ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 27th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #81
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumm3r9 View Post
the sportisi hugger WILL work. I have a sportisi on my 170 tire and widened swingarm. How did you make that fit even after you widen the swingarm???

You should not have to mill the hub....yes it will set deeper but you can accomplish the same thing by trimming some of the rubber off the dampers.

I used an 06 hub so I'm not sure about the 09 hub..... I have confirmed the 06-09 hubs are the same part.
Quote:
So the tire needs to be moved to the left? whats the alignment with the sprockets look like? (Appears fine) the chain? (appears fine) If it needs to be moved to the left a couple washers next to the caliper might influence it a BIT...... I didn't have this problem though so I'm puzzled.
As far as why you were able to move the hub over just by triming the little "****" of the dampers. The hub will NOT move over without triming the hub sleeve that fits the hub bearing and meets the wheel bearing. All parts involved with the assembly should be making "metal to metal" contact by engineering design. This way you can't tighten the axle nut no further than required so as to not crush anything. You sir I believe are missing a part. It's the only way trimming the rubber solely would work. IMHO if this is the case, you bike is not safe to ride. Please reference the picture below. You would have to missing the the part I outlined in red. You can also see the parts diagram for the 650R here (part# 42036): http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/27683

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 27th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #82
supermanster
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 09

This is why Im always asking if the Sprocket HUB will undergo surgery

Anyways, I will check on the Bearings model/part/code number so that I can buy a bearing with 650R od and 250r id.

Thanks for sharing again.
supermanster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #83
drumm3r9
ninjette.org member

Name: Kyle

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250r

in reference to the hub sleeve. I have that part. I see your logic in the "sinking" in of the hub. I guess mine didn't sink in at all? regardless, alignment is good now. Any luck with your bike?

As far as the hugger, its made of fiberglass so it almost went on as is. In order to make it fit correctly I used a razor blade to cut two slits near the front of the hugger (where it fits close to the shock) then I put it on the bike. After that I used a fiberglass repair kit to fix the slits I created and it was finished. Hugger is durable and will flex without any breakage Basically I just made the slits to give me about another .5 inches of play with the hugger, then fixed it up. you can see pictures of it.....just hop over to my thread in the farkles section.....
drumm3r9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #84
drumm3r9
ninjette.org member

as far as milling of the hub sleeve, that is a tricky area that I guess no one has covered and I'm glad it has been brought up.....you would need to see how bad alignment is, then measure the appropriate distance it would take to align everything correctly. Then mill that distance off of the sleeve? I have no idea here just guessing.......can you take a picture of the rear of the bike so we can look at the alignment? i picture is worth 1000 words....in my thread I was able to look at one of the pictures I posted and was able to diagnose a problem I had with the brake caliper very easy just by looks alone.

Old September 29th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #85
dubojr1

Quote:
as far as milling of the hub sleeve, that is a tricky area that I guess no one has covered and I'm glad it has been brought up.....you would need to see how bad alignment is, then measure the appropriate distance it would take to align everything correctly. Then mill that distance off of the sleeve? I have no idea here just guessing.......can you take a picture of the rear of the bike so we can look at the alignment? i picture is worth 1000 words....in my thread I was able to look at one of the pictures I posted and was able to diagnose a problem I had with the brake caliper very easy just by looks alone.
Actually I was one the people that requested pics to help diagnos the issue you were having with your brakes.

I'll try to get some pictures up here. I'm waiting on my caliper mount to come back then I can do something. Some of your hub side and rotor side may be helpful too.

Old September 29th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #86
drumm3r9
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Actually I was one the people that requested pics to help diagnos the issue you were having with your brakes.
ahhhh thats right! yea I looked back at one of the earlier pics I posted of the caliper and disc and saw what the problem was so it helped ( needed bleeding ). After that was taken care of...as well as a tiny alignment issue (caused thanks to my "welder") was fixed, the bike is now running great and everything is in order. I think the reason that the process is coming along different for the both of us is do to the fact of the widened swingarm. Because of this i did no caliper milling etc etc.......... looking forward to pics.

Old October 4th, 2010, 06:44 AM   #87
dubojr1

Ok guys... I'm tired of my bike being in pieces. Its been nearly a month now. I've decided to put her back togther using all stock parts. Maybe I'll try this mod again in the future. Anyone interested in buying out my parts. Most everything is completed I think. Still need to get the rear tire balanced and some more mod'n to the caliper mount to make it all work. Just want to get back what I got in it but I'm willing to take offers.

Parts are for sale here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...849#post220849

Old October 4th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #88
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Put the NEW rear tire on the stock wheel!!!!!!!!!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2010, 10:18 PM   #89
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

wow...you're 95% done already..just machine down the rear caliber holder and have it all installed..
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #90
drumm3r9
ninjette.org member

I had my bike in pieces for about 3 months while I was doing this, my koso install and protons and stuff. It sucked not riding but the final outcome was awesome! hang in there. It took me awhile to do this as well (about 6 weeks total) and I'm really happy. Your pioneering this for those not wanting to widen the swingarm so its going to be hard and there isn't going to be alot of info. That was one scary thing when I started doing this mod.

Old October 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #91
dubojr1

Quote:
I had my bike in pieces for about 3 months while I was doing this, my koso install and protons and stuff. It sucked not riding but the final outcome was awesome! hang in there. It took me awhile to do this as well (about 6 weeks total) and I'm really happy. Your pioneering this for those not wanting to widen the swingarm so its going to be hard and there isn't going to be alot of info. That was one scary thing when I started doing this mod.
Still love to see detailed pics of yours in all angles!

Old October 5th, 2010, 03:57 PM   #92
drumm3r9
ninjette.org member

you name the angles and you got it.....the chain is off right now....found out the chain I got from ebay was part of a defective batch from a company (thats why it was so cheap) so I'm buying a new EK chrome O-ring chain (pricey but nice).....so let me know the angles and I'll get some pics. The bike is in the truck right now too but it shouldn't be a problem.

Old October 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #93
dubojr1

Looking for a couple from the left and a couple from the right. Also from straight behind the bike. Pics should be from high and low of the right, left, and behind.

Old October 5th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #94
dubojr1

Btw. I figured out that the newninja setup will not work without milling the Cush hub. I think I'm gonna try to figure this out. Just take some more time. I'll prolly be fab'n this time on my wife's bike.

Old October 5th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #95
drumm3r9
ninjette.org member

so your just going to mill down the inside of the sprocket hub? that will make it sink in for sure....question is....how much milling is needed?

Old October 5th, 2010, 04:49 PM   #96
drumm3r9
ninjette.org member

as for the pics....I'm going to have to remove the swingarm cover to get pics of everything lined up.....the cover does a good job of hiding the rear sprocket and you can't really see the front sprocket from the rear with the cover on (nor the swingarm) so i'll remove it soon and get some pics then.

Old October 5th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #97
dubojr1

Quote:
so your just going to mill down the inside of the sprocket hub? that will make it sink in for sure....question is....how much milling is needed?
Actually I was thinking the milling will need to be done on the sprocket side. Inside really can't change I don't think.

Old October 5th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #98
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

can't mill the brake bracket like the other guy did?
wheel $$$ > bracket (if you screw up).
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2010, 07:22 PM   #99
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
can't mill the brake bracket like the other guy did?
wheel $$$ > bracket (if you screw up).
Actually that guys idea is NOT gonna work. Milling the caliper mount solely will not get the alignment of the wheel correct. If you look at the "Bigfoot" thread on here (post #23) you see that he includes a new hub with his kit. The wheel is too far to the right and the only way to fix this is too narrow the Cush hub, not the wheel. Another words the sprocket must get closer to the tire.

I say again..... milling the caliper mount only will not work. The Cush hub will need to modified also.

Old October 6th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #100
drumm3r9
ninjette.org member

yes exactly. The sprocket must come in closer to the wheel to help alignment with the front sprocket.

So i'm still confused....your going to mill what exactly? where the sprocket sits in to the hub? or on the back where the four metal knobs are that fit into the cush drive?

Old October 6th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #101
drumm3r9
ninjette.org member

the reason he did the milling on the caliper mount was because he wanted to make sure there was enough room for the wheel to fit in the unmodified swingarm.....the way it was before probably wouldn't have left much room for him to work with.

Old October 6th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #102
dubojr1

Quote:
yes exactly. The sprocket must come in closer to the wheel to help alignment with the front sprocket.

So i'm still confused....your going to mill what exactly? where the sprocket sits in to the hub? or on the back where the four metal knobs are that fit into the cush drive?

The chain alignment is fine. The rear sprocket is lined up with the front. The problem is the wheel needs to move to the left. Milling will have to be done where the sprocket fits to the hub. On the dust seal side of the hub. This will allow the sprocket to stay the same but the wheel and tire will move left. Hope this helps.

Look up the Bigfoot thread on here and read it carefully. He mentions having alignment issues with the newninja design and also mentions that his kit would come with a new hub which he modified from a stock one. If only there was mention of what mod's he made to it.

Old October 6th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #103
dubojr1

Quote:
the reason he did the milling on the caliper mount was because he wanted to make sure there was enough room for the wheel to fit in the unmodified swingarm.....the way it was before probably wouldn't have left much room for him to work with.
I'm not sure I understand exactly where your coming from...

Summary:

Newninja (Eric) technique will NOT work
Blackrod's technique will in fact work, just a matter of figuring out how he did it

Old October 6th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #104
drumm3r9
ninjette.org member

ooooooohhhhhh i see.....so your worried about the front and rear tire being lined up correctly?

Old October 6th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #105
dubojr1

Quote:
ooooooohhhhhh i see.....so your worried about the front and rear tire being lined up correctly?
Yep! Very important to me!

Old October 6th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #106
drumm3r9
ninjette.org member

ok......haha this entire time i thought you were talking about chain alignment.....thats why i brought up removing the nipples from the cush drive.....this problem is a little more interesting......and hard to figure out.

Old October 6th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #107
dubojr1

Ok these are for reference while we try to figure the hub milling thing out. The first 4 pics are showing what the differences are in a 150 being mounted to the stock wheel compared to the 650R wheel. More pics to follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6423.JPG (161.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6423a.JPG (166.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6424.JPG (154.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6424a.JPG (163.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6433.JPG (227.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6434.JPG (227.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6441.JPG (167.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6442.JPG (179.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6443.JPG (184.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6444.JPG (165.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6445.JPG (155.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6446.JPG (164.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6447.JPG (175.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6448.JPG (166.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6450.JPG (207.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6451.JPG (147.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6453.JPG (196.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6454.JPG (211.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6455.JPG (161.5 KB, 3 views)

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM   #108
dubojr1

More pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6456.JPG (180.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6457.JPG (154.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6459.JPG (158.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6461.JPG (153.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6463.JPG (162.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6464.JPG (155.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6466.JPG (162.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6467.JPG (153.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6469.JPG (162.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6470.JPG (136.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6471.JPG (176.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6472.JPG (165.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6473.JPG (147.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6474.JPG (160.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6475.JPG (156.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6476.JPG (151.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6478.JPG (191.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6479.JPG (156.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6481.JPG (172.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6482.JPG (143.0 KB, 3 views)

Old October 6th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #109
dubojr1

Here's the last for tonight. I'll start disassembly next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_6483.JPG (155.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6484.JPG (160.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6485.JPG (161.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6486.JPG (175.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6488.JPG (163.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6489.JPG (167.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6490.JPG (180.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6491.JPG (167.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6492.JPG (169.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6493.JPG (172.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6494.JPG (171.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6495.JPG (157.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6496.JPG (156.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6497.JPG (203.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6498.JPG (225.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6501.JPG (218.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6502.JPG (223.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_6504.JPG (202.7 KB, 5 views)

Old February 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM   #110
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

So did you end up getting this to align correctly.
Locksmiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:50 AM   #111
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

this would be awesome if it worked. skinny rear sucks..got passed by a trailer today..hate feeling the bike slide across the lane
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:00 AM   #112
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmiff View Post
So did you end up getting this to align correctly.
I have totally dropped the ball on this project. Last thing I determined was the sprocket hub would have to be machined to to center the wheel. This will require doing away with the bearing dust cover which I think is ok since our wheel bearings are sealed. I'll hopefully get back to this shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungluck View Post
this would be awesome if it worked. skinny rear sucks..got passed by a trailer today..hate feeling the bike slide across the lane

It is definitely possible. Its been done!

Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:32 PM   #113
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungluck View Post
Having a wider rear tire will not have any effect on how much your very light bike gets moved around by the wind of passing vehicles. That is a product of having a very light bike.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM   #114
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I have totally dropped the ball on this project. Last thing I determined was the sprocket hub would have to be machined to to center the wheel. This will require doing away with the bearing dust cover which I think is ok since our wheel bearings are sealed. I'll hopefully get back to this shortly.

It is definitely possible. Its been done!
I was thinking that. The bigfoot eludes to machining / modifying the hub. I am thinking of getting a 250 swingarm from ebay and 650r rim etc as well and giving it ago. I figure I can use the swingarm to get things right then try the wheel on the bike and see how it goes.

Old February 4th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #115
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locksmiff View Post
I was thinking that. The bigfoot eludes to machining / modifying the hub. I am thinking of getting a 250 swingarm from ebay and 650r rim etc as well and giving it ago. I figure I can use the swingarm to get things right then try the wheel on the bike and see how it goes.
Correct me if I'm wrong but changing the width of the swing-arm still will not fix the alignment concern. The front sprocket will still be in the same spot which requires the rear sprocket to be in a specific spot. That alignment is what I've been challenged with. To center the 650R wheel, the wheel needs to move to left. The only way to move the wheel to the left is to machine the hub where the rear sprocket mounts so the wheel can move over without changing the rear sprocket alignment. I hope this makes sense.

Old February 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #116
caras
ninjette.org member

Name: caras

Motorcycle(s): kawasaki ninja 250r

you're right...I'm also doing 650r wheel conversion,I've milled everything what can be milled and still didn't manage to achieve perfect center of rim and sprockets...tommorow I'll pick up rim from milling workshop and measure if this time everything is centered...if everything is fine,I'll be happy to share every informacion I can with you guys.

Last futzed with by caras; February 4th, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
caras is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #117
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caras View Post
you're right...I'm also doing 650r wheel conversion,I've milled everything what can be milled and still didn't manage to achieve perfect center of rim and sprockets...tommorow I'll pick up rim from milling workshop and measure if this time everything is centered...if everything is fine,I'll be happay to share every informasion I can with you guys.

That would be awesome!!!!

Old February 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #118
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but changing the width of the swing-arm still will not fix the alignment concern. The front sprocket will still be in the same spot which requires the rear sprocket to be in a specific spot. That alignment is what I've been challenged with. To center the 650R wheel, the wheel needs to move to left. The only way to move the wheel to the left is to machine the hub where the rear sprocket mounts so the wheel can move over without changing the rear sprocket alignment. I hope this makes sense.
What I ment was so I could still use my bike while doing the bigger rim thing. I am thinking of buying a swingarm with chain guard to use instead of taking my bike of the road to see if everything as its done aligns or fits.

I thought it would annoy me not using my bike while I tried to get the rim aligned etc I thought if I get the swingarm with chain guard and maybe the brake setup. It becomes like a jig then.

Old February 5th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #119
caras
ninjette.org member

Name: caras

Motorcycle(s): kawasaki ninja 250r

measured today and still doesn't fit...it's so frustating...i need about 3mm more on left side to have rim centered...I'm not sure where to cut next to get those mm.
caras is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #120
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caras View Post
measured today and still doesn't fit...it's so frustating...i need about 3mm more on left side to have rim centered...I'm not sure where to cut next to get those mm.
Can you explain what you have done so far? Also, what method are you using to determine if the wheel is centered?