ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old May 9th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Printing new gauge faces?

A couple of my dash bulbs burned out and so I replaced all with blue bulbs from an auto parts store. I don't have white-face instrumentation because mine is a 2008, so it isn't as obvious as I'd like. It seems like there'd be some kind of generic program out there that would let you put in units, range, increments, colors, fonts, etc to generate and print a new gauge face that you could install by removing the needles and replacing the old gauge face. Also, it seems like a good way to correct for the 10% speedometer error. When I search, I see people's complicated DIYs for multi-layered transparencies and the like. I don't need all that. Just a program to create the dial graphic to print on white paper that I can then laminate, cut out, and install. Anyone ever see something like that?

Heck, I'd take and appreciate a straight copy of the white-faced version of our gauge but I'm hoping for the chance to correct the speedometer error.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #2
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
A couple of my dash bulbs burned out and so I replaced all with blue bulbs from an auto parts store. I don't have white-face instrumentation because mine is a 2008, so it isn't as obvious as I'd like. It seems like there'd be some kind of generic program out there that would let you put in units, range, increments, colors, fonts, etc to generate and print a new gauge face that you could install by removing the needles and replacing the old gauge face. Also, it seems like a good way to correct for the 10% speedometer error. When I search, I see people's complicated DIYs for multi-layered transparencies and the like. I don't need all that. Just a program to create the dial graphic to print on white paper that I can then laminate, cut out, and install. Anyone ever see something like that?

Heck, I'd take and appreciate a straight copy of the white-faced version of our gauge but I'm hoping for the chance to correct the speedometer error.
That would be a really niche program, as simple as it sounds. You're better off using a CD label maker program and use n image created in photoshop. Here is a link to the DIT for a guy that makes them for Miatas:

http://revlimiter.net/mods/gauges.php

Old May 9th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #3
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

What bulb types did you use to replace the dash bulbs & was it hard to install them, i.e. take fairings off, etc? I want to put some blue ones in too
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
What bulb types did you use to replace the dash bulbs & was it hard to install them, i.e. take fairings off, etc? I want to put some blue ones in too
I took my old bulbs in with me. I can't recall if it was Advanced Auto Parts or Autozone but they said that 194 type was a brighter replacement (I think they identified the original as 164 or 168 or something). They had some brand that offered 194R (red) and 194B (blue), so I got blue. I've got ther package at home, so I'll have more info later.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #5
jjb84
ninjette.org member

Name: JJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

can u take pics of what it looks like with just blue bulbs?
jjb84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #6
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb84 View Post
can u take pics of what it looks like with just blue bulbs?
here's what it looks like with green bulbs.

Those cool custom faces in the link look better imho

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #7
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

How hard is it to replace the bulbs in the dash?
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #8
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

^^ Wondering the same, but I think it involves taking the side fairings off & front...as seen in the "DIY - Get Nekkid", post #9

Also, is it necessary to replace all 7 (or 8..however many) bulbs?
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote