ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

View Poll Results: How do you grip the brake lever?
Thumb, forefinger and middle finger (or forefinger only) 62 75.61%
Thumb, middle, ring, pinky 8 9.76%
Thumb and all four fingers 8 9.76%
Brake lever? What brake lever? 4 4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:02 AM   #41
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
lol at too strong of a grip for any more than one finger. That's not strength, it's lack of finesse and control.

I'd buy preference for one or two fingers, but not strength. I'd challenge any of you to show the finger strength that 10+ years of rock climbing has given me. pullups using two fingers per hand on the trim of a doorway? lets see it!
where were you for this thread?

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=145072

Quote:
I drive a car with strong brakes and lots of initial bite... do I brake using one toe? no, I learn to press the brake appropriately. When someone gets in my car and starts to brake, they slam on the brakes not realizing how much initial bite there is, my wife engaged ABS during her first drive. Does that mean she can't drive my car because she's too strong? no, it means she learned to be more gentle.

I can understand a preference to use one or two fingers because maybe you find it easier to regulate pressure, but personally, I find it easier to regulate pressure with all four fingers, it's easier and produces much less fatigue, especially when driving in the city, like I do. different strokes for different folks, but it's not due to strength.
2nd, I am speechless, you posted something about your car..... but somehow missed a perfect opportunity to plug in exactly what kind of car you have.

never thought I would see the day

back on topic:
I tend to use 1 finger for brake, I don't feel any reason to use more than 1 if you feel you get the stopping power you need with it.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:20 AM   #42
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

usually thumb, index, middle on the brake.
but I do keep all four fingers on my clutch about 99% of the time. habit I picked up from my last bike whose clutch lever rattled like there was no tomorrow.
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:32 AM   #43
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

@subxero I must have missed the bouldering thread... I usually just browse through the first page of unread posts when I visit. Some days I'm more bored than others. and lol at the car... I think everyone knows what car I drive now, I chose to omit it.

For me, I think the 4 finger thing is a fatigue thing, nothing else. stop and go traffic, staying on the brake while at lights, etc. wears on you when just using one finger, especially when on the way home from the rock gym... lol.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:44 AM   #44
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
generally not on front brake while stopped that's what the rear brake is for, clutch sure.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:53 AM   #45
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
pretty sure motherf*cker is censored on the site so he made his own word

think eminem and fack
oh i see it now...

@CC Cowboy is a bad mofo for sure

Old October 3rd, 2013, 08:23 AM   #46
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
...but can your car lift the whole rear end off the ground if you mash it with your whole foot?

I get what you're saying. But I know from experience it's very possible to lift and bounce the rear at the track at 80+ mph on the ninja with nothing but the middle finger on the end of the brake lever. For this reason 4 fingers seems overkill to me and makes it more likely for me to grab instead of squeezing. I guess it really just comes down to preference and using whatever method is comfortable to you. In my mind, grabbing is too natural when your SR's kick in and you panic; might as well attempt to remove the overbearing-front-brake-grab reaction by only using 1-2 fingers on the front brake instead of all 4.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:22 AM   #47
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

I use my middle finger only. That way when someone pulls in front of me I'm already flipping them off.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:37 AM   #48
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
...but can your car lift the whole rear end off the ground if you mash it with your whole foot?
that'd be sweet... certainly, it cannot. it will introduce ABS pulsing, but obviously not as big of a deal. The tendency to grab too hard with four fingers is akin to stomping on the brakes in a car though. limit your usable strength by using fewer fingers, or just teach yourself control... I chose the latter.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:49 AM   #49
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
or just teach yourself control... I chose the latter.
Grasshopper has never gone hot through a blind corner and had someone pull out in front of him at exit with a 70+ mph differential in speed has he? That's a butt-pucker moment where your front-brake-grabbing-SR is going to kick in, no matter how 'trained' your brake hand is; you're going to grab that lever like your life depends on it. It's human nature.

I'm not trying to be mean. I agree with you, finesse is a learned skill that is more relevant than brute strength. Keeping cool under panic is also great; some people have that skill, some do not. But there's going to be some scenario some day on a ride that's going to invoke your SR's, no matter how much self control you typically ride with.

Like I said, 1 finger with a hard squeeze can lift that wheel and slow you faster than you think possible with only one disk; 4 in a total panic will lock the wheel. Keep your mind open and don't be so sure that your self taught self control will always save you.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:54 AM   #50
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Grasshopper has never gone hot through a blind corner and had someone pull out in front of him at exit with a 70+ mph differential in speed has he? That's a butt-pucker moment where your front-brake-grabbing-SR is going to kick in, no matter how 'trained' your brake hand is; you're going to grab that lever like your life depends on it. It's human nature.
it happens often... you are wrong.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:56 AM   #51
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
It was just an example alex, chill. I tried to come up with something that would scare an average rider. idk, that would likely scare me. I'd likely end up turning harder and passing, but you get my point.

There's going to be a time somewhere that invokes panic and you grab the lever. All of us here are just mortals on a motorcycle.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 12:36 PM   #52
DCMoney
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1198s, Triumph D675, Suzuki SV1000s, `08 Ninja 250, `11 Ninja 250, Suzuki GS750

Middle only, even have an example... also included is an example of how to blow a corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqc2suCy_H8

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:48 PM   #53
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

I use four personally, I just find it easier to control that way. I don't want to slam on the front brakes and flip over the handlebars or anything...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...408#post692408
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2013, 06:42 PM   #54
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMoney View Post
Middle only, even have an example... also included is an example of how to blow a corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqc2suCy_H8

Link to original page on YouTube.

Funny… I never ride without covering the lever.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #55
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

I'm not trying to be mean. I agree with you, finesse is a learned skill that is more relevant than brute strength. Keeping cool under panic is also great; some people have that skill, some do not. But there's going to be some scenario some day on a ride that's going to invoke your SR's, no matter how much self control you typically ride with.

Like I said, 1 finger with a hard squeeze can lift that wheel and slow you faster than you think possible with only one disk; 4 in a total panic will lock the wheel. Keep your mind open and don't be so sure that your self taught self control will always save you.
You speak like you're the end-all-be-all of motorcycle riding. you too, have lots to learn, "grasshopper", especially if you can't control your panic breaking technique. Telling someone that what works for you is the best and only way forward is going to get you real far in life

done.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 4th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #56
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
No, I was teasing a little to get my point across because you seemed so sure of yourself. Just trying to remind you that no matter how trained we get, we all still have human reactions to deal with. Seems like I hit a bigger nerve than I expected and I apologize. I never meant to make you snap at me, I just meant to make a point.

I've stated many many times on this forum that I'm just an average rider. I never said I've not learned a little control over my panic braking. I practice hard braking every season in an attempt to make my actual panic muscle memory instead of an actual panic. Seeing as I've not been down in 4 years, I'm doing okay so far. But I've had my SR's step in often. It happens to all of us. That's my point.

Old October 4th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #57
dfox
ninjette.org sage

it was the "grasshopper" comment that hit a nerve...

I understand where you're coming from, but neither is right nor wrong, it's preference.

Focusing on my braking yesterday, while all four fingers are resting on the lever, my pinky and ring finger are just along for the ride, the majority of the force is coming from my middle finger. I tried using just that finger, and while I had no issue stopping the bike, it felt very awkward like I was unnecessarily stressing the muscles/tendons. I was also concerned that my finger might slip off the lever, no concern when I have 4 fingers on it, it just feels more natural. I've ridden bikes my whole life and always used all fingers, I remember replacing the shorty lever on my bmx bike to a full size mountain bike lever because I couldn't fit all four fingers on it (granted, that was a rear wheel brake).

I have also been on a motorcycle for over nine years now (off and on) and have not tucked the front, even with lots of city driving and panic stops.

Old October 4th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #58
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Y'all grass hoppers need to hug or somethin... Where is the love?

Old October 4th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #59
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

i find my reaction time with two finger braking is much quicker than with four. getting back on the throttle is quicker as well.
also the force applied with two fingers gives me a strong initial bite that doesn't lock the wheel when riding in the rain.

some people say with four fingers you can get the max amount of brake lever pull, but unless the brakes were bled poorly the lever really shouldn't need to travel that far.

Old October 6th, 2013, 05:55 PM   #60
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

@igk

I totally agree . I only use more than two fingers under te most extreme breaking conditions.

But having two or one finger Resting on the lever work best for general an technical ridding in t experience .
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #61
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

I use my middle and ring finger for the brake, my thumb and index for the throttle. My hands are so small that my pinky sorta just hangs out in the "we're drinking proper tea" pose.

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #62
trenchkato
Squidlette

Name: Marcel

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Bird finger only. When I first started to ride I was to snatchy on the brake. I decided to go with the index finger but it turned out not to be long enough when accelerating and covering...
trenchkato is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #63
Dragone
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): '86 VFR 750, '90 ZX7, '92 KZ1000, '05 ninja 500, '05 6RR, '06 10R, '07 ninja 250

I know my brakes and have adjusted them for my needs ie, different pads, calipers or even levers. I prefer the index finger for braking. (this allows me to feel the front end and throttle control better with the remaining fingers on the bar)

Dragone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2013, 10:06 AM   #64
caineroad
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja SE

Can you add just using middle finger?? that's what I do.. cuz it's the longest finger.

I use index, ring and thumb for throttle
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #65
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): CB500F

I use the first and second fingers most of the time, because I'm more accustomed to riding open class 2-stroke MX bikes that will snatch the handlebars right out of your hands when they hit the powerband. I use four fingers in some situations, like slowing for a traffic light when I know I won't be accelerating soon, and when I see dicey traffic I cover the controls with four fingers (& thumb) on both hands. It's not that my little 500 streetbike has fearsome power that might snatch handlebars away, rape your women and burn your village, it's just that old habits that have kept me in one piece so far are natural.

I really should add that having owned a Sporster the last year that they had drum brakes, I find this thread hilarious. If you can't brake with two fingers on modern disk brakes, find yourself a ride on an old-school drum brake Harley and feel the spongey goodness. I'm not saying that Harleys are bad, but the old ones had **** for brakes. That was whole hand and a pair of ChannelLocks braking.

Old November 4th, 2013, 05:46 PM   #66
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

Middle and Ring. I ride lever covered. It is interesting to swap between the 250, the Buell, and the Mighty 110 Elite. What stops the 250 smartly, will stoppie body slam you on the Buell (8 piston caliper, Brembo master, and Vesrah HH pads, well bedded). The Scooter is a delight with the linked brakes, you just grab a mighty handful and be ready to plant a foot.

I do wish the 250 had a better front brake, I have added a stainless line, and HH pads, which are "better" than stock, but I would like "more".

Old November 6th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #67
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Index and middle finger on the brake. Same for the clutch (unless I'm stopped at a light, then all fingers).

I seem to start my braking pull with my index finger then add some middle finger as I need more braking force.

Jeff

Old November 13th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #68
Treyzian
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

I use middle, ring, and pinky for both levers. It just feels more natural to me, and I feel like there's more precise control.
Treyzian is offline   Reply With Quote