ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 12th, 2016, 01:11 AM   #1
lizardywizard
green stig

Name: V

Motorcycle(s): '15 Ninja 300 ABS (Hurricane)

MOTM - May '16
Component looks rusted... should I be worried?

So I finally got my bike back from the shop today, yay! She'd been sitting out in a tent at the dealership forever, so I gave her a full wash. And as I was cleaning her, I noticed this.

I literally just had that suspension link installed today, so you'd think the dealership would have said if anything was wrong with the nearby components, but that... looks pretty icky.

Is this normal? I should add that this is a bike with less than 200 miles on the clock.

Also, in the category of "things I noticed while cleaning my bike":

Couple scuffs from a fall. I'm not too worried about these, but just to be on the safe side, are they at risk of rust, since the metal is exposed? Since it's on the engine and all I'd rather not take any chances, but I also don't know if I can paint it safely...
lizardywizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2016, 01:47 AM   #2
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

All exposed metal will eventually be corroded. Spray some WD-40 or a similar petroleum product on a cloth and wipe the area around the bolt. The clutch cover you show is made of aluminum, chances are any exposed metal already instantly formed a layer of corrosion; this is a well known property of aluminum. This corrosion will serve to protect the metal from further harm.

I would have hardly noticed these issues on my own bike, they're so small, really nothing to worry about.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2016, 06:28 AM   #3
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
To my eye it looks like a tiny bit of surface rust and some heat related color change. That is the mid pipe bolt attached to your exhaust (last one before the passenger peg/hangar), right?

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. As far as I know, painting your clutch cover (the little scratches) shouldn't cause you any harm.

Old May 12th, 2016, 06:39 AM   #4
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I would not be worried about either really. But the fact you are inspecting the bike that closely means she is in good hands.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2016, 07:53 AM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
OH MY GOD YOU'RE GONNA DIE IF YOU RIDE THAT BIKE!!!!

No. It's nothing to be worried about. Really.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2016, 09:14 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardywizard View Post
........Couple scuffs from a fall. I'm not too worried about these, but just to be on the safe side, are they at risk of rust, since the metal is exposed? Since it's on the engine and all I'd rather not take any chances, but I also don't know if I can paint it safely...
The brake pedal will rust by the scuff.
Use some cold galvanized paint on that spot and on the exhaust bracket, after eliminating any rust with a wire brush.
Follow the instructions regarding breathing hazard.

The clutch cover will thank some mate black touch up.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #7
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

No. It's nothing to be worried about. Really.

if that was a problem, this would be too

and this:

It looks to me like someone has welded or cut that bracket though. it's not centered on the bolt, and just next to the bushing is some heat and spatter.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #8
lizardywizard
green stig

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky nrk View Post
I would not be worried about either really. But the fact you are inspecting the bike that closely means she is in good hands.
Thank you! I'm doing my best.

I know I'm being a little paranoid. I'm aware I'm not gonna die or anything, but I'd like to prolong her lifespan as long as possible, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
The brake pedal will rust by the scuff.
Use some cold galvanized paint on that spot and on the exhaust bracket, after eliminating any rust with a wire brush.
Follow the instructions regarding breathing hazard.

The clutch cover will thank some mate black touch up.

Thanks Motofool!

Stupid newbie question, but what type of paint should I use for the clutch cover touch-up?

Old May 12th, 2016, 12:58 PM   #9
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
any matte black

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2016, 02:18 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
.........Thanks Motofool!

Stupid newbie question, but what type of paint should I use for the clutch cover touch-up?
You are welcome

Neither this question nor your future questions will be taken as less than intelligent.

For big surfaces of aluminum, an aluminum primer is recommended.
For those little spots, any black enamel that comes in a spray can will do, in my opinion.
Engine enamel is supposed to better resist changes of temperature.

It is important to clean up the surface with acetone or mineral spirits prior to the first application.

Old May 12th, 2016, 08:56 PM   #11
lizardywizard
green stig

MOTM - May '16
Gotcha, thanks! That helps a lot. And thank you for the reassurance.

One more thing: I have some pretty deep scratches in the exhaust.

I tried using metal polish, but I think they're a little much for that. Any good way to fix them? I don't really want to paint the exhaust...

Old May 12th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #12
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

That's the muffler cover/heat shield, it did its job of protecting the muffler. You can replace it or or start sanding.

Kawasaki #14041-0572 150+shipping for a new replacement or you can try rolling the dice on an ebay part:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Nin...1XMMQU&vxp=mtr

If you have lots of time and sandpaper, start with 80 or 120 grit and wet-sand the entire surface of the metal until it has a consistent texture and color. First sand in one direction, then sand perpendicular to it.
Then move up a grade to something like 180 or 240 and repeat, wet-sand in one direction, and then again in a perpendicular direction. Keep moving gradually up to 600 or 1000 grit or until you're tired and realize that the world of surface prep is only for those who have checked their sanity at the door.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2016, 02:13 PM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:

........I tried using metal polish, but I think they're a little much for that. Any good way to fix them? I don't really want to paint the exhaust...
You are welcome

You could try what @Flying advised above or you could try finding and buying a used shield in better conditions.

My best advise, like Japanese MotoGymkhana top riders say: work on the rider first, then work on the bike.

Old May 13th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #14
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
That's the muffler cover/heat shield, it did its job of protecting the muffler. You can replace it or or start sanding.

Kawasaki #14041-0572 150+shipping for a new replacement or you can try rolling the dice on an ebay part:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Nin...1XMMQU&vxp=mtr

If you have lots of time and sandpaper, start with 80 or 120 grit and wet-sand the entire surface of the metal until it has a consistent texture and color. First sand in one direction, then sand perpendicular to it.
Then move up a grade to something like 180 or 240 and repeat, wet-sand in one direction, and then again in a perpendicular direction. Keep moving gradually up to 600 or 1000 grit or until you're tired and realize that the world of surface prep is only for those who have checked their sanity at the door.

Yup. Gotta be insane to hand finish metal!

Start with:

and end with:

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #15
lizardywizard
green stig

MOTM - May '16
Wow RacinNinja, is that your work? That's absolutely stunning.

Old May 13th, 2016, 07:13 PM   #16
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Wow RacinNinja, is that your work? That's absolutely stunning.
Thank you! That's what happens in the winter time when you have old crusty 45 year old parts and a LOT of free time.

Point is, it can be done but as mentioned here, it's very time consuming.

My view is, they're battle scars. It means you ride, you make mistakes and you learn. Forget about the "pretties" until you get a few tens of thousands of miles under your belt. My daily has scuff marks on the muffler straps and some grind marks on the side covers. Put there by the previous owner but I left em. Why? Are you more interested in riding the bike or looking at it?

Old May 13th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #17
lizardywizard
green stig

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
My view is, they're battle scars. It means you ride, you make mistakes and you learn.
*nod* *nod* True this. Well said.

I want to keep my baby looking her best. My worry is that people will think I see her as just a transitional bike, a "beater". It sounds silly but I'm very attached to this bike and I want people to know that I'm not just planning to use, abuse and sell her off.

It's kinda like the Broken Windows Theory? If people see damage, they think, well, this is already damaged, don't need to be so careful.

But ultimately I myself don't mind if she has scars. Just need to put aside my sense of pride and neuroticness haha... (Also the fear every time I'm around a large group of Harleys that I'm going to get my head, and my bike, kicked in. The Harley riders around here, perhaps even more than some places, are very, very conservative. I... am an androgynous-looking nerd who toes the ground on a lowered Ninjette. I just have to hope I'm overthinking it.)

Old May 13th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #18
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
*nod* *nod* True this. Well said.

I want to keep my baby looking her best. My worry is that people will think I see her as just a transitional bike, a "beater". It sounds silly but I'm very attached to this bike and I want people to know that I'm not just planning to use, abuse and sell her off.

It's kinda like the Broken Windows Theory? If people see damage, they think, well, this is already damaged, don't need to be so careful.

But ultimately I myself don't mind if she has scars. Just need to put aside my sense of pride and neuroticness haha... (Also the fear every time I'm around a large group of Harleys that I'm going to get my head, and my bike, kicked in. The Harley riders around here, perhaps even more than some places, are very, very conservative. I... am an androgynous-looking nerd who toes the ground on a lowered Ninjette. I just have to hope I'm overthinking it.)
To be blunt, who cares? Are you riding for them, to impress them? Or are you riding for you, to have fun and do what you like?

I wave to all riders, scooters, Harleys, whatever. If they wave back, cool. If not, doesn't matter. Do your thing your way. Only person you have to please or impress is yourself.

As a side note, it's funny as all get out when the scooter person realizes you waved and their arm moves faster than they thought possible!

Old May 13th, 2016, 10:53 PM   #19
lizardywizard
green stig

MOTM - May '16
Oh, it's not like I care about my image (much... okay, we're all a little vain, let's be honest), but... I care about people mistreating me or the bike, you know?

Like I said, it's probably an irrational fear, but some of the riders around here are kind of scary.

I do wave to everyone, though. Want to make a good impression, especially because I know sportbike riders are somewhat looked down upon. I'd like to help improve the image.

Old May 14th, 2016, 04:32 AM   #20
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
I do wave to everyone, though. Want to make a good impression, especially because I know sportbike riders are somewhat looked down upon. I'd like to help improve the image.
http://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/...otorcycle-wave

http://www.motosport.com/blog/the-mo...-wave-handbook

https://axleaddict.com/motorcycles/M...oWaveLikeADork

Old May 14th, 2016, 06:46 AM   #21
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:

I tried using metal polish, but I think they're a little much for that. Any good way to fix them? I don't really want to paint the exhaust...
That's deeply gouged and there's a dent there also. Repairing would involve a lot of metalwork (hammering, heavy grinding, lighter grinding, sanding, more sanding), then some type of coating (paint or powder). Not easy to do or inexpensive to have done. Duplicating the original look would be almost impossible.

Best bet is a new piece or possibly finding a non-damaged, but maybe less than perfect, used one.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #22
lizardywizard
green stig

MOTM - May '16
Yeah, I think I'm probably going to leave it as it is for now. It doesn't look that bad from a distance. Thanks!

And @Motofool, thanks for the links! Yeah, I prbably should've added "when it's safe to do so", heh. I often do the nod if I can't take my hand off the clutch. Otherwise I've been doing some variation of the "raise your hand a little, flash palm" thing that is apparently the crotch rocket wave. Good to know!

I've seen a lot of people doing the pointing-two-fingers-down-low thing. I didn't get it at first - good to know what it means!

Old May 15th, 2016, 11:59 PM   #23
lizardywizard
green stig

MOTM - May '16
Finally got the cold galvanising compound today. Had to go all over to find a place that sold it. I used it on the brake (and found an extra spot of rust on there while I was at it), but I have no idea how to aim it at the exhaust bracket without hitting the rest of the exhaust. Need a can with a straw...

So I just WD-40'd the exhaust bracket, hopefully that helps at least.

Also did some matte black touchup on a few scratches... well, turns out the clutch cover ain't matte black... It's much more glossy. Used it anyway for the sake of protection, gonna get some gloss though. But the matte did work great on some scratches on the front fork. You'd never know they were there unless you're me and stare at your bike all day

Seeing the results is really making me consider getting a ColorRite touch-up pen for some of the scratches on the green since this came out so nice and it's just rando Rustoleum paint. But then, I do paint and draw for a hobby...

Old May 16th, 2016, 09:43 AM   #24
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
......I have no idea how to aim it at the exhaust bracket without hitting the rest of the exhaust.....
WD-40 will vaporize in no time.

I would support the exhaust first and remove that bolt, masking the exhaust later.

A little brush could help.

You are welcome

Old May 16th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #25
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If you wanted to paint that part of the muffler tab, I would -

Remove the mounting bolt.

Clean it very well to remove any oils or WD-40 on it. Wax and Grease Remover is the best, but Brake Cleaner or Alcohol will also work.

Use 320 sandpaper or a Scotchbrite pad to clean and scuff the surface.

Mask the areas on the muffler you don't want oversprayed and put some type of masking paper or cardboard behind it to stop overspray. Clean it again.

I would probably use an exhaust paint on it instead of a standard paint even though it's not going to get that hot. One advantage of an exhaust paint is you don't need a primer like you do with standard paint. A couple medium coats is all you need, with 10 minutes in between.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote