they did for 2008 (you know, with a COMPLETELY new design for all but a few things in the motor). At most they will completely drop the carburetors from the ninjette and just produce the EFI model for all markets. If you ask me this would save them money anyway because it's one less thing to produce. In fact according to another member that looks to be what is happening:

Quote:
Your getting EFI.. there are no carbs to be seen at the Thai factory..... So start saving for your Power commanders now.. no more easy HP from simple jet changes.
I don't think you'll see digital gauges however or any other changes to the ninjette other then maybe to the color lineup. So for 2012 I think you might be expecting much if you think there will be significant changes to the ninjette. It's just not a high profile enough of a bike to demand major changes after being completely redesigned only 3 years ago. I know it's their top seller, but it's considered a bargain bike with much of their focus on R&D going to their big super sports that the industry consider high profile. Unfortunately as much as we all love the 250 series of bikes, the industry just doesn't give it much attention.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:59 AM   #87
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Unfortunately as much as we all love the 250 series of bikes, the industry just doesn't give it much attention.
ya! akrapovic needs to make a full exhuast!

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #88
n4mwd

I think some of you are forgetting that the Ninja 250 is basically a loss leader. The factory makes very little on one and counts on you buying a bigger bike later that has a wider profit margin. I don't think they are going to do a whole lot more than they already have.

Also, the trend in newgens, regardless of manufacturer, is to increase the bells and whistles, but decrease the performance. If they keep going the way they have, pretty soon Chinese scooters will be passing us on the freeway.

The newgen Ninja 250 is about 2 seconds slower than the pregen in a 0-60 run. It also lacks a temp gauge and a center stand. The pregen lacks a fuel gauge and has a mechanical speedometer whereas I'm pretty sure the newgen is digital with an analog display.

The Honda CBR 250R is a retarded version of the original CBR 250. That's what the "R" stands for. The latter had 4 cylinders and performance comparable to the Ninja 250. The new one can't get past 80 mph. I think EFI is great, but not if it costs performance.

So my prediction is that the 2012 Ninja 250 (if the factory actually makes them this year) will be identical in every way to the 2010 model except for color and maybe price. But having said that, I hope I'm wrong.

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #89
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
I think some of you are forgetting that the Ninja 250 is basically a loss leader. The factory makes very little on one and counts on you buying a bigger bike later that has a wider profit margin. I don't think they are going to do a whole lot more than they already have.

Also, the trend in newgens, regardless of manufacturer, is to increase the bells and whistles, but decrease the performance. If they keep going the way they have, pretty soon Chinese scooters will be passing us on the freeway.

The newgen Ninja 250 is about 2 seconds slower than the pregen in a 0-60 run. It also lacks a temp gauge and a center stand. The pregen lacks a fuel gauge and has a mechanical speedometer whereas I'm pretty sure the newgen is digital with an analog display.

The Honda CBR 250R is a retarded version of the original CBR 250. That's what the "R" stands for. The latter had 4 cylinders and performance comparable to the Ninja 250. The new one can't get past 80 mph. I think EFI is great, but not if it costs performance.

So my prediction is that the 2012 Ninja 250 (if the factory actually makes them this year) will be identical in every way to the 2010 model except for color and maybe price. But having said that, I hope I'm wrong.
Just a couple of corrections here. The speedo on the newgen I believe (kkim can confirm which it is) is still mechanical with a gear on the front wheel like the pregens. The Honda CBR250 tops out in the mid to upper 80's according to independent testing. And of course Kawasaki is building the ninjette for 2012. Not sure where that last idea came from.

I do agree that the current 250 market is much watered down from it was 20 years ago with those I-4 screamers. Oddly enough Kawasaki still makes that engine in Japan for 2 bikes they have there. I wish they would throw that in the ninjette and let us have it. They even still make the 400cc I-4 that used to be used in the ZX4. I think they underestimate the world wide market for what we are willing to buy.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:37 AM   #90
n4mwd

Quote:
Just a couple of corrections here. The speedo on the newgen I believe (kkim can confirm which it is) is still mechanical with a gear on the front wheel like the pregens.
I don't have one to actually look. Maybe someone can check theirs to see if its a wire or a cable coming off the sending unit. At one time I was looking to buy a gear indicator for my pregen. One manufacturer said that theirs only worked on the newgen because the speedo was electronic and not so on the pregen.

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #91
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Kawasaki is not going to redesign the ninja, its been a top seller for them, and will continue to be so until some other company comes out with something that makes them stop selling. And to date, that hasnt happened.

I dont see them making any changes whatsoever...other than their standard practice of some different paint and a higher pricetag.

Im holding out for yamaha's new bike.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #92
M
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 x2, Ninja 650R

The EX250J ('08-11) still uses the mechanical meter gear for the speedometer/odometer.

Old June 27th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #93
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

I think now that efi is becoming super cheap I would say the 2013 will have it but the 2012 unchanged
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #94
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteraan View Post
I routinely get 58-60 mpg if I am just commuting and shifting around 7-8k. Traffic doesn't typically allow much more than that, rpm-wise.

When I'm riding for pleasure, open road, shifting at 12-13k and cruising around 9-10k, I still get 53-56 mpg. And no, I'm not tucking, and that's at 6'2", 205.

I couldn't imagine getting mileage in the 40's. Then again, I haven't modded my carbs either.
Take it to the track. I got 42 mpg
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #95
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I miss my FZR 400 from years ago. Wish someone..... anyone...... Yamaha, Kawi, Honda even Suzuki will give us another one. PLEASE.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #96
Anteraan
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (Blue)

Quote:
They even still make the 400cc I-4 that used to be used in the ZX4. I think they underestimate the world wide market for what we are willing to buy.
Agreed. I'd be all over that. Even better would be a 400 triple, but when the I-4 already exists...heck yeah.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #97
Anteraan
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Take it to the track. I got 42 mpg
Jetted, exhaust, and track riding. With that combination I can easily see 42 mpg.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #98
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Quote:
I love to pull up to them and drop the clutch at 10k and blow the doors off them
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #99
ultraquick1
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Kawasaki ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintalmighty View Post
and shifting at 3500 rpm as per owners manual
I know this is off topic but do you really suppose to shift at 3500 rpm? I've only been riding a couple weeks and did not get an owners manual with my bike. Ps where can I get an online copy of the maintenance book.

Old June 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM   #100
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraquick1 View Post
I know this is off topic but do you really suppose to shift at 3500 rpm?
The bike is hardly moving at 3500 rpm. I know that the manual suggests shifting out of 1st at 12 mph until you finally should be in 6th at 28 mph. That's a lot of needless shifting. Under normal riding, I usually shift around 7000 - 8000 rpm. That's a bit of guess though as I don't always look at my tach when I shift. I try to keep my eyes on the road as much as possible. "Don't look down!" was what my MSF instructor always yelled during class. I just go by my speed, the sound of the engine and its input to throttle as an indicator of when to shift. My bike is stock. Not sure how other riders do it.

From a stop through the first few gears, there's no way you should be shifting at anything lower than 5000-6000 rpms in city traffic unless you want to piss off the line of drivers behind you. Some of the pros here may give you a more defined answer.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #101
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
The bike is hardly moving at 3500 rpm. I know that the manual suggests shifting out of 1st at 12 mph until you finally should be in 6th at 28 mph. That's a lot of needless shifting. Under normal riding, I usually shift around 7000 - 8000 rpm. That's a bit of guess though as I don't always look at my tach when I shift. I try to keep my eyes on the road as much as possible. "Don't look down!" was what my MSF instructor always yelled during class. I just go by my speed, the sound of the engine and its input to throttle as an indicator of when to shift. My bike is stock. Not sure how other riders do it.

From a stop through the first few gears, there's no way you should be shifting at anything lower than 5000-6000 rpms in city traffic unless you want to piss off the line of drivers behind you. Some of the pros here may give you a more defined answer.
Yeah, I honestly think that the suggestions in the owners manual is really meant for the break-in period, not actual riding, but they make it seem as if that is how your supposed to shift
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote