ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 31st, 2019, 05:42 AM   #1
ninjette.org member

Name: Garry

Motorcycle(s): GPX250 1989 model and 1990 model

Paint System I use

This is probably only of use to Australian members?

I have been trying to find a rattle can paint system that is readily available, simple and easy to use, single pack and in a range of colours. What I have come up with is a product called Dulux Duramax available from Bunnings Hardware in spray cans followed up by Septone Clear Acrylic Lacquer available from Supercheap Auto and also in spray cans.

I apply 4 coats of the Duramax (one tack coat followed by three double coats). I try and avoid runs but it is not critical as they can be sanded out. After seven days I sand out any orange peel, runs and degloss with 400 wet and dry.

I then spray on four coats of the Septone Clear Acrylic Lacquer (one full coat followed by three double coats but careful to avoid runs). The Septone seems to completely level out over a 24 hour period and requires very little compounding for a high gloss finish. The good bit is that the Septone lacquer is able to be compounded to a smooth high gloss finish and completely compatible with the Duramax colour coat.

I know the finish is probably not chemical proof but neither are most of the dedicated automative rattle can systems on the market. But this works for me and being a bike the bits are reasonably easy to redo if necessary. Hopefully attached is a picture of a fuel tank I have just finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16E4D055-D7F6-4623-BEB9-09E8C55F5647.jpg (75.2 KB, 2 views)

Old May 31st, 2019, 06:47 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
If available, I'd recommend trying SprayMax 2K clear. It's the most durable and fuel-resistant spray can paint you will find. It is a 2-part catalyzed paint, and you puncture a bladder inside the can to activate.

I've used it over Duplicolor auto touch-up spray with good results. Just let the base flash, then apply the clear in a couple medium/heavy wet coats. It doesn't dull or chalk, and doesn't run very easily.

Sooner or later you will splash gas on the tank, and a regular (non-catalyzed) paint/clear is going to soften and dull - which sucks after doing all that work.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 31st, 2019, 07:40 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Yes to what Jay said! The lacquer will immediately be ruined the first time gasoline gets on it. My 250 has acrylic lacquer color coat and Spraymax 2K over that, and it didn't even need any work after applying it. It's extremely glossy and free of orange peel as-is.

You should be able to put the Spraymax 2K over your existing clear coat without a problem, but of course testing in a hidden spot would be wise. The clear will last at least a week after you push the big button and mix the two parts if you keep the can in a refrigerator. I know because I did that and it did not degrade in that time.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 31st, 2019, 03:17 PM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yeah, I'm not sure lacquer will hold up to petrol.

When restoring my friend's 1927 Rolls Royce, in order to maintain authenticity and original paint, we scraped off all original lacquer, ground it up and dissolved in thinner. Then sprayed it back on! Was able to declare at Pebble Beach that it was "all original paint"!!! ahhahhahahah.....

The next one we did with Dupon Imron and it was much more glossy and more durable.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2019, 07:17 PM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure lacquer will hold up to petrol.

When restoring my friend's 1927 Rolls Royce, in order to maintain authenticity and original paint, we scraped off all original lacquer, ground it up and dissolved in thinner. Then sprayed it back on! Was able to declare at Pebble Beach that it was "all original paint"!!! ahhahhahahah.....

The next one we did with Dupon Imron and it was much more glossy and more durable.
I've been painting for 40 years, and never heard that one!
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2019, 12:26 AM   #6
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

I also am a big big fan of the spraymax 2k clearcoats. I've done some perfect looking tanks with it. And boy is it hard once dry. Just one thing make sure you do it outside and don't stand downwind. Or wear a proper mask because it will make you sick if you inhale enough of the fumes and overspray. First hand experience!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 1st, 2019, 06:27 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by krolinked View Post
I also am a big big fan of the spraymax 2k clearcoats. I've done some perfect looking tanks with it. And boy is it hard once dry. Just one thing make sure you do it outside and don't stand downwind. Or wear a proper mask because it will make you sick if you inhale enough of the fumes and overspray. First hand experience!
Good advice! The type of mask to get is an organic solvent respirator. You can get decent ones at reasonable prices and they work. I was lucky enough to time my spraying for the spring when it was just warm enough outside but the bugs hadn't come out yet. Here in the summer I'd have to do it in the garage with a respirator on.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote