ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #1
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

Name: Connor

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

dumb question, but serious

so both of my backup vehicles are not available for me to use to go to work tonight, and its supposed to violently storm for the rest of the night. now, this may be a stupid question, but id like to know if im going to be alright or if im going to die...

in cars, you are protected from lightning from the metal cage (frame) and grounded by the rubber tires. since bikes dont have a metal frame surrounding me, could i be struck by lightning while riding? again, i know, improbable, but id like some peace of mind
cmSAE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you arent going to die from lightning. you might die from some idiot in a car hitting you. or if you cant see from so much rain that you run into something. or if at your destination you eat something yoou are alergic to and are unable to get help in time. or if the wind is soo bad that it picks up fence posts and hurls them through the air into your chest...

the first hour of a storm is the worst in terms of traction. the oil on the asphalt comes up and is very slick with the water. once it washes away its fine. wind can screw you especially on low traction with low vis from the rain. esp. when its going directly to the side.

you might die from hypothermia

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It's rare, but it certainly does happen occasionally:

http://rapidcityjournal.com/news/man...cc4c002e0.html
http://www.courierpress.com/news/201...ghtning-in-ky/
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...56/detail.html
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...81/detail.html

But alex.s's list of what are much more likely risks of riding in a storm is spot-on.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #4
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
"There are no dumb questions"

Old March 15th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #5
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

Name: Connor

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

haha alex.s, yea, thats what i figured. here in NC, people are terrible drivers, so i already am ready for all of those things to happen, just asking about the UNexpected. haha. thanks for the info, after reading those articles im very excited to ride. SIKE!
cmSAE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
honestly in storms he worst thing that happens to me is when riding near cars to make use of their headlights, they frequently fling quite large rocks at you. ive been hit in the chest, arms, head... they hurt. especially if you are going fast. if you arent paying attention one could easily knock you off if it hits you in the head just right. ive been hit in the head by rocks in that situation and its not fun. about like getting punched in the face by a larger gentleman. a few weeks ago it happened and i honestly had to stop and collect myself because my head was spinning and ringing so hard from the rock.

Old March 15th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #7
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

View of lightning much better from helmet than through windshield, so enjoy the show.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
The danger is higher while riding on open flat fields, where the bike+rider becomes a concentrator of charges.

Riding among buildings, or tall trees, antennas or poles makes you less "attractive" from the point of view of the lighting discharge.

Hope you report your experience back
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #9
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
View of lightning much better from helmet than through windshield, so enjoy the show.
As long as your helmet is not one of these, you should be good to go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB220164.jpg (71.0 KB, 0 views)
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote