ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:20 AM   #1
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Some riders are just dumb.

Yesterday I was riding home the on the interstate and a guy in a nice shinny red ZX-10R comes up from behind and starts to pass me. I decide to keep up with him for a little bit to get a good look at the bike and kick it up to about 80 MPH. I ride along side him for a little bit and see some tire treds up infront of of the car he is tailgaiting so I tap my horn point and stick out my foot to indicate that there is something infront of him in the road. He changes lanes and avoids the treds.

Then as we are starting to get out of the city, he desides to open up the throttle and blows way past me. I know my bike isn't capable, and I'm not insane enough to even try that type of speed, even if I had a bike that fast, so I just hung back at about 75-80 MPH.

This guy must have been going about 130 MPH as he started up a long grade. I'm familiar with this area as I go buy it every day. There is a gap in the divider between the north and southbound sides of the interstate about a quarter mile from where he opened up the throttle. at least once a week when I pass this gap there is a cop hidding behind the barrier waiting for the unsuspecting speeder to fly past. Yesterday was no exception.

As I rode past the gap I looked in my mirror to see a Utah State Trooper mounting his BMW. I non-shalontly maintained my speed well above the legal limit, because I knew where the cop was going.

The cop passed me at what I can guest was about 95 MPH, he waved to me gave me a malivilent smile and then speed up to what I could tell was about 110 MPH. Of course the guy in the ZX-10R had encountered some traffic and the Police Officer caught up with him about another two and half miles down the road and was just getting off his bike as I went past.

I can't believe that someone could be so stupid as to ride that fast on a moderately busy public road.

I'm sure he felt like a big man when he blew me away with his 170 hp, but I'm sure he shiveled up like a little boy in a swimming pool when he had a run in with reality.

I even found my self hoping the cop was strick to the law and held no leniancy for the guy in the ZX-10R. He was going almost twice the posted speed limit, and in Utah that is considered wreckless driving and it warents an automatic suspension of your license and impounding of the vehicle.

I don't mind speeders, but there is no excuse for idiocy.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 09:56 AM   #2
bobaab
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Ah yes, the satisfaction of an idiot getting caught in his act. Priceless
bobaab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Not that I condone that type of speeding (especially in traffic), and I'm definitely not trying to bring down your post or anything, but maybe he was just opening up for the sake of opening up.

Is going 130 mph on a public freeway dumb? Absolutely! But maybe he was aware of that and calculated the risk, and just decided to have a little fun on a bike that he would normally have to restrain himself on. Doing it in the midst of heavy traffic, or in bad weather is one thing....but given a nice stretch of wide open road, clear, sunny skies, 120+ hp on a ~450lb bike, how many of us wouldn't be able to resist a WOT run for a good 2-3 seconds?

Yea, I'll probably get brought down a few pegs for this, but we're all adults here. We're aware of the risks of riding a motorcycle every time we swing our legs over one, but we do it anyway. In the end, it comes down to our own judgement and maturity levels....and to judge someone based on his or her wanting to speed a bit seems a little harsh to me. We have similar speeding laws up here in Toronto. I personally wouldn't push my bike to those speeds....but that is my preference. If I see someone pushing their bike to insane speeds on an open highway, I won't think any less of them for it. It's a different story when there's a moderate amount of traffic around...people should just know better....but if it's just you and the road. Why not?
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM   #4
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
....but if it's just you and the road. Why not?
Guilty.

I'll admit when I was young and stupid I took more then one car up to 100+ on open roads.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:09 AM   #5
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Not that I condone that type of speeding (especially in traffic), and I'm definitely not trying to bring down your post or anything, but maybe he was just opening up for the sake of opening up.

Is going 130 mph on a public freeway dumb? Absolutely! But maybe he was aware of that and calculated the risk, and just decided to have a little fun on a bike that he would normally have to restrain himself on. Doing it in the midst of heavy traffic, or in bad weather is one thing....but given a nice stretch of wide open road, clear, sunny skies, 120+ hp on a ~450lb bike, how many of us wouldn't be able to resist a WOT run for a good 2-3 seconds?

Yea, I'll probably get brought down a few pegs for this, but we're all adults here. We're aware of the risks of riding a motorcycle every time we swing our legs over one, but we do it anyway. In the end, it comes down to our own judgement and maturity levels....and to judge someone based on his or her wanting to speed a bit seems a little harsh to me. We have similar speeding laws up here in Toronto. I personally wouldn't push my bike to those speeds....but that is my preference. If I see someone pushing their bike to insane speeds on an open highway, I won't think any less of them for it. It's a different story when there's a moderate amount of traffic around...people should just know better....but if it's just you and the road. Why not?
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:11 AM   #6
tjkamper

I've gone plenty fast in my day too, but I've wised up a lot and I've realized that I used to be an idiot.

But even in my crazy days, I never would have gone that fast in that particular situation. (time of day, other cars on the road, that particular stretch of road).

Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Fair enough....I mean I definitely know when to push it and when not to. I'm not as dumb as I used to be but I still get a case of the stupids every now and then haha
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM   #8
tjkamper

Yeah I think none of us are immune from BMS (Brief Moments of Stupidity).

Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:19 PM   #9
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Travis, The way I see it--going down the road at Mach-1 is not particularly bright. When my Ninja was broken in, I wanted to see how fast it would go. It showed 105 on the speedo--which is probably 95 for real. So where did I open it up? The track at Loudon NH. That`s the place for that sort of thing without risking your life and license. Probably a lot cheaper than a ticket--and you get good pointers from the folks that run the school. It was also a lot of fun. Next summer I plan to take the entire Sport Bike Riding Course.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2009, 02:21 PM   #10
tjkamper

You got the right idea Alex.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM   #11
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

i agree, with him being dumb for doing that, also... i might be temped given the same take! open road, no cars nearby... fast bike... Hmmmm!

oh saily, hey your avatar. your Bikes got 4 turn signals up front?
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM   #12
tjkamper

The bottom ones look like fog lights to me.

Old September 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM   #13
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

they are fog lights

Old September 22nd, 2009, 05:42 PM   #14
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

In Virginia, 80 and over "can" get your license suspended on the spot. Reckless driving among other things is 20 MPH over the posted speed limit, changing lanes without signals, and many more variations.

Just an FYI, for those of you who like to ride in DC, the speed limit throughout the city is 25 MPH, exclusive of the interstates (295 and 395) that pass over the edges of the city!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:30 AM   #15
winnie5354
ninjette.org member

Name: winnie5354

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250R

Definitely admire the gut of this guy. There are so many variables on public road.
I think that he is lucky to be caught by police instead of ending up as bloody decoration on asphalt.
winnie5354 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Travis, The way I see it--going down the road at Mach-1 is not particularly bright. When my Ninja was broken in, I wanted to see how fast it would go. It showed 105 on the speedo--which is probably 95 for real. So where did I open it up? The track at Loudon NH. That`s the place for that sort of thing without risking your life and license. Probably a lot cheaper than a ticket--and you get good pointers from the folks that run the school. It was also a lot of fun. Next summer I plan to take the entire Sport Bike Riding Course.
Alex,
Who put the course on at Loudon?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:49 PM   #17
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
The bottom ones look like fog lights to me.
oh, now those would come in handy! Man ive rode in many foggy mornings around here to work! Ill look into these for next year, and put them on along with when i do HID headlight kit!

Alex (saily) what brand of fog lights are those on your green baby? got a link by chance man?
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2009, 06:34 PM   #18
Nevrfastenuf
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ER-6n 2009 Ninja 250 sold :(

Quote:
This guy must have been going about 130 MPH as he started up a long grade. I'm familiar with this area as I go buy it every day. There is a gap in the divider between the north and southbound sides of the interstate about a quarter mile from where he opened up the throttle. at least once a week when I pass this gap there is a cop hidding behind the barrier waiting for the unsuspecting speeder to fly past. Yesterday was no exception.
I know the exact stretch of road you are speaking of and I don't know why people have such an urge to speed through there, I saw someone get pulled over in that same area last time I went through there. I rather like the new BMWs that the troopers have, they are nice looking bikes

"Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" -Unknown
Nevrfastenuf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 06:52 AM   #19
tjkamper

They are beautiful. I really like that sport touring design. It seems to be a near perfect combination for sporty and comfortable. I think the older style BMW are just plaine ugly. I really don't like that mix between sport and dual purpose with splash of touring bike. They just looked out of place. But those new BMW are so much nicer. I for sure thought I was going to buy Yami R6 in a few years, but those new BMW might be the way to go.

Old September 25th, 2009, 07:02 AM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Isn't that Erik Estrada in the third row on the old Harley?
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #21
tjkamper

No he missed this ride because Tony Stewart gave him 6 months of detention.

Old September 25th, 2009, 07:28 PM   #22
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

There is something to be said about self restraint. I don't have any that's way I got a 250. lol. That way I can flog it without mercy and still mantain a relatively good safety margin. Not to to say 160kmph isn't fast but it is not nearly as fast as 240+, which I've found myself doing on bigger bikes. If you've got the power you ARE going to use and abuse it. Now before you all start saying I'm nuts, crazy, insane, etc; for doing those speeds on road. How many of you can go out for a 200km ride and maybe see 3 cars on the road, if that. So it is all about the where and the when. That IS why I like my 250 because I would rather have to work at trying to do 160kmph than restrain myself to stay under it. Like they say " It's more funny riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #23
emt250
2 Wheel Newb

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

Quote:
No he missed this ride because Tony Stewart gave him 6 months of detention.
I would so wear a pair of estrada sun glasses....