ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 18th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #1
PloXyZeRO
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Bike doesn't go straight? Also bike is ticking?

Hello! I've had this issue since I bought my 2008 Ninja 250R back in April. I was naive and didn't notice until a few days after, but I never really thought about fixing it until now.

If I take my hands off my handlebars, my bike goes left. What could be causing this? I know there are probably a number of things. My friend thinks there is frame damage, but I'm wondering if it could be something else that's causing it?

Also, my bike makes a ticking noise when it's running. My friend helped me do a valve adjustment back in May, and it stopped for a while, but it started again earlier this month. Do I need to do another valve adjustment? Or could it be another problem? My bike still runs fine from what I can tell, however.

Thanks!
PloXyZeRO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2014, 01:09 AM   #2
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Is the ticking happening at idle or while you ride? If it's the latter, have your chain slack and rear wheel alignment checked. It's possible the chain is too tight on one side. Loosening the right side adjuster by a few quarter turns may help. This is assuming that the chain that's on isn't 6 years old now.
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2014, 04:46 AM   #3
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by PloXyZeRO View Post
....If I take my hands off my handlebars, my bike goes left. What could be causing this? I know there are probably a number of things. My friend thinks there is frame damage, but I'm wondering if it could be something else that's causing it?
It's not a good idea to ride around with no hands on the bars.
Has the bike ever been win an accident? It's possible both fork tubes could be twisted in the triple tree clamps, your control cables are binding or your steering head is too tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PloXyZeRO View Post
....Also, my bike makes a ticking noise when it's running. My friend helped me do a valve adjustment back in May, and it stopped for a while, but it started again earlier this month. Do I need to do another valve adjustment? Or could it be another problem? My bike still runs fine from what I can tell, however.
A slight ticking noise is normal especially when the engine is cold, but usually reduces in sound once warmed up. A loud clacking noise may mean your cam chain needs adjusting.

Ticking while the bike is moving may also be that your chain and sprockets are either worn or out of alignment.

If you are unsure how to correctly fix any of these things, you may want to have a dealer look at it for you.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If it's not frame or fork damage, your rear wheel may be misaligned. Though it would have to be off quite a bit to cause it to veer as strongly as you're describing.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2014, 07:38 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
even with a bent frame and misaligned wheels the bike will autocorrect to go straight more or less (even though the bike will look crooked going down the road and wont feel right turning). i would be more likely to believe its a play issue combined with a tire / wheel issue... i hate to seriously say this but i would look at the front stem bearings and wheel bearings first and check out the front tire... is it worn on one side and not the other? it could be something really simple like the brake line or clutch line being routed wrong and putting pressure on the bars in one direction