ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 26th, 2021, 10:37 AM   #1
Based12
ninjette.org member

Name: Erik

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R,

Speed sensor?

Hi! My recently purchased 2010 fuel injected 250R shoots an FI light sometimes past 8500 RPM.

I used the code reader (yellow cable thingy) and it drops 24 and 25, which seems to be the speed sensor, open or shorted cables.

I detached it from the bike, thoroughly cleaned it, used contact cleaner on all contacts, and the light still shows most times the engine goes past 8500 RPM.

Any idea about diagnosing it? Checked my service manual and it doesn't specify any procedure or check, it only says to buy a new speed sensor.

Thanks!
Based12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2021, 09:37 AM   #2
Based12
ninjette.org member

Could a loose chain cause it? I'm still waiting on a rear lift so I haven't put it to spec still, and the upper part of it touches the swingarm when stationary

Old April 7th, 2021, 03:40 AM   #3
Based12
ninjette.org member

Also, the light only shoots when going past those rpms while in motion. Does anyone at least know what does said speed sensor do? I can't find any info on the Internet, and I'm not keen on rolling around with a FI light on

Old May 1st, 2021, 11:25 AM   #4
Based12
ninjette.org member

Update: I finally got my license, longest 6 months ever!

Upon finally being able to extensively driving it, I've found the clutch to slip on 3rd to 4th gear upon full throttle after shifting, and it also being extremely noticeable if I let off the gas, give it gas, let of again and roll it up again..

Is there any way clutch slipping could throw said error?

Old May 4th, 2021, 06:19 AM   #5
Based12
ninjette.org member

So, I´ve read about the speed sensor, seems like it sends 4 pulses for each sprocket rotations and when pulses aren´t equal to the actual speed of the bike it throws an error.

Could it have something to do? I've preloaded the springs with 4 spark plug washers and it slips way less now but it's still somewhat noticeable, and the FI light still turns on sometimes, it's less frequent now but still lights up sometimes on the high revs, especially if I shift going hard and give it WOT right ater shifting.

Also, friction plates and springs are still in spec (springs are kinda close to service limit but they'll have to hold up until new springs and plates arrive)