ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 9th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #1
mj23retired
ninjette.org member

Name: Ernie

Motorcycle(s): green 2010 ninja 250r

Avoiding a lemon

Alright guys, I have been lurking on the site for a couple of months now, trying to get as much ninja (and bike in general) knowledge I can. I have now passed the MSF course and have my license, which means my next step is getting a bike!

I have been doing a lot of searching on craigslist and have found a few leads on bikes that I plan to follow up with this weekend. My biggest fear however is getting a lemon (I have always been leery of used car buying). I am taking a buddy with me who knows more than I do about bikes to test drive/look over it for me but I'm still nervous.

If a bike starts/runs/shifts through all the gears for a test drive, are there any things I still need to be worried about? Is there a bike equivalent of a "check engine light that I can look for? I'm sure it is entirely possible for a bike to perform well one day and then not the next but is there anyway to lessen this risk?

Thanks in advance for any help or reassurances.

Btw. I know there is a "before you buy checklist" but I'm not sure my buddy is competent in checking all those things.
mj23retired is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:09 AM   #2
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Buy a Ninja 250 with less than 15K miles that was made after 2001. The bikes are simple and easy to work on and don't have a lot of problems. Ask whether the bike has been laid down and the details about that. Look for road rash on the mufflers, handlebar ends, brake/clutch levers, mirrors and the plastics. The shifter and rear brake pedal also tend to get messed up when the bike is laid down. Look for cobbling in those areas as idiots tend to do weird things down there. Also, look at the tank. I haven't seen one without a ding yet, but it should be unpunctured and the inside should be clean bare metal with no rust of any kind. Look at the oil and make sure its up (measured with the bike is on the center stand). Ask when the last valve adjustment was done and the last oil change. Worn tires aren't a bad thing, but they tend to go hand in hand with worn brakes. Look at the brake rotors and inspect them for grooves. Look at the brake fluid in the handlebar sight glass and make sure it is light amber clear and not brown. Look at the front fork and make sure its not bent. When stopping, press lightly on the brakes (on at a time) and check for throbbing or uneven braking. Anyhow, that should get you started.

In any event, its a good idea to learn how to work on the bike yourself. In addition to saving money, you'll learn what makes it tick and will know what is important and what isn't.

I would avoid bikes that have missing plastics. Plastics are very expensive to replace and if they are missing, its a sure bet that the bike has been in a bad wreck.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #3
mj23retired
ninjette.org member

n4mwd- thank you for confirming my belief. This is definitely the best forum I have ever been a part of. Not 30 minutes after my first post on this site I get a wonderful, well thought out response. I appreciate it, definitely helps calm my fears.

For some added details, the bike is an '09 with 5100 miles. This bike comes with a transferable, "Good Times Protection Plan" good through August 2014, which made me feel a little better also. It is going for $3000 which is about the norm for a bike of this year/mileage in my area.

Old February 9th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #4
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Just make sure it is red
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #5
mj23retired
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oroboros View Post
Just make sure it is red
Damn it is green...must be a lemon . Or would that be a lime? (ok bad joke)

Old February 9th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #6
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Welcome to the site Ernie...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #7
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj23retired View Post
Damn it is green...must be a lemon . Or would that be a lime? (ok bad joke)
LOL - lime. Good luck in your search.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #8
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Here's something that may or may not help.

The EX-250's little engine can be tough or delicate depending on one thing, oil. If the bike's oil is carefully maintained the engine will last and last, but let the oil get old or let it run low just once and you've thrown it's future into doubt.

The problem is that there's no obvious way to tell just from looking at the bike.

If I was buying one now I'd do the same thing I did the first time. Don't buy the bike that's had three owners or the bike that sat outdoors. Go for the one-owner bike that lived a happy life inside a clean garage of a nice house in a good neighborhood. You've got to look at the lifestyle of the prior owner. If the garage, house, and yard are well maintained then the chances are the bike was well maintained also.

Good luck.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #9
mj23retired
ninjette.org member

Is there any way of almost reversing a bike's past? If that makes sense. For instance, you're right there is no way of knowing, and I doubt a guy is going to turn down cold hard cash by saying he let the engine oil run low. However, assuming the bike still runs fairly well, and I can get it home and start babying it, at only 5000 miles, is this baby too far gone?

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #10
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Buying an 09 with only 5K miles on it you have a good chance of getting a one-owner bike. I wouldn't bother with the warranty unless the seller will throw in the transfer fee for free. All it is is just gambling. If you get it, you are betting the warranty company that your bike will break and they will consider it "covered".

And I second the "garage kept" point. Bike kept outdoors tend to ruse more and get finish damage more. Best to bring it in and make the girlfriend stay outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sleeping with the bike.jpg (32.3 KB, 4 views)
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #11
mj23retired
ninjette.org member

can you explain the transfer fee? i thought the fact that a warranty was included would be a plus.

Old February 9th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #12
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Usually there's an administrative fee you have to pay to the manufacturer in order for them to transfer the warranty from the original owner to the new owner. Otherwise, if the bike is registered in your name but the warranty is still registered to the original owner, any warranty claims you try to make will not be honored.

The only thing I'll add on top of what's already been mentioned is also do the normal walk around checks on the bike that I'm sure you were taught in your MSF course. That means checks for the horn, all lights, throttle play and signals, front and back suspension test, etc.. Check the chain slack and make sure it's not too tight or too loose and that it's been well lubed. A dry chain usually means a careless owner. Check the chain when bike is off just for safety. Also squeeze both the front and back brakes and check the brake lines and seals for any leaks or bulges. Check that the choke operation works and the idle speed of the bike when warm should be around 1250 rpm. As for tire wear, check the pattern of the wear. If it's only down the middle of the tires than that means the bike has been used normally. If there's a lot of wear on the edges of the tires, that could mean that the bike was raced.

As always, make sure you check out bikes during the daytime when there's good sunlight. It's a good idea to bring a small flashlight so you can get a better peek inside the nooks and crannies of the bike where natural light doesn't normally reach. That's most of the visual checks I can think of right now but don't forget to use your other senses, meaning hearing and feel. Listen for any weird sounds, ticking etc. If it doesn't sound right or feel right, don't be afraid to walk away.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #13
kkim

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64673
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote