ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 28th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #1
Ryosen11
ninjette.org member

Name: sho

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR Ninja 250R(sold)

question on buying a bike from a private seller

My friend is looking to buy an 09 ninjette this weekend from a private seller. The seller still owes money on the bike so he is saying my friend can pay and take the bike home and the seller will get the title from his bank next week and send it to her. If she decides to buy it she will get the bill of sale from the seller for the proof. Does she need to get anything else? or would that be enough? I appreciate your advice!
Ryosen11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

I smell a rat.

I would tell your friend to accompany the seller to the bank to have the bike be actually paid off.

Either that, or just give up on the sale. I wouldn't buy a bike from someone without a clear title.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Some people go through with deals like this and everything works out great. Others find themselves disappointed. Unless it's an incredibly screaming deal, I wouldn't chance it. And even then, I probably wouldn't anyway. Suggest to the seller to pay the rest of the bike off on a credit card, get the title in hand, sell the bike, pay the credit card back.

I don't necessarily think it's a scam, I just think it's a lazy seller and an over-eager buyer.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #4
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Get a notorized bill of sale
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #5
Ryosen11
ninjette.org member

Name: sho

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR Ninja 250R(sold)

She will be looking the bike at the sellers house and the guy seems legit so thought it would be alright since she is taking the bike home but I wasn't 100% sure. I will suggest not to chance it. Thank you!
Ryosen11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #6
izmail1215
ninjette.org member

Name: SaM

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250r, 2009 650r

I wouldn't do it to much of a risk.
izmail1215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #7
bobguy
ninjette.org member

Name: steve

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

I purchased my 09 ninja with this exact scenario. It was a little fishy to me. But everything worked out O.K. It took the Previous Owner 2 weeks to get me the title...I was getting a little nervous. I made the purchase through ebay and paid with paypal...so I guess it is a little different.

It is still a risk. It's hard to tell with some people.

Old May 28th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #8
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

It's not like it's hard to find a used bike for cheap lately.
My advice would be no title, no sale.
Posted via Mobile Device
capt_bugaloo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2010, 10:15 PM   #9
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

I would agree with going with the person to pay off the bike. Don't hand over any money until the person needs it to pay off the bike. Then, when they have the title, pay them the rest. Personally though, I'd just find a bike whose owner has the title in hand. There are plenty of bikes out there.

Old May 29th, 2010, 01:50 AM   #10
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

A lot of the time you will be OK doing this type of transaction. Just be sure the guy seems trustworthy and you get both keys to the bike and take it home and hide that mofo. Get copies of all the papers and hang on to the bike until you get the title. Make sure it's his real address and all that. Bill of sale for each person, you might even fill out a release of liability form that you can get from the DMV even though you don't have the title yet too.

Sometimes people can't afford to pay it off so they need you to pay it off for them in order for you to take the bike off their hands. You can get killer deals like this if you are willing to chance it. If you have release of liability form filled out, the motorcycle itself and bill of sale, I think the cops will be on your side. Specially if they see they guy recently paid off the bike like he was about to sell it to someone and then hung on to the title instead.

Possession is 9/10ths of the law. Get the bike and all the papers you can and you'll be fine.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2010, 05:42 AM   #11
tinng321
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tin

Motorcycle(s): 08 black 250r (sold); '09 black zx6r

I went thru this with my 08 250.
It depends. I can usually tell if someone is honest or not. What I did was went to the seller's house to look at the bike that way if something goes wrong at lease I have an address. I know it's not right to say this but I usually associate the person to the environment. She lived in a nice neighborhood, her house was nice and neat and her family was there. All of these things kind of gave me an idea what kind of person she was. In the end, it's all about business so a contract is a must. I typed out a contract to include both of our names, addresses and driver's lc #s. We both signed 2 copies and had her notirized them before I handed over the bank check.
Hope this help.
GL
tinng321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #12
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Go to the bank and hand the money of to them to get a lean release, they may also notarize the title while you are there.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote