ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 4th, 2021, 10:38 AM   #1
Melikoth
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250R

Removing core from fuel tank lock?

Hello,

I'm working on a 2002 250R that is suffering from corrosion on the fuel cap. Did a bunch of research and finally the courage to take it apart, mostly following this great guide. Things were going fine until I sheared off a screw around step 8 and decided to drill it out and just order an OEM replacement.

The replacement part does not have a core in the lock, it's just empty. Using that part as a reference I still can't figure out how to remove the core from the old part. The new part doesn't appear to have any sort of retainer clips, so I suspect the key will need to turn which it unfortunately does not. I've been hitting the bottom of the assembly with blaster for a few days, but that hasn't loosened it at all, nor has some light taps from a hammer.

I've only managed to find this one image of a disassembled and it seems like a simple mechanism, but all the cheap replacements on Amazon seem to come with keys so it appears I'm trying to do something unusual by swapping the core out. Plenty of information on how to do this for the ignition, even some for the seat lock, but almost nothing on the fuel tank lock.

Does anyone know how to remove the core from the fuel tank lock?
Or is it just time I take it to a locksmith/dealer?

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 790190.jpg (41.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210904_130455556.jpg (78.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210904_130538512.jpg (60.8 KB, 5 views)
Melikoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2021, 05:44 PM   #2
rstnick
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R, 2000 ZRX1100C4, 1978 KZ650C2

I'm a locksmith.
I may have this gas cap in a book, I will have a look.
Usually there will be a retaining clip/wafer/tumbler.
The last one, past the length of the working key.
Sometimes you can see the retaining clip from the backside of the cylinder plug, but I don't see that in the pictures.
The cylinder plug pictured on the bottom left in the exploded view.
Hard to see the retaining wafer there, but it must be the deepest wafer.
Sometimes the cylinder plug needs to be rotated to a certain position before it can be pulled out.
rstnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 14th, 2021, 11:16 PM   #3
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Name: Honorio

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250

very curious

how did this workout? I had my key stolen, and decided to keep the original ignition and had a locksmith come and cut some new keys. my gas cap wont even unlock so I bought a new one from ebay and I'm curious how to get back to a single ley for ignition, fuel, helmet lock, and seat...

Old October 15th, 2021, 07:56 AM   #4
Melikoth
ninjette.org newbie

Unfortunately I haven't had any luck getting the core removed from the seized gas cap. Built up a little reservoir around the opening so that I could let it soak in Blaster for a few days and that had no effect.

I couldn't locate any retaining clips like rstnick described so I suspect it needs to turn partway in order to be removed. Mine has no play whatsoever, so turning it doesn't ever seem likely.

For the time I've simply put the OEM replacement on without a key core, but left the locking screw out so it can be removed somewhat easily.

Old October 16th, 2021, 08:01 AM   #5
rstnick
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R, 2000 ZRX1100C4, 1978 KZ650C2

Maybe these will help.
For the Concours, but 2001 Ninja 250r is similar.
Not sure if 2002 250r is.

rstnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2021, 09:15 AM   #6
Melikoth
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for taking the time to look that up and post the images, it does look exactly the same!

It seems I'll need to remove the metal cap with a nub (outer tailpiece) in order to access the retaining wafer. Mine was seized in place, so I definitely haven't gotten access to it yet. Time for another round effort.

Old October 16th, 2021, 12:10 PM   #7
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
thank's that very interesting! I've always read that tank lock only uses 5 positions off key, now I see how that works
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2021, 01:27 PM   #8
Melikoth
ninjette.org newbie

Since my outer tailpiece wasn't going anywhere I decided to try making a cut around the body of the lock where the O-ring should be on the inner tailpiece. My hope is that the O-ring will have halted the corrosions progress and if I cut the top off I should be able to pop the inner tailpiece out allowing me to reach the retaining wafer.

The good news is that I hit the O-ring, but some rain forced me to take a break so figured I'd post an update. Just using a hacksaw to hand cut it which will be really fun on the chunky side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut_spot.jpg (106.3 KB, 0 views)

Old October 21st, 2021, 02:24 PM   #9
Melikoth
ninjette.org newbie

We solved the mystery!

It worked! Took about 30 minutes to cut all the metal out around the O-ring working with hacksaw and vise grips. Used a second pair to grip the outer tailpiece and the inner came out with it. Extra lucky!

Wire brushed it out and I could see the retainer wafer (edges circled). At this point it looked crudded up, but I put the key in to see if it would spin and it did!

I left the key in at the neutral position and tried to figure out how to depress the retainer wafer. Tried my pocket knife, which worked. It stuck in, likely due to the crud, and I was able to push from the back and it popped out. Tapped it on the table a few times and the retaining wafer started working again. Just gonna clean it up and try popping it in the new cap.

Thanks for the help everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut1.jpg (69.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cut2.jpg (104.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cut3.jpg (57.0 KB, 3 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.