ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #41
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

I just put my car up for sale. I'm moving to NYC, where I wont be needing it, and my bike will be much easier to park and will be my respite for getting out of the city when I want to.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old May 16th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #42
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Name: Daniel "God"

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

This is turning into FL Thread. REPPIN B-TOWN BOYNTON 561>305
xaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #43
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaple View Post
Reppin the 772 just north of you in Stuart!
JBizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #44
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

Quote:
Reppin' NMB, B-town, and tampa
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #45
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Miami Beach.... Republic of Milk and Honey!

Florida riding.... I never ride during the day, TOOOO Fng HOT! or squid out.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #46
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
If anybody hasn't done so already, don't forget to add yourself to Alex's map which can be found here.

That way we can see where we all are and maybe go on a group ride somewhere someday.

Old May 17th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #47
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Not own a car?? Not anymore! Just got plates and title transfered:

So stoked not to have to borrow a friend's/parent's/roomate's car when I need to go somewhere. Also, when it rains in the summer and I can't ride the Ninja.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #48
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

I lived with the Ninjette for two years without a car. I did live at home so I went grocery shopping with my mom.

I rode in the winter almost every day except for a sometimes when I was lazy and I took the bus.

You will become extraordinarily good at packing. I don't know what the weather is like in your area of Florida but when I've been there and the random rains were kind of crazy. I got one of the mesh jackets that have a waterproof liner for versatility and would definitely suggest it.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 06:28 AM   #49
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post

So stoked not to have to borrow a friend's/parent's/roomate's car when I need to go somewhere. Also, when it rains in the summer and I can't ride the Ninja.
Nice! I bought the very first tC to be sold in IN back in 2004, and I loved it. Ending up selling it when I went to grad school and began the era of two-wheels only transportation. Hopefully it's a manual? That car packs a surprisingly fun little punch for what it is.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #50
n4mwd

Quote:

Nice car, but you'll be less stoked when you have to start filling the thing up, paying $500 for a new set of tires, higher insurance and taxes. But they do come in handy sometimes.

Old May 17th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #51
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
And while I always have regular bungees lying around, I wouldn't make it without this little guy:

You would use this cargo net for carrying pizza. If you don't care about the color, you can get one at Harbor Freight for about $4. But Cycle Gear and others have them in different colors for about twice the price.
I've wanted one of these! Which size works best for our bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
I only have motorcycles. No cars or trucks, and I don't miss either of them.
I ride my ninja 250 everywhere I go. Rain or Shine...

Here are some tips if you intend to go the bike only route from someone who has honestly done it, and been doing it for many years.
Great tips, Bryan!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #52
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

A few more things about rain gear.

I recommend getting a rain jacket that is a size larger than you need. The reason for this is that if you have a backpack you can put the jacket on OVER the backpack. It looks goofy, but you will at least be able to keep the contents of the backpack dry if needed. I also recommend getting one with a hood...

You can pull the hood over your head, and then put the helmet on. It does two things. Keeps the rain from going down the back of your neck, and seperates your face from wet or damp helmet liners.

Also, your pants(if they dont have them).....stitch some elastic band loops on the bottom of the legs to run under your boot heel, so that it will keep your pants legs down while riding. Like this.... It makes a huge difference, and keeps your socks and pants dry around your ankles.

Also, a nalgene bottle or something similar is nice...even empty. That way when you get a combo meal at a restaurant you can take the drink with you....instead of wasting money on a drink you can't ride with.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #53
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Nice car, but you'll be less stoked when you have to start filling the thing up, paying $500 for a new set of tires, higher insurance and taxes. But they do come in handy sometimes.
A few steps ahead of you, and all that's already accounted for. Filling it up will actually be a joyful experience compared to the 97 Tahoe (can you say 16 mpg and a 30 gallon tank?) I'm used to filling.

Old May 17th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #54
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Nice! I bought the very first tC to be sold in IN back in 2004, and I loved it. Ending up selling it when I went to grad school and began the era of two-wheels only transportation. Hopefully it's a manual? That car packs a surprisingly fun little punch for what it is.
Yepp. It's a manual I wouldn't choose otherwise unless an automatic was all we could find.

Old May 17th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #55
keith217
ninjette.org member

Name: Trill

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
Just wondering if anybody here owns only a motorcycle and what they think of it. I'm a 19yo college student considering just owning a bike. Parents think I should own a car and motorcycle but this is expensive and I'm not sure if it's necessary if I'll be living on campus in the fall?
Living on campus is pretty convenient. You'll have the school bus system to rely on if anything happens. You're good!
keith217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #56
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

I'd just be concerned about the storms in FL... Seems do-able though. Just time your rides around storms I guess? Lightning is a real threat.

Something that would make it easier is if you have a zipcar, or other similar service around you. I've considered selling my wife's car, keeping mine and my bike, and getting a zipcar membership for the few days I have my car and my wife needs a car (groceries, etc.) but the closest zip car spot is over 3/4 mile away... too far to be useful.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #57
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
I've wanted one of these! Which size works best for our bikes?
I think they are all about 15" square or so. They are made of bungee stuff so they stretch to whatever size you need. I used mine to carry a car battery to the store not long ago. Most of the time its for groceries that don't fit in the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
A few more things about rain gear.
... I also recommend getting one with a hood...
I have a traditional rubber raincoat set from walmart @ $15. The only thing about it that I don't like is that it is kind of bulky and hard to fold back up. I've heard of FrogToggs, but I don't know what the difference is.

Quote:
...can you say 16 mpg and a 30 gallon tank?
Not with a straight face.

I had a college professor one time refer to cars as "Waiting boxes" because all you do is climb inside and wait until you get where your going. Very boring. Unlike a motorcycle where you can jump on and ride. I think he had a good point.

Old May 17th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #58
CaptainPlatypus
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '86 Honda VFR700

I got rid of my car when I bought my bike. No regrets.
CaptainPlatypus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #59
Sipper'
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

I went a decade (90-99) without a car, just two bikes. Thought of doing it again to save money, but I LOVE my car!
Sipper' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2013, 09:27 PM   #60
Advincula
New Rider

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Just wondering if anybody here owns only a motorcycle and what they think of it. I'm a 19yo college student considering just owning a bike. Parents think I should own a car and motorcycle but this is expensive and I'm not sure if it's necessary if I'll be living on campus in the fall?
I'm 22 years old and have both. My advice is to get both when you're on your way out of college if you could swing it. My car was cert. pre-owned, so it's not like I bought new or anything, plus the payments are low. Also, it helps when I woke up late or stayed up late or had a heavy day, because I'd rather be tired in a car driving home than on a bike. Plus, you have the carrying capacity of a car just in case.

My circumstances are different in that I live off campus.

TL;DR: Get one if you are financially able, but since you're on campus, don't worry until you're about to leave school.

Old May 21st, 2013, 04:08 AM   #61
n4mwd

You guys that ride your Ninja to college - how easy is the parking once you get there?

One of the colleges I went to had reserved motorcycle parking right next to the handicap spot. That would have been nice if I had actually owned a bike back then. The campus cops would ticket anyone who parked outside of an official spot. Finding a spot with the car was really hard.

Old May 21st, 2013, 05:11 PM   #62
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

Quote:
You guys that ride your Ninja to college - how easy is the parking once you get there?

One of the colleges I went to had reserved motorcycle parking right next to the handicap spot. That would have been nice if I had actually owned a bike back then. The campus cops would ticket anyone who parked outside of an official spot. Finding a spot with the car was really hard.
Over Here at USF, we have VIP parking we pay way less for the yearly pass and we can park anywhere that has a motorcycle sign, which is in 90% of the parking lots...
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 05:12 PM   #63
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
There's no difference between car spots and motorcycle spots at my school. But there's not anywhere fun to ride, so the ninja stays at home instead of going to school with me.

Old May 21st, 2013, 05:25 PM   #64
zomgcake
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 09' Ninja 250

Quote:

On my campus, parking the bike was a breeze. Bikes didn't have to pay the hang-tag fee per semester, and we are simply told to avoid taking up a 'real' spot. Most lots / parking garages have a bunch of 'half-spots' or triangles that cars cannot use, and they end up quickly becoming the dedicated bike spots.

I would try to get in touch with campus PD and ask around. One thing I would keep in mind is where you are going to keep your helmet/gear during the day. Depending on the spot / area, you may not want to leave too many things on your bike.
zomgcake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 08:39 PM   #65
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

I made it through a Bay Area winter with no car. It can be a pain in the ass, but if you're a single person it can definitely work. Get a bungee net and a big backpack. Buy groceries in small amounts, etc.

It gets rough when you need to transport large things, though. For me, it was canvases and art stuff that just don't work on a bike.

Invest in some good rain gear.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:01 AM   #66
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

Quote:
If anybody hasn't done so already, don't forget to add yourself to Alex's map which can be found here.

That way we can see where we all are and maybe go on a group ride somewhere someday.
I got the map to load...but I can't figure out how to put a thumbtack down where I live?
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2013, 06:28 AM   #67
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by az3200 View Post
I got the map to load...but I can't figure out how to put a thumbtack down where I live?
Sorry about that. I didn't realize that the full screen version didn't have that ability. You have to go in through the forum at this thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11545

When it loads, ADD will appear at the top.

Old June 25th, 2014, 04:14 PM   #68
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I got away with a bike and no care for the first few years in San Diego but that just wasn't possible to do when I came back to GA. FL doesn't get as cold so it may be do-able but the rain, wind storms, humidity, and heat are still huge deterrents.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2014, 04:26 PM   #69
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Technically while I have owned a car I have only used it on rare occasion within the last year. You don't really need one though there are definitely points where you really want to have one, like when it's snowing and you're riding through roads that haven't even been plowed yet in first gear trying to stay at that magical speed where you're moving quickly enough to not get stuck but slow enough to where you can easily control a rear end slide or stop. Life lesson, if you think your brakes suck in the rain they're useless in the snow.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #70
scorch
ninjette.org guru

Name: ricardo

Motorcycle(s): 250

Quote:
I dont own car. Ive been car free for all my life. nver had a car and dont regret it. But i cheap once in aw hile when i need to, i borrow my parents car when i need.

I also use the bus and bicycles when i need to. But i have a car license etc, just dont feel like spending 15k for a cheap new car or whatever when i can get a ninja 250 for 1200 and it gets 70 mpg.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2014, 09:18 AM   #71
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
Technically while I have owned a car I have only used it on rare occasion within the last year. You don't really need one though there are definitely points where you really want to have one, like when it's snowing and you're riding through roads that haven't even been plowed yet in first gear trying to stay at that magical speed where you're moving quickly enough to not get stuck but slow enough to where you can easily control a rear end slide or stop. Life lesson, if you think your brakes suck in the rain they're useless in the snow.
Last winter was a BITCH. I didn't mind having frozen hands, but the havoc a few mm of snow can cause was terrifying. I found the trick was to forget first, stay in second or third gear and use the clutch to keep the revs just above lugging while maintaining speed.

Then there were those seemingly clear days on the highway when the weather decided to suddenly say "fk you" and start snowing, forcing one to either be blinded by your visor or ice hitting your eyes at 55+.

i swear to god once i invent snow tires for motorbikes....
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2014, 09:36 AM   #72
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

My town is middle class and motorcycle hostile. Population 25,000, bike parking 4 places, you get the picture.
Given that, I usually take the car because you have to pay for a car space and when you do you get fined anyway because people steal the tickets.
So I only use the ninja for clubs and pleasure.
We may have the joy of legal lane splitting but all is not rosy in the British biker garden.
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #73
shereth
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I'd like to rely less on the car. Kind of hard to go without, though, when you've got two kids
shereth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #74
Ninjinsky

Quote:
paying $500 for a new set of tires,
That does sound a bit hyperbolic TBH I have a depot not too far away that does part worns for £15 ($20) each balanced and fitted. They have minimum 80% remaining The last set lasted me 4 years so £15 a year.

You don't believe me eh ? Understandable
So here's their webpage
http://www.tyresworld.co.uk/

Old June 26th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #75
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I lived in Mexico for about 3 years teaching at a university, and I got along just fine with a 200cc motorcycle. Mind you, it was warm and sunny pretty much every day of the year there.

Being single with no kids, I've often thought I could get by with just a motorcycle here in Victoria if only the weather were better in the winter. During the summer months, about once a week I have to force myself to go use my car just to make sure the engine gets turned over, battery charged, etc.

However, in the winter it's a different story. We don't get much ice or snow, but a heck of a lot of rain. I still commute by motorcycle in the rain, but when I just want to get somewhere quickly I prefer using the car to putting on rain gear, dealing with wet gear while in a store or whatever, etc.

I have an old Chevy sedan that cost me $3000 about 4 years ago and has been pretty reliable, so it isn't costing me that much more to have a 4-wheeled vehicle. I spend far, far more on my motorcycle than my car for service, insurance, parts, etc.

Old June 26th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #76
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

The ninjette is my only mode of transportation. If I need a car due to the weather or I am going to some event wearing a business suit, I rent a car from http://www.enterprisecarshare.com/ (When I was in Baltimore, I used ZipCar)
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #77
Ninjinsky

I love my cars as much as bikes, for many years I had one of these, Sunbeam Rapiers, a pillarless coupe. Blue with a white interior.
They were kind of the British Plymouth Barracuda
Anyone remember the Hurst Hemi Under Glass ?

Last futzed with by Ninjinsky; July 11th, 2014 at 08:23 AM.