ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 6th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #1
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

Emulators worth the money or are springs good enough?

to give you guys a background I'm a season rider who has put 50,000+ miles on my 09. I ride hard, 80% of the time at 9000+ rpm's and I love twisties and do some trackdays as well.

Since I'm with my bike for the long run I've done tasteful mods, such as rearset adjusters, clip ons, Akrapovic exhaust, shim/snorkel delete. I like how my bike is now, the only thing lacking is suspension. Its all stock and has been beat to **** at this point.

I was thinking of getting Race Tech springs for my weight and then started looking into the emulators as well. Springs are about $120 and can easily be popped in while doing a fork oil change. Emulators on the other hand will cost a lot more, about 180 for the parts and 2-3 hours labour (its not something I'd do myself).

I have a good relation with my local shop and the mechanic there who is an ex WSBK racer said pop in the springs and leave it at that...emulators are not worth it, especially on a bike with no front adjustment. He said since I've ridden 6 seasons on stock settings proper springs a rear shock will be a huge improvement for me. I'd also save a few hundred bucks.

So, to guys who have done this or have knowledge of this mod, are springs alone a good enough upgrade or is worthwhile to invest in emulators as well?

PS: Looking at the spring rate calculator when I put in my weight on the street setting it gives me a spring rate of .75kg/mm on track its .80kg/mm. What is the difference between street and track settings? Is it accounting for harder riding style or extra weight from full track gear? I ask this because even on the street I ride HARD and am usually fully geared up.

Old October 6th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Emulators are somewhat useless without the proper spring rate. Go with springs first and emulators down the line. You will notice a big change in handling with the proper rate springs. I went with the ricor intiminators for a good deal and handling did improve in bumpy situation but I still bottomed out under hard braking.

Old October 6th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^ yep, springs will get you 80 for 20. Thing is, the 20 percent is personal feel and rider needs. You can always add the emulators or intimidators later if you can't get the suspension action you as a rider are after. imho, the biggest front end setup issues are springs, preload spacer length and the weight of oil for "you".
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #4
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Correct springs are far more important that the emulators, but emulators can provide you another method of fine tuning your suspension action over the standard orifice fluid damping you get from the stock setup. It is personal preference as to how much money and time you want to put into your setup. You can make lots of headway with correct rate springs, setting your sag via preload properly, then tuning what you can with air gap and oil weight.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2014, 07:43 AM   #5
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

and just FYI - if your not comfortable with doing the emulator install yourself, chances are you are its not worth the cost of paying someone else and your not going to be pulling and adjusting the emulators to get it "perfect" anyways. Just go with springs, spacers, and up your oil weight. Sounds like close enough for what you need.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2014, 06:17 AM   #6
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

I have 2 Ninjas race bikes without emulators and one with. I find NO difference with the emulators, actually my fastest laps have been on the bike witout!
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #7
SSneekey6.0
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

Agree with everybody else. Swapped my stock springs to Sonic Springs the other day and went for a ride last night. Night and day difference!
SSneekey6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote