ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:37 PM   #81
cogitatrix
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Leah

Motorcycle(s): 1994 ex250

I was 16 when I got my first ninja 250 and started riding on my own, but my dad and I had been riding 2 up since I was 8. I took the MSF course, which was discounted for drivers under 21 in CA, and mostly used it for commuting to class and rides with the Pop. I think it was a little early for me, I got into a few minor accidents usually because I was following too close to my Dad and either didn't know the route myself or he'd make some random decision to turn without signalling. Sigh. Learn from experience Now I've been riding for about 11 years and I'm looking forward to getting my new (to me) 94 ex250 up and running and on the road for the spring/summer.
cogitatrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:03 PM   #82
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

first street ride was May 4, 2010 on my new 2010 250
had to ride at night in freeway traffic to get home
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:25 PM   #83
trex
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 250r '08 Candy Plasma (best) Blue

trex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 25th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #84
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

First rode on the street when I was 15. First rode on the street legally when I was 16.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #85
ruben5
ninjette.org member

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2004 Ninja 250

18 had a Honda CB 200 for a year sold it when I started college. Just got back on a bike last summer. A pretty long gap since I just turned 29 again LOL
ruben5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #86
billmi
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 82 XV750, 99 DR200SE, 04 DR200SE, 08 DR200SE, 95 EX250

15 (as soon as I could get my motorcycle permit) on a DT-100. I started riding it on the street, but after feeling comfortable, started trail and dirt riding too. I totally agree with the idea that getting time (and crashing) in the dirt is good learning.
billmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #87
bhalv
ninjette.org member

Name: brent

Motorcycle(s): 93 ninja 250

bhalv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #88
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I started learning to ride when I went to India for a couple years, on the original 150cc Vespa, at about 12-13. Then at about 13-14 I rode my first motorcycle which was just a little 125-150cc thumper. At about 15 I rode a 350cc Enfield Bullet, which was considered the "Big Boy". All this without a license and not a single piece of gear in crazy congested "free for all" traffic...I'm not encouraging it, thats just how it was there...
Here in North America I was 19 when I got my 250r. I hadn't ridden in about 4years because I had no access to bikes here, but when I got on it was like I had never stopped, and I didn't really have to learn anything other than hitting proper angles in the corners.
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #89
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

15 on a 50cc yamaha chappy
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #90
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

I'm 17 and bought my 08 ninja250 like 2 months ago middle of winter, doesnt have insurance nor is it registered! That will all happen this monday though! Get my licence sunday and unluckily insurance company is closed sunday! =[

I think you shouldn't set a date by saying a year or 2 because it will only torture him; especially since you ride. If hes responsible let him do it now even before summer. Even just get him to do the MSF then the bike buying can even wait if you wish. As long as you give him some hope!
blink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #91
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
I'm 17 and bought my 08 ninja250 like 2 months ago middle of winter, doesnt have insurance nor is it registered! That will all happen this monday though! Get my licence sunday and unluckily insurance company is closed sunday! =[

I think you shouldn't set a date by saying a year or 2 because it will only torture him; especially since you ride. If hes responsible let him do it now even before summer. Even just get him to do the MSF then the bike buying can even wait if you wish. As long as you give him some hope!
Can't you go ahead and insure it before getting your license? Here in MD you can.

We are putting this off a bit, he's on and off interested so I don't want to invest the time and money if he's not serious. When he's ready I will support him in learning, taking the class, getting all the gear and getting the bike. It will be cool riding with my son one day.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #92
Green Streak
Ninjette Owner

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, a puddle of Ninja ZX6

8 in the dirt and back roads. 21 on the street. I read that those that learn to ride in the dirt, tend to have less crashes on the street. I guess we get them out of the way first. I certainly had my share of them in the dirt.

Old April 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #93
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Thirty-Five
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #94
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Sadly with the company my mom is with, we can't until I have a class 6.

Yeah then that's understandable, I know when I really have wanted to do something since being young...younger; it would kill me to wait =p

Anyways stay safe!
blink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #95
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

This may be a little off topic, but why is it that kids today don't want to drive or get their license? I mean license for motorcycle or car.

I have a nephew who is 18 and refuses to learn to drive. My cousin's daughter and a kid in my neighborhood are the same way. At least with my cousin and nephew, they were actually given brand new cars with the hopes that they would change their minds, but refused.

Is this some new fad or something? I got my learners permit at 15 and regular license at 16. And my first car at 16. Is this some kind of green - save the planet thing that's going around?
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #96
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

22, first time ever touching a motorcycle.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #97
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
This may be a little off topic, but why is it that kids today don't want to drive or get their license? I mean license for motorcycle or car.

I have a nephew who is 18 and refuses to learn to drive. My cousin's daughter and a kid in my neighborhood are the same way. At least with my cousin and nephew, they were actually given brand new cars with the hopes that they would change their minds, but refused.

Is this some new fad or something? I got my learners permit at 15 and regular license at 16. And my first car at 16. Is this some kind of green - save the planet thing that's going around?
I'm not sure, I have tried to figure it out too. My son and his friends are focused on school and sports mostly, he relates driving with cost and isn't sure the worth of it... some of his friends work and work just to pay for their cars so I get that point too, kinda... when I was 16 it was motorcycles, cars and girls, lol. He did say that the videos they saw during drivers ed class were scary, the collisions were nasty and that really left an impression on them. He's driving now but not late or overnight and pretty much only when needed. A different generation for sure, he's already smarter than his dad so what do I know.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #98
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:

WWHHHAAAAAAT?! dude I wish my parents got me a brand new car right when I turned 16! I had to split the price of my mom's lovely 1995 Civic EX with 186,000 miles on it with my sister. No way in hell were they/are they going to buy me a brand new car. and I don't get it either.;I was chomping at the bit the day I turned 15 1/2 and had a countdown till I turned 16 and could take my test for my license. haha same thing with my bike. I had a countdown till I turned 18 and could buy a 600. then one of my dads coworkers scared him by telling him what a modern 600 can do, so my countdown to 18 turned into their countdown of how long they could still control what bike I bought kinda worked in my favor... still in love with the 250
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #99
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
... He did say that the videos they saw during drivers ed class were scary, the collisions were nasty and that really left an impression on them. ...
I'm not sure why they even show those videos any more. I remember seeing those "Guts on the road" and "Hot Road Pizza" videos when I was a kid. I did drive kinda slow going home that day though. But today most cars have airbags and most people use seat belts. Its not impossible, but its definitely a lot harder to get yourself killed in a car these days.

I didn't start riding a motorcycle until just recently. I can't believe I've done without for so long.

Old May 1st, 2011, 08:23 AM   #100
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
But today most cars have airbags and most people use seat belts.
Meh, studies have shown that airbags aren't all that good actually, and have been attributed to more deaths in some cases.

But it's ingrained in to peopled heads that airbags are good...
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 03:10 PM   #101
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
Meh, studies have shown that airbags aren't all that good actually, and have been attributed to more deaths in some cases.

But it's ingrained in to peopled heads that airbags are good...
Well I can't name any specific studies, but AFAIK there are two ways that an air bag can make things worse.

1) Older airbags would pop with full force regardless of the occupant's size. This caused a lot of neck injuries in children.

2) If the occupant is not wearing a seat belt during a front end collision, the airbag redirects his motion so that his head goes through the steel roof instead of the glass windshield. This results in more significant brain injury.

But other than that, they are safer. I was told they even have them on Honda Goldwings now. I have no idea how they work (or if they actually do).

Old May 1st, 2011, 04:28 PM   #102
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 07:15 PM   #103
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

around 10 with the dirt bike, dad didn't like that call from the state cops. 21 with fresh liscense after the navy legal.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:10 AM   #104
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:30 AM   #105
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
I'd be interested in looking at your cites for this...
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:57 AM   #106
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
I'd be interested in looking at your cites for this...
Agreed. There are certainly cases where airbags have harmed passengers (which is why there are all of those restrictions on who should be sitting in the front seat, and how far you should be from the steering wheel). But by and large, the safety benefit in the vast majority of collisions is unquestioned. They are also getting smarter year by year, with modern units inflating at different speeds and energies depending on the impact speed. Also, there have been smarter interlocks on the front seats to disable the airbag if there isn't a passenger of a certain weight/size already sitting in the seat to gain any protection from the airbag.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:30 PM   #107
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/outreach...qp/airbag.html

It's a probabilities game. Most airbag injuries/fatalities are related to user error, and despite this airbags save many times more lives and prevent many times more injuries. The only perfect way to avoid all injuries in a car wreck is to not ever get into one in the first place.

The peak in airbag-related fatalities happened around '97, since then improvements in systems and public knowledge have knocked rates down to less than 10 a year since 2004. In 2007 it was zero.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/AB0707.PDF

As of that year, the total killed since 1990 was 284, and the number of lives saved was 24,334 (estimated).

To put it in perspective, we lose almost as many people in vehicle accidents every year as we did in all 10+ years of Vietnam.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2011, 04:36 PM   #108
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
As of that year, the total killed since 1990 was 284, and the number of lives saved was 24,334 (estimated).

To put it in perspective, we lose almost as many people in vehicle accidents every year as we did in all 10+ years of Vietnam.
Vietnam lost 58,220 American lives. How many get killed in car accidents these days?

Old May 2nd, 2011, 04:43 PM   #109
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Old May 2nd, 2011, 04:46 PM   #110
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
How many get killed in car accidents these days?
30k - 40k per year.

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM   #111
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
That's a lot, but it would be even higher without air bags.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 05:58 PM   #112
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

I got picked up by the cops when I was 5 for riding my bike down the Highway. Got my first Motorcycle at 28, 30 now.
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote