ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old August 13th, 2019, 11:37 AM   #1
lowspeedpursuit
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): Newgen Ninja 250

Bike sometimes runs poorly, fuel delivery? Rain in tank?

Yesterday my 250 newgen would barely accelerate, especially from a dead stop. Ran worse and worse until it would die with enough throttle. Idled completely fine. Plugs look fine. Ran slightly better on full choke, so a fuel problem. This is the 2nd time this has happened; last time I was home, drained and filled the tank and things went back to normal. This time, I left the bike running, and after idling fine for 10-15 minutes I was able to accelerate like normal and drive home. The bike was already hot, so I feel like this implies a small clog or bad gas which eventually cleared? I have a real inline fuel filter, and I've checked the vacuum line and petcock with my vacuum pump, so that points towards bad gas.

I need to figure out why this is happening so I don't end up stranded away from home. There was an extremely bad storm this past week; could rain be infiltrating my tank? The big seal on the gas cap looks decent, but gas leaks out easily if you turn the tank upside down without draining it. The vent and drain holes near the tank filler are free of any major blockages. I don't see any water in the gas I drained, but I could see there not being very much and managing to stumble through it when I left the bike running.

Thoughts?

EDIT: This topic took a couple days to get approved, so I had some more time to work on it and the seal is definitely toast, it has a slit between the top and bottom sections, on the left side in the 2nd pic where the rubber has that bubble. What are people doing to replace these? Officially the cap is a complete assembly for $130+ and then you'll still have to switch over the locks, which is pretty ridiculous, and I'm not really interested in buying used to replace a seal.

EDIT 2: So I never got any feedback on this, but for the sake of anyone who finds this later with a similar problem, I grabbed one of those screw-on billet aftermarket gas caps you can find on amazon or ebay for $30 - $50. Still expensive for a seal, but it was always frustrating how my keys would stick in the locking gas cap anyway, so win-win. It's rained since then and my bike hasn't freaked out, so here's hoping I was right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PHOTO_20190813_140704.jpg (67.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg PHOTO_20190813_140708.jpg (76.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg PHOTO_20190813_140721.jpg (67.7 KB, 5 views)

Last futzed with by lowspeedpursuit; October 5th, 2019 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Added proposed solution to problem, for reference
lowspeedpursuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2020, 10:29 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Just confirming that it was the seal that was giving you grief.
You would think that would be an individual part for replacement but I guess not. Kudos to finding a solution.

Old March 6th, 2020, 12:21 AM   #3
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Just confirming that it was the seal that was giving you grief.
You would think that would be an individual part for replacement but I guess not. Kudos to finding a solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowspeedpursuit View Post
EDIT 2: So I never got any feedback on this, but for the sake of anyone who finds this later with a similar problem, I grabbed one of those screw-on billet aftermarket gas caps you can find on amazon or ebay for $30 - $50. Still expensive for a seal, but it was always frustrating how my keys would stick in the locking gas cap anyway, so win-win. It's rained since then and my bike hasn't freaked out, so here's hoping I was right.
Thanks for raising this thread from dead! I've had the same issue as OP with a leaky gas cap that would dump fuel whenever I had the bike in a lean with a full tank. The bike didn't run poorly but I was getting terrible gas mileage until I found a temp solution. I disassembled and cleaned the cap, sealed the lower gasket with gasket sealant and lubed everything with silicone spray

Looks like I can buy those cheapo gas tank caps and harvest the rubber seal to put in my OEM gas cap.

Really annoying that Kawasaki doesn't offer the rubber gasket seperately. In their manual, it even says if the gasket is worn, to replace it. Replace it with what spare part?!

nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2020, 07:58 PM   #4
Emu
ninjette.org member

Name: Emu

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

Thank you so much for figuring this out. I have been racking my brain on this for a while now. My cap seal isn't as bad as yours but it is dry and cracked but I am getting the EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS. I'll post here if I figure out if it was the same issue as yours.

I think it's super dumb that I literally can't find a part number for this gasket anywhere. You mind linking the cap you ended up getting?
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2020, 07:45 PM   #5
Emu
ninjette.org member

Name: Emu

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

It was the gas cap, please boost the crap out of this to save a noob. I tried literally everything from cleaning my carbs, spark plugs, adjusting valve clearance, EVERYTHING.

Thank god lowspeedpursuit figured this out and signal boosted the post.

I ordered a new oem style cap for $20.88 from vipih, only because the coronavirus thing is going on and I wanted to make sure it was US stock.

https://vipih.com/products/lockgas-k...3981a257&_ss=r

The fitment was a little odd, I had to get the 3 socket head cap screws going first and rotate the whole assembly because the holes didn't feel like they were completely free of resistance. Once I knew all 3 were threaded smoothly I snugged them down then went to the retention Phillips screw on the inside of the cap. The tab is designed a little differently, I thought I was cross threading it but I wasn't. The old cap had a nice sharp and defined ledge for the screw to seat fully onto, the new one does not, it's curved so it binds hard before it is fully seated.

I'm calling this good enough for me right now because I'd rather ride than wait longer. For now I am just gonna run 2 keys, in a few weeks I'll hit up a lock smith and have them cut a new key (don't have a spare) and re-key my new gas cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200402_212730.jpg (82.7 KB, 1 views)
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2020, 01:23 AM   #6
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu View Post
It was the gas cap, please boost the crap out of this to save a noob. I tried literally everything from cleaning my carbs, spark plugs, adjusting valve clearance, EVERYTHING.

Thank god lowspeedpursuit figured this out and signal boosted the post.

I ordered a new oem style cap for $20.88 from vipih, only because the coronavirus thing is going on and I wanted to make sure it was US stock.

https://vipih.com/products/lockgas-k...3981a257&_ss=r

The fitment was a little odd, I had to get the 3 socket head cap screws going first and rotate the whole assembly because the holes didn't feel like they were completely free of resistance. Once I knew all 3 were threaded smoothly I snugged them down then went to the retention Phillips screw on the inside of the cap. The tab is designed a little differently, I thought I was cross threading it but I wasn't. The old cap had a nice sharp and defined ledge for the screw to seat fully onto, the new one does not, it's curved so it binds hard before it is fully seated.

I'm calling this good enough for me right now because I'd rather ride than wait longer. For now I am just gonna run 2 keys, in a few weeks I'll hit up a lock smith and have them cut a new key (don't have a spare) and re-key my new gas cap.
This is great info. I had this problem 2 months back and my head cap ended up being the problem.

I feel your pain, i did valve adjustments and all, and who would have thought the fricken gas cap would be the source of pain?!
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote