Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #1
h0yitsdom
newbie newbie

Name: Dominic

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja ex250

San Diego riding spots?

wheres everyone ride in SD?
i'm still adventuring around, my 3rd time out on my bike i went up to ramona and back to the 15 thru highland valley rd, bit of a mistake but it was a good learning experience for me

missed a ride with some friends from work going out to julian for a 2 hr ride last week but they ride 650s anyways.

any nice areas in the san diego area? i'm planning on riding the 1 or whatever it is near oceanside blvd that rides along the coast but thats just a straight shot no twisties just scenic beach.

heres some shots i took before i got into the twisties on highland

h0yitsdom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #2
dino74
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

I'm in Carlsbad, here's some North County Routes

Del Dios Highway
Google Map

Elfin Forest
Google Map

BTW: Be very very careful on Highland Valley road.
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #3
h0yitsdom
newbie newbie

i think i ended up on that del rios highway last week lol
i was on the 56 then turned off on some street and ended up coming back behind lake hodges and saw the dam but i didn't take the whole path from the 15 to the 5.

gonna check out effin sometime this week if these rain clouds go away

Old May 18th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Not sure why we haven't seen either of you guys at any of our get togethers or rides... pay attention in the Group Rides and Events section... there is a pretty decent sized group of us that get together at least once or twice a month to ride together or do something... i.e. our tech day coming up this Sunday in Indio... I'm just sayin'
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Ortega hwy
Palomar mountain

look at cuongs Palomar video before you dare to take that one. Ortega is cool kind of twisty but has some good spots to it with the drop to the lake at the end being pretty intense. If you are new i would take caution on these esp Palomar that one is no joke.

As dustin said keep an eye on the group ride threads, we get together pretty often either to work on the bikes or ride. We have a pretty chill group some are fast some are slower but we all have fun and that is what counts.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #6
dino74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
Not sure why we haven't seen either of you guys at any of our get togethers or rides...
I've been taking the working 250 to the track about twice a month and I've been way too lazy to put all the street stuff back on. Actually I'm more embarrassed to be see on it because it sooooo beat up.

The good news is the project 250 is finally running after cleaning out the carbs and I have just about all the parts for it to be street legal. I come join you guys when it done.

Old May 19th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #7
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Palomar mountain

Palomar

Out thru Mt Laguna is nice too.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #8
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

The 94 to campo is a nice little run
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
solid suggestions before. elfin forest and del dios are really smooth and good quality roads. lots of places to split off in del dios. elfin forest is kinda scary just from all the blind spots. highland valley is a great road. a little torn up, but if you know where to put the tires its a blast. but i'll let you guys in on my little secret. if you're looking for twisties in SD, the best around that i've been able to find (hardest, tightest and most technical with lots of decreasing radius turns and all kinds of scary surrounded by beautiful scenery, not to mention almost completely deserted even on weekends) is a road just south of palomar called mesa grande. definitely not for new riders, but if you're tired of all the squidwards on palomar holding you back or whatever, take a look. if you could compare it to anything it's most similiar to highland valley, but tighter turns and fewer straights. a few blind decreasing radius turns that will get you in trouble if you aren't careful. palomar is a great road, but it's always crowded on the weekends. not to mention the altitude sickness the poor carbed bikes gets once you get toward the top.
edit: technically its on reservation so i'm not sure what kind of tribal laws are different or you would have to deal with but I've never seen anyone there outside of some random person parked on the side, so i don't think its a big deal

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #10
dino74

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
is a road just south of palomar called mesa grande
Definitely be careful on Mesa Grande, I wish I didn't know first hand . It was such a beautiful day riding beneath the trees. Oh so relaxing... that I didn't notice that decreasing radius. Lucky there was a nice dirt pillow for me to lowside into.

Old May 19th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #11
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

Excellent road , I lowsided as well on this road in my first year riding and got a surprise, watch this section from a blind right its a corkscrew to a left and you have to damn near drag knee if going to fast.

cruise up to Julian and hitting banner grade is a must. I got the chance to ride it the first time with KJ21 and his wife and Froggy.

Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #12
h0yitsdom
newbie newbie

banner grande is where my friends from work rode last week but i missed the ride since i had work

one guy got a flat tire on his 1000 tho and had to end the ride short but i'll be riding that next time with them

Old May 19th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #13
dino74

Speaking of Julian, Wynola Road (Goolge Map) in Julian and Old Julian Highway between Romona and Julian (Google Map)

Once again be careful on these roads. I have read about major injuries/death on most of these roads mentioned.