ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 24th, 2021, 09:52 AM   #1
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Fiberglass Ninja 250 Fairing

Being ABS Fairing was trash beyond repair all over the place I replace it with Fiberglass as used one are ridiculously overpriced for good used ones at $400 and new $700 ouch that expensive.
The color Matte Beach Glass and clear coat will be Gloss I want idiots car drivers to see me
Stage 1 a boat load of sanding
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (79.9 KB, 6 views)

Last futzed with by shspvr; November 24th, 2021 at 06:54 PM.
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2021, 09:54 AM   #2
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 2 Oh what fun sanding the first stage getting it up to 320 girt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (112.0 KB, 3 views)

Old November 24th, 2021, 09:58 AM   #3
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 3 putty sanding up to 800 grit you can already see the dust everywhere clean up on aisle 6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (98.4 KB, 4 views)

Old November 24th, 2021, 09:59 AM   #4
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 4 color the first of two clear coats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (107.3 KB, 7 views)

Last futzed with by shspvr; December 6th, 2021 at 04:26 PM.

Old November 24th, 2021, 12:46 PM   #5
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Very nice, fiberglass is the eventual plan for mine when I get back to running a fairing

Old November 24th, 2021, 06:45 PM   #6
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

It's amazing what you can find on ebay

Old November 26th, 2021, 08:00 AM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I think I would have gone with Yumm Yumm Yellow ( that's what the surfers call a bright yellow). you can't miss it even when it's dark and black is the perfect accent color... but to each their own !
bright colors are better than black in my book... almost all my bikes were black in the past... it looked cool ! but it has 2 things against it that I don't like a black bike blends in much easier than a white or red bike will... it's very hot in the summer as well.... and when I was at the ranch I left a freshly opened coke can on my tank and walked away and fed the horses... came back and that coke was almost too hot to pick up ! but I wasn't gone for more than 3 minutes !.....
think how much gas you loose to evaporation with a black tank ! it's gott'a be a bunch !
but for me white is out because of snow.... I don't plan to ride in the snow but if I do a white bike is invisible when there is snow on the ground.
...I remember vividly watching a Harley drive by one time ... what caught my eye was I saw a guy sitting coming down the road.... i had to take a double take just to see the bike it was white and chrome but the chrome didn't shine on an overcasts day it just looked grey... so this guy drives by and i follow him for a few miles to town.... the road was dry but the sides of the road were white with snow.... the blackness of the road made the dark parts of the bike disappear as well.... it's like nature wants to kill all motorcycle riders ! you couldn't see this guy for more than 500ft away from the side and behind him all you could see was his white helmet...which looked like a slow snowball..... moving in the air all by itself ..I remarked to the wife and she laughed saying Yes no white paint for you ! it was truly weird !
you could see his lights but they weren't attached to anything... you had to look hard to see him....
and that's a white bike..with a black leather rider and white helmet easy to see right ? LOL...
not with snow on the ground !
if and when I re paint the Triumph 750 it will probably be green and gold scales for the tank and side plates black for everything else...it will be a challenge to see if I can still do scales with a paint gun that is for sure !
Bob.......

Old November 26th, 2021, 08:11 AM   #8
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
if and when I re paint the Triumph 750 it will probably be green and gold scales for the tank and side plates black for everything else...it will be a challenge to see if I can still do scales with a paint gun that is for sure !
Bob.......
I definitely wouldn't do that on a $5K figure bike like yours that is almost 100% original

Old November 26th, 2021, 09:08 AM   #9
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL...yah I know what ya mean.... but if the fit strikes me no holds are barred!
I mean ,I remember cutting a DT1 250 yamaha in half because I needed the rear swing arm for a sidecar I was making for my Mother ! it was a total SIN... but it was available.... I put the engine in an OSSA steleto frame I had so there was no loss !
HAHAHAHAHA
Bob.....

Old November 28th, 2021, 09:05 AM   #10
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 5 Lower Fairing primer some putty sanding up to 800 grit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (151.1 KB, 2 views)

Old November 28th, 2021, 09:07 AM   #11
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 6 color and the first of two clear coats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (127.0 KB, 0 views)

Old November 28th, 2021, 02:05 PM   #12
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Awesome job! Nice colour selection, very '80s neon! I got stash of hoarded neon spray cans acquired just before CA implemented their low-VOC regulations.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2021, 05:03 PM   #13
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Awesome job! Nice colour selection, very '80s neon! I got stash of hoarded neon spray cans acquired just before CA implemented their low-VOC regulations.
It not Nero color but it the old color know as Fresh Water Beach Glass colors a tab diff then Sea Glass colors.
Ho boy do I recall the 80's oh what fun it was

Old December 4th, 2021, 05:27 PM   #14
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 7 Tail Cover primer some putty sanding up to 800 grit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (92.7 KB, 0 views)

Old December 4th, 2021, 05:28 PM   #15
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 8 color and the first of two clear coats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (91.7 KB, 0 views)

Old December 4th, 2021, 05:30 PM   #16
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 9 Misc parts primer and color and the first of two clear coats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (139.2 KB, 5 views)

Old December 4th, 2021, 08:13 PM   #17
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Looks like your making progress !
Keep up the good work !
I sure hope you don't get tired of that color though ! definitely not the color I would have chosen....but what ever floats your boat ! if you like it then that's the best color for it !
myself I'd just rattle canned it black with no sanding and called it good enough
I mean it's a bike, and it's going to get scratched up anyway right ? so make it easy to match the color ! LOL
are you going to clear coat that thing as well ?
I remember My Dad when he had a body shop going and did a bunch of car painting ( he was colorblind and could match paint like none other) this one car he painted has 20 coats of clearcoat and boy did it look good ! gave it a thick luster that was exposed on every curve... even though the color was black lacker with the clear coat it really looked good.
the owner was ecstatic and loved it... ....Dad could paint a metallic color
and get the coat on there so even it was unreal he had a true gift for that !
he said he could see the thickness by the shade of the paint.....
if I remember right Green was red to him and red was actually red....
he had several color screwups but that was normal to him but man could that guy paint.... he was the best painter in the northstate but he preferred to do body work not the painting it was the challenge to make that fender smooth with as little filler as necessary , that really turned him on...
he taught me alot about that stuff but my interest was keeping the thing running or running better ! not repairing the wrinkles ! LOL
driving around with primer on my truck to stop the rust never bothered me one bit ! ...
Bob.......

Old December 4th, 2021, 09:06 PM   #18
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Looks like your making progress !
Keep up the good work !
I sure hope you don't get tired of that color though ! definitely not the color I would have chosen....but what ever floats your boat ! if you like it then that's the best color for it !
myself I'd just rattle canned it black with no sanding and called it good enough
I mean it's a bike, and it's going to get scratched up anyway right ? so make it easy to match the color ! LOL
are you going to clear coat that thing as well ?
I remember My Dad when he had a body shop going and did a bunch of car painting ( he was colorblind and could match paint like none other) this one car he painted has 20 coats of clearcoat and boy did it look good ! gave it a thick luster that was exposed on every curve... even though the color was black lacker with the clear coat it really looked good.
the owner was ecstatic and loved it... ....Dad could paint a metallic color
and get the coat on there so even it was unreal he had a true gift for that !
he said he could see the thickness by the shade of the paint.....
if I remember right Green was red to him and red was actually red....
he had several color screwups but that was normal to him but man could that guy paint.... he was the best painter in the northstate but he preferred to do body work not the painting it was the challenge to make that fender smooth with as little filler as necessary , that really turned him on...
he taught me alot about that stuff but my interest was keeping the thing running or running better ! not repairing the wrinkles ! LOL
driving around with primer on my truck to stop the rust never bothered me one bit ! ...
Bob.......
Yes, all of them will have 4/6 layer of Gloss clear coat on top of them
I'm also will be adding some black Kawasaki Ninja 250 Decals and more layer of clear coat and Rim Stripes Wheel Decals to black wheel and add a underglow kit too that will be Green or White.
I want to do in Kawasaki Lime Green, but paint was $30 a can the was looking for other option of lime green the close was neon green I didn't like way it looks after paint and clear coat at all so next option was chameleon color shift called Turquoise Waters from Rust oleum but it $15 a can and I was only to find 3 can local and I did want black being every dose that.

Old December 4th, 2021, 09:59 PM   #19
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I'ed sujest mixing your own colors but that takes a gift I've never mastered and I can't recomend it, besides you'ed have 6 to 8 quarts of unused paint when your done just to get the shade you wanted ! not a cheap way to go at all !
My Dad could do that but I never could ! LOL.....
when painting a bike I usually bought 4 or 5 cans of black for the frame and then 4 cans for the color and just went with that but these Ninjas have alot of surface area in their fairings and it would take that much for just one piece !
.... I did get into some fancy painting with an airbrush at one time but I doubt I could do that now.... besides I sold my airbrush !
but the neatest paint job I ever saw was a green and gold dragon scale design on a H1 Kawasaki 750 with tuned pipes on it... he came into the gas station where I was working and when he took off it sounded like a jet on take off and he was gone ! ...but that thing had a real good paint job on it !
.... years later when I was working with my Dad at his shop he pointed me to some pinstriping rolls that he bought at a auto supply place he did alot of business with.... it came in various widths and I found I could lay that stuff down MUCH, MUCH, easier than trying to paint pin-striping by hand HAHAHA!
....I have used stincling in the past with real good results there is a gillion ways to do that now, it used to be just lay paper-tape down on the surface and then cut your shape out with a sharp exacto knife.... now they have sprey adhesive that you can just sprey on the back of the picture and apply it and then cut it out... makes it fairly simple !.... logo's and names come out real good if your careful ! and you don't have to worry about the scratch the knife will leave .... as the next color will cover it !
later !
Bob......

Old December 6th, 2021, 04:20 PM   #20
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 10 Forgot to get a photo of it primer so here Gas Tanks color and the first of two clear coats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (106.3 KB, 3 views)

Old December 9th, 2021, 02:50 PM   #21
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 10 I skip the primer photo so here the Side Panel in color and the first of two clear coats
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (110.7 KB, 1 views)

Old December 9th, 2021, 02:53 PM   #22
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 11 I skip the primer photo so here the Front Fender in color and the first of two clear coats thank to my brother and his help we are making progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (77.6 KB, 1 views)

Old December 9th, 2021, 03:05 PM   #23
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Now I have just to wait on the fairing decal sticker and skull rip decal to get here and led under glow kit

Old December 9th, 2021, 04:59 PM   #24
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

My Ninja had a extensive led under glow kit on it...there were led's everywhere on that bike.... after looking at it in the dark and changing their color I decided to just take them all off and save them.... I may get the bug to have them on there later but not right now... ( the best color was green that matched the paint... and I have to admit it looked pirty cool !)
on your bike I would get one that has the changable colors too and use the blue
that should look really sweet !
Bob........

Old December 27th, 2021, 04:45 PM   #25
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 12 Front Fender on ho boy some progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (152.0 KB, 18 views)

Last futzed with by shspvr; December 27th, 2021 at 06:36 PM.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 27th, 2021, 04:46 PM   #26
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 13 LED Under Glow kit on looking good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (61.8 KB, 5 views)

Old December 27th, 2021, 04:49 PM   #27
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 14 Tank Pad Protector Decal on some more progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (97.3 KB, 1 views)

Old December 27th, 2021, 05:34 PM   #28
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stock Turn Signal Mount Mod
In first photo I used belt sander to sand it down
In second photo I used a dremel and cut off wheel to remove some plastic
As can see it fit spot on
There few more steps you need some tape to cover the hole
Then get a can Oatey ABS Black Medium Bodied Solvent Cement, 4 Oz #30999
Some 180 grit sand paper to rough up the surface
Cleans the surface with acetone
Put some ABS glue in there cover half up the hole
It will take some time to dry a few days then you clean it up and paint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17.jpg (144.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 18.jpg (83.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 19.jpg (158.9 KB, 4 views)

Last futzed with by shspvr; December 30th, 2021 at 10:35 AM.

Old December 27th, 2021, 06:22 PM   #29
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

WOW looking real spiffy !
good work !!!!
your making good progress there !!!!
Bob.......

Old December 27th, 2021, 06:47 PM   #30
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
WOW looking real spiffy !
good work !!!!
your making good progress there !!!!
Bob.......
Yup it is getting their thanks
Two more decals for body work and then done
Black Wheel are done just waiting on 3M Green Reflective decal for them to be apply then clear coating them and add some new tire on to the rims.

Last futzed with by shspvr; December 27th, 2021 at 08:48 PM.

Old December 27th, 2021, 08:46 PM   #31
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

That color is the highlight!

Old December 27th, 2021, 08:50 PM   #32
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrewski86 View Post
That color is the highlight!
Thanks I wanted something that wasn't like every tom and dick and harry out there

Old December 30th, 2021, 10:41 AM   #33
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Stage 15 Rim Reflective Decal and Clear Coat some more progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20.jpg (137.6 KB, 4 views)

Old February 19th, 2022, 03:22 PM   #34
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

All done just got the new tire on along with cool rims
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0846.jpg (156.6 KB, 28 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 19th, 2022, 06:22 PM   #35
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Looking good Anthony ! Well done ! that is a bike you can be proud to ride !
Bob......

Old February 19th, 2022, 06:30 PM   #36
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Looking good Anthony ! Well done ! that is a bike you can be proud to ride !
Bob......
Yup the lady just love the color

Old February 23rd, 2022, 10:42 AM   #37
Dizzy
ninjette.org member

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 250r

I had to buy new front fairing was 175$ on eBay came with all the fairings tho so if my little brother messes up another he has a replacement I love the aqua color that's unique looking
Dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2022, 10:00 AM   #38
TikiCaser
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by shspvr View Post
All done just got the new tire on along with cool rims
Wow! Great work! Do you have a link for the fiberglass faring?

Old February 26th, 2022, 03:27 PM   #39
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiCaser View Post
Wow! Great work! Do you have a link for the fiberglass faring?
Right here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12499645919...4AAOSwRLZT6tMO

Old February 27th, 2022, 10:22 AM   #40
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
You can also get entire fibreglass fairing set here. I'm looking at that one-piece tail section now...hmm...

https://www.airtech-streamlining.com...2501988-06.htm
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote