ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 9th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #1
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Thread found backing 600cc starters

Found this today while surfing around and thought it was pretty comical. Seems I'm always hearing people try to talk other people down from starting on a 600 and to go smaller first and this article is advocating starting on a 600 instead of a 1000. I'm sure a 600 is much better for learning than a 1000 but then I also feel like it's a situation of 'out of the frying pan and into the fire'. It may definitely be a better option than starting on a 1000, but from what I've had preached to me, it's not exactly the best option either, or the safest.

http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/motorc...art-small.html

For anyone else who finds this as unbelievable/comical as me, be sure to read the thread replies too.

Old March 9th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #2
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Look at the bright side of things: they gift others with so many used 600cc SS and parts while removing themselves from the gene pool. I say It's their god-given right as proud and strong 'merkin, damn it.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #3
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
I have heard a lot of inexperienced riders say things like "You will get bored on a smaller-cc bike." or "A 600 is a girl's bike."
Yup, because a bike with the power:weight ratio of a Lamborghini Aventador is for pussys.

Old March 10th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #4
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Honda forum.... figures...
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 02:18 AM   #5
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@Malicious Logic: if you mentally replace every instance of the number 1000 with the number 600 and every instance of 600 with 250, it makes for a really great article!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #6
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
@Malicious Logic: if you mentally replace every instance of the number 1000 with the number 600 and every instance of 600 with 250, it makes for a really great article!
Lol, I was telling my wife the same thing. It seriously looks like that's what someone did.

What I can't figure out is the replies. Everyone reply is cheering him on and totally agreeing....and yeah Josh, I don't think I've ever heard a 600 called a girls bike as described in this guy's post....especially not when they hit 0-60 in what? 3 sec? Cmon...

Old March 10th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #7
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

the honda boys want the same hp in both the bike and car

1000cc starter bike...WAT

Old March 10th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #8
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5.0 View Post
the honda boys want the same hp in both the bike and car

1000cc starter bike...WAT
Except I think a CBR1000RR makes more power than a Civic...

Old March 10th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Ahh man! I knew I needed to start on a 600cc. Ah I feel so stupid for buying a 250.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #10
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I'm sorry but there's nothing wrong with starting on a 600. I wouldn't argue that it's better than starting on a 250 for any reason, but it's not the end of the world...

Old March 10th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #11
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I agree with CynicalC. Whether you start out on a 250 or a 600 it all boils down to training , training, training with heavy emphasis on safety.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Quote:
+1... although it is definitely possible to start on a 600... just as it mentions in his article, if you start on a 250 instead and then move up you'll be an even better rider
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #13
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

I was in the local shop drooling at the ZX10R 2011. The salesman said it was a good starter bike I was like: YEAH RIGHT! But he told there's a big difference from old bikes with no electronics and the newer ones with abs and traction control etc. They had a totally tricked out ZX10R 2011 in winter storage for a customer, and he had tried leaning over and just giving the bike full throttle in a tight roundabout, and it was no problem

I don't know what to think, I mean damn the dude has balls to try something like that with his brand new bike, but it's abit scary to rely that much on electronics. But at the same time, that's what MotoGP riders etc to everytime they're on the track. Just see what happened to Lorenzo without his traction control.
Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Electronics make up for lack of throttle control? and harshness of engine braking? *shrugs* I don't know, maybe they do. Also kinda skeptical that MotoGP riders rely on ABS over skill but I don't watch it so maybe....

Nah, I don't think someone starting on a 600 would be the end of the world, just not necessarily the smartest choice...also wouldn't call it 'starting small' either.

Old March 11th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #15
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Sure you can learn on a 600. The process will be much easier on a 250. I would also argue against being a "better" rider just because one starts on a 250 as opposed to the 600. I would say that the person who starts on the 250 will become a better rider faster, but at some point the rider on the 600, if they are serious about learning and are practicing, will catch up to the 250 rider, and may even surpass them.

I personally am glad I started on the 250. I made few mistakes, and the ones I did make had more to do with braking than throttle control. And even those mistakes were because of the lack of braking power and the extreme forward dive I experienced early on. It could be argued that because I did have a gentle touch with regards to the controls, that I may have been better served by the SS brakes.

Even so, the worst incident I had with regards to throttle had to do with a severe loss of traction while leaned over hitting a corner I knew well aggresively. My best guess is I lost traction thanks to a cooling evening in the summer, and several tar snakes on the road. I lifted throttle the slip was so bad, and the bike immediately stood up. Thankfully there were no other cars in the opposing lane, one of the reasons I decided to hit the corner as hard as I did. Had that been the SS, there is a good chance that would have turned into a highside.

Newer riders, it's your decision at the end of the day. Just remember that a 250 costs less to maintain, insure, and fuel up than that hot SS. It also costs less to purchase and it ends up being a blast to ride, just the same. I recently sold my 600 because I am finalizing a divorce and I needed the money to pay some bills. The next 600 I buy will be two to three years from now when I know I have the cash to make track days a reality. I am currently looking for inexpensive 250s to purchase for my street riding pleasure.

Old March 11th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #16
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

I learned to ride on a 600, granted it was a 96 Suzuki Katana. I would not even consider learning to ride with the modern 600 SS.

My ninjette is great and it's everything I was looking for after a decade of not riding. Next couple of years I will upgrade to a 600 SS and give the ninjette to my wife who has now shown interest in riding.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #17
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Then again we ask why a 250 not a 125? =p

Old March 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #18
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
Ricer forum.... figures...
ftfy

Old March 12th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #19
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Don't be silly. 125's are girls bikes. Also: how is a new rider supposed to wheelie his bike if it's only got a 125 engine?

Old March 12th, 2012, 11:47 AM   #20
midknight
Darksider

Name: Britton

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV650S; 1982 Suzuki TS125

start on a 50cc! Good power for starters, very low to the ground so if you fall over it won't be that far of a fall, and you won't get to brake neck speeds! It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow (I am being very serious in this last sentence).

I started on a 125CC and moved to a SV650. Really wanted a ninja 250 but found a deal on the SV I couldn't pass up. I know SVs are not SS bikes but they're still quick. I subscribe to the idea that if you have good self control you can start on any bike you want to - but I also think starting on a ZX-10, ZX-14, busa, etc. is just crazy talk.
midknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2012, 02:32 PM   #21
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midknight View Post
I subscribe to the idea that if you have good self control you can start on any bike you want to - but I also think starting on a ZX-10, ZX-14, busa, etc. is just crazy talk.
And so long as a beginner who subscribes to that same philosophy never ends up in a situation that is beyond their control, then great, they can easily start on any bike they want. The problems come when that new rider gets in over their head for whatever reason.

Borrowed from Deadstick - Although I can handle the bike under normal circumstances, I am no longer confident that I can handle it in all circumstances. I think that is where the idea of a "beginner" bike really lies. It's not that a beginner can't ride it if he/she does everything correctly, it's that he/she should be able to ride it with a margin of safety even if he/she does something wrong or conditions exceed his/her skill level.

The above is my signature from http://www.beginnerbikers.org/forum.php. I saw it in a thread about discussing good starter bikes and I really liked it. Very straightforward and to the point. So I copied into my sig line on that site. It is so easy for people to forget what it is like for a new rider, or a new driver, or a new (insert dangerous hobby here), that they begin to think, "Yeah, I should have just started on that Busa." All one needs to do is find all of the COLOSSAL failures of new or newer riders, or even riders with some experience but poor training, that are posted all over the internet for proof that starting small may not be so bad after all. YouTube is a great place to start.

I've already said it before: You can start on anything you want, probably come out alright, and maybe even be a better rider than someone who started on a 250. It takes training and practice to do so, and in my experience, the people who want to automatically jump to the larger bikes lack the ability for delayed gratification. Which is why, usually, people who start smaller (125cc-650cc, no SS) end up doing better in the long run. Because they invest more in to the sport, part of which is researching and deciding a smaller bike isn't a bad choice as a starter.

Old March 12th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #22
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
Honda forum.... figures...
I came in to say this too. But then ive been a member of hondahookup.com (which is now crap after the revolution) for over 9 years. lolol
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

@Xoulrath - good thoughts here, I think you're spot-on.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #24
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Because you'll get run over if you can't do 90mph on the highway?

Old March 12th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #25
midknight
Darksider

Name: Britton

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV650S; 1982 Suzuki TS125

@Xoulrath - agree with you completely. I guess what I should have said was "I subscribe to the idea that if you have good self control you can start on any bike you want to - within reason. starting on a ZX-10, ZX-14, busa, etc. is just stupid." I learned a lot from starting on the 125cc - I was actually sorta intimidated when I took the MSF because they use Buell blasts here and they're 500cc and I hadn't ever been on a bike before. After I a little while I realized the blast wasn't anything to be intimidated about.

I have yet to ride a SS bike and honestly don't plan to anytime soon. When I took the MSF course, there was a guy there that said he had just bought a ZX10 as his first bike and my first thoughts were "are you crazy?!" Anywho...to each there own I guess. If somebody wants to buy one of those SS bikes as there first bike then I guess thats just more parts for more experienced riders when they get in over there heads.
midknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #26
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

guy up here has an s1000rr. he owned it 1/2 a mile, gunned it in sport mode on a cold day, put a big wear mark on one side of the rear tire and high sided it. as cool as the electronics are they aren't a saving grace for everything. maybe if he put it in rain mode things would have been different.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #27
blink
Always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Because you'll get run over if you can't do 90mph on the highway?
Old grannies don't get run over in their oldsmobiles doing 40 in an 80 zone?

Old March 13th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #28
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
When I hear "oldsmobile", I think of this:

Old March 13th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #29
blink
Always.

Quote:

I'd be scared if some people drove that thing around me... =p

Old March 13th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #30
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Definitely not the Oldsmobile most grandma's drive.

Old March 13th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #31
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Ha, I think of this....

It is amazing they didn't become defunct earlier than 2004. They made some crappy, ugly cars!

Old March 13th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #32
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
It's a lot harder to actually run over granny's station-wagon/tank than it is to think "This a-hole on his little bike going 20 under the limit doesn't need that whole lane! I can get by!" And then sideswipe you as he tries to lane-share.

Old March 13th, 2012, 05:05 PM   #33
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

I just don't see that happening..people are used to passing slow people.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #34
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Ha, I think of this....

It is amazing they didn't become defunct earlier than 2004. They made some crappy, ugly cars!
Yeah, this is more along the lines of what I both think of and witness.

Old March 13th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #35
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Here's my favorite Oldsmobiles:

Hard to believe that this was the power plant that propelled these two cars to over 257mph and 267mph.

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #36
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
[B]Ha, I think of this....
You know, that's really hurtful...I loved my Alero, it was always good to me.

...I've upgraded a couple times since then, here is my current car, hopefully you don't find it as appalling.
lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #37
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Ewwww...cars...my innocent eyes are corrupted.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #38
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by etiainen View Post
Ewwww...cars...my innocent eyes are corrupted.
Sorry about that, here is a pic of my girl nekkid to get your mind back on track

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #39
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc86 View Post
You know, that's really hurtful...I loved my Alero, it was always good to me.

...I've upgraded a couple times since then, here is my current car, hopefully you don't find it as appalling.

Oh gosh.... this is awkward! Lol. I am sorry you owned an Alero.

You definitely moved up in the world with that CTS-V. I sat in one at a car show a few months back. It was nice. I really liked the suede steering wheel and shifter and those Recaro seats. Personally, I would have gotten the wagon.

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #40
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Oh gosh.... this is awkward! Lol. I am sorry you owned an Alero.

You definitely moved up in the world with that CTS-V. I sat in one at a car show a few months back. It was nice. I really liked the suede steering wheel and shifter and those Recaro seats. Personally, I would have gotten the wagon.
I'll accept that, the olds was a huge pain in the ass, in fact that's the reason I stopped working on cars. when the driver side window dropped (for the 2nd time) I went and traded it in for a Scion tC. As for the Caddy, I bought this last year when it first came out, before the wagon was available. I still prefer the Coupe, but mostly because after owning it I dislike door handles, I think they make cars look tacky.