ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 23rd, 2014, 05:18 PM   #1
BearZ
ninjette.org member

Name: Zubair

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Gas coming out of overflow tube. Engine not starting.

Hey y'all. I'm having bit of an issue with my ninjette. I changed the oil on Sunday and everything seemed fine until Monday when I got back home from work I smelled gasoline fumes. I went to the garage and there was a puddle of gasoline under the bike. I investigated and found that there was gas coming out of the overflow tube. I figured it was caused by me accidentally flooding the engine. I took the oil out and the overflow stopped letting out gas. I found that there was gasoline mixed into the oil (I didn't mix it, obviously) I took all the oil/gas out but left the new filter in. Replaced it with brand new oil and now the bike won't start again and there is gas coming out of the overflow. What's wrong with my bike? What can I do to fix it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
BearZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Aodrn
It's a long boring story

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Im making a guess, but it sounds like a stuck open float on the carb. It overflows and goes through the valves and into the cylinder. Then into the crankcase. The oil change sounds like a coincidental thing.
#41 MCRA

alex.s :crashing is a normal part of life... people are just in denial about that.
Aodrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:02 PM   #3
BearZ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodrn View Post
Im making a guess, but it sounds like a stuck open float on the carb. It overflows and goes through the valves and into the cylinder. Then into the crankcase. The oil change sounds like a coincidental thing.
That's what I've gathered after a bit of reaearch. How do I go about fixing the issue?

Old September 23rd, 2014, 08:06 PM   #4
Aodrn
It's a long boring story

Most likely, it is some crap on the float needle. Regardless, I would take the carbs and clean them out. I wouldn't think it was a bad needle, but its possible.
#41 MCRA

alex.s :crashing is a normal part of life... people are just in denial about that.

Old September 24th, 2014, 05:31 AM   #5
BearZ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodrn View Post
Most likely, it is some crap on the float needle. Regardless, I would take the carbs and clean them out. I wouldn't think it was a bad needle, but its possible.
It's a 2012 with just over 3500 miles on it, it shouldn't be breaking down at all...

Anyway, I looked around the site and most of the DIY carb removing/cleaning threads are way out of date. All of them are missing photos. I watched a video but it didn't help much. I don't want to break stuff further.

Old September 24th, 2014, 05:46 AM   #6
BlownWideOpen
ninjette.org guru

Name: Artie

Motorcycle(s): Stuff

Then take it to a technician, it's not going to fix itself!

Old September 24th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #7
Aodrn
It's a long boring story

with 3500 miles I would not expect any actual damage. It has to be some sort of dirt on the float needle. Just familiarize yourself with the basic parts of a carburetor and it is very easy to clean that part out.just dropped the fuel bowl pull that float needle out and blow a crapload of carb cleaner in there.download a shop manual and it will instructions on how to remove the carburetors.
#41 MCRA

Old September 25th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #8
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
You can try draining the bowls and letting them fill back up (a few times if needed) to try to flush anything out of the valve. You can also try dumping some SeaFoam or another cleaner directly down the fuel line to the carb.

If you can't flush it out, you (or someone you pay) will need to pull the carbs and check it out.

If it sat for a while, the rubber could've deteriorated, leading to a bad seal or debris from something upstream. I wouldn't expect major problems on something that new, but it's possible some small things might need to be replaced, depending on the exact conditions the bike has lived in.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2014, 12:06 PM   #9
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Swing by my place and I'll show you. I have to pull the carbs again and redo my jetting back to stock since I switched back to the stocker exhaust system.

Old September 25th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #10
BearZ
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the help. There is a shop in front of my work that does this sort of thing all day. I went and had a chat with them and I'm going to take my 250 in on Saturday and have them take a look at it. I am going to ask my boss if I can borrow the company Van and trailer on Friday so I can move my bike.

Old October 11th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Did it get sorted?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #12
BearZ
ninjette.org member

Yes it was resolved. I took it to a shop and they fixed it. There was gas in the cylinders.