ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 8th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #1
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250r

New Bike

I just got my 2009 250 a few weeks ago and i was looking for some advice on modifications. it already has an aftermarket fender eliminator and i was looking for something else to improve it. i dont think im intersted in custom exhaust for now because i like the way the stock muffler sounds but anything else that would make it cooler or better

Old June 8th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #2
kkim

what did you have in mind? performance, cosmetic or ergonomics?

have you visited the DIY section?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #3
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

performance or cosmetic

Old June 8th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #4
kkim

when it came to modding my bike, I approached it from fixing what I felt were the weakest points first. That will vary with each person.

What is it that you feel is a weak point on the bike right now? Any? If none, ride it and enjoy it till something develops into a wart.

Old June 8th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #5
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

everything seems okay on it right now but i have only been riding for a week or so but im sure over time il find things that i want done

Old June 8th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #6
kkim

enjoy the bike.

I assume you've purchased all your safety gear and taken the MSF course?

Old June 8th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #7
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

An MSF course and proper gear will make you cooler than hell.
Also, go check out the threads on the 15 and 18 year olds that died yesterday on MC's.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #8
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfh4xx View Post
...Also, go check out the threads on the 15 and 18 year olds that died yesterday on MC's.
That's kinda morbid advice... I understand where you are coming from... but still

Kelly gave you some good sound advice... these bikes really are very capable and pretty sweet right out of the crate. Personalization and some mods that make the bike better for you is what would work best.

That being said I've also done a lot to my bike only because I liked it better and it didn't necessarily serve a true purpose. If everything seems pretty good so far... just ride it and ride it and learn more about it and what you and the machine are capable of!!!

Enjoy and ride safe
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #9
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

im schelduled to take the msf course this week and i have an armored jacket but i live in missouri and its been in the upper 90s and its humid as hell in missouri so idk how much im going to get to wear it

Old June 8th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #10
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGjackafidy View Post
im schelduled to take the msf course this week and i have an armored jacket but i live in missouri and its been in the upper 90s and its humid as hell in missouri so idk how much im going to get to wear it
I'd still wear the jacket. Being warm in a jacket for an hour is better than getting skin grafts if you go down.

I wear my leather jacket every time I ride, whether it's 35 F or 95 F.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:06 PM   #11
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGjackafidy View Post
summer is the time for vented gear. you can never have too many jackets, pants and boots.... or helmets, or gloves, or... well, you get the idea.

buy stuff on closeouts... they are normally less than $100 each for some basic protection.

remember, the best/most expensive safety gear is useless, unless you wear it.

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #12
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

i dont think my jacket is vented but il look into one after i get paid i do have a helmet and gloves though

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #13
kkim

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street...kets_and_pants

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #14
wtfh4xx

My advice wasnt intended to be morbid but its a sure way to take things seriously.
I looked at all the wrecked threads to set it into my mind what NOT to do and just how serious of an injury you can receive while riding.
I mean look at his picture, I'd hate to see another highschooler die on his new bike.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #15
TylerNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Its been at 100f to 105f for the pst week in texas. i'd rather sweat in all my gear than never be able to ride again because of one bad decision to not wear gear... gear is cooler and more bada*s. dont let anyone else tell you or make you try to think otherwise...

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #16
ninjaknobs
ninjaknobs

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

nice color choice ;)

Your bike is how my bike used to look.. then the mod bonanza kicked in. Check out my pics in my album and i can tell you what stuff costs and ease of installation.

I wouldn't ride your bike till you graduate the riding course. I took one.. learn alot. After that ride around quiet streets.. practice being smooth with gear changes, braking.. front AND rear brake, turn signals etc etc. I don't care how hot it is i still wear all my gear, leather jacket, gloves, helmet, boots, and leather pants on our weekend blasts through the canyons.

I learned quick to trust the tires on the bike, if your going around a corner a little too fast.. don't nail the brakes but keep leaning the bike over! I've scraped the footpegs numerous times and gear shifter(went from second gear into third) .. after that i installed rear sets so your feet are higher up and further back. Point is your bike is very capable in the corners.. unlike a 800lb harley
ninjaknobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #17
wtfh4xx

Yeah, I need some rearsets as well.
My feet need to be higher and more to the rear for easier shifting.
2010 SE 250R!

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #18
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaknobs View Post

I've scraped the footpegs numerous times and gear shifter(went from second gear into third) .. after that i installed rear sets so your feet are higher up and further back. Point is your bike is very capable in the corners.. unlike a 800lb harley
word of warning... if you have the stock tires, do yourself a favor and change them out for some stickier rubber. Also, when you install rearsets, they allow your feet to clear and enable the bike to lean over more, but the next thing to touch is the kickstand bracket on the left side. There have been crashes on this forum attributed from the kickstand bracket dragging and taking the bike/rider down. Know/learn your bike's cornering angle limitations.

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #19
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerNinja View Post
Its been at 100f to 105f for the pst week in texas. i'd rather sweat in all my gear than never be able to ride again because of one bad decision to not wear gear... gear is cooler and more bada*s. dont let anyone else tell you or make you try to think otherwise...

+1 for wearing gear in hot and humid Texas. It's honestly not as bad as you'd expect it to be
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #20
ninjaknobs
ninjaknobs

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
word of warning... if you have the stock tires, do yourself a favor and change them out for some stickier rubber. Also, when you install rearsets, they allow your feet to clear and enable the bike to lean over more, but the next thing to touch is the kickstand bracket on the left side. There have been crashes on this forum attributed from the kickstand bracket dragging and taking the bike/rider down. Know/learn your bike's cornering angle limitations.
totally agree, i dumped the IRC tires after 1,500 miles. They still had plenty miles left on them, but i switched to bridgestone battlax RS bt003, 150/60 rear 120/60 front.. love em

Yes i noticed the kickstand juts out and could be a hazard
ninjaknobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #21
kkim

cool... just wanted to warn others of the rearset dilemma.

people who race their bikes have taken to grinding the bracket off, but then you're left with no sidestand.

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #22
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

if you buy a replacement back tire is it as skinny as the stock one is and how much would it cost?

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:10 PM   #23
kkim

Jack,

concentrate on learning how to ride and control the bike. Once you get the basics down and start pushing it, then consider changing the tires. I would recommend you change both front and rear tires when you do with a matching set.

make sure your present tires are set to the recommended pressures.

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #24
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

i will. ive just been riding around neighboorhoods and sidestreets for now. im not gonna take it onto any busy roads untill i take the msf course. how often do you usually change your oil on your bike

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #25
kkim

I changed mine often during break in.

Old June 8th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #26
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

mine has 1700 miles on it is it still breaking in?

Old June 8th, 2011, 10:40 PM   #27
kkim

during the first 1000 miles, I changed my oil 4 times.... 53,297, 528 and 1008. I changed it again at 2000 miles.

If you haven't done so yet, I'd recommend it (it was supposed to be changed at 600 miles according to the maintenance schedule). Was it?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10577

Old June 9th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #28
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Hey have fun, and as for the gear trust me and the rest wear it all the time. Even if it's 110+ if you unzip your jacket halfway at regular road speeds 50+ then it will keep you cool.

Also how much experience do you have? I.e driving a car etc? Now for all the other members; reason I ask is for road experience, if you have been driving a car for years you will have learned to anticipate what other drivers do, to look ahead and so forth! It will not have taught you how to ride a bike, but you all know what I mean =p
blink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #29
Anteraan
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (Blue)

As far as bike mods, being a relative noob myself (entering my 3rd yr of riding), I have done the following:
  • Mirror extenders
  • fender eliminator
  • double bubble windscreen
Let me preface this by saying that I'm 6'2 and have broad shoulders. I simply couldn't see with the mirrors stock. The Motech extenders are pricy for what you get, but invaluable to me. If I were buying another 250, it would be my first mod, period. In fact, I'd bring them with me to the dealership and put them on before I rode home.
The windscreen (mine is Zero Gravity, Puig's is also fine) stopped my chest from turning into a sail at 50+mph. I didn't like riding the bike at or near highway speeds until this fix came into play. The fender eliminator is purely cosmetic.

In terms of gear, I will echo what Kelly said. You can never have too many jackets, gloves, etc. My favorite piece of gear is a Joe Rocket perforated leather jacket - but it's not the best choice at <70 degrees. Two sets of gloves (one lighter/perforated, and another gauntlet style) is also something to build towards.

Also, ditto on the MSF course. It can save your life, AND it's great fun. I will never forget how much fun the figure-8 drill was.
Anteraan is offline   Reply With Quote